Review Hard Fought 16 Point Win Over The Lions

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was so good being able to buy cans of carlton draft ($7 much better than the mid strength crap at marvel), stand on the outer, freezing cold, with a vocal small but passionate crowd. Felt like back at the old days at Western oval.

Great win to boot too, made the train ride back to Melbourne much more bearable.

I am in Cape Town SA for work and was listening on the SEN App! I think I frightened a few people at breakfast with my random fist pumping!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maclean is a concern. I thought he’d be a useful small forward but he’s pretty much proven he isn’t. I don’t know whether it’s since he bulked up, but he slips over more than any other player in the league. Including Lachie Hunter.

I was really annoyed to see Gowers taking spells around the contest in the 4th term. That should literally never be allowed when you consider the embarrassment of riches we have in that department.

Loads of positives today. Trengove was so important for us. Gave away some stupid free kicks but he’s plugging holes and doing it very well.

Suckers slotted straight back in. Man I love that left foot.

People still unsure about Lachy Young. I think that was his best game. Far more composed on the ball and good defensively.

Small forward is the hardest position to play consistently but I think Maclean has been okay and reality is we can’t fit everyone in the midfield.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems when Gowers is not getting a touch Bevo puts him in the middle to get him into the game. Unfortunately it does not work and McLean should be given a chance. Really interesting if Gowers is dropped. Two 6 possessions games in a row is deplorable for a mid size forward. If this was any other player they would be dropped. Chucking Boyd in the square would be more value even if he was only half fit.

Thought Lions should have been 4 goals up and half time but we scrapped well. Young looks promising but not best 22 at the moment, Hayes is a good depth player but untidy while Gowers is not AFL standard anymore. Massive drop from last year. Still not convinced we have enough clsss in the team to challenge good sides but the effort appears there.

We have more than enough class it’s that whole conversion thing that we need to continue to get right.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Libba quiet the last 2 weeks after Dunkley was moved into the midfield and on the ball (i.e. Libba's previous position).

Dunkley is doing it better so he should continue with the role.

Where does Libba play in the interim? he is not getting it done in the forward line tbh. I feel out setup is only suited to one of Libba/Dunkley, perhaps with his footskills and vision, might work playing him off the HBF, but we are stacked there already.

Have him on the forward line annoying the crap out of the opposition!

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
While I agree very much that we should probably be 2 games better in the win column, Gold Coast have actually played pretty well this year and we definitely didn’t deserve to win that game against them, we are not playing the same now as we were then though. So it’s true you wonder how we could have possibly lost those two but for me it was the Carlton game that was worse. Carlton are a terrible team and we should not have lost to them no matter what. I’m not sure what happened mentally to our guys in that game but they just had a shocker. We still should be able to beat Carlton even having a shocker, and if we just kick straighter against Freo we probably win that one as well.

Glad to be back in the hunt but definitely wasted a chance to be 6-2 and right up near the top. Hopefully they can keep it going next week but it will be about as hard as it gets trying to win down at the Cattery.

Kicking killed us against Carlton, at one point in the 3rd Qtr we had the same amount of scoring shots but were 5 goals down.

The 9 things we learned article was of course all about how young they are

The bloke that wrote that & made it all about them certainly doesn’t like the Bulldogs. He had a big go at us in one of those kinds of articles in pre season or this season. Saints flog jealous about 2016

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Those 25 hours turned out to be really nice. :p

How good is it? Always happens as well.

We pull off a win, jump back into the 8, look at matches to come and think 'yep Giants and Freo have got these easy, we're in the eight for the week'. Next minute, both of them lose the unloseables.

Smash head against open palm.

Last edited:

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And coach took all the glory for the move in presser, we decided after Freemantle game, Round 5, saving the egg off the coaches faces.Your a coaching genius!
Bevo seems to out coach the s**t out of your mob, particularly on the big occasions. Umpires love Bevo as well.

Didn’t you blokes get first dibs on Dunkley a few years back? Geez, you should have grabbed him. A young bull who regularly gets 35 would have fit in well

Morris Major

Premium Gold
Apr 28, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some perspective there. The lions are lauded for their young and inexperienced talent. We are younger and less experienced.

Don't forget 'average' is a very misleading stat. Their average would be skewed by blokes like Hodge (300+ games) and Rich, Robinson, Martin, Zorko (all 150+).

In comparison most of our 22 are in the 50-150 games bracket, many of whom have finals experience and/or have been in the senior AFL system for a long time.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Bevo seems to out coach the **** out of your mob, particularly on the big occasions. Umpires love Bevo as well.

Didn’t you blokes get first dibs on Dunkley a few years back? Geez, you should have grabbed him. A young bull who regularly gets 35 would have fit in well

I doubt he's a Sydney supporter. Looks like an alt account of someone from this board.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The "Metres Gained Mafia" holds at ten players this week. Marcus "Don" Bontempelli remains
the sole Bulldog ranked 5th with 524.00 (mpg).

Other Bulldogs in the top 100:
Rank 18: Caleb Daniel 466.00 (mpg)
Rank 34: Jason Johannisen 435.60 (mpg)
Rank 37: Matthew Suckling 431.60 (mpg)
Rank 57: Lachie Hunter 392.12 (mpg)
Rank 73: Taylor Duryea 370.00 (mpg)
Rank 80: Hayden Crozier 365.12 (mpg)
Rank 92: Tom Liberatore 348.00 (mpg)

Player of the week:
Lachie Hunter: 502 (metres)

A big drop off from Matthew Suckling after an adjustment to his role on his return to greatness.
Don't worry Suckers will be back on an upward trajectory as I've heard he hates the cold.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't forget 'average' is a very misleading stat. Their average would be skewed by blokes like Hodge (300+ games) and Rich, Robinson, Martin, Zorko (all 150+).

In comparison most of our 22 are in the 50-150 games bracket, many of whom have finals experience and/or have been in the senior AFL system for a long time.
In isolation they both mean nothing. The games and age combined has some merit though.

The "Metres Gained Mafia" holds at ten players this week. Marcus "Don" Bontempelli remains
the sole Bulldog ranked 5th with 524.00 (mpg).

Other Bulldogs in the top 100:
Rank 18: Caleb Daniel 466.00 (mpg)
Rank 34: Jason Johannisen 435.60 (mpg)
Rank 37: Matthew Suckling 431.60 (mpg)
Rank 57: Lachie Hunter 392.12 (mpg)
Rank 73: Taylor Duryea 370.00 (mpg)
Rank 80: Hayden Crozier 365.12 (mpg)
Rank 92: Tom Liberatore 348.00 (mpg)

Player of the week:
Lachie Hunter: 502 (metres)

A big drop off from Matthew Suckling after an adjustment to his role on his return to greatness.
Don't worry Suckers will be back on an upward trajectory as I've heard he hates the cold.
Strong effort to overcome that handicap to be BOG

Morris Major

Premium Gold
Apr 28, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In isolation they both mean nothing. The games and age combined has some merit though.

Having 2 players at age 18, 10 games and age 30, 200 games will average 24 and 105 games
Having 2 players at age 23, 90 games and age 25, 120 games will also average 24 and 105 games

Combined aged and games mean nothing if you don't look at what goes into the aggregate.

Oldpuppy

Draftee
May 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Dunkley in this role does 90% of what P Cripps does
Supa coach took until start last quarter to play them on each other, game was over, Cripps had 3 disposal in the last quarter, finished with almost 40 for game!
There’s another one to add to the list.

AFLCA Votes
WESTERN BULLDOGS v BRISBANE

10 Josh Dunkley (WB)
5 Dayne Zorko (BL)
4 Jason Johannisen (WB)
3 Sam Lloyd (WB)
3 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Mitch Robinson (BL)
2 Jackson Trengove (WB)
1 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

Interesting split. Eight different players got votes. Here's my guess but either or both of the 3 and 2 votes could easily be swapped to the other coach. It's possible the 4&1 votes could be swapped over too (as a job lot). I don't remember Bevo talking much about JJ after the game which you'd expect if he really rated his performance.

Bevo
5. Dunkley
4. JJ
3. Lloyd
2. Trengove
1. Zorko

Fagan
5. Dunkley
4. Zorko
3. McCluggage
2. Robinson
1. Bontempelli

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFLCA Votes
WESTERN BULLDOGS v BRISBANE

10 Josh Dunkley (WB)
5 Dayne Zorko (BL)
4 Jason Johannisen (WB)
3 Sam Lloyd (WB)
3 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Mitch Robinson (BL)
2 Jackson Trengove (WB)
1 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

Interesting split. Eight different players got votes. Here's my guess but either or both of the 3 and 2 votes could easily be swapped to the other coach. It's possible the 4&1 votes could be swapped over too (as a job lot). I don't remember Bevo talking much about JJ after the game which you'd expect if he really rated his performance.

Bevo
5. Dunkley
4. JJ
3. Lloyd
2. Trengove
1. Zorko

Fagan
5. Dunkley
4. Zorko
3. McCluggage
2. Robinson
1. Bontempelli
Dunkley barely crept above 54% disposal efficiency and had eight clangers, McCluggage was enormous in the
first quarter, but invisible when it counted. Strange votes, not for the first time either.

Back