Analysis Rebranding

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Rebranding is a good way to reset the club and take the club to a different direction. IMO, this will go a long way to solve our issues.

Our state of malaise can be associated with a lack of change. We do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Something as simple as a rebrand can change the mindset of the whole club. We're a tired club. It's quite obvious. Supporters are tired, the players are tired, our coaches are tired, the people with power are tired. We need to be reinvigorated. We need to establish an identity.

At the moment, we're all over the place. We continuously chase money, memberships and crowds. If that's our goal, then why would the club want to change when we're in a good financial position? We sell hope like no other and spend draft pick after draft pick to trade in talent for no change. Can anyone seriously tell me we have changed from 2017 after all of the spending spree? Better yet, any change since 2005? It's literally the same club with no difference in how we approach things. At the moment, it's all about winning off-seasons and jumping on the hype train.

First thing I would like to address is this home ground fiasco and the broader topic, chasing money.

We're in between two home grounds at the moment. We play half of our Melbourne games undercover and the other half out in the open. Both grounds play very differently. It's laughable.
The main aim for this arrangement is not success or premierships. It is money. Instead of building a brand or an identity, we chase the lucrative deals. We'll plaster anything on our jumper if it pays us well. Forget the brand. Forget building relationships with sponsors. Forget building an on-field brand tailored to weather conditions. It's all money.

The lack of foresight when we left the home of football to a concrete jungle is astounding. That was entirely a business decision as we were at the top of our game. It is no wonder that we lost our identity, our powerhouse status, our growth as a club and most importantly, our success. We left the home of finals for money.
Every problem we are facing now stems from this decision as it completely changed the mindset of our club.
It's time we stopped prioritising money and start looking at how we can give ourselves the best chance of success. On field success gives you off field success. Get out of Docklands and back to the MCG. Do everything you can to make the change. I don't care if it loses us money in the interim. It will be made up for.

Second thing. Rebrand your image to reinvigorate the club.

People underestimate what something as simple as a logo change or a jumper change can do. You might laugh, but it has a proven track record. It gives the club a mental opportunity to leave the past behind and make a change. After all, mental application is what we struggle with the most right?

Here are some recent examples:

Geelong changed their logo for 2008 to usher in probably the most dominant period in the modern era.
Hawthorn also changed their logo for 2008 to do the same thing.
Richmond changed their logo for the 2012 season to leave 30 years of mediocrity behind and reset as a club. They obviously went on to win a premiership after they failed to make finals from 2001-2012.
Fremantle completely rebranded for 2012 as well and played in their first grand final the year after.
Bulldogs changed their logo for the 2015 season to win only their second premiership the year after.
More recently, West Coast rebranded back to the royal blue wings and changed their logo for the 2018 season and went on to win the premiership.
Collingwood also changed their logo for the 2018 season and fell short by 5 points in the grand final after a period of mediocrity.

We're one of only 3 teams who haven't rebranded since the 90s. The other two are Sydney (who don't need to rebrand) and St Kilda. Point is, we need a rebrand. This is a perfect example of why we're struggling to adapt to the modern era. Richmond, another team who struggled to adapt, admitted to needing a rebrand and went on to win a premiership when they did. We need to move to the MCG and rebrand to establish an identity and start fresh again.

If these two things happen along with some changes in personnel, I will be more comfortable with the direction of the club. At the moment, we're going around in circles no matter what player we trade in, who we draft or who our coach is.

Well explained and written but is not something IMO holds much weight. Hawthorn where well on their way to the three peat by 2007. The ground work was already done. Not sure the logo had anything to do with it. Geelong also won a flag in 2007.
MCG is an interesting one but the Pies and Tigers results may argue in your favour but the Dogs would argue against and Geelong and Hawthorn play home games at 3 venues.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Well explained and written but is not something IMO holds much weight. Hawthorn where well on their way to the three peat by 2007. The ground work was already done. Not sure the logo had anything to do with it. Geelong also won a flag in 2007.
MCG is an interesting one but the Pies and Tigers results may argue in your favour but the Dogs would argue against and Geelong and Hawthorn play home games at 3 venues.
But Hawthorn and Geelong play in venues that favour them. They have home ground advantage at York Park and KP respectively. No other team plays more than 1 game there a year. For Hawthorn, some teams might play there once a 2-3 years. It's basically 4 wins in the bank for them.

If we for arguments sake split home games between the MCG and Windy Hill, the advantage would be in our favour. We're essentially doing what Geelong does with the MCG without any advantage.

Regarding the logo change, so many teams can be well on their way to something. Actually doing it is another story. Geelong came from a decade of mediocrity. They won a premiership sure, but backing up a good performance isn't easy. Leaving the era of mediocrity behind and rebranding to consolidate their position helps.

Rebranding is not just a common tactic for sports teams. Many businesses do that to change direction or reinvigorate the business. It's both a marketing tool and a strategy to change mental application.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
How do you know your rebrand isn't just wall papering over cracks?

It's clearly the type of route we would take...new fairy lights, oriental plants, mood lighting... It's like a makeover on the block, looks good until about the time the cameras leave.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
How do you know your rebrand isn't just wall papering over cracks?

It's clearly the type of route we would take...new fairy lights, oriental plants, mood lighting... It's like a makeover on the block, looks good until about the time the cameras leave.
It's not papering over the cracks if it means something. Rebranding and playing most games at the MCG would do wonders for a club that struggles with identity and mental application. I've already listed how it impacted other clubs. Especially a side like Richmond of all teams.

I don’t really have a problem with a new logo. Perhaps in line with our 150th anniversary and the addition of a women’s team/expanded facilities.

I also don’t have a problem with playing more games at the MCG. Though I don’t think it makes a great deal of difference. Teams win because they’re good teams not because of their home ground.

But I don’t think changing either of those things is going to cause the club and it’s inhabitants to suddenly treat the game in a more professional manner. We wouldn’t suddenly play differently or win more wearing another team’s uniform either. Correlation and causation.

i think maybe we just dont dump kick it into the 50 every time we get it.

fixing that will do more good then a rebrand....

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
The rot starts from within. I think we need a review of all roles and a major clean out, starting at the top with Xavier (AFL yes man) right down to the boot studder.

The Saga is still affecting us and all associated with the club during that time must be gone before we will truly move on IMO.

Hird, I believe, played players during his final year(s) that probably didn't necessarily deserve a game, due to what the club had put them through. Are we still doing it?

Why do we continuously persist with Myers? Did we gift Heppell the captaincy because we took away a year from his short career? Hurley can spud it up at times but overall still deserves to be playing for now. Hooker is our true leader IMO, he can marshall the troops and create that piece of inspiring play that can lift others. Heppell does not do this, he's just a good guy. TBC plays as we have no real options to speak of.

Hooker will be 33 when his contract is up, Hurley 32. My concern is that when age catches up to them, which can come around pretty fast for footballers, will we gift them games due to the Saga, or will we be brave enough to play them in the seconds?

I would love our home games to all be played at the G but a rebrand I'm rather meh about, I don't care one way or the other. What I do care about is on field success and the after affects of the Saga is part of what is holding us back.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not papering over the cracks if it means something. Rebranding and playing most games at the MCG would do wonders for a club that struggles with identity and mental application. I've already listed how it impacted other clubs. Especially a side like Richmond of all teams.

Here's the thing though...... We don't ever do anything cause it means something, anything we ever do is about optics. We are an insecure football club only worrying about what anybody else thinks of us.

Hence the constant media releases and need to reply to any rumour or gossip or media jibe.

Anything we ever do is stamped with the we are Essendon big club powerhouse mantra ...it's all smoke and mirrors.

Tell me when was the last time the club ever did anything to make you proud? To make you glad you are a fan... (Other than winning)

The key to a solid footy club is when you can build a meaning to your fan base irrespective of results, it's deep, entrenched, win or lose, good or bad, everybody is one.

Not us, we survive on the biggest Ponzi scheme there is, selling hope. There's only so long you can feed off that til it comes crumbling down.. eventually you need success oresle the model crumbles.

Any rebrand needs to turn around from the footy world , show them our backs and say Fu, we do the care what any of you think.. we are doing what we do for us. Breed an us vs the world mentality, rain hail or shine...it's not about winning or losing, it's more, it's a passion, a mindset...a tribe.

Until we get there any rebrand will be another poxy excercise in pr and showing the footy world how big we are

Slap on another layer of wall paper, few more fairy lights...we are Essendon! 16 flags! Powerhouse.

Stuff that.

Who cares how big your house is if it's got wood rot.

Our fan base is fickle and flakey... Boos at the drop of a hat, only happy when winning.. it feeds off to the players

We need to be better, they need to give us better.

But Hawthorn and Geelong play in venues that favour them. They have home ground advantage at York Park and KP respectively. No other team plays more than 1 game there a year. For Hawthorn, some teams might play there once a 2-3 years. It's basically 4 wins in the bank for them.

If we for arguments sake split home games between the MCG and Windy Hill, the advantage would be in our favour. We're essentially doing what Geelong does with the MCG without any advantage.

Regarding the logo change, so many teams can be well on their way to something. Actually doing it is another story. Geelong came from a decade of mediocrity. They won a premiership sure, but backing up a good performance isn't easy. Leaving the era of mediocrity behind and rebranding to consolidate their position helps.

Rebranding is not just a common tactic for sports teams. Many businesses do that to change direction or reinvigorate the business. It's both a marketing tool and a strategy to change mental application.

If we want a venue to suit us then we had better play all our home games under the roof then.

Your argument about Geelong and Hawthorn does not really stand up to the time line. The "rebrand" of both football departments started well before any logo change.
The current players are not going to play any better with a new logo or different jumper. The "rebrand" you are looking for comes from the football department.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Here's the thing though...... We don't ever do anything cause it means something, anything we ever do is about optics. We are an insecure football club only worrying about what anybody else thinks of us.

Hence the constant media releases and need to reply to any rumour or gossip or media jibe.

Anything we ever do is stamped with the we are Essendon big club powerhouse mantra ...it's all smoke and mirrors.

Tell me when was the last time the club ever did anything to make you proud? To make you glad you are a fan... (Other than winning)

The key to a solid footy club is when you can build a meaning to your fan base irrespective of results, it's deep, entrenched, win or lose, good or bad, everybody is one.

Not us, we survive on the biggest Ponzi scheme there is, selling hope. There's only so long you can feed off that til it comes crumbling down.. eventually you need success oresle the model crumbles.

Any rebrand needs to turn around from the footy world , show them our backs and say Fu, we do the care what any of you think.. we are doing what we do for us. Breed an us vs the world mentality, rain hail or shine...it's not about winning or losing, it's more, it's a passion, a mindset...a tribe.

Until we get there any rebrand will be another poxy excercise in pr and showing the footy world how big we are

Slap on another layer of wall paper, few more fairy lights...we are Essendon! 16 flags! Powerhouse.

Stuff that.

Who cares how big your house is if it's got wood rot.

Our fan base is fickle and flakey... Boos at the drop of a hat, only happy when winning.. it feeds off to the players

We need to be better, they need to give us better.
And that mentality started with our money hungry approach, stemming from the Docklands move. The whole purpose of selling hope is to better our financial position. I'll admit that Essendon do it better than any other club.

Neither the Essendon supporters nor the players will get behind an 'us vs them' mentality unless it is believable. It needs to start with building an identity that is removed from the current mentality. A visual change can bring about a mental change. We move to the MCG, rebrand and build the image of a powerful club. At the moment, all we do is claim that we've changed. Results stay exactly the same so there is no evidence of change. Visual queues can remind us of what commitments we've made. It's a simple marketing strategy, but an effective one as evidenced in the OP.

Unfortunately, we're in desperate times and this is a way of actually making a visible change that shows some sort of commitment to success.

Also, our fan base is far from fickle and flakey, which is why Essendon sells hope very effectively

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If we want a venue to suit us then we had better play all our home games under the roof then.

Your argument about Geelong and Hawthorn does not really stand up to the time line. The "rebrand" of both football departments started well before any logo change.
The current players are not going to play any better with a new logo or different jumper. The "rebrand" you are looking for comes from the football department.
Why would we go under the roof when all that's going to do is make us incapable of playing in wet or hot weather? That's our current issue and moving to the MCG will go a long way to change that.

I think you're not getting my argument. Any rebrand will have to come with electing the appropriate personnel to drive and change our perspective. It's not just about plastering another logo and away we go.

I'm talking about a complete rebrand, which includes a full football department review that most of those clubs went through (Eg. Collingwood after the 2017 season, Richmond after 2016, Geelong after 2006) and a change of venue.
The logo merely serves as a visual cue of the commitment to the proposed change.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If this means red shorts I'm out.

Edit; In all seriousness though I agree we should look at an overhaul of the brand. We have taken a hammering and it wouldn't hurt to redefine our message, starting internally and then externally. Im not sure how seriously the club takes member/supporter engagement but I think the feedback would be very interesting if they ask real questions like - if Hawthorn is the Family club, and North have shinboner spirit what is Essendon?

I agree on going back to the MCG as well. We need to do whatever (it takes) is required to win Premierships or bust our arse trying and I think the MCG makes sense for that.

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Why would we go under the roof when all that's going to do is make us incapable of playing in wet or hot weather? That's our current issue and moving to the MCG will go a long way to change that.

I think you're not getting my argument. Any rebrand will have to come with electing the appropriate personnel to drive and change our perspective. It's not just about plastering another logo and away we go.

I'm talking about a complete rebrand, which includes a full football department review that most of those clubs went through (Eg. Collingwood after the 2017 season, Richmond after 2016, Geelong after 2006) and a change of venue.
The logo merely serves as a visual cue of the commitment to the proposed change.
So instead of a football department overhaul we need a new marketing department?

You commented on Geelongs home ground advantage. The ground that suits our style is under the roof.

I get what you’re saying but IMO I do not think much of it. From personal experience I have found rebranding to be hit and miss.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
And that mentality started with our money hungry approach, stemming from the Docklands move. The whole purpose of selling hope is to better our financial position. I'll admit that Essendon do it better than any other club.

Neither the Essendon supporters nor the players will get behind an 'us vs them' mentality unless it is believable. It needs to start with building an identity that is removed from the current mentality. A visual change can bring about a mental change. We move to the MCG, rebrand and build the image of a powerful club. At the moment, all we do is claim that we've changed. Results stay exactly the same so there is no evidence of change. Visual queues can remind us of what commitments we've made. It's a simple marketing strategy, but an effective one as evidenced in the OP.

Unfortunately, we're in desperate times and this is a way of actually making a visible change that shows some sort of commitment to success.

Also, our fan base is far from fickle and flakey, which is why Essendon sells hope very effectively

i think basically we are on the same side of the argument here - the chase for money has sucked us dry of any meaning... I was whinging about the esports team, the continued use of pokies, all that stuff, rebuttal was always, we need new revenue streams to compete. Eventually somebody has to realise all the money in the world cant buy culture. Culture is earned over time by continued behavior. If we want to be a money hungry club, guess what, that's what we will be, a hollow fat pig at the trough nuzzling away... all the while, while our nose is in the trough we lose sight of what is really needed or required.

Further id argue our fans are fickle - ive never seen a fan base so quick to turn on their own - its disgusting. Your measure of fans sticking fat is because they rock up to games, I think that's just a direct result of the hope selling which I already explained is an untenable Ponzi scheme, eventually when you don't come with the goods it all falls flat. Crucially our club is probably the way it is because of the fickleness of the fans - fans whinge and moan and bey.. club reacts by selling more hope, fans expect success from the hope sell, beys, club sells the farm more to produce hope, fans expect success, on and on it goes... until you have cut corners on a supplements scheme.. or sold your precious first round draft picks for magic beans. But we won trade week three years running! We are winners still...

But this brings me to the most crucial point - we didn't sell our soul by going to the dome, it happened before that by going to the g! ...the almighty dollar trumped all, again.

The only way to have a real brand is to have your own ground imo.

The clubs all shat the bed, clearly the AFL wanted/wants 18 homogenous clubs, they are far easier to control that way..just templates with different colours , all playing out of the same two grounds, just change the badge each week and its your home round.. pfft, its not.

Look at the premier league, those grounds are fortresses, you know when you play away you are going to cop hell... your clubs history and culture is tangible, its right there.. everything that the club is, or was, is on the very ground you still reside at. You have volunteers manning the gates, all club people, building more bonds of culture, you get your own food vendors, local supply, more bonds.. that's what makes clubs!

We all envy Geelong, this is why.

They are the only ones that have what we all used to have...but sold it, for what? 20k extra seats? poor deal.

id take a 40k capacity, a must have ticket - that almost gives you 10 home wins a season and entry into the finals...

do you reckon if given the chance the clubs would all go back to their suburban fortresses? taken the power back off the empire?

look how fun it was for tottenham to build their own stadium - every little detail is theirs, club colours, club legend bars - a place to be proud of.

I know its not happening, its too far gone - but that was the beginning of the end of unique club cultures and the AFL slowly mashing all clubs into cookie cutters to suit their needs

Back