Review Review: R8 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Look media etc can go on about our new defensive structure etc.
But it is our overall pressure on the ball and ball carrier with much better tackling that has turned it around for us.
ROB and Big Easy having ability to compete in the air and on the ground and actually tackle have been huge bonus along with whole team lifting in ground ball and applying pressure on every possession with even Mackay and Atkins getting involved.

I have no argument with the judges here. It is pretty much how I saw it:

Full Showdown Medal voting:

Alex Keath (Adelaide) – 10 (3,3,2,1,1)

Tom Rockliff (Port Adelaide) – 8 (2,2,2,1,1)

Tom Lynch (Adelaide) – 7 (3,3,1)

Rory Laird (Adelaide) – 6 (3,3)

Rory Sloane (Adelaide) – 3 (2,1)

Hugh Greenwood (Adelaide) – 2 (2)

I think since the grand final, teams have decided that the way to stop our run is with pressure and we struggle to score, which is true. In 2018 we tried to adjust the game plan to open up scoring even when under pressure and this didn't work. This year we have adjusted our game plan so that if the opposition is going to try suffocate our ball movement and make it difficult to score, we just have to make it more difficult for them.
If we keep winning like we have the last two weeks in low scoring affairs when the opposition's game plan is pressure, eventually they will stop and try a game plan that involves more scoring.

In Hawthorn's prime years Clarko would adjust their gameplan every year and they would start slow each year as they ironed out the kinks and finish strong, I hope that is the reason for our slow start. Ironing out the kinks in a new game plan while players learn what they should be doing and the rest of the season will be a slow improvement to a September peak.
I genuinely think the coaches, including Pyke thought there would be more room with 6-6-6 around stoppage and 1 on 1 contests either end.

Its been the opposite and after the North game the game plan changed.

Been awesome to see and even though we lost to a bottom side in North, it was the loss we needed to change things up.

I genuinely think the coaches, including Pyke thought there would be more room with 6-6-6 around stoppage and 1 on 1 contests either end.

Its been the opposite and after the North game the game plan changed.

Been awesome to see and even though we lost to a bottom side in North, it was the loss we needed to change things up.
Completely agree ... Don has been great last few weeks. Losses are going to happen but turned it around quickly. He's coached to our strengths and changed things up when things weren't going our way due to opp setup. Underrated coach IMO. Be great to get a quality fwd line coach. Roughy would be good!

Last edited:

Further to the voting above, Talia might be a bit stiff not to collect one and deserves an honorable mention.

The interesting thing with him is that he made his name in U18’s as a creative key defender. Was very composed and creative in general field play distributing off half back.

It’s only since being drafted has he been turned into a key forward /ruck.

This explains field play being a handy string to his bow
Also explains his comfort fighting for the ball in contested airial situations regardless of what position he is in. I can't remember seeing a Crows forward thats more tenacious about not being marked on. Seriously can anyone think of a single intercept mark that's been taken on him in a 50/50 since he's come into the side?

I cant think of 1.

And in an era of intercept markers being so valuable, its really an incredible trait to have! And with the exception of the Crows, most teams don't seem to have cotton'd onto it yet, (and we only figured it out because JJ was so outrageously bad at it by comparison).

Learnt:
  • The defensive, dour game against Fremantle wasn't Ross Lyon's fault.
  • We have toughened our approach to the game. I like this. If we get the balance right between defence and scoring we might have a finals worthy game plan.
  • Despite AA and B&F etc... Talia is still underrated. Star.
  • Walker is playing a full team game.
  • Himmelberg is great. Does everything JJ can't do and suits our new game style.
  • Betts is a concern. Needs to be managed.
  • Love Murphy when he is manic in his pressure. The celebration after the chase down tackle in the goal square was great. Love a show of passion and celebration on a tackle.
  • Pyke isn't a one trick pony. I hope he keeps being ruthless and weeds out any player that won't fully commit to the new game plan (Atkins I'm looking at you).

Further to the voting above, Talia might be a bit stiff not to collect one and deserves an honorable mention.
Talia very stiff.

Interesting only 2 people had Laird in the votes but they both had him BOG.

Will be interesting to see how that compares to coaches votes but (taking into account the different voting system) but id expect Talia to leapfrog laird (probably sloane will too) and be around the same as Lynch

Last edited:
That’s what I reckon, they think Dixon returning is going to help, but that second ruck is going to be a hinderance to their forward line.
If they were smart, and Ryder or Lycett were capable they would go to the backline instead of forward.

They lack defensive height and have had to shoehorn Howard into a defender, when he is a natural forward.

They jumped into the idea winning centre breaks will win games under 666 so have invested heavily in that area. At the cost of a properly functioning forward line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Like the fact that Port are our genuine bunnies. Have won 8 of the last 10 Showdowns now.

Hate the fact that we couldn't slam 'em by over 10 goals, but understand why.

Keath, Murphy, Himmelberg, CEY continue to improve and impress. I wish I could say the same for Gallucci who is either being played out of position or is not up to it. Probably, a combination of both.

Learnt:
  • The defensive, dour game against Fremantle wasn't Ross Lyon's fault.
  • We have toughened our approach to the game. I like this. If we get the balance right between defence and scoring we might have a finals worthy game plan.
  • Despite AA and B&F etc... Talia is still underrated. Star.
  • Walker is playing a full team game.
  • Himmelberg is great. Does everything JJ can't do and suits our new game style.
  • Betts is a concern. Needs to be managed.
  • Love Murphy when he is manic in his pressure. The celebration after the chase down tackle in the goal square was great. Love a show of passion and celebration on a tackle.
  • Pyke isn't a one trick pony. I hope he keeps being ruthless and weeds out any player that won't fully commit to the new game plan (Atkins I'm looking at you).
I loved that Murphy celebration. I also loved that the team completely got around him and not the player (Knight?) that kicked the goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go.

Personally..

Liked: We played a full 4 quarters last week of tough, contested footy that isn't our plan "A" game wise and got the win. And we backed it up with 3 quarters and a little surge to get over the line this week of the same type of footy and we are in the 4 after a bad start to the year.

Hated : Every port player out there.

Learnt : We have one of the toughest draws going around. Going to be very hard to be top 4 with our draw.

Brisbane away
West Coast at home
Melbourne away
GWS at home
Richmond at home
Bye
Geelong away
Showdown again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home
West Coast away
Collingwood at home
Bulldogs away.

Pretty tough run for a team given we didn't make the finals last year.

🤔
Yet widely regarded as one of the easiest draws by most.
Admittedly past performance does not indicate future performances.

As an outsider i gotta say overall the crows are the most well positioned in every aspect atm.

On the field,

- haven't played as well as they can, yet sitting pretty at 3rd on the ladder.
- Sloane is back to his best
- ROB showing there's life after sauce
- Crouch brothers just going. Given the amount of football they've missed, it was always gonna take awhile for them to hit the levels of 17. Will improve.
- Milera and Seedsman to come back. Clean users that complement the hard workers.
- CEY and Murphy outta sight improvement
- Tex can and will get better.
- EH offering more than JJ
- i know he's older now but i think Gibbs can still play a part. Better that he's outta form now. That extra class rotation will come in handy on Gf day.

Biggest highlight this year has been the form of Keath. I was a few years older than him at school and that talent was always apparent. Yes, perhaps he should've switched codes earlier. But he had ambitions in cricket he wanted to check off and to play the sport professionally is still a fantastic achievement. To transition into full time Afl and in 20 games leading the race for AA full back....Wow. just wow.

Apart from all that you guy's just won the showdown, Carlton lost so that trade atm is Pick 1 for 16+19. Lol. I'd be walking around with an erection if i were in your shoes.

Given your position atm, anything less than a top 4 finish will be considered a failure. I'm still not convinced on Don, but i have confidence you can go all the way 'despite' of him.

You're all probably wondering why this oppo supporter is here. My club is just going atm, honestly they're doing alright all things considered. We won't be there at the pointy end but i expect the crows to be. Also got 250bucks @20-1 on you guys to go all the way. 😅 Nice holiday coming up when you salute in Sep. All the best.

p.s dmac aint that bad.

Last edited:
Biggest highlight this year has been the form of Keath. I was a few years older than him at school and that talent was always apparent. Yes, perhaps he should've switched codes earlier. But he had ambitions in cricket he wanted to check off and to play the sport professionally is still a fantastic achievement. To transition into full time Afl and in 20 games leading the race for AA full back....Wow. just wow.

I think giving cricket his best shot has been beneficial to Keath as he doesn't have any lingering "what if's" in the back of his mind and can give AFL his absolute 100%.

Also (just between you and me) praise for Dmac on this board might be construed as trolling by some of his more vocal critics (LOL, just kidding... just...)

Last edited:
One thing that is annoying me (and has for years) is Tex going one handed at marks.

He's obviously content to bring the ball to ground and tick off that part of his role. Going up one handed is sufficient to do this but at times he's in position where he could mark the ball.

Maybe they actually were the better team. They dominated the hitouts and clearances.

The fact they were never in the game and we coasted to the win then is damning on Ken and the coaching panel.
Yeah, na!

We were much cleaner handling the ball in the wet conditions & our defence setup a good wall for the vast majority of the game.

One thing that is annoying me (and has for years) is Tex going one handed at marks.

He's obviously content to bring the ball to ground and tick off that part of his role. Going up one handed is sufficient to do this but at times he's in position where he could mark the ball.
...and when he went two hands, he pushed it down the throat of 10goalTommy who goaled. Go two hands Tex!!

I rated Sloane's game higher.

I think giving cricket his best shot has been beneficial to Keath as he doesn't have any lingering "what if's" in the back of his mind and can give AFL his absolute 100%.

Also (just between you and me) praise for Dmac on this board might be construed as trolling by some of his more vocal critics (LOL, just kidding... just...)

Yup you're right on Keath. Crows did really well to Cat B rookie him while he was still playing pro cricket. Was a great show of faith that will hopefully be repaid in spades. At 27, and without a battered footy body, there's no reason why he cant give 5 years of fantastic service.

And just on Dmac, sometimes i think fans get a perception on someone early on, maybe he made some shocking mistakes when he started out, amplified more because he was surrounded by class players like Danger, Sloane, McCleod. Didn't help that RGray was picked in the draft after him either.
He's obv rated by teammates and coaches or no way he lasts 200 games. Just offers a lot that we can't see i guess. Saints fans have the same perception of Newnes. We all need a scapegoat when things go sour. And usually the first cab of the rank are those vanilla types.(that dont fight back)

I think it's because he can't jump high enough and needs the extra reach in the contest.

When he is on the lead or has front spot he usually uses his body to protect the ball, then goes both hands ALL the time.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

I’m still in the “hold fire” camp with Gallucci. Been underwhelming but I’ve seen too much good stuff in his short career to write him off.

But that said, needs to build into form soon - queue is growing to get in and will only get longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back