Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he was a fair way behind and he made up a lot of ground on him, if he'd held it too long he would have been caught. Petrucelli looks super fast, DMac not so much but the proof was there in front of the camera.
Pretty clear Petruccelle wasn't going top speed though...

I thought they played really well considering how well West Coast were playing, and how many inexperienced players we had.

Sinclair had 11 contested possessions. Bruce's marking.

Seriously can't believe people are saying lack of effort and making it seem like we under performed.

Go back to last October , and start telling people that the Saints could beat West Coast , without McCartin, Geary, Carlisle and Steven. You'd be missing this season because you'd be locked up.
They held up well, they actually had a chance. Great effort by the boys .

How much consideration to previous weeks when picking the rising star nomination?
A Richmond forward kicked 4 goals so that will take it away from Battle this week unless they consider how good he has been throughout the whole season while this is the richmond's players only real stand out game.

I thought they played really well considering how well West Coast were playing, and how many inexperienced players we had.

Sinclair had 11 contested possessions. Bruce's marking.

Seriously can't believe people are saying lack of effort and making it seem like we under performed.

Go back to last October , and start telling people that the Saints could beat West Coast , without McCartin, Geary, Carlisle and Steven. You'd be missing this season because you'd be locked up.
They held up well, they actually had a chance. Great effort by the boys .
Not to nitpick but... Do we really miss McCartin? We honestly look better without him.

How much consideration to previous weeks when picking the rising star nomination?
A Richmond forward kicked 4 goals so that will take it away from Battle this week unless they consider how good he has been throughout the whole season while this is the richmond's players only real stand out game.

It seems to be based on whoever the commentators won't shut up about. Battle deserves it but I am doubtful he will even be thought about.

In other news theres a steam train at Southern Cross.
View attachment 672341

There’s one going through Oakleigh too!!!
That's not a train!

THIS; is a train!!!

vhwc5s.jpg

why is there so much hate for Ross on here . He had 31 disposals and 9 score involvements. His disposals arent always great but he gives a 100% every game .
I think because sometimes it feels like he is playing selfish football rather then selfless, he is a bit of a stat padder. I get that feeling when I watch him anyway..

Game went as expected. I’m not that disappointed in the game or the season, I’m disappointed in where we are as a club. We’ve got so much wrong on & off the field over the last 6 years & this is the result. A poor list & poor people in off field positions across the footy department. Despite the good start to the year & the endless injury excuses we look like a middling-bottom side with no light at the end of the tunnel. We’ve literally made no progress as a footy team since 2016. A wasted era that needs rebuilding from the ground up. Let’s hope Winx is our saviour.

nailed it.

I think because sometimes it feels like he is playing selfish football rather then selfless, he is a bit of a stat padder. I get that feeling when I watch him anyway..
Personally, I’ve never found that. I think Ross gives his absolute all and I’ve never considered him to be selfish in his decision making.

The source of frustration I think comes from his inability to hit targets inside 50. His constant helicopter bombs inside 50 are so wasteful from the positions he gets into.

Luck they kick 8 points in the last quarter
Yep should've won by more WC..
I reckon we should try something different and bomb it long to the top of the square.

Would Rooey have been more value as a CHB or CHF?

Clarkson like today is willing to switch roles for his players to catch the opposition off guard with match ups prior to the first bounce..
Impey is swung forward at the start of the match & bang nails 2 goals in the first qtr..
GWS are on the back foot at there most disliked venue before they catch there breath!!

Battle 21 dsp's, 9 marks, 5 tackles @ 95% eff..
Put those stats in the front half of the ground, & how better the scoreboard might've read!!
I believe Battle can be a 60-70 goal a year forward..
Playing Battle in the back half is undoubtedly robbing us of a player in the Rooey mold up forward in my view..

Marsh as a 2nd/3rd tall defender is a no brainer that's where he plays his best footy!!
Keep in mind not many sides are playing more than 2 players up forward over 194cm..

Battle, Bruce, Membrey would be my first 3 talls to line up next week against the Pies matching up with Roughhead, Howe & Moore..
Brown will take Mihocek, Joyce in to line up on Reid/Cox..
Marsh given the challenge of nullifying De Goey because we haven't anybody else who can physically man De Goey..

My first rant for the year..

Put those stats in the front half of the ground, & how better the scoreboard might've read!!

Playing Battle in the back half is undoubtedly robbing us of a player in the Rooey mold up forward in my view..
That's not exactly how it works.
Playing in the backline allows him to run off his opponent and impact as the 3rd player, or hang out the back for our inevitable switch allows him to get those 2-3 stats without doing anything.
Zero chance he produces those types of numbers playing as a forward with our ball delivery.

Yep should've won by more WC..

Would Rooey have been more value as a CHB or CHF?

Clarkson like today is willing to switch roles for his players to catch the opposition off guard with match ups prior to the first bounce..
Impey is swung forward at the start of the match & bang nails 2 goals in the first qtr..
GWS are on the back foot at there most disliked venue before they catch there breath!!

Marsh as a 2nd/3rd tall defender is a no brainer that's where he plays his best footy!!
Keep in mind not many sides are playing more than 2 players up forward over 194cm..

Battle, Bruce, Membrey would be my first 3 talls to line up next week against the Pies matching up with Roughhead, Howe & Moore..
Brown will take Mihocek, Joyce in to line up on Reid/Cox..
Marsh given the challenge of nullifying De Goey because we haven't anybody else who can physically man De Goey..

My first rant for the year..
And a quality rant it was my friend! For all the gushing about Battle as a permanent defender, remember we have more cover there than
Up forward, and as Sheza correctly points out what if his improvement translates in a Fwd role where we obviously are struggling to kick a
Winning score! Think it's great he has taken to being a defender so well and no doubt it will help his overall game,
But it just may be that he is a very talented footballer fullstop and would acquit himself well wherever we put him!

He was recruited as a forward, showed great potential and natural instinct as a fwd at times last year, now with Marsh ready to go down back
Why wouldn't we try something revolutionary and play him or at least switch him forward when we can't buy a goal for long periods as in recent weeks?
Not only kicks goals but is very creative and can help enormously with our transition with plenty of assists as well!
Agree also on Marsh, why the hell we played him fwd last week still mystifies me but he shows great promise as strong marking fast rebounder
Who can defend quite well too! Rather bullish that he will prove to be a real find for us, if used properly!
Not as convinced he should take De Goey though, would rather him take a key position or at least a taller match up, would try Webster or Mckenzie
On him first, they both have the speed to go with him and in Webster's case could even expose him going the other way! Doesn't strike me as a
Complete two way runner does De Goey as good as the cocky prick is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking at that last night. Looks like off the back of last year’s arse blow out we’ve reset to 2016-7 levels.
Yeah with the current injuries to us, it makes us just off the pace with the better teams!
All clubs have to deal with injuries i know, but we more than most need as close to our best team on the park to realistically stand
A chance of going with the best teams on a consistent basis!
Which of course is still possible of happening during the 2nd half of the year! A little luck for a change would be nice!

I think if we can keep that up, with our draw we'd most likely sneak into the 8 at seasons end?

If we win all our games against teams currently outside the 8 then I have us 12 wins in 8th spot.

The games that look like determining whether we play finals appear to be:
Port in China
Brisbane at Marvel
GC away
Dogs at Marvel

I had us winning 3 & dropping the Bris game based on them being the only side currently in the 8. Though I think we could easily lose all of those games & if I had to bet on them now I’d say we are underdogs in all those matches.

My guess at this stage is 9 wins for the year.

Last edited:
Personally, I’ve never found that. I think Ross gives his absolute all and I’ve never considered him to be selfish in his decision making.

The source of frustration I think comes from his inability to hit targets inside 50. His constant helicopter bombs inside 50 are so wasteful from the positions he gets into.
And when he's #1 for inside 50s like last weekend, it's a significant problem for us.
In fact he's our #1 for inside 50s this season on 43 compared to 32 from the next best. Credit to him for getting the ball and getting it in dangerous positions, but when arguably your worst user going inside 50 is doing it that much more than anybody else...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back