Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to admit I thought this dude was short term when he arrived - poor kicking style, undersized for a kpd, panicked with ball in hand.

But now you pencil him in every week, just Mr Reliable- good pace/endurance , reliable kick, great size for 3rd tall, always puts his body on the line as 3rd man up in marking contests.

Both Rance and Grimes had plenty of rough edges when they first arrived and are now A grade defenders, Broady isn’t in the same class YET but is a very solid B grade backman
very good assessment of broad. Getting better with experience.

The blokes right footed but runs himself onto his left side every f***ing time. He watched Naughtan mark the ball about 5 times when he could’ve made a contest. Drop him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The blokes right footed but runs himself onto his left side every f***ing time. He watched Naughtan mark the ball about 5 times when he could’ve made a contest. Drop him.
You think with how depleted our back six is - rance, floss both out this week we drop broad over one bad game?
Hes actually had a good year, if astbury played that game or if we didnt go small. Coulda been a different story.

Broad played s**t just like 16 others, problem was Billy Gowers was in his head all game and he couldn't handle it.

Just write this one off as a bad week IMO

I've never understood what people see in Broad. He cannot kick properly, his ball drop is all out of sorts. He also loses contests all the time - a bad trait for a defender. With the injuries in the team he is becoming more exposed.

Bring in Astbury and Garth this week

Broad played **** just like 16 others, problem was Billy Gowers was in his head all game and he couldn't handle it.

Just write this one off as a bad week IMO
One bad week. He is just a player, nowhere near the others in the backline. But at 193cm he can play tall and small due to his good pace, so he is handy especially this season with all the injuries. If Rance was playing I doubt Broad would be.

He’s had more than one bad week since the 2017 GF. We need to make players out form accountable. He’s been off his game more than on it for quite awhile now. Just like in 2017 he was rewarded for starring in the twos then others should be treated equally. We need to set equal and parallel standards for all players.

He’s had more than one bad week since the 2017 GF. We need to make players out form accountable. He’s been off his game more than on it for quite awhile now. Just like in 2017 he was rewarded for starring in the twos then others should be treated equally. We need to set equal and parallel standards for all players.
So dusty goes first then

To me always one of the first for some reason gets criticism yeah was poor last week no doubt who wasn't ,but hey his no KP defender either. Few more seniors in team struggling for a while now deserve criticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm expecting a better game from Broad today, last week he had the role of taking the oppositions best tall forward. He never has (or will be) able to take the oppositions best player. That's both due to his footballing abilities but also his style. He's a mid sized defender who can mix it up between the talls and smalls but if you look at our team he was our sixth/seventh defender, he had the job of taking the Crows least potent forward.

He also has a fantastic endurance and covers a lot of ground which is so important to our structures, this often goes really unnoticed as he is one of the better runners at the club.

However we won't get the luxury of Broad running around on the oppositions worst forward this season unless Rance returns. We need to have players at this club who can step up when needed and whilst Broad's performances hasn't really dropped off from the past couple of years he's yet to take that next step up. With Astbury and Garthwaite in the team this week he won't need to play tall but I'm still really hoping for him to bounce back from last week with a good game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back