VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah OK - let's play Marshall against Grundy - his extra 5 or 10 possessions will counteract losing every hitout which only give's the Pies mids first use all day.

Didn't cause a problem at all yesterday with the WC midfield.
Could you imagine Billy trying to keep up with Grundy around the ground?

Alright heres my view of our boys today. We controlled most of the game with lots of pressure and good tackling. Over handballing and umpiring were our down falls. Others at the game probably saw things different but thats cool.

CLARK: I though was comfortably BOG. Made a comment about being disinterested but straight after that controlled the game. Few shanks here and there, but looked a class above everyone else on the ground. Still looks slow but seemed to cover A LOT of ground today.

WHITE: Maybe I'm biased cause I've always rated Whitey, but I just can't work out how he's not playing in the seniors. He was tough, kicking was spot on, i can't remember him missing a target, was good over head and courageous, regularly beat his opponent. Found plenty of the ball too.

MARSH: Loved his game in defence. He's a tough player and can take a good grab. I was really surprised at how quick he was though, has some serious wheels. Didn't do anything wrong today and I'd be pretty tempted to bring him back into the ones....as long as we play him back.

HIND: SUPER QUICK. Bloody hell he is fast. Read a lot of about his offensive game so was keen to see how he defended and he did pretty well. Was almost BOG in the first half but had a quiet 2nd half.

LONGER: He probably can't play any better to be honest. Even managed a contested mark in the dukes. Won a lot of hit outs but far too many went to Collingwood players. Not sure who their ruck was but he was no good today.

COFFIELD: I've been a bit worried about Coff, not getting a JLT game and then the average reports from the coaches but I feel better after today. Didn't seem to get heaps of it but has enough tools. He's quick, good overhead and his ball use is great. Had one shocker kicking to Armo at CHB but it was just a poor decision. His defensive game definitely needs work, but I'm pretty confident he'll be a very good player for us long term.

JOYCE: Blinder of a 3rd quarter. 4 intercept marks and a couple of them contested. Was really impressed with his kicking and decision making, looked very calm on the ball even when there was heaps of pressure.

RICE: Played well in the first half, was pretty non existent in the 2nd. Played forward and I like it. Would've taken mark of the year had Longer not bloody spoiled him.

CLAVARINO: Worked his way into the game, has put on a bit of size but still looks a fair way off it.

ROWE: Contested well and kicked a couple of nice goals, but wouldn't expect to see him in the seniors unless injuries happen.

YOUNG: The only time he looked good was when a Collingwood player had the ball about 10m away and he'd chase them down or smash them when they kicked it. Didn't see him get much of the ball, ran to A LOT of wrong positions that I would've thought was basic knowledge for a crumbing forward. Kicked an absolute ripper from the boundary though. I get the impression he thinks he's pretty ******* good though.

ARMITAGE: Poor old Armo, put a fork in him cause he's done. Tries hard but yeh, its past him now.

GILBO: I know he's no longer on our list but for shts and gigs thought i'd let everyone know that absolutely nothing has changed with Gilbo. Does some funny stuff.

KING: Last but not least, the man of the hour, Max King. First of all, he is seriously tall. He's huge. He's just as skinny though especially in the upper body/arms. But everything we've heard is true, he moves around almost effortlessly. I kept a close eye on him and he was just running around and would all of a sudden have 5m on his opponent. He took a couple great grabs that unfortunately weren't paid. One being a strong pack mark. He almost took an absolute screamer too, and he was bloody high up. Noticed they went to him a lot more in the 3rd quarter. He was happy to hit a pack and only got outbodied a couple of times which he'll obviously learn to deal with. His field kicking was awesome but what impressed me most was when the ball hit the deck he was great below his knees and had quick hands. They said he'd play 80% but doubt it was that much, was off for a lot of the game. I wasn't too keen of another KF with such an early pick after whats happened with Paddy, but King looks like he'll be a ripper. Sometime players just play with ease and look the part, and off the small sample today I'd say we've got a good one.

Think thats everyone, any questions feel free.
Cheers Joop ripping review. Have to admit when I was there I was having a sneaky look to see if I could see anyone else reviewing. Think I missed you though haha

They’ve only played each once. 2016;

View attachment 672556

If that’s Longer giving him a touch up, I’d hate to see Longer getting his colours lowered.

How Longer still has supporters in his corner thinking he should be in the side completely baffles me!

He has shown time and time again he is not an AFL level player, and we finally have a guy who seems to be everything we’ve hoped for in the ruck, aside from winning meaningless hitouts, yet still the Cult of Longer presides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mckenzie should be dropped this week, plays like a headless chicken.. has speed and endurance, but doesn’t seem to be able to put them into use. Apart from trying extremely hard, can’t see what he adds to the side. White, Marsh or Hind would be much better choice.. Probably drop Webster as well as he also offered little in the last 2 weeks.. White and Marsh in, Mckenzie and Webster out.. improves our side immediately with better marking and use out of the backline.
Had the same conversation with my brother at the game. Web and dmac out marsh and white in. The extra height speed and skill will be a massive upgrade. Dmac is as you say a headless chook websters not far behind been avg for most of the year.

Longer has played one game and got well beaten in hit outs. Grundy won the hit outs yesterday but the bottom side won the clearances. Thats seriously funny how unimportant hit outs are. That’s the facts. Yours is just opinion. My opinion is Marshall is better the side than billy losing hit outs to Grundy.
Fail to see the relevance of the stats from the Pies v Blues game unless you know something about Patrick Cripps pulling a Sivio Foschini and joining us during the week.

Now that's big news, if not - its a quality tap ruckman and a quality clearance midfield up against an ordinary tap ruckman and ordinary midfield.

Had the same conversation with my brother at the game. Web and dmac out marsh and white in. The extra height speed and skill will be a massive upgrade. Dmac is as you say a headless chook websters not far behind been avg for most of the year.

I think the chance of either Dmac or Webster being dropped anytime soon is about 0%.

Don't think he warrants selection just yet. He'll get a game eventually. Not to sure what you mean hes not getting a chance to show his pace? He comes steaming off half back...
By not playing AFL he hasn't been able to show what he can do at that level, his pace during the game.

Longer has played one game and got well beaten in hit outs. Grundy won the hit outs yesterday but the bottom side won the clearances. Thats seriously funny how unimportant hit outs are. That’s the facts. Yours is just opinion. My opinion is Marshall is better the side than billy losing hit outs to Grundy.
The bottom side has 3 top mids in Cripps, Murphy and Curnow.. and we have.... Ross?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that’s Longer giving him a touch up, I’d hate to see Longer getting his colours lowered.

How Longer still has supporters in his corner thinking he should be in the side completely baffles me!

He has shown time and time again he is not an AFL level player, and we finally have a guy who seems to be everything we’ve hoped for in the ruck, aside from winning meaningless hitouts, yet still the Cult of Longer presides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just fun to watch you Billy Haters have steam coming from your ears ;)

They’ve only played each once. 2016;

View attachment 672556

Another example where stats don't tell the story.

Billy destroyed Grundy and we destroyed the Pies. Pies mates after that game were bagging Grundy and whining about how bad rubbish their drafting had been. Sadly they were wrong.

Another example where stats don't tell the story.

Billy destroyed Grundy and we destroyed the Pies. Pies mates after that game were bagging Grundy and whining about how bad rubbish their drafting had been. Sadly they were wrong.
Ok well even if the stats lie and Billy did in fact destroy him, it’s pretty hard to look past that since that 1 game 3 years ago, 1 has become an All-Australian and the other is toiling away in the VFL.

Fail to see the relevance of the stats from the Pies v Blues game unless you know something about Patrick Cripps pulling a Sivio Foschini and joining us during the week.

Now that's big news, if not - its a quality tap ruckman and a quality clearance midfield up against an ordinary tap ruckman and ordinary midfield.
Stats are pretty relevant because we play pies next week and you said Grundy will win hit outs against us. He did against Carlton by double let they lost the clearances. You want longer to play because he will hit the ball more than Marshall but who cares. It has no relevance to clearances. And you laughed becausemarshall did ok against vardy who just happens to be a premiership ruckman. Longer got well beaten in hit outs against an unknown at Adelaide so I fail to see your logic that longer will complete well in hit outs not that they have any relevance anyway.

The bottom side has 3 top mids in Cripps, Murphy and Curnow.. and we have.... Ross?
I will give you Cripps but let’s play that game. They are that good that threesome that they obviously have won 5 or 6 games. Hang on they have won one. Cripps is a champion. Curnow is ok. Murphy is past his best. Irrelevant anyway because apparently hitting the ball leads to clearances even though stats over the season show that is complete crap. Marshall is having a great season yet people still want to bring in a player from yesteryear. We have many bigger problems that our ruck division

Best contested possession winners:
Carlton
Cripps average 19
Fisher 11
Walsh 11
Keruzer 10
Cunningham 9

Saints
Steven 11
Dunstan 11
Steele 11
Gresham 10
Marshall 10

With Steven out we have Phillips 9.
Cripps wins as much of the ball as 2 normal players.

Clearances
Carlton
Cripps average 10.
Kreuzer 6
Fisher 5
Walsh 4
Petrovski-Seton 3.5
Dow 3.5

Saints
Steven 5.5
Marshal 5.5
Dunstan 5
Gresham 4.5
Steele 4.4
Ross 4.3 ( Phillips 4)

Cripps twice as likely to come out with the ball.

Center clearances
Carlton
Cripps 4.6
A Phillips 2.3
Kreuzer 2
Dow 1.6
Fisher 1.6

Saints
Phillips 3
Longer 2 ( on game 2 centre clearances )
Marshall 2
Ross 1.8
Steven 1.8
Gresham 1.6

One of these players is not like the others.

I will give you Cripps but let’s play that game. They are that good that threesome that they obviously have won 5 or 6 games. Hang on they have won one. Cripps is a champion. Curnow is ok. Murphy is past his best. Irrelevant anyway because apparently hitting the ball leads to clearances even though stats over the season show that is complete crap. Marshall is having a great season yet people still want to bring in a player from yesteryear. We have many bigger problems that our ruck division
I agree we have bigger problems, most of it is in the midfield where we can’t seem to be able win the ball and transition the ball either from back to mid, or from mid to forward in an efficient/effective manner.. Is it the cattle or the game plan? bit of both, more down to cattle you would think.

I agree we have bigger problems, most of it is in the midfield where we can’t seem to be able win the ball and transition the ball either from back to mid, or from mid to forward in an efficient/effective manner.. Is it the cattle or the game plan? bit of both, more down to cattle you would think.

If you have a guy like Cripps who is likely to win the ball nearly every time he gets near it. He wins the ball every time he gets near it.
If you have 2 3, or 7 guys who can't get the ball before Cripps does, then they are all as useless as each other, because Cripps is still running off with the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back