Autopsy Richmond d Freo Rd 8 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Gets shown up when racing for the ball though, which is bad anywhere but more costly in the back line. I agree he looks better in the midfield or forward line but doesnt have the stamina for a midfield role yet.

I’ve seen that mentioned a bit on here, what makes you say that?

I liked how when we were five or six goals down Ross threw in the towel and put Brayshaw and Cerra into the middle with Fyfe.

We are really lacking a tap ruckman. We have a very good stoppage group at the feet but we are scraping for a breakeven at the ruck.

Yeah agree. Don’t care if Darcy hasn’t set the world on fire, we need games into him. Lobb looked so dangerous forward yesterday, having him there longer would have been nice. Who comes out for Darcy I dunno.

Yeah agree. Don’t care if Darcy hasn’t set the world on fire, we need games into him. Lobb looked so dangerous forward yesterday, having him there longer would have been nice. Who comes out for Darcy I dunno.

I think we need to look at a forward set up of any three of Hogan, Lobb, Taberner or Cox. The one that misses out is replaced by the ruckman.

Taberner was stiff as a board yesterday during the game, he was assuming all sorts of hip stretching positions on the ground between play. He has played really well against Essendon though, but I think he (with many others) could do with a break.

Why are we acting like Conca and Colyer are prized recruits? They were fringe players at their respective clubs and we got them for basically nothing. They are depth. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve our depth. But they were both straight in at Round 1 and have been untouchable, despite being serviceable at the very best and usually below average. How can they be so locked into the best 22 and keep out someone like Blakely, or even keep us from debuting promising young players like North or Bewley? Kind of feels like Ross going back to his risk averse ways and playing experience for the sake of it.

Brayshaw - man I really want him to do well but it's actually weird how many times his disposals go straight to the opposition or not to our advantage, even the 50/50 ones. He looks so low on confidence. Would it be such a bad thing to give him a few weeks at Peel to rack them up and remind himself what sort of player he can be.

Langdon - might get blasted for this, but if he wants to seek a trade at the end of the year, let him. He has some currency and usually racks up enough of the ball. Let the Vic clubs build up his price by bidding for him. In a team with poor skills on average, he has got to be one of the worst with his disposal. He is a real momentum killer at times, his kicking is just shocking. If we could get a decent player in return or even first rounder, I'd do a deal.

Btw another telling stat from yesterday.

Tackles inside 50
Freo - 3 (Switta Cox Cerra)
Richmond - 16

Ball came out far too easily. Hate to say it, but we’re missing Ballantyne

That was also due to them going very direct at goal and we tended to move the ball in circle attempts, resulting in lots of spillages. A tackle gets recorded if you tackle the player and either they drop it, it is handballed to grass or a free kick is paid against. So all those times we handballed and just missed a team mate while the opponent was hanging on, those counted as tackles.

I think we need to look at a forward set up of any three of Hogan, Lobb, Taberner or Cox. The one that misses out is replaced by the ruckman.

Taberner was stiff as a board yesterday during the game, he was assuming all sorts of hip stretching positions on the ground between play. He has played really well against Essendon though, but I think he (with many others) could do with a break.

Yeah tend to agree. Wouldn’t mind seeing them push Cox back for someone & swinging him forward when needed. He is a solid mark and uses the ball well. Natural defender as a kid.

That was also due to them going very direct at goal and we tended to move the ball in circle attempts, resulting in lots of spillages. A tackle gets recorded if you tackle the player and either they drop it, it is handballed to grass or a free kick is paid against. So all those times we handballed and just missed a team mate while the opponent was hanging on, those counted as tackles.

True, we are a lot better than only 3 tackles i50 but. We were brushed aside very easily a fair few times.

That's a description that best matches what I saw.

Its like we were expecting it to be like the Adelaide game and wanted to get in with weight of numbers and lock it up. Richmond were smarter in getting it away from us when we were trying to move the ball out in half a metre increments. Continually Richmond found a way to close our attempts at exiting down, direct the ball away from our players without necessary taking possession right away, often through little deflections to advantage of their players. They were better drilled as to how to organize themselves around these plays, tackled and contested harder and played tougher team football that made a lot of our players wilt under pressure.

Apart from Fyfe and Mundy who can be relied on to break away from congestion on their own, I thought Tucker was one of the few who showed a bit of composure and clean handling when the ball was in dispute and was able to thread his handballs through or over the top to a more advantageous position to allow us to go forward, so I wouldn't be dropping him.

Also, they put the bite on Langdon, who started ok, and Hill who seemed physically intimidated and put off his game, and losing drive from our two high possession wingers made us look slow and limited our transition options.

C'mon Fellas, the expression is "moot point"

Haha yeah I actually typed it “ moot” but corrected myself after I thought it didn’t look right
Thanks for the clarification, the grammar police are actually handy sometimes

**** I took this loss really badly. Really struggled to watch it and feel flat
Me too. Most angry and annoyed I’ve been at a game in a long time. Totally unacceptable.

As I’ve said before I made a conscious decision after the 2015 preliminary final loss to never feel that bad about a game of football ever again
It’s just a game fellas move on
Tell you what though , I did think, geez I hope that’s not the loss which turns our season into another mid to low ladder finishing shemozzle

Langdon - might get blasted for this, but if he wants to seek a trade at the end of the year, let him. He has some currency and usually racks up enough of the ball. Let the Vic clubs build up his price by bidding for him. In a team with poor skills on average, he has got to be one of the worst with his disposal. He is a real momentum killer at times, his kicking is just shocking. If we could get a decent player in return or even first rounder, I'd do a deal.

been saying this all year. He can run but he can't play football. If someone offers a first rounder for him i would take it in a heartbeat.

the shot he had a goal you could mark down as a point before he even took it. his skills are shocking.

I liked how when we were five or six goals down Ross threw in the towel and put Brayshaw and Cerra into the middle with Fyfe.

We are really lacking a tap ruckman. We have a very good stoppage group at the feet but we are scraping for a breakeven at the ruck.

Lobb won 45 hitouts :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numbers to the contest is fine. Taking the wrong options out of the contest isn’t. He’s not telling them to handball to players under pressure after fumbling.

When everyone is at the contest, all your handball options are going to be under pressure, because they are still within tackling distance of the opposition players at the contest. That's always been the issue and is the major cause of our poor DE%. We are always under pressure because we go to contest instead of waiting outside on the spread.

Having only watched the second quarter and listening to the rest on radio so far I can only assume at this stage we r too tall in the F50 and the better teams are going to choose to congest the F50 then counter and get us on the rebound.

The players are hack kicking it to the hotspot everytime where 6 players are fighting for the same pill and without locking it in we r then getting out run back the other way.

If we had better delivery inside F50, better leading patterns, setshots and defensive pressure to lock it in the strategy would work but its not ATM.

So do we persist with the it and hope things fix themselves and players find form or do we change the structure up a bit? I vote for the latter.

Lobb won 45 hitouts :drunk:
I'd expect him to dictate play more then, his strength is his marking.

There was a passage of play where we had the ball at our half forward line kicking towards the train station end when Lobb signaled for Tabs to take the ruck and he went and ran up to the wing to get behind the long kick. A good 50 to 60m away from the ball.

We were in a position to attack the goals, I'm assuming it was instruction, and he moved out of the ruck to be an intercept mark.

If it was a coaching move they were correct, he took that mark the next kick up that line, it went straight to him.

If he were dominant in his position as a ruckman I don't think he is moved out of that spot when we are a chance to score from it.

For the most part we played dumb, stupid footy

On the flip side if it weren’t for Richmond’s 4 goal head start when we just didn’t work hard enough I’m almost certain we would have won

We played okay in patches, but we lacked forward structure and a defensive midfielder competent enough to be able to protect our potential first ball getter. They were great at nullifying our first ball use and either getting the next possession or the one after. We won 2-3 of the first clearances, just coughed it up only for them to run down the other end and goal. Every shot they had early they seemed to slot. And then when the game was on the line in the third they were nailing some difficult set shots and snaps that killed the game

We weren’t great but we weren’t terrible either. Richmond worked harder than us and for one another and it showed

Why are we acting like Conca and Colyer are prized recruits? .

Mainly due to stated club policy which says we don't trade for anyone unless they're considered automatic best 22. Would be very surprised if either is dropped, despite Colyer being awful.

Time will fix the forward structuers .
I am sure this is a big part of it; they need time together. A big thing at the moment is there is a lack of clarity about what our best forward line actually looks like.

Is Lobb in it, and if so what happens with Taberner and Cox, because the three of them is way too many.

Hogan is looking like a combination of lost and lacking in fitness, but also seems to be bringing almost nothing to the forward line in terms of how they should play. I was hoping you would be a bit of a General up there and get them gelling, but.... not yet.

Small forwards are where we need to improve. Matera has been doing well, but I am struggling to like him as a player. When he kicks goals I love him. Other times.... I am frustrated.

I want the club to start moving towards our 2020 best 22. That means bringing in Darcy as soon as possible, and slotting Lobb forward. After that, I would play Hogan and Cox as the talls. Forget 4 talls or the idea that McCarthy is a medium.

As soon as possible I am hoping we add Sturt and Henry to the forward line, probably joining Matera.

As I’ve said before I made a conscious decision after the 2015 preliminary final loss to never feel that bad about a game of football ever again
It’s just a game fellas move on
Tell you what though , I did think, geez I hope that’s not the loss which turns our season into another mid to low ladder finishing shemozzle
Going to be like last year i am afraid , We were 4 wins and 4 losses at the same time last year only percentage is a bit better this year. And only won another 4 for the rest of the season. On yesterdays performance i would say a repeat of that crap is on the cards.

I still haven't heard a plausible reason why Blakely didn't play. One reason given by Ross was you don't change a side that's doing well. Hello coaching panel we lost against Adelaide.:rolleyes:
I thought there would me more said about Connors omission. Thought Ross would have caught more flak over it. Connor instead of Colyer could have made all the difference.

The dreaded fumbles struck again. Pressure plays it’s part but we make life very difficult for ourselves. Richmond constantly found targets by hand even when being tackled strongly. I hope that experience and confidence will play it’s part with the young blokes at least.🙏

Remove this Banner Ad

Back