2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Agree we are fickle. An fair enough. The average 45 year old Hawthorn member has probably been to 40 finals including 10+ grand finals. Playing the Giants on Mother’s Day is nothing to get too excited about. We only seem to turn up when we play Cats, Pies and Sydney.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
We should get around 60K against the Hawks next week I would hope.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Mother's Day is the graveyard shift of the year, particularly in Melbourne. Recent crowd results confirm this to be the case:
2011 - Essendon (5th) v WCE (7th) at Docklands, 33k. Massive unders for the Bombers at Docklands.
2011 - Melbourne (8th) v Adelaide (12th) at MCG, 19k. Anything under 20k at the MCG is poor
2012 - North Melbourne (10th) v Dogs (13th) at Docklands, 20k. For two Melbourne clubs, very poor
2013 - Melbourne (17th) v GC (13th) at MCG, 13k. Poor even given Melbourne's lowly position
2014 - No games in Melbourne. The AFL were in the middle of experimenting with Saints v Blues on Monday night
2015 - Carlton (17th) v Brisbane (18th) at Docklands, 20k. Actually quite good considering
2016 - Saints (12th) v North Melbourne (1st) at Docklands, 27k. Par for those two teams
2017 - Richmond (6th) v Freo (9th) at MCG, 31k. Probably the best example of how Mothers Day impacts on Melbourne crowds. Massive unders considering ladder position
2018 - North Melbourne (7th) v Richmond (1st) at Docklands, 29k. Again very poor, even though it was an away game for Richmond.
2018 - Collingwood (9th) v Geelong (6th) at MCG, 44k. Pies not immune from poor scheduling

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Total attendance’s after round 8

669C2F2B-E246-499F-9163-A5E4941982B0.jpeg

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Just stating facts

But you're wrong so thats where the trolling comes in to it. Don't u support Fitzroy?

U wouldn't know, well u would as u follow the lions and went over to the pies. But pies losing 5K in members with not playing finals in 2014-2017. Thats a tad fickle yeah but back on board after playing in the granny, thats FACT.
Now one can only imagine if your mob only played finals 1 or 2 times in 3 decades trust me your crowds would dive. No one is immune to that long of failure inc my team.
Anyway stay on topic to the game at hand without doing what u normally do and that is to troll on Richmond.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
But you're wrong so thats where the trolling comes in to it. Don't u support Fitzroy?

U wouldn't know, well u would as u follow the lions and went over to the pies. But pies losing 5K in members with not playing finals in 2014-2017. Thats a tad fickle yeah but back on board after playing in the granny, thats FACT.
Now one can only imagine if your mob only played finals 1 or 2 times in 3 decades trust me your crowds would dive. No one is immune to that long of failure inc my team.
Anyway stay on topic to the game at hand without doing what u normally do and that is to troll on Richmond.

Lol this is not the forum to take pot shots. Take it to the bay and I’ll
Take you on their......

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol this is not the forum to take pot shots. Take it to the bay and I’ll
Take you on their......

Lmao i dont post in there hahaha but u do going by that post!
Listen just dont be a troll at every opportunity at Richmond, do that and u wont have myself or others go at you.
Anyways leaving it there!

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawthorn most fickle fans in the competition. Even more so then Richmond
Yep What would you expect from Hawthorn?
They are NOT one of the big four never have been and never will be!It really brings their membership numbers into question.
God knows how bad their support would be if they spent a few years at the bottom.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Yep What would you expect from Hawthorn?
They are NOT one of the big four never have been and never will be!It really brings their membership numbers into question.
God knows how bad their support would be if they spent a few years at the bottom.
And cats draw 20k against another Melbourne club. Perhaps Geelong fans are more fickle than Hawthorn?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Why does Mother’s Day seem to impact crowds in Melbourne so much more than in Perth or Adelaide?

Its called choice. When you have 11-12 games to choose from instead of 16-17, you pick and choose whether Mothers day is a football hill you want to die on...or you just go next week

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Its called choice. When you have 11-12 games to choose from instead of 16-17, you pick and choose whether Mothers day is a football hill you want to die on...or you just go next week

That's not the case with Hawthorn though given they play 4 home games a year in Launceston. They only get 12 or 13 games in Melbourne a year, pretty much the same as the Perth or Adelaide teams get in their home city.

Mother's Day is the graveyard shift of the year, particularly in Melbourne. Recent crowd results confirm this to be the case:
2011 - Essendon (5th) v WCE (7th) at Docklands, 33k. Massive unders for the Bombers at Docklands.
2011 - Melbourne (8th) v Adelaide (12th) at MCG, 19k. Anything under 20k at the MCG is poor
2012 - North Melbourne (10th) v Dogs (13th) at Docklands, 20k. For two Melbourne clubs, very poor
2013 - Melbourne (17th) v GC (13th) at MCG, 13k. Poor even given Melbourne's lowly position
2014 - No games in Melbourne. The AFL were in the middle of experimenting with Saints v Blues on Monday night
2015 - Carlton (17th) v Brisbane (18th) at Docklands, 20k. Actually quite good considering
2016 - Saints (12th) v North Melbourne (1st) at Docklands, 27k. Par for those two teams
2017 - Richmond (6th) v Freo (9th) at MCG, 31k. Probably the best example of how Mothers Day impacts on Melbourne crowds. Massive unders considering ladder position
2018 - North Melbourne (7th) v Richmond (1st) at Docklands, 29k. Again very poor, even though it was an away game for Richmond.
2018 - Collingwood (9th) v Geelong (6th) at MCG, 44k. Pies not immune from poor scheduling
Interesting.

You can also factor in that Hawthorn have been scheduled for four 3:20 Sunday games so far this year(and there’s more to come), so we’re bit over this scheduled timing in general, even prior to Mother’s Day.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Why does Mother’s Day seem to impact crowds in Melbourne so much more than in Perth or Adelaide?
Did seem to be a lot of my freo mates taking their mums to the game today as their mothers day thing rather than a lunch etc. But probably just the supply and demand though.

Back