Toast Alex Keath

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it time to acknowledge that Jake Lever was and is not worth even close to what Melbourne paid for him? I mean a Cat B rookie is now doing what he did.

*and to all the nufties that isn't a broad everything is great at the AFC comment and we all know they don't get everything right so please we don't need your angst.

I’m not sure that I’ve read anyone posting that they’d have preferred to pay Lever the $850k he was reportedly offered by Melbourne.

Is it time to acknowledge that Jake Lever was and is not worth even close to what Melbourne paid for him? I mean a Cat B rookie is now doing what he did.

*and to all the nufties that isn't a broad everything is great at the AFC comment and we all know they don't get everything right so please we don't need your angst.

Now? We well and truly acknowledged it last year when Doedee did it.

Hell we well and truly acknowledged it when Melbourne signed it. It was a shocking deal.

With resigning Keith, I'm completely apathetic to it. Good but is completely and utterly replaceable. The money is the make or break here and over 500k would see me preferring a draft pick.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So who is coaching our rebounding/lose half backs? Because we've had some of the best in the league for years and it seems like we wouldn't have a single coach who had been there during it all.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So who is coaching our rebounding/lose half backs? Because we've had some of the best in the league for years and it seems like we wouldn't have a single coach who had been there during it all.
What they've done better this year is actually defend. Smith and Laird aren't known for it but they've been great 1v1 this year.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
What they've done better this year is actually defend. Smith and Laird aren't known for it but they've been great 1v1 this year.

I thought Laird was always ok 1 on 1 as long as he got the 2nd or 3rd best small forward. But yeah Smith was never great at it but has stepped up the last few weeks.

If you have a settled defensive structure, it's the easiest position on the field to do well.

Really though, if you can't find a good intercept defender you may as well disband as you are a joke of a club.

I don't think other sides have had players do those positions as well, as consistantly as we have.

Probably because we've "lost" more in those positions. That said, there isn't many sides who have struggled there either.

Crows123

Senior List
Sep 8, 2007
Ottoway, Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is no doubt Keath now has currency for a trade with GC (lets face it, he will earn a lot more money there and Dew needs some wins next year or he will be the next Bolton under extreme pressure), I would trade him and pick 19 for Rankine or Lukosious….we might need to throw in Jenkins and $200K of his salary for the next 2 years.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
There is no doubt Keath now has currency for a trade with GC (lets face it, he will earn a lot more money there and Dew needs some wins next year or he will be the next Bolton under extreme pressure), I would trade him and pick 19 for Rankine or Lukosious….we might need to throw in Jenkins and $200K of his salary for the next 2 years.
No way Keath would accept going to the GC, he could name his club and price almost in Melbourne.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You need to give something to get Rankine or Lukosious (and CG could be desperate enough to do it with Dew wanting results next year in his 3rd year) and could both Doedee and Keath play in the same team in similar role was my thinking.
Keath plays instead of Hartigan or Kelly.

Simple.

Why would we even contemplate trading him ??

Money.

We've seen time and time again what Keath is doing right now isn't that valuable money wise because it is an easy position to replace performance wise (we've done it multiple times this decade). This is a deal we want cheap, otherwise, there is no point keeping Alex. Someone else can fill the void just as well.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Money.

We've seen time and time again what Keath is doing right now isn't that valuable money wise because it is an easy position to replace performance wise (we've done it multiple times this decade). This is a deal we want cheap, otherwise, there is no point keeping Alex. Someone else can fill the void just as well.
No thanks.

I'd rather keep our good players, Keath and/or Doedee can play other roles. In fact I reckon Doedee could play many different roles.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
You need to give something to get Rankine or Lukosious (and CG could be desperate enough to do it with Dew wanting results next year in his 3rd year) and could both Doedee and Keath play in the same team in similar role was my thinking.
We're not getting Luko or Rankine.

Being an intercept defender alone isnt all that valuable, sure. I don't think Keath is limited to that though. He can be a rebounding KPP capable of beating a direct opponent. Those are very valuable.

The problem with Lever was he struggles 1v1. Keath doesnt.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Being an intercept defender alone isnt all that valuable, sure. I don't think Keath is limited to that though. He can be a rebounding KPP capable of beating a direct opponent. Those are very valuable.

The problem with Lever was he struggles 1v1. Keath doesnt.
We saw last night just how quick he is.
Reckon he could be a quality forward too.

Back