VFL 2019 VFL R6 vs Sandringham (Sun 12 May 2pm @ VICTORIA PARK)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Lynch get injured or something? If not, wow he was monstered. 71 hitouts to Longer vs 7....

Knocked out in 2nd Qtr.

Longer was playing against a Kid in his I think 3rd ever game he has ever played of Aussie Rules

We gave up eight shots on goal (6 behinds, 2 out on the full) after we hit the lead by 5 points. In the end I felt it was always a matter of whether Sandringham would beat us or whether the siren would beat Sandringham. We just couldn't clear half back, which was largely due to Sandringham pushing their defenders right up and us pushing numbers into their forward 50.

The main difference throughout the day was that their talls (Marsh, Longer and Rowe) have AFL standard bodies, whereas aside from Madgen and arguably Keane ours are barely VFL ready. Goldsack needs to play back.

Forgot about Toheill who was okay up Forward but Pretty Much Useless in the Ruck

Saw the brown brothers. Had a chat to Callum for a little bit. Nice guy.

And Dave, were you hanging around with Matt? If so, I was the girl chatting to him.

Yeah I was hanging out with Matty.

I thought that was you Jen

Jen, I didn’t think to look for you. I was near the interchange area for a bit of time, just to observe how the players were crafting their messages sans runners.

I think Dave was seen behind the interchange somewhere there.

Also quite a few patrons brought their dogs, some beauties too.

(An aside but Alan Richardson comes across as a really good guy. A few St Kilda supporters said hello and he was very open, said hi and interacted with some kids too. Those poor kids having been brought up for St Kilda. At least they deserve some niceness from their coach. Poor insipid St Kilda.)

Where you the guy who went up and talked to the Guy who had the Saint Bernard?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where you the guy who went up and talked to the Guy who had the Saint Bernard?
Not me alas, I just saw you from a distance.
But you are a legend.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
There wasn't much in it throughout the day, however in a low scoring encounter were we struggled to find forward targets the three quarter time margin looked enough and I thought we had no hope after they got the first of the last term. It was only in the last 5 minutes of the match where they were hugely inaccurate though with 6 straight behinds.

Game details via vfl.com.au

First time I've noticed Hustwaite today and thankfully it was through good play in the centre.

Yeah he can play - I thought he was a bit unlucky not to be rookied. Goes around a bit like Dunstan from Saints. Playing the Young Gun sereies as well.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Some observations. Notwithstanding my focus on our listed players.

Wells did wear different boots.
Wells played nicely.
My understanding is him and Nathan will discuss when he thinks he’s ready and selection will then be determined if merited or not. He’s getting close is my feeling. Moving nicely.

Daicos did ok, surprised me, but got into thereabouts.

Kelly looks part of the future but not physically strong enough just yet. But will fill out and does position well.

Sier is close. Every now and again he did those things that scream, level above VFL. Not to overly state it but say compared to Wills, Sier just has that class. You know you’re seeing a level to good for VFL. There was one backwards type handball, beautiful. Another was his passing to set up a goal.
Good driver in heavy traffic.
Seniors? Very close.

Alex Woodward, great shame about his knees. Looks a steady senior career that he’s essentially missed out on. Played well. Great roll model for work ethic.

Quaynor, got amongst it. Will play seniors. Still a bit away but he looks like he’s taking everything in. Looks very stout too. He’s issue is the strength of the players in the back area. Quite a few in front of him.

Crocker? I kind of like his personality and what he gives of him self. But at cross roads. Is he realistically going to have a long term senior career? Not sure he will.

Goldsack. He’s handy depth. Just too many in front of him. But always putting in.

Other observations:

Crowd spotting: Dave, Alan Richardson, Robert Harvey.

Thanks mate.

Suspect Beams comes back this week for Wills so the option for Sier closes for now. Brown is the other player he would be battling with but he is going to hold on until Adams back given game vs Carlton.

Greenwood I suspect they will persist with but is in a battle with Aish and Quaynor throughout the year.

Wells will be intriguing. Clearly class but its his ability to connect mids to fwds or within the fwds. Be interested in your view but thats an area of concern for mine. Daicos will be the same and hence why I would be playing him at some stage.

Crocker, Goldsack and Broomhead are all probably depth but unlikely.

Thanks Dave.

Those highlights showed a couple of lowlights for Keane, but I suppose that defenders are rarely going to look good in any highlights package. He really did do some good work yesterday.

Wells will be intriguing. Clearly class but its his ability to connect mids to fwds or within the fwds. Be interested in your view but thats an area of concern for mine. Daicos will be the same and hence why I would be playing him at some stage.

I suspect that Thomas may feel a bit of heat from Wells's presence in the VFL. To me the big thing in Wells's favour is that he'll make those around him better, whereas I think Thomas can be a bit selfish and get in other's way or just blaze away when there is a better option on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks mate.

Suspect Beams comes back this week for Wills so the option for Sier closes for now. Brown is the other player he would be battling with but he is going to hold on until Adams back given game vs Carlton.

Greenwood I suspect they will persist with but is in a battle with Aish and Quaynor throughout the year.

Crocker, Goldsack and Broomhead are all probably depth but unlikely.
Really good call.

I think Wells does something, when playing, no player on our list does as well. That beautiful passing. He even hand waves the forward to go to position. If he’s healthy, I’d love to see him with ball in hand forward of centre and set up Cox and De Goey and then Stephenson or the Elliotts (one with Hyphen one without).
Then I know we’ll be hard to toss.

I think Sier will need an extra bow to add to his game if possible. That way it will be Greenwood or Aish looking over their shoulder. Though Sier tracks as beast mid so can he track to half forward, unsure at this stage.
I’d still prefer a fit Sier to Brown myself but I can’t deny that Callum has risen to the challenge and playing solid football. But for mine, he’s still vulnerable.
Everything I hear about him is positive. He has an insatiable appetite to learn and do everything required to maximise his career. Apples falling from trees.

Daicos is an interesting watch as has talent but spots are scant these days.

Murphy is a player I’m keen to see develop and get fully fit. He’s the one, on size and looks like very skilful that could be a long term player.

Crocker, alas, might be on his last year. Great personality and was captain of Oakleigh so hes not without pluses but suspect just not quite there.

Broomhead, now the guy has talent. The neuter how he fits in long term. If he’s happy on lower scale wages he’s nice depth. This might sound crazy but he’s best mates with Grundy so if there are line ball calls between say him and Crocker I’m not against the tie breaker in keeping Brody happy.

Goldsack such a great servant of our club. Mr 1% does everything with spirit and zest. But he’s more back up than not these days.

Quaynor and Appelby add to our deeper back area depth so will get games at some stage but we are so solid these days they will need patience. Quaynor looks very strong so he’ll learn and likely be a constant in a few years.

I was pleasantly pleased with seeing Will Kelly yesterday. Gee, he’s tall, I can see why he dwarfs his dad.
Runs to position well I’d suggest, though needs that physical strength which will come as he matures.
Looked very focused.

I’m curious on your views of Tyler Brown? I’m told he’s the better of Browns boys.
Yet a junior coach I bumped into recently told me, Callum is actually the better Brown.
I’m curious now. Same guy told me a year ago never mind Lukosious it’s Sam Walsh that’s the beauty.

Lots of good talent out there.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suspect that Thomas may feel a bit of heat from Wells's presence in the VFL. To me the big thing in Wells's favour is that he'll make those around him better, whereas I think Thomas can be a bit selfish and get in other's way or just blaze away when there is a better option on.
Wells makes it look easy.

I’m an unabashed Wells fan.
Back in the day, I loved watching him play for North. Poetry.
Well except against us. (Secretly I internally clapped, we’ll sort of, when he cut us up one day.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really good call.

I think Wells does something, when playing, no player on our list does as well. That beautiful passing. He even hand waves the forward to go to position. If he’s healthy, I’d love to see him with ball in hand forward of centre and set up Cox and De Goey and then Stephenson or the Elliotts (one with Hyphen one without).

I think Sier will need an extra bow to add to his game if possible. That way it will be Greenwood or Aish looking over their shoulder. Though Sier tracks as beast mid so can he track to half forward, unsure at this stage.
I’d still prefer a fit Sier to Brown myself but I can’t deny that Callum has risen to the challenge and playing solid football. But for mine, he’s still vulnerable.
Everything I hear about him is positive. He has an insatiable appetite to learn and do everything required to maximise his career. Apples falling from trees.

Murphy is a player I’m keen to see develop and get fully fit. He’s the one, on size and looks like very skilful that could be a long term player.

Crocker, alas, might be on his last year. Great personality and was captain of Oakleigh so hes not without pluses but suspect just not quite there.

Broomhead, now the guy has talent. The neuter how he fits in long term. If he’s happy on lower scale wages he’s nice depth. This might sound crazy but he’s best mates with Grundy so if there are line ball calls between say him and Crocker I’m not against the tie breaker in keeping Brody happy.

Goldsack such a great servant of our club. Mr 1% does everything with spirit and zest. But he’s more back up than not these days.

Quaynor and Appelby add to our deeper back area depth so will get games at some stage but we are so solid these days they will need patience. Quaynor looks very strong so he’ll learn and likely be a constant in a few years.

I was pleasantly pleased with seeing Will Kelly yesterday. Gee, he’s tall, I can see why he dwarfs his dad.
Runs to position well I’d suggest, though needs that physical strength which will come as he matures.
Looked very focused.

I’m curious on your views of Tyler Brown? I’m told he’s the better of Browns boys.
Yet a junior coach I bumped into recently told me, Callum is actually the better Brown.
I’m curious now. Same guy told me a year ago never mind Lukosious it’s Sam Walsh that’s the beauty.

Callum was drafted higher than Tyler so i don't think its controversial to say he is the better player. Tyler hasn't really showed anything apart from a few "moments".

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really good call.

Looked very focused.

Re Broomhead v Crocker -- it's easy to forget that Broomhead has played 36 games and for a while was best 22. Clearly things have gone against him - injuries for starters -- and he's be passed by others. But I wouldn't hesitate to keep him over Crocker, who seems like a good guy but I don't think ever was best 22 and doesn't really have the same level of talent.

Tyler Brown played that excellent preseason game that meant someone -- was it Bucks? -- compared him to Fyfe. Obviously he's not Fyfe but still....

Excellent o hear about Kelly though -- we need some key position talent. Murphy strikes me as a flanker like Howe.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re Broomhead v Crocker -- it's easy to forget that Broomhead has played 36 games and for a while was best 22. Clearly things have gone against him - injuries for starters -- and he's be passed by others. But I wouldn't hesitate to keep him over Crocker, who seems like a good guy but I don't think ever was best 22 and doesn't really have the same level of talent.

Tyler Brown played that excellent preseason game that meant someone -- was it Bucks? -- compared him to Fyfe. Obviously he's not Fyfe but still....

Excellent o hear about Kelly though -- we need some key position talent. Murphy strikes me as a flanker like Howe.

At no point was Broomhead ever best 22 if we had a relatively healthy list. He was regularly dropped and highly inconsistent, 1 good game followed by 2 very quiet ones.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Callum was drafted higher than Tyler so i don't think its controversial to say he is the better player. Tyler hasn't really showed anything apart from a few "moments".
I was more referring to the brown boys junior time, that’s where the view was given.

Certainly at this stage, Callum is miles in front of Tyler.

What the future may bring.... be good to watch with interest.

I was more referring to the brown boys junior time, that’s where the view was given.

Certainly at this stage, Callum is miles in front of Tyler.

What the future may bring.... be good to watch with interest.
Tyler barely touched it in Under 18s, but he had the sexier attributes. We all thought Callum was a bit vanilla, his ability to dart into space is a new thing.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
At no point was Broomhead ever best 22 if we had a relatively healthy list. He was regularly dropped and highly inconsistent, 1 good game followed by 2 very quiet ones.

He played 11 games in 2015 before he got that shoulder injury didn't he (in round 12?)? I think he was best 22 that year. As I said, easy to forget.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tyler barely touched it in Under 18s, but he had the sexier attributes. We all thought Callum was a bit vanilla, his ability to dart into space is a new thing.
Every time I see the name Tyler I think of the US President John Tyler.
Was President from 1841 - 1845 and still has two grand children alive

That is so bizarrely amazing.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He averaged 14 touches and 0.6 goals for those 11 games, he certainly played but didn't play well at all.

Now you're changing the subject to whether he played well.

So did he play well? He was okay, not great (though that's not much off Thomas's averages this year). Good games and average games. But he was also 20-21 and playing HFF. He played the vast majority of the games he was eligible for (which was my point) before he was injured. He is also more talented than Crocker (my other point) and if I have to choose, I'd choose him hands down.

Are you a Crocker fan?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now you're changing the subject to whether he played well.

So did he play well? He was okay, not great (though that's not much off Thomas's averages this year). Good games and average games. But he was also 20-21 and playing HFF. He played the vast majority of the games he was eligible for (which was my point) before he was injured. He is also more talented than Crocker (my other point) and if I have to choose, I'd choose him hands down.

Are you a Crocker fan?

Well the topic was "was he best 22"... so whether or not he was playing well is kind of critical to the matter.. he played a decent stretch of games but was never cemented in the best 22. Broomhead is one of those players who gets better then longer he is injured.

No, Crocker is the most certain player on our whole list to get delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back