Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No big surprise in the poll for me, clearly Collingwood have an advantage over all other clubs for pretty obvious reasons. Geelong clearly second, they enjoy a big home ground advantage as interstate teams do but minus the travel factor. Even though I'm a Victorian, I think it stinks that the top rated qualifier for the Grand Final if an interstate club can potentially travel to meet a club playing at its home ground - eg West coast vs Collingwood last year- that is just unfair.

Or how much cash have any other Vic clubs put into the development of State-owned grounds?

Saints would no doubt like to do it with Moorrabin but good luck getting AFL HQ to schedule games there when you could schedule capacity crowd blockbusters at Marvel against Gold Coast, Adelaide, West Cost etc...

Maybe people could actually admit they have some advantages along with disadvantages like all clubs do

Spot on, travel for one, & its a twin edged blade ... not sleeping in your own bed, time in the air, & then there is the crowd. As a West Coast fan, wins on the road is my #1 indicator - its not an issue for Melbourne clubs, should tell you something.
Equally I hope we'll only lose 1-2 of the home games & if Freo are going OK, 1 of 2 derbies is best I hope for.
As for travel away I point to the attempt to interviews an injured Nick Natanui, late at night .
The game is stuck in the past talking about home ground advantage when in the AFL era its about the disadvantage of being 'on the road', but thats just an example of how so many people want the game to stay in the last century, hey its a national comp !!

Crowds: clearly Geelong & West Coast pull big crowds to their venues, more so than any other clubs - the Brian Cooke template I call it.

I smile at the two bob snobs that talk down franchise structure trying to pump up the membership model when so many of the Melbourne based clubs need big numbers of the visiting club fans to break even in half empty venues. For these clubs they are at a disadvantage, they rely on AFL handouts (disequal disbursements*) & always will as long as the AFL policy remains - Geelong & the Hawks have addressed the issue in different ways & have both had long runs of on field & off field success in the AFL era. Other clubs selling games interstate is a demonstration of the problem they have putting bums on seats, as does 3 game memberships - simply the supply of AFL footy in Melbourne exceeds demand, but no one is prepared to have an honest revue of the status quo (in public).

Mudlemoose is right to call for us to list our clubs perceived advantages & disadvantages, not the dummed down approach of criticising whatever gives you personally, the tom ****, e.g for me its the GF location not being merit based.

*https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1759-3441.2004.tb00986.x

Geelong is an interesting one. They get the most advantage in the home and away season, as they get the benefit of an interstate side + the benefit of a victorian side.

BUT in finals they are probably the most disadvantaged given they don't even get to use their favourite ground for home games.

Mate, I don’t. I was actually glad that if we were going to dip out of the finals, your mob ended up winning.

Only since then your supporter base has done such a sub-Nickelback standard job of being normal, rational supporters that it’s borderline psychotic.

Fact:

We have a home ground.
Everyone does

Fact: we play 9 matches there a year.
No one else does.

Fact: we are the only side that plays home finals on an away ground against sides THAT ARE ACTUAL TENANTS OF THAT GROUND.

Instantly that fact right there cancels out basically any perceived advantage we get.
Except all the Docklands tenants regularly host finals at the MCG (I.e. away from home).

And technically (though it’s a fairly low chance of happening in any year), an MCG tenant could host a final at Docklands if all 4 week 1 finals are hosted by Victorian teams.

Ok so Geelong obviously most advantaged by home grounds. Media influences - Hocking, Whatley, Ling, Healy, Hudson, Pickering, Newman, Maddern.

Ok so Geelong obviously most advantaged by home grounds. Media influences - Hocking, Whatley, Ling, Healy, Hudson, Pickering, Newman, Maddern.

The same Liam Pickering who brokered one of the biggest deals on the sport’s history to get the best player arguably of all time AWAY from Geelong?

You didn’t put a lot of thought into this did you.

And Healy, what with his strong ties to Geelong feeder clubs Sydney and Melbourne but no actual ties to Geelong - well again you’ve made perfect sense.

The same Liam Pickering who brokered one of the biggest deals on the sport’s history to get the best player arguably of all time AWAY from Geelong?

And Healy, what with his strong ties to Geelong feeder clubs Sydney and Melbourne but no actual ties to Geelong - well again you’ve made perfect sense.
Yeah the Ablett to suns deal was a tough decision. He is back at Geelong aswell. Healy has been a Geelong lover for ages, he must have forgotten George Horlin-Smith plays for the suns as he still talks him up, got earn those free seaside lunches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerard surfs down that way, clear link, Nathan Jones does too, he's a spy .....

Yeah the Ablett to suns deal was a tough decision. He is back at Geelong aswell. Healy has been a Geelong lover for ages, he must have forgotten George Horlin-Smith plays for the suns as he still talks him up, got earn those free seaside lunches.

Oh well if a commentator from a weekly panel show talks up a former peripheral Geelong footballer it’s pretty obvious that the Cats are getting favourable advantages from the game’s governing body then.

It’s the only logical conclusion to make.

Oh well if a commentator from a weekly panel show talks up a former peripheral Geelong footballer it’s pretty obvious that the Cats are getting favourable advantages from the game’s governing body then.

It’s the only logical conclusion to make.
Yes. That’s what I’m trying to tell you.

Have you guys even cleaned up the debt at Seaford?

Debt - meh.

It's all this country knows so I think we should just follow the trend and load up. State and/or Federal Government will bail us out anyhow, and perhaps we can also convince a government to introduce a "First Stadium Buyer's Grant".

This season the Bulldogs and Port Power who each finished outside the 8 last year both travel to Perth twice before Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn, Carlton, Adelaide or Geelong even step foot their once. Essendon and North both end up their twice over the season too as two other sides that didn’t finish in the 8 last season.

Look I understand the fixture will never be perfect and this will occur here and there every year but that’s seems a ridiculous number that don’t have to make the long haul west before coincidentally 2 smaller clubs do it twice.

Debt - meh.

It's all this country knows so I think we should just follow the trend and load up. State and/or Federal Government will bail us out anyhow, and perhaps we can also convince a government to introduce a "First Stadium Buyer's Grant".

Mate you are already there, loaded.

The only thing between you guys & closing the doors is an AFL guarantee, still players from the 70s who havent been paid,

Fact: only one team in the AFL gets to play home games at their training ground.

We play games at Deakin University's Waurn Ponds campus? News to me.

Back