Roast What does this club stand for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's made me a proud flag-waving masochist. Safeword: Winderlich

Given it's subjective the answer would have to be yes. If we as individuals think a club can stand for something then we will know what it stands for - for the individual.

As contrarian as that may sound I think it's actually part of the problem with our club, or more specifically, part of the reason this question is coming up on here. What things like football clubs "stand for" is often driven by either club message (onfield performances and marketing agenda) or supporter concensus. We seem to lack both right now and thus the question.

I read years ago that Essendon were seen as "the professionals" at one stage by the other clubs. The article wasn't about Essendon and I can't remember who the club was featured but I recall thinking at the time that it fitted my perception of the club as well (it was late 90's from memory). Reason being was that we were leaders in many areas on and off the field and the title was befitting. As clearly as that wouldn't have described Richmond, St Kilda or Footscray at that time it also doesn't describe anything much we've presented to the competition for many years either.

I'd say this Club currently stands for:

- silver spoon fed mediocrity
- boys club/soft leadership on and off-field
- arrogamce strong armed into apology
- pretenders, list cloggers and excuse makers

I didn't think the answer was subjective.

I just assumed "what we stand for" is a set of stupid cliches identical at every club, probably written on a whiteboard, and probably from a sports psychology session.

It's become relatively common terminology and it's completely meaningless. It might as well be a marketing slogan.

I think of it as all of the dumb s**t Mark Robinson would talk about. E.g. "care", "love", "effort", "being our best selves", "no excuses". All of the stuff going through a players head when he's out on the field...

People are getting a bit carried away with threads like this. We've had a couple of close losses - 5 points to Sydney, 4 to Collingwood and in both games you could argue umpiring did not help us.

Daniher only playing a few games, and injuries to both Brown & Smack who were in good form have really hurt us - we could have covered one of these guys maybe but not both..

We are not a top 4 team but certainly still right in the mix for those bottom two spots in the 8 along with Freo, Port, Brisbane, Hawthorn & Bulldogs

For those that think we can play finals well they must know more than the bookies - as they dont have us out of finals contention - we currently $2.25 with the TAB to make the 8, and a win this week against Freo over here will see those odds wound in - so on balance you'd have to say we are a 50/50 chance to make the 8 right now and theres still a long way to go in the season & many things can happen.

So in answering 'what does this club stand for'? I would say - Essendon is a proud club used to success that's been to hell and back and had its name and reputation dragged through the mud because of decisions of a handful of individuals. They are currently slowly rebuilding, and right now are a middle of the range team (in the 6 - 10 bracket) with some good young players coming through.

People are getting a bit carried away with threads like this. We've had a couple of close losses - 5 points to Sydney, 4 to Collingwood and in both games you could argue umpiring did not help us.

Daniher only playing a few games, and injuries to both Brown & Smack who were in good form have really hurt us - we could have covered one of these guys maybe but not both..

We are not a top 4 team but certainly still right in the mix for those bottom two spots in the 8 along with Freo, Port, Brisbane, Hawthorn & Bulldogs

For those that think we can play finals well they must know more than the bookies - as they dont have us out of finals contention - we currently $2.25 with the TAB to make the 8, and a win this week against Freo over here will see those odds wound in - so on balance you'd have to say we are a 50/50 chance to make the 8 right now and theres still a long way to go in the season & many things can happen.

So in answering 'what does this club stand for'? I would say - Essendon is a proud club used to success that's been to hell and back and had its name and reputation dragged through the mud because of decisions of a handful of individuals. They are currently slowly rebuilding, and right now are a middle of the range team (in the 6 - 10 bracket) with some good young players coming through.

Good summary - beat Freo this week at Marvel (which we should) then we are right back on track for the bottom 2 spots in the 8

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't think the answer was subjective.

I just assumed "what we stand for" is a set of stupid cliches identical at every club, probably written on a whiteboard, and probably from a sports psychology session.

It's become relatively common terminology and it's completely meaningless. It might as well be a marketing slogan.

I think of it as all of the dumb **** Mark Robinson would talk about. E.g. "care", "love", "effort", "being our best selves", "no excuses". All of the stuff going through a players head when he's out on the field...

The answers in this thread are weird.

No club is going to have players/staff that wake up and think "yes, let's do mediocre today".

No club stands for that despite how s**t some might be.

I don't think asking what a club stands for will answer anything useful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is Adam Curley and does he actually pay attention outside of game day?

I would argue that looking at what happens on field is pretty important.

Sure it is. But in isolation you end up with **** reporting that lacks insight, nuance and context.

When you're given a paragraph to write about a game and perhaps a team's season, I think it's a pretty good job. It's not like we don't have problems (that are our own fault). I don't understand your defending of the club at times.

Sure it is. But in isolation you end up with **** reporting that lacks insight, nuance and context.
That's the thing. You don't need off-field context to assess results. I think it was concise and gave enough insight to address the main issues at hand. Sometimes, people with less knowledge about what goes on inside our circle can give an objective perspective on the results.

Besides, Callum Twomey, who knows a lot about Essendon, is giving a similar assessment.

When you're given a paragraph to write about a game and perhaps a team's season, I think it's a pretty good job. It's not like we don't have problems (that are our own fault). I don't understand your defending of the club at times.
I will not defend the indefensible, the club has issues. But that clickbait isn’t even remotely enlightening, unless of course you were looking for spoilers about the games statistics.

It’s hyperbole and false equivalence.

If you want to slam the club, at least form a coherent argument.

I will not defend the indefensible, the club has issues. But that clickbait isn’t even remotely enlightening, unless of course you were looking for spoilers about the games statistics.

It’s hyperbole and false equivalence.

If you want to slam the club, at least form a coherent argument.

You almost sound offended by it. It has some great points to be honest. Again, it's a paragraph that sums up why we might be s**t this year. It's actually very well articulated to me.

Why are you reading it different to everyone else? Come on, it's not the first time you've hit back at journos taking justified shots at the club.

That's the thing. You don't need off-field context to assess results. I think it was concise and gave enough insight to address the main issues at hand. Sometimes, people with less knowledge about what goes on inside our circle can give an objective perspective on the results.

Besides, Callum Twomey, who knows a lot about Essendon, is giving a similar assessment.

Difference being that Twomey isn’t saying we would have won that game by 12 goals with Sydney’s leadership and culture.

You almost sound offended by it. It has some great points to be honest. Again, it's a paragraph that sums up why we might be **** this year. It's actually very well articulated to me.

Why are you reading it different to everyone else? Come on, it's not the first time you've hit back at journos taking justified shots at the club.
Really? You’re the one that’s trying to make it about me, Dapper.

Just because you agree with what he’s saying doesn’t mean that he is 100% right. By the same token me disagreeing with it doesn’t mean that he is 100% wrong either.

I don’t think it’s a fair and reasonable assessment of the club- it’s hyperbole and clickbait, and it worked.

What would be more accurate is that it was a close game, we got beaten around the contest due to some great tagging by George Hewett, didn’t give ourselves enough opportunities. Our inside 50s were characterised by poor disposal and decision making and our forward line lacked chemistry, was unwilling and probably incapable of capitalising on the opportunities we did get. Sydney were bad enough that we almost snatched the 4 points, but I honestly don’t think we deserved to win it.

But a 12 goal win was never a reasonable expectation and failing that does not suddenly become a reflection of culture and leadership. Sydney’s culture and leadership in our shoes would not have beat Sydney by 12 goals either.

Really? You’re the one that’s trying to make it about me, Dapper.

Just because you agree with what he’s saying doesn’t mean that he is 100% right. By the same token me disagreeing with it doesn’t mean that he is 100% wrong either.

I don’t think it’s a fair and reasonable assessment of the club- it’s hyperbole and clickbait, and it worked.

What would be more accurate is that it was a close game, we got beaten around the contest due to some great tagging by George Hewett, didn’t give ourselves enough opportunities. Our inside 50s were characterised by poor disposal and decision making and our forward line lacked chemistry, was unwilling and probably incapable of capitalising on the opportunities we did get. Sydney were bad enough that we almost snatched the 4 points, but I honestly don’t think we deserved to win it.

But a 12 goal win was never a reasonable expectation and failing that does not suddenly become a reflection of culture and leadership. Sydney’s culture and leadership in our shoes would not have beat Sydney by 12 goals either.

Haha, you're the one who comes out swinging on the journo using, dare I say, hyperbole. Perhaps express your problems with it a bit better next time.

If you can bring yourself to get past the fact that it's not mean to be an in depth study of the game and our season, you may find out why a few of us are all agreeing with it.

2 weeks ago a lot of us would have thought we were capable of a big win over Sydney. And culture/leadership might be a factor of our regression since then. Pretty simple I would have thought.

But a 12 goal win was never a reasonable expectation
Which is part of the clubs problem.

They were 1-6 and have played horrendously, we absolutely should've belted the beejesus out of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back