Review Review: R8 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked:

beating Port Power. Always good.
Alex Keath, Danial Talia and Kyle Hartigan defensive prowess
The composure of Luke Brown
Rory Laird back to his sensational best form.
Greenwood’s hands. His in and under and ability to get his hands free.
Brad Crouch’s form.

Hated:

That we are now a low scoring team now but we are winning, so will overlook it.
Greenwood kicking into the man on the mark when Port Power were storming home.
The 6 minute period in the 4th Quarter when Port Power kicked 4 goals in a row. Was quite nerve racking.
Learnt:

We are getting much better at handing the pressure from teams who pressure us.
We can still win with Tex and Eddie having limited impact on the game.

Ryder went over the mark when Greenwood kicked for that goal

Was a s**t kick though

Port board is a great read!

Melts a plenty.

They think they would have won the game if Dixon gray Ebert wanganeen brogan treadrea primus and Pickett were in..

Love the port delusional hypotheticals... but they are crap so... there is that case closed
I saw a few of them (that j..anus fella) say if dixon was there they win easily. Funny but i thought talia has destroyed him most showdowns

The hilarious thing is: they're all trying to adopt the 'Crows are getting ahead of themselves, hurr hurr' routine (when absolutely no one on this board is rating us a contender just yet) to try to salvage their fragile psyches. Like we're placing any weight on beating them (who none of us rate).

Meanwhile they're all outright deluding themselves about the closeness of this game based upon one five minute patch where they kicked four goals. That's it. One patch. This game wasnt close, and it wouldnt have changed with just one or two additions. We had control almost all of the match. Even during their other 'good' patches with inside 50s it was being played entirely on our terms- we slowly and methodically ground them down. You don't need big flurries or a knock out punch to win the fight, sometimes you can just use your dominance, control the clinches, know that they can't hit you, and collect the points.

And when the game had tightened, we took back control. The game was ours from the moment they got within three goals- and but for Greenwood's fluke error would have been sealed sooner. They threw a flurry, they didnt knock us out, we leant on them, imposed our strength, and retook control.

And let them keep deluding. It's this 'yeah, well we would 'av won but for...' routine they've been rolling out after showdowns for years now that stops them from changing anything at Showdowns and keeps us winning them. The first step is admitting our superiority, and looking for ways to fix it- but they'll never do that.

J anus going full Lindy on the Poort board. Totally deciphered the first 2 quarters. Cant wait for the 3rd quarter to be posted. The comment for Motlops squib should be epic.

I'm sure there'll be a riveting explanation for their failure to smash us (which was Janus's prediction if I recall).

Js anus is the biggest melt marshmallow of them all over there in portsville

We have been average and we haven’t beaten anyone worth raving about... soo hence why no one cares about beating ports as much as they think we care.. we just don’t. It’s just another win against another bottom 8 side... Groundhog Day really.

Kens press conference was gold. Talk about no accountability and essentially said in between words we were lucky and we fluked the win...

I love Ken. Hoping the port powers above give him another contract extension for as long as they both shall live!

"And if I see Dwayne Russell in person, I'm going to tell him that Walker is booed because he's a *******, and to not pretend that he speaks for us "

This is my favourite bit.

Dwayne: Don't worry folks at home, this is in good nature and they're capable of showing respect, they're not a pack of complete feckless morons.

Janus: No! NO! Don't speak for us! We are morons! YOU TAKE IT BACK YOU C****!

I’m sure the Silent J will be heat mapping his little heart out to explain why the Paer really were the much better team on the night.

Watched a bit of the game again yesterday and 1 thing that was really noticeable on the second viewing was Eddie and Berg's playing relationship. Eddie was really looking to get to the feet of Berg in a true crumbing small forward style (a trait he seems to have been less and less inclined to do with JJ). Seems like Eddie has obviously gained confidence in Berg's ability to compete and bring the ball front and square!

I think Port actually did quite well to smother Eddie's influence on Saturday, but in a less intense game if this is how Berg and Eddie set up I wont be surprised to see Eddie get off the leash this season.

Very good sign!

The hilarious thing is: they're all trying to adopt the 'Crows are getting ahead of themselves, hurr hurr' routine (when absolutely no one on this board is rating us a contender just yet) to try to salvage their fragile psyches. Like we're placing any weight on beating them (who none of us rate).

Meanwhile they're all outright deluding themselves about the closeness of this game based upon one five minute patch where they kicked four goals. That's it. One patch. This game wasnt close, and it wouldnt have changed with just one or two additions. We had control almost all of the match. Even during their other 'good' patches with inside 50s it was being played entirely on our terms- we slowly and methodically ground them down. You don't need big flurries or a knock out punch to win the fight, sometimes you can just use your dominance, control the clinches, know that they can't hit you, and collect the points.

And when the game had tightened, we took back control. The game was ours from the moment they got within three goals- and but for Greenwood's fluke error would have been sealed sooner. They threw a flurry, they didnt knock us out, we leant on them, imposed our strength, and retook control.

And let them keep deluding. It's this 'yeah, well we would 'av won but for...' routine they've been rolling out after showdowns for years now that stops them from changing anything at Showdowns and keeps us winning them. The first step is admitting our superiority, and looking for ways to fix it- but they'll never do that.
Perhaps next showdown they will turn up for an entire quarter instead of 15 minutes of the last quarter. In three years time they might even have an entire match in them.

I’m officially well and truly OFF the gallucci train

Gets his chances but doesn’t take his moments

He’s not a natural or prolific player, but he has to grasp his opportunities.

He doesn’t. He doesn’t make plays, good things don’t happen when he’s involved. He’s an anonymous, vanilla link in the chain

Pass
Although I fully agree with this post I can’t bring myself to get off the Gooch train... not with a moustache like that. It is pretty epic

I think since the grand final, teams have decided that the way to stop our run is with pressure and we struggle to score, which is true. In 2018 we tried to adjust the game plan to open up scoring even when under pressure and this didn't work. This year we have adjusted our game plan so that if the opposition is going to try suffocate our ball movement and make it difficult to score, we just have to make it more difficult for them.
If we keep winning like we have the last two weeks in low scoring affairs when the opposition's game plan is pressure, eventually they will stop and try a game plan that involves more scoring.

In Hawthorn's prime years Clarko would adjust their gameplan every year and they would start slow each year as they ironed out the kinks and finish strong, I hope that is the reason for our slow start. Ironing out the kinks in a new game plan while players learn what they should be doing and the rest of the season will be a slow improvement to a September peak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know im getting way ahead of myself but imagine winning thr premiership and getting pick 1. Has that ever happened?

Considering it's only been traded once (I think), no. Hawks were finalists that year though.

Sorry but I hated this play from him. If you actually watch it properly he had Lynch wide open 10 metres from him with no opponent running directly to goal. Yes great burst from the pack but like unfortunately most other times, didn't do what he should with the ball.

Edit: and sprayed it on the boot for out on the full. Certainly was nowhere near the best option.

I'm the opposite, I'm ok to happy with that play, as I am with any play a kid used their tools in, but stuffs it up.

Experience tells you to lower the eyes, but you need to create the opportunity in the first place. Gooch did that.

He was easily our least effective player on Saturday night. Really needs to be managed properly starting with a rest this week. Give Stengle a shot.

To be fair, it's difficult for a small forward to be good in a defensive scrap.

I’m sure the Silent J will be heat mapping his little heart out to explain why the Paer really were the much better team on the night.
Maybe they actually were the better team. They dominated the hitouts and clearances.

The fact they were never in the game and we coasted to the win then is damning on Ken and the coaching panel.

Should have said dropped to 2s as others who are performing in SANFL should be ahead of him for AFL selection.
Can't really disagree. Jones and Mchenry are in better form in the twos than gooch was. I obviously would like them to be given a shot as well.

Only argument I can make is that someone like knight could be the one to go out instead. Here's a guy who's been given a clear run at it but looks to have a pretty low ceiling. I always liked his mongrel and thought his skills would get better as time went on. I just don't think he has much class for AFL level.

Good summary.

I actually didn’t mind Atkins’ game either. 21 with almost 80% of those in the back half. With 7 rebound 50’s, he was the switch outlet and gained us a very tidy 627m running out of defence.

Not our worst that’s for sure

The other point about EH’s kicking - it’s frustrating to see him burn some easy ones. But he’s a technically accomplished kick of the footy, only have to see his field kicking.

It’s definitely not the skill- he just needs to work through settling himself and calmly executing.

Definitely not the skill when you’re missing by 45 degrees on easy shots and nailing much harder ones when you’ve only got 20 degrees to work with. He’ll work through it.

Can't really disagree. Jones and Mchenry are in better form in the twos than gooch was. I obviously would like them to be given a shot as well.

Only argument I can make is that someone like knight could be the one to go out instead. Here's a guy who's been given a clear run at it but looks to have a pretty low ceiling. I always liked his mongrel and thought his skills would get better as time went on. I just don't think he has much class for AFL level.
I’ve been a bit underwhelmed with Riley too, but then, he’s our 5th ranked goal kicker and ranks #2 in the side for tackles.

Watching him closely at the ground a couple of times, he has a tough role. Plays as a smallish half forward rotating up to the wing. They don’t really play through him at all.

Have a feeling it may be one of those roles that is key to a more contested game plan - ie winning contested possessions in the forward half as opposed to accumulating. He goes at almost 5 CP per game

Guess we’ll find out as the season progresses and pressure builds from returning players

Last edited:
A few things for comment I may or may not be right in....
Does Eddy need some time in the twos to regain his mojo? He did some lovely one-percenters against Pear, but even factoring in the close attention he got he was not the Eddy we know and love.
Does Matt Crouch need lessons on how to protect the ball drop? Goes for those close-in contested chest marks by sticking out his arms instead of using his body.
Another question...who do we drop for Milera and Seed? The back 6--7 are playing so well it's hard to see an obvious out. I guess Seed comes in on a wing, but do we try Milera as a small forward?

Pyke may not be best coach in AFL but hell is a lot better than the KEN.
More importantly he is not total d---k like the KEN.
Some of his comments after loss reminded me of 2 KEN classics
1--- His only win in showdown hand signals from box.
2 -- This years first game win over Melbourne statement ( best win ever even better than finals win)
Melbourne gone on to be either bottom or near all year and on weekends just beat GC by 1 point .
Long live he reigns as Power King.

The other point about EH’s kicking - it’s frustrating to see him burn some easy ones. But he’s a technically accomplished kick of the footy, only have to see his field kicking.

It’s definitely not the skill- he just needs to work through settling himself and calmly executing.
I think you have to let young Key Forwards have a few bad misses, and not judge them too harshly. Its a mental battle with guys that they need to get over in their own time.

However whenever he has the ball in his hand he looks confident and not too overwhelmed by the moment. So I really don't think his set shot kicking will be a long term issue!

I think you have to let young Key Forwards have a few bad misses, and not judge them too harshly. Its a mental battle with guys that they need to get over in their own time.

However whenever he has the ball in his hand he looks confident and not too overwhelmed by the moment. So I really don't think his set shot kicking will be a long term issue!
The interesting thing with him is that he made his name in U18’s as a creative key defender. Was very composed and creative in general field play distributing off half back.

It’s only since being drafted has he been turned into a key forward /ruck.

This explains field play being a handy string to his bow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back