Autopsy Richmond d Freo Rd 8 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad someone is on the same page. The man love for Cerra has me confused as all hell. Slow, can’t chase, isn’t strong enough yet and skills lacking. Yes, he may become a good midfielder in time, but he is nowhere near ready

Yep at the minute he is being continually burnt for pace and strength. He needs a run at Peel as does Brayshaw.

Worried about Fyfe... Quite reckless throwing the elbow out like that

I think Fyfe thought it was going to be contact with Lynch's shoulder, like a bump/bracing for contact after not reaching the ball first, but Lynch stumbled and the hit was lower than expected. A suspension is just what we don't need but Freo has never done well with the MRP so probably likely.

Regarding the game itself I think the coaches box needs to share a big part of the blame, Lyon was out coached by Hardwick, even after they lost 2 players including their ruckman we didn't make adjustment to take advantage. When your team is looking like witches hats who have run out of gas and the opposition looks to be having the game of their life then its likely structural and strategic issues and not a whole team of bad individual performances.

Last edited:

I think Fyfe thought it was going to be contact with Lynch's shoulder, like a bump/bracing for contact after not reaching the ball first, but Lynch stumbled and the hit was lower than expected. A suspension is just what we don't need but Freo has never done well with the MRP so probably likely.

Regarding the game itself I think the coaches box needs to share a big part of the blame, Lyon was out coached by Hardwick, even after they lost 2 players including their ruckman we didn't make adjustment to take advantage. When your team is looking like witches hats who have run out of gas and the opposition looks to be having the game of their life then its likely structural and strategic issues and not a whole team of bad individual performances.
Interesting to see how the MRP will treat Fyfe and Ablett. Ablett’s on his second striking charge in two weeks.

The Fyfe hit sounded bad from 20 rows back and for a second I thought he had taken him out completely. He even stopped playing and started to apologise to Lynch. But Lynch seemed OK and ran off, so should be low impact. I think he's going to get offered a week with Christian's propensity to grade everything as intentional. It's not the first time Fyfe has done that sort of thing, he is a bit clumsy and maybe we can argue that it was careless.

So we had a whole bunch of players off.

Richmond also our a lot of time into our prime ball movers. Wilson Hill and Langdon has shadows most of the day and got burnt the other way.

Too many passengers. Richmond’s bottom 6 players still all contributed strongly. Our bottom 9 didn’t

Wtf? Cerra in the f***ing midfield will be very good. Not his fault Ross wants to waste him.
watched cerra play a fair bit of midfield time today
he was in there didnt count how many minutes but its a mute point
to add to that i saw him get bodied out of the contest by older bigger bodies when he was in there
it takes time to develop , hes just a kid

I agree with 90% of the analysis here so far. Just out classed. When a Tigers player is going for the ball, they are looking/thinking ahead to where they will play the ball once they get their hands on it. It seems like our boys go hard for the ball and have zero foresight. Its like they don't think about how they will use the ball until it's in hand... They almost look surprised/confused as to what to do once they get it. Poor game plan? Coaching? Lack of skill? I don't know, but we shouldn't be beat at home by Richmond's third-stringers. The silky ball use from the first few games has been absent the last two. Gotta turn it around next week if we want to have a sniff at finals.

Some thoughts.
1. (a)Working smart is better than working hard. Too many players going hard at the ball and therefore, getting sucked into the ball.
(b) Getting sucked into contest kills us on the spread and easier to defend by the opposition.
(c) Leads to hack kicks and hand passes to players under the pump.
(d) Teams play players behind the ball because we hack kick.

2. (a) Similar to the first (ball watching), players all want to tackle but the thing is two players attack the ball handler and leaves one player open.
(b) That creates an overlap. Then our next players runs at the player with ball from distance and creates another overlap.
(c) see above.

3. Players with the ball doesn't know where next free player will comes from. Leads to indecision and creates turnovers.

4. Our players need to get goal hungry around goals.

5. Too many fly at the ball and is similar to point 1.

The summary is we work hard but ball watch.

we were a bit off and kicked poorly at goal
they were on and accurate,
add to the fact we have at least 2 players who are just not good enough, who make up weak links in the chain, looking at you Hughes and Colyer
plus Langdon and Hill getting smashed on the outside midfield run
adds up 24 point loss to me

on a positive note, the Colyer and Hughes problem can be fixed by a Blakley and a Logue addition
thought Cox was okay and will be better for the run
Onwards and Upwards

Agree with most thats been said, barring the potting of Cox where I must have been watching a different game. Significantly better than McCarthy has been the last few weeks. His disposal is as good or better, he can handle it not being a perfect kick on the lead and he pressures better. Thought he made more than the two tackles credited. Took seven marks...

I would also like to add that Richmond are amazing to watch when on. Their skill was top notch, their spread incredible and the way they play is so unique. Just knock it on at any cost and run in a wave of numbers. There were several times they just blindly knocked it on into space or handpassed without looking for it to go directly to a player. Incredibly well drilled and organised

Again, I am on here defending a player getting bagged, Hughes miskicked it a couple of times but his defending was good on the main today and he went hard, put his body on the line. Nyhuis was worse than Hughes, Bolton kicked at least two of his goals on him. But in reality neither of them were amongst the worst today.

Mute point? Hardly. He got outbodied in one game, so let's continue to waste him off half back? Is that you Ross?
watched cerra play a fair bit of midfield time today
he was in there didnt count how many minutes but its a mute point
to add to that i saw him get bodied out of the contest by older bigger bodies when he was in there
it takes time to develop , hes just a kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard Crowley on SEN say his fear before the game was our forwards constantly flying for the same ball instead of spreading. Mentioned it during the second term.

This was a problem even when Crowley was around. We watched Lake win a Norm Smith courtesy of our pathetic entries. 6 years later Ross still has no forward structure.

Also said Switta is becoming one of his favs.

People are bagging Hogan, but some of these forwards are on a hiding to nothing with what happens up the ground. Conca had the blinkers on when he ran in for his shot from 50 and missed Hogan who darted out on a late lead that caught Richmond napping and was by himself about 30 straight in front. The Colyer goal was a poor percentage option and should have been passed to Hogan instead, who had his man done with a good kick to the fat side of the goalsquare.

Heard Crowley on SEN say his fear before the game was our forwards constantly flying for the same ball instead of spreading. Mentioned it during the second term.

This was a problem even when Crowley was around. We watched Lake win a Norm Smith courtesy of our pathetic entries. 6 years later Ross still has no forward structure.

Also said Switta is becoming one of his favs.
that's spot on

we were a bit off and kicked poorly at goal
they were on and accurate,
add to the fact we have at least 2 players who are just not good enough, who make up weak links in the chain, looking at you Hughes and Colyer
plus Langdon and Hill getting smashed on the outside midfield run
adds up 24 point loss to me

on a positive note, the Colyer and Hughes problem can be fixed by a Blakley and a Logue addition
thought Cox was okay and will be better for the run
Onwards and Upwards

Agree with your points on Cerra, he lacks pace and hasn't got the strength at the minute to break through the congestion like a Fyfe or Mundy. He isn't ready to play midfield. He has been in there sporadically with little effect. And you're right he is still a kid.
Brayshaw is in the same boat and both need a break .A week of and then come back through Peel.

Richmond were good, and could have easily won by 10 goals. I like watching them run in a wave up the flank,knocking it forward at top pace, Id love itifwe did more of that at times. Plus half the problem is the lackof movement for the kick, it's hard to make a pass in a stagnant fowardline. The other half is poor/rushed kicking, but the former causes the latter, maybe its even a cycle. Too often the small fowards are being the marking targets. I love watching Cox he's a beast, probably our only player to shrug a tackle all day except maybe Fyfe. Tabs keeps battling and running but wish he could play more games like the gws one.

Honest question, but am I the only one who doesn't understand when people say Cerra lacks pace in the middle? Kind of like Mundy and Pendlebury lack pace? Sam Mitchell, Cotchin, Callan Ward, Nick Dal Santo, Bontempelli have already shown ridiculously stupid that logic is. Cerra was the class of his draft. He's silky and creates time. Magnificent ball user (which is unfortunately why Ross plays him coming out of 50). If you get the ball and use it well as a midfielder, then speed is literally irrelevant. Give me a "slow" Pendlebury over a fast Treloar anyday of the week please.

We're rebuilding right? So Cerra's midfield minutes should be higher than what they currently are. His confidence playing out of position would be taking a hit.
Agree with your points on Cerra, he lacks pace and hasn't got the strength at the minute to break through the congestion like a Fyfe or Mundy. He isn't ready to play midfield. He has been in there sporadically with little effect. And you're right he is still a kid.
Brayshaw is in the same boat and both need a break .A week of and then come back through Peel.

Who’s our forward coach? Absolutely has no idea, whoever it is, with this team. How he can’t get forwards leading as a team or in a pattern. It’s bad, so bad

Honest question, but am I the only one who doesn't understand when people say Cerra lacks pace in the middle? Kind of like Mundy and Pendlebury lack pace? Sam Mitchell, Cotchin, Callan Ward, Nick Dal Santo, Bontempelli have already shown ridiculously stupid that logic is. Cerra was the class of his draft. He's silky and creates time. Magnificent ball user (which is unfortunately why Ross plays him coming out of 50). If you get the ball and use it well as a midfielder, then speed is literally irrelevant. Give me a "slow" Pendlebury over a fast Treloar anyday of the week please.

We're rebuilding right? So Cerra's midfield minutes should be higher than what they currently are. His confidence playing out of position would be taking a hit.

If you lack pace you need strength to break tackle or force through congestion. All those players you listed do lack pace but are strong through the hips. Cerra hasn't got that core strength yet. That's not stupid logic it's fact . He has had one full pre season and a rookie pre
Another few seasons in the gym and he will be our next Mundy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back