Autopsy vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The clearances where we just took the pressure on and kicked long without looking to give, fmd that was shocking to see and it got us back in it. North being the good ol North clearance kings again.

Next thing you know we try the handball to Polec and it breaks down.

Geelong couldn't stop our contested marks from a clearance, they were exposed. So they deployed the same tactic * did on GF.

Why not just go direct and long instead of handball, handball, handball? It allows Geelong to setup when the 6-6-6 rule is no longer in motion.

* sometimes this team can do so much better and it doesn't know it.

One of them I thought someone other than turner was on him and ran away leaving him on his own in the middle of the ground. Maybe Dumont? But could have been Turner can't remember - that was :poo:. One was jesus helping the other was a good pass to a forward. Abletts played games with nearly 3 times the possessions as many goals and more goal assists.

But so what... if we had kicked straight at goal and at field targets under minimal pressure those four goals wouldn't have mattered. We would still have won. And Ablett wouldn't have had the two or three times as many possessions he usually has. His games against us often have 3 or 4 goals, multiple goal assists and shitloads of dominant possession all over the ground.

Frankly he is a gun player and very hard to keep quiet. Turner did pretty well considering how good Ablett is and how little tagging KT has done. Playing a side with Ablett and Dangerfield in it means you will at some point give up goals, its about minimising the goals and the other influence those guys have on the game.
Turner pooh. No future. Get him out and see the change possible. He does worse than nothing.

Sorry but it isn't random. It needs to be rectified.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh I never said it was random. Just that that's the result we've got at the end of the match. Can't change it once it's done. But the flooding of negativity on here about every single thing that went wrong after every match does my head in - waaay more than watching our boys put in a 4 Quarter effort but miss the mark against the number one team in the comp. There were good things to be taken from last night, and that's what I try to focus on. I'm well aware that everything else that wasn't perfect will be more than covered by others on here.

I know there's stuff that needs to be rectified. I just don't feel like it needs to be focused on exclusively to the detriment of the stuff we did well, against the number one team in the comp.

Oh I never said it was random. Just that that's the result we've got at the end of the match. Can't change it once it's done. But the flooding of negativity on here about every single thing that went wrong after every match does my head in - waaay more than watching our boys put in a 4 Quarter effort but miss the mark against the number one team in the comp. There were good things to be taken from last night, and that's what I try to focus on. I'm well aware that everything else that wasn't perfect will be more than covered by others on here.

I know there's stuff that needs to be rectified. I just don't feel like it needs to be focused on exclusively to the detriment of the stuff we did well, against the number one team in the comp.

The reason for the negativity IMO, not wanting to speak on behalf of everyone, is that it's the same problems that have been present for years on end are still present. It's appears nothing is done to rectify these.

The reason for the negativity IMO, not wanting to speak on behalf of everyone, is that it's the same problems that have been present for years on end are still present. It's appears nothing is done to rectify these.

Yeah, I get that. It's just that in some matches I feel like the negatives don't outweigh the positives (for me at least), and so I try to point them out in my posts, partly because I'm a person who tries to see the upside in things, but also because the negatives often get done to death on here. Yesterday's was a match where I saw quite a bit that was positive. Especially in our continued effort, which for me is the number one most important thing. But that's just me, everyone else is allowed to be in whatever emotional ship they choose. I just try to salvage some buoyancy is all.

I still can't get over Scott praising Turner's game which I feel he did to justify his decision to play him on Ablett. Not Turner's fault he isnt equipped or had much practice as a defender, why didnt he put JMac on him? He's the VC, taller and more experienced or was he too afraid that it may show him up, making it even harder to justify his inclusion next week?

Letting JMac run around without an opponent is reserved for the highly skilled like Daniel, Shaw, Whitfield and Rich who chop up the opposition in transition. All he does is guard space and offers nothing going forward, I personally think he isn't fit enough either, seems to be carrying a bit. Played a nothing game yesterday in my opinion.

Scott is too weak to drop him.

Yeah, I get that. It's just that in some matches I feel like the negatives don't outweigh the positives (for me at least), and so I try to point them out in my posts, partly because I'm a person who tries to see the upside in things, but also because the negatives often get done to death on here. Yesterday's was a match where I saw quite a bit that was positive. Especially in our continued effort, which for me is the number one most important thing. But that's just me, everyone else is allowed to be in whatever emotional ship they choose. I just try to salvage some buoyancy is all.
You can put a positive spin on anything, just ask Brendan Bolton.

At the end of the day we lost a game we should have won to the top team due to poor execution of skills.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Honestly, I know supporters are disappointing. But that was a "perfect" loss.

Pushed the top team, played all over them in periods, didn't win because of mainly execution, some young players got tremendous exposure, like Larkey, Thomas etc. I thought Taylors first half was extremely encouraging. Maintained our draft position.

Despite the Turner bashing and I freely admit I'm one of his biggest ones, he actually showed a bit, playing on one of the toughest one on one players of all time. He will learn a lot from the tape. I actually saw a lot more that I liked from him back than forward.

If Cunnington wasn't the AA centerman at the moment, Atley would probabely be leading the B&F. He's finally clicked as a footballer. His disposal has improved an incredible amount since his first few years and he's just damaging in any position on the ground he plays now.

Garner and Zurhaar have made a huge difference in ball retention in our forward half since coming into the side. They are just hard matchups, defenders don't break their tackles and they hunt the man.

Thomas is just a machine, he's going to be an absolute star with 5-10kg's and a few pre-seasons to increase his endurance.

Larkey has had a terrific few weeks, he's showing a heap for a kid in his first few games. 13 score involvements and 17 disposals is a great return from a second key forward of any experience.

Last edited:
You can put a positive spin on anything, just ask Brendan Bolton.

At the end of the day we lost a game we should have won to the top team due to poor execution of skills.

And Scotts said in his Foxtel interview with Dunstal that if a team had poor skills it was the coaches job to improve them. He’s a self confessed failure.

It's a bit sad, every one posting about Ablett does not use his correct title of "The Little Master", almost disrespectful in fact. :'(
Sorry about that. Just to be appropriately respectful, I would like to say that I think the little master is a dirty sniping campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange game, we played pretty ordinary in parts, pretty good in other parts. We just didn't have some good matchups which cost us dearly, ie without someone like Jacobs to play on Kelly. Our intensity was pretty good, we weren't as accountable defensively as I would have liked, 16.8 from 47 inside 50s and only 10 marks inside 50 means you are pretty easy to score against.

At the end of the day we just blew too many gettable shots on goal and weren't able to sustain the scoreboard pressure on them, we had enough of the ball and of the play to win, which in part is pleasant against an in-form team, however, what continues to cost us are some of the basics which never seem to get addressed so not sure if we will ever make in-roads on that front.

That Brown miss from the goal square was something special, we had a few momentum killers today.
We certainly had our chances. Your not going to beat good sides if you don't take your chances. We didn't. Its an old story.

We certainly had our chances. Your not going to beat good sides if you don't take your chances. We didn't. Its an old story.
We fail at this consistently. It is the same old story, 1.9, 1.7, 1.6. It is demoralising and costs us time and time again.

The game plan is fine. We deny teams the corridor well and force turnovers/keep the ball in our 50 well and when we concentrate we hit targets under pressure by foot. It works well against Geelong who love the corridor and its why were right in that game. We probably would have won without one of Kelly or Ablett getting off the chain for various periods, especially Kelly.

The list is fine and even Scott is improving as a coach but yesterday we lost because:

We couldn't kick goals early - missed too many.
Our poor skills under no pressure cost us.
The umps screwed us.

Exactly the same as in 2015, and even more the same as that year's prelim (and the difference was about the same too.)

We've had three seasons in between and here we are in exactly the same spot with the same players making the same errors or so it seems.

Its the same s**t that always costs us. I dunno if its the coach, the players or a problem that is deeper inside the club but the coach has had years to fix it and hasn't.

Frankly if we stopped doing these things by the end of the season he'd be worth extending but at the same time if we stop doing those things by the end of the season we'd have to be favorites or close for the flag (Ie not for one game but for the entire period after the bye.) And would have been in the same position in several seasons over the past 3 or 4, even last year when we didn't make finals.

And Scotts said in his Foxtel interview with Dunstal that if a team had poor skills it was the coaches job to improve them. He’s a self confessed failure.

Yep. Its the one thing he has repeatedly failed to do - have us perform to the required level skill wise.

The other thing is this...

Scott clearly hasn't lost the players. They played their guts out for him while coaching against his brother's side on Mother's Day. Basically last playing first and we nearly beat them.

To me this was a test of their commitment to him and I think they showed they are.

Its the same **** that always costs us. I dunno if its the coach, the players or a problem that is deeper inside the club but the coach has had years to fix it and hasn't.

This is why any improvements simply should not be rewarded.

Over ten seasons we have:
Played some scintillating footy
Had terrible losses
Gone alright against quality opponents
Struggled against poorer opponents
Been predictable kicking in
Had issues forward of centre
Been under prepared for the start of every season

He's run his race, he's had the time. I fail to see how more time will bring anything different than what we see.

A good middle of the road side that under performs.

A top down adjustment is required. Some blood letting, a healing period to refocus on all out pursuit of number 5.

Scott clearly hasn't lost the players. They played their guts out for him while coaching against his brother's side on Mother's Day. Basically last playing first and we nearly beat them.

To me this was a test of their commitment to him and I think they showed they are.
He's a players coach. All ways has been.

They might like him and the might play alright for him.

I'm convinced as a club we're not seeing their best.

I disagree.

Strongly.

They looked flat walking off at half time even though they had the top side in every facet of the match barring execution.

They looked flat again when they ran back out to commence the second half.

They look to me like a team that knows the method is not working. They are frustrated.

I disagree.

Strongly.

They looked flat walking off at half time even though they had the top side in every facet of the match barring execution.

They looked flat again when they ran back out to commence the second half.

They look to me like a team that knows the method is not working. They are frustrated.

Then the real leaders of the group need to stand up and demand more.

Yep but what about next week and the week after?
It’s about doing these things week after week and its always been my biggest criticism of Scott’s teams, they pick and choose when they’re going to show up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back