Autopsy Richmond d Freo Rd 8 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honest question, but am I the only one who doesn't understand when people say Cerra lacks pace in the middle? Kind of like Mundy and Pendlebury lack pace? Sam Mitchell, Cotchin, Callan Ward, Nick Dal Santo, Bontempelli have already shown ridiculously stupid that logic is. Cerra was the class of his draft. He's silky and creates time. Magnificent ball user (which is unfortunately why Ross plays him coming out of 50). If you get the ball and use it well as a midfielder, then speed is literally irrelevant. Give me a "slow" Pendlebury over a fast Treloar anyday of the week please.

We're rebuilding right? So Cerra's midfield minutes should be higher than what they currently are. His confidence playing out of position would be taking a hit.
Gets shown up when racing for the ball though, which is bad anywhere but more costly in the back line. I agree he looks better in the midfield or forward line but doesnt have the stamina for a midfield role yet.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
we were a bit off and kicked poorly at goal
they were on and accurate,
add to the fact we have at least 2 players who are just not good enough, who make up weak links in the chain, looking at you Hughes and Colyer
plus Langdon and Hill getting smashed on the outside midfield run
adds up 24 point loss to me

on a positive note, the Colyer and Hughes problem can be fixed by a Blakley and a Logue addition
thought Cox was okay and will be better for the run
Onwards and Upwards

I can guarantee with 100% confidence we will be moving onwards

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
Agree with your points on Cerra, he lacks pace and hasn't got the strength at the minute to break through the congestion like a Fyfe or Mundy. He isn't ready to play midfield. He has been in there sporadically with little effect. And you're right he is still a kid.
Brayshaw is in the same boat and both need a break .A week of and then come back through Peel.
Agree with your points on Cerra, he lacks pace and hasn't got the strength at the minute to break through the congestion like a Fyfe or Mundy. He isn't ready to play midfield. He has been in there sporadically with little effect. And you're right he is still a kid.
Brayshaw is in the same boat and both need a break .A week of and then come back through Peel.

Cerra is not equipped physically to play midfield at this stage in his career . Brayshaw is doing very well IMHO. Mundy and Fyfe need some support . After the gruelling contest against Adelaide our young players were given a taste of what a serious experienced team can do . We just got to see a group of players that know how to play as a team and players prepared to run hard both ways . This game will be replayed many times to drive home that uncontested football wins games and you have to work hard both ways to create oppertunities . Time will fix the forward structuers .

westy1

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2006
denmark
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
east freo
Richmond were good, and could have easily won by 10 goals. I like watching them run in a wave up the flank,knocking it forward at top pace, Id love itifwe did more of that at times. Plus half the problem is the lackof movement for the kick, it's hard to make a pass in a stagnant fowardline. The other half is poor/rushed kicking, but the former causes the latter, maybe its even a cycle. Too often the small fowards are being the marking targets. I love watching Cox he's a beast, probably our only player to shrug a tackle all day except maybe Fyfe. Tabs keeps battling and running but wish he could play more games like the gws one.

We often move the ball well up the flank, thanks to hill and Langdon but unfortunately they both had poor days

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tigers just too fast Freo just couldn’t keep up

And that was the most random collection of umpiring decisions I’ve ever seen. no consistency between calls non calls and interpretation of rules like 50m penalties.

Is it still a free kick if you kick in after a point and it goes out of bounds without being touched ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

And that was the most random collection of umpiring decisions I’ve ever seen. no consistency between calls non calls and interpretation of rules like 50m penalties.

Is it still a free kick if you kick in after a point and it goes out of bounds without being touched ?

Thought that too. No one touched that between Hughes and Dusty. Weird

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Freo were flat, right from the outset. We rarely go well after hard games, ie derbies and Crows last week. Plus with only maybe 12 or 13 guys putting in. And Fyfe, I’ve looked at the elbow a few times and it will be a week minimum, it’s just the Fremantle way. Following Fremantle is definitely bad for my health.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Agree with most thats been said, barring the potting of Cox where I must have been watching a different game. Significantly better than McCarthy has been the last few weeks. His disposal is as good or better, he can handle it not being a perfect kick on the lead and he pressures better. Thought he made more than the two tackles credited. Took seven marks...

I would also like to add that Richmond are amazing to watch when on. Their skill was top notch, their spread incredible and the way they play is so unique. Just knock it on at any cost and run in a wave of numbers. There were several times they just blindly knocked it on into space or handpassed without looking for it to go directly to a player. Incredibly well drilled and organised

The whole team come out for a casual training drill then realised 15 minutes in that a game of AFL was actually on. Cox was as bad if not the worst of the lot. However, to his credit, he worked into the game and lifted his intensity and turned out OK - but his first half or so was as poor as anybody's IMHO. In the end, we were at least no worse with him there instead of McCarthy, still reckon it was a right change even with hindisight.

As for Richmond, you've got that right. Somebody said earlier they were full of speed and class. I disagree, they are full of speed and tenacity, but not class (as I define it anyway). There's nothing particularly silky about how they play, they just bang that ball into space and commit only the barest minimum to the contest making sure that it is their plethora of faster players that will be in that space the ball finds. Eventually they find themselves with the ball and players open or as good as to pass to, making them look a million bucks.

That said, we've all seen better Tigers teams than this in both personnel and execution. They were beatable this week and we just didn't turn up.

Last edited:

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
**** I took this loss really badly. Really struggled to watch it and feel flat
I was the same and I wasn't at the game. I think its because we've been so awful for so long and then to see a few green shoots got me back into that place of thinking we might start winning a few and after the disappointment of last week I was feeling gun shy again today.
It was obvious all game we weren't going to win this one and I found I turned the sound off and played guitar and just kept an eye on it and felt better. Every time I tried to concentrate on the game Richmond would take it end to end and score and I went back to guitar playing :)
Takes a lot to keep following Freo. Must be horrible for the Saints/Carlton/North & Melbourne fans.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I agree with 90% of the analysis here so far. Just out classed. When a Tigers player is going for the ball, they are looking/thinking ahead to where they will play the ball once they get their hands on it. It seems like our boys go hard for the ball and have zero foresight. Its like they don't think about how they will use the ball until it's in hand... They almost look surprised/confused as to what to do once they get it. Poor game plan? Coaching? Lack of skill? I don't know, but we shouldn't be beat at home by Richmond's third-stringers. The silky ball use from the first few games has been absent the last two. Gotta turn it around next week if we want to have a sniff at finals.

That's a description that best matches what I saw.

Its like we were expecting it to be like the Adelaide game and wanted to get in with weight of numbers and lock it up. Richmond were smarter in getting it away from us when we were trying to move the ball out in half a metre increments. Continually Richmond found a way to close our attempts at exiting down, direct the ball away from our players without necessary taking possession right away, often through little deflections to advantage of their players. They were better drilled as to how to organize themselves around these plays, tackled and contested harder and played tougher team football that made a lot of our players wilt under pressure.

Apart from Fyfe and Mundy who can be relied on to break away from congestion on their own, I thought Tucker was one of the few who showed a bit of composure and clean handling when the ball was in dispute and was able to thread his handballs through or over the top to a more advantageous position to allow us to go forward, so I wouldn't be dropping him.

Also, they put the bite on Langdon, who started ok, and Hill who seemed physically intimidated and put off his game, and losing drive from our two high possession wingers made us look slow and limited our transition options.

Mute point?

C'mon Fellas, the expression is "moot point"

Last edited:

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle

The guys on ABC radio were saying the rule has changed along as it not on the full.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
The guys on ABC radio were saying the rule has changed along as it not on the full.

It would only be if they run out of the square, I can't remember the incident but running out of the square is equivalent to kicking it to yourself. You could always kick it out without getting touched as long as you played on out of the square.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Heard Crowley on SEN say his fear before the game was our forwards constantly flying for the same ball instead of spreading. Mentioned it during the second term.

This was a problem even when Crowley was around. We watched Lake win a Norm Smith courtesy of our pathetic entries. 6 years later Ross still has no forward structure.

Also said Switta is becoming one of his favs.
He tweeted that last week too. So ******* frustrating.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Honest question, but am I the only one who doesn't understand when people say Cerra lacks pace in the middle? Kind of like Mundy and Pendlebury lack pace? Sam Mitchell, Cotchin, Callan Ward, Nick Dal Santo, Bontempelli have already shown ridiculously stupid that logic is. Cerra was the class of his draft. He's silky and creates time. Magnificent ball user (which is unfortunately why Ross plays him coming out of 50). If you get the ball and use it well as a midfielder, then speed is literally irrelevant. Give me a "slow" Pendlebury over a fast Treloar anyday of the week please.

We're rebuilding right? So Cerra's midfield minutes should be higher than what they currently are. His confidence playing out of position would be taking a hit.
I think you misread it.

He said he isn't read to play midfield yet due to strength and stamina.

In a few years he will be.

This is why he plays midfield late in the game, when the hard running has gone and his body won't get battered as much

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kicking efficiency’s yesterday.
Switta Hamling Nyhuis 100%
Cox 88.9%
Tabs 75%
Fyfe 73.3%
Hogan 71.4%
Mundy 68.2%
Ryan 68.8%
Pearce 66.7%
Langdon 60%
Tucker 50%

So we had 12 guys 50% or higher by foot. That’s terrible..

Hill 45.5%
Matera & Colyer 44.4%
Wilson 42.9%
Conca & Walters 41.7%
Lobb 36.4%
Cerra 28.6%
Hughes 25%
Brayshaw 20%

All these guys need a serious rocket.

To give some contrast, Richmond had 4 guys under 50% by foot. That’s the game right there

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
To give some contrast, Richmond had 4 guys under 50% by foot. That’s the game right there

The reason our DE is always low is because our game style leads to more pressure on the kicker. It's easy to make a pinpoint kick when you're 10 meters in the clear. It's a lot harder when you just received a handball from the guy 2 meters away and are about to be tackled.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I suspected we were capitalising on a soft early fixture, but the GWS game made me buy in. Now I’m thinking that capitalising is exactly what happened. Some very uninspired victories over St Kilda, Bulldogs and then now this. Our home form is a legitimate concern now if this team intends to play finals.

If we’re satisfied to be a rebuilding team giving it a go, then tonight was fine.
Well we are. We will have good and bad days. To be honest yesterday was our first bad day at the office this year. Our players just played into the Tigers plan, over using the ball and rushed. Our forwards seemed to congegrate all together again... The midfield was a two man show with Lobb and Fyfe.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reason our DE is always low is because our game style leads to more pressure on the kicker. It's easy to make a pinpoint kick when you're 10 meters in the clear. It's a lot harder when you just received a handball from the guy 2 meters away and are about to be tackled.

That’s not game style, there’s no way they’re taught to play that way. Plus we’ve missed targets when we’ve been miles in the clear. Langdon and Colyer main guys there yesterday

Reason we’re under pressure all the time is because our first touch apart from Fyfe and Mundy is a fumble. Gives the opposition too much time.

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would only be if they run out of the square, I can't remember the incident but running out of the square is equivalent to kicking it to yourself. You could always kick it out without getting touched as long as you played on out of the square.

Thx guess the goal square is irrelevant now

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
They are taught to play that way. It's always been the hallmark of Ross Lyon's game plan to get numbers to the contest. It's the one constant.

Numbers to the contest is fine. Taking the wrong options out of the contest isn’t. He’s not telling them to handball to players under pressure after fumbling.

You see most teams get numbers to contests. Most teams can execute the release handballs to a runner though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back