Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we just getting a bit carried away after a great game? Lance Franklin has some remarkable statistics also. Was Franklin discussed as the best player ever after breaking another goal kicking record?

In my opinion I reckon Franklin is better, I think for a modern player to kick 100 and to have a goal kicking tally like he does is remarkable. AA Captain last year. I think if Ablett won a flag this year and got a Norm Smith then it would elevate him hugely, but in my opinion Lance is the best ever and there are a few above GAJ.
images (1).jpeg

Awesome player but History will look back and say his departure cost Geelong 1-2 flags. Best opportunities when he was gone were 2013 and 2016.

One of the best ever. Top 3 probably.

I'd still pick Judd in his prime ahead of him.

There was something a class above in freaky talent judd had.

So difficult to compare players from different generations, Ablett Snr didn’t have to contend with zones, taggers have come a long way since the Carey days. Buddy would have kicked 100 goals a season in the 90s.

One of the best ever. Top 3 probably.

I'd still pick Judd in his prime ahead of him.

There was something a class above in freaky talent judd had.

Which is exactly why Ablett isn't the best, because there is a genuine argument for Judd being the best midfielder, and while I don't think he is, the fact that there is an argument indicates the gap between Judd and Ablett was not huge.

Buddy though, no one (or most people at least) is going to argue that anyone other than Buddy is the best key forward of his generation. No other player comes even close. Buddy is the only player who is undisputed in terms of his position. Every other position someone can name who they think is best and someone else can go "what about this player" and it be a fair debate, but Buddy, there is no debate. He was the best forward of his generation, and no one is reasonably arguing otherwise.

eg

Cox or Gawn
Ablett or Judd
Scarlet or Rance
Betts or Milne

Which is exactly why Ablett isn't the best, because there is a genuine argument for Judd being the best midfielder, and while I don't think he is, the fact that there is an argument indicates the gap between Judd and Ablett was not huge.

Buddy though, no one (or most people at least) is going to argue that anyone other than Buddy is the best key forward of his generation. No other player comes even close. Buddy is the only player who is undisputed in terms of his position. Every other position someone can name who they think is best and someone else can go "what about this player" and it be a fair debate, but Buddy, there is no debate. He was the best forward of his generation, and no one is reasonably arguing otherwise.

eg

Cox or Gawn
Ablett or Judd
Scarlet or Rance
Betts or Milne

There are one, sometimes two power forwards per team.

Is it easy to be the best? No. Is the competition lessened? Yes.

It’s a silly argument.
Of course there will be other midfielders in the conversation with Ablett - there’s a thousand of them in the competition so clearly year to year one or two or them are going to be at least pressuring him.

To use my cricket analogy from earlier again, Shane Warne being streets ahead of Anil Kumble as the best leg spinner of his generation doesn’t instantly make him the best bowler overall from 1991-2007 just because the competition among fast bowlers was much stronger does it?
Now for what it’s worth in this instance Warne has a good case for actually being the best overall bowler of that era. But it’s not based on the fact that he was head and shoulders above every other leg spinner.

Scarlett didn’t have anyone within cooee of him as a defender for the best part of a decade. It didn’t make him better than Ablett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. But he could be the best midfielder of this century so far. He would definitely finish top 5 in that conversation, without any debate.

I personally rate goal kickers as the most valuable players.
And leaders. This is the first season where I think neutral observers rate his leadership.

He is a star. I think if the shoulder injury that cost him his third Brownlow didn’t occur it’s be unanaminous.

Best year I saw Ablett play is when the umps robbed him of a brownlow. They give it to Cooney instead, who, while he was servible that year, he was no where near Gary Ablett jr. Some also argue that Ablett shouldve won it when Bartel did, and also one of the years Swan or Judd did. Ablett should have 5 brownlows.

So difficult to compare players from different generations, Ablett Snr didn’t have to contend with zones, taggers have come a long way since the Carey days. Buddy would have kicked 100 goals a season in the 90s.

Buddy wouldn't have kicked 50 goals a season back when Carey played. Defenders could do so much more back then that buddy gets frees for now.

Eg: arm chops, spoils above the shoulders making contact, push in the back more.

Buddy would just cry and get nothing.

eg

Cox or Gawn
Ablett or Judd
Scarlet or Rance
Betts or Milne
Teams seem to have more success once buddy leaves.

And Judd is nowhere near Ablett.

Buddy wouldn't have kicked 50 goals a season back when Carey played. Defenders could do so much more back then that buddy gets frees for now.

Eg: arm chops, spoils above the shoulders making contact, push in the back more.

Buddy would just cry and get nothing.

Buddy is sh1thouse overhead. For anyone to say he would kick 100 goals a year in the 90's is a hilarious joke.

As a Bulldogs fan I’m torn. Common sense says he shouldn’t be suspended next week, but he’s playing so well I ******* hope he is considering we play them next week.

Hayden Bunton Snr surely.
Then John Coleman.
A bottleneck for 3rd place that Junior is certainly in the discussion on, though lethal was the best and most intimidating of players in the 70s through early 80s.

Judd over Albett in their prime. Carey over everyone. Geelong supporters calm down it is only my opinion if you do not agree I am cool with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back