List Mgmt. Mid-season draft.

I think you go with the greatest need. For me its probably ruck depth but there isnt anything out there that works.

If a key back went down Reid would go back, Goldy could come up and Langdon and Howe have shown they can play taller. I cant see a tall defender in the pool that makes sense but like Knighta Murray was always a kid I rated but he has had his chances.

For me its probably a running back or forward. Lowson would be one, still like what Pickett brings and Pies were keen. Same goes for Mayo. A player I dont think we need but I know we tracked pretty hard was Declan Mountford. I know we were v keen on him at the time. Nothing more recently.

I don't think Ruck Depth is a Problem as in the AFL Side we have 4 Guys that could go into the Ruck

Not sure of what happened with Fev, but the relevant rule is that if a payment is made to a player it goes into the cap on the last year that he is listed, regardless of the timing of the payment ...

Every salary cap rule can be broken with the approval of the AFL. In Fev’s case, the AFL were sympathetic to Lions’ desire to pay Fev out immediately and get him off the books. That meant the Lions were allowed to breach their salary cap for that year, and then had their salary cap reduced by the equivalent amount the following year.

Mid-Season Rookie Draft: Who's having medicals and at what club

Callum Twomey, Mitch Cleary and Marc McGowan

AFL-mid-season-rookie-medicals.jpg

Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland), Sam Lowson (Coburg), and Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges) are all booked in for medicals

TWO former Roos and an ex-Cat are in line for AFL recalls just seven months after they were dumped by their respective clubs.
Mitch Hibberd, Declan Mountford and Cory Gregson headline a list of 22 hopefuls who will be put through a medical screening ahead of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft on May 27.
Each club could lodge up to three players before Wednesday's deadline for the medical screening, which will be held five days before the draft on May 22.

AFL.com.au understands clubs were asked to rank their list of players in order of priority and told that not every nomination was guaranteed a medical test.

Other ex-AFL players set for screenings include former Dockers Josh Deluca (Subiaco) and Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL).
Mature-age smokies include NT Thunder's Adam Tipungwuti, Coburg's Lochie Dickson and South Fremantle's Marlion Pickett.
Richmond is the club linked strongest to Pickett, while Collingwood showed interest ahead of last year's NAB AFL Draft.
Club medical staff will be invited to attend the testing day, however clubs have been advised they are unable to complete their own individual tests of players.
With 15 list spots currently available across the competition, it is understood a number of clubs will be more inclined to use the draft for future talent rather than ready-made players.
Clubs with one availability include Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Sydney and Western Bulldogs.
Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney both have two positions open to be filled.
It is understood Melbourne has previously tracked Gregson, who has returned to SANFL club Glenelg this year after he was cut following a four-year, 39-game stint.
NAB League players Mitch Riordan (Dandenong Stingrays), Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges) and Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland Power) fit that description and will receive assessments.
Overlooked at last year's National and Rookie drafts, the trio all impressed in last week's Young Guns series-opener at Trevor Barker Oval.
Dunkley is the son of former Sydney defender Andrew and brother of Western Bulldogs premiership player Josh and is being monitored by Sydney, Carlton, Gold Coast and Richmond.
While only a percentage of players from the 307 nominated for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be put through screenings, it doesn't rule out others from being selected.
Peel Thunder small defender Jarvis Pina has been catapulted into the WA Under-18 State squad in recent weeks, with multiple clubs showing interest including Fremantle and Sydney.
Clubs such as Fremantle which don't currently hold a pick in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft could yet open up a spot should they suffer a long-term injury or lose a player to retirement.

Mid-season rookie draft medical testing list

Ajang Ajang (East Perth)
Frank Anderson (Northern Blues)
Daly Andrews (Western Jets)
Ray Connellan (Essendon VFL)
Josh Deluca (Subiaco)
Lochlan Dickson (Coburg)
Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland)
Oliver Eastland (Claremont)
Cory Gregson (Glenelg)
Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL)
Mitch Hibberd (Williamstown)
Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges)
Lachlan Hosie (Glenelg)
Sam Lowson (Coburg)
Jack Mayo (Subiaco)
Declan Mountford (Claremont)
John Noble (West Adelaide)
Matt Nunn (Norwood)
Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle)
Jarvis Pina (Peel Thunder)
Mitch Riordan (Dandenong)
Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/midseason-rookie-draft-clubs-book-in-young-guns-for-medicals

*Richmond has joined the chase for lightning quick VFL forward Sam Lowson, with his VFL coach backing him to make an impact in the AFL this year.
Lowson had a handful of AFL clubs watching him live on the weekend and is set to meet with Richmond, Carlton and North Melbourne ahead of May 27’s mid-season draft.

Have heard a Richmond flag player will be announcing their retirement tomorrow which will allow another spot in the mid season draft.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Every salary cap rule can be broken with the approval of the AFL. In Fev’s case, the AFL were sympathetic to Lions’ desire to pay Fev out immediately and get him off the books. That meant the Lions were allowed to breach their salary cap for that year, and then had their salary cap reduced by the equivalent amount the following year.
Thanks - so the only benefit the Lions received was an extra list spot in the second year, ie. they could have left him on the list and paid him out in that year without him dirtying their doorstep?

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you go with the greatest need. For me its probably ruck depth but there isnt anything out there that works.

If a key back went down Reid would go back, Goldy could come up and Langdon and Howe have shown they can play taller. I cant see a tall defender in the pool that makes sense but like Knighta Murray was always a kid I rated but he has had his chances.

For me its probably a running back or forward. Lowson would be one, still like what Pickett brings and Pies were keen. Same goes for Mayo. A player I dont think we need but I know we tracked pretty hard was Declan Mountford. I know we were v keen on him at the time. Nothing more recently.
Kyle Dunkley interests me. Think he’ll be snapped up early though.

Thanks - so the only benefit the Lions received was an extra list spot in the second year,

The main benefit is that it cut the association. The Lions wanted Fev to have the freedom of being an idiot without the burden of “Current Brisbane Lions player” on his CV or risk of it appearing in a newspaper headline.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have heard a Richmond flag player will be announcing their retirement tomorrow which will allow another spot in the mid season draft.
Really Bad case of gastro?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Those players and their descriptions is a wonderful reminder of the thin thin line between a possible AFL career and just missing out.

I wonder about sliding doors, where a line ball call goes one way, and a talent misses out.

Then I think of Brody Mihocek who could so easily have missed a senior career, where today he is carrying himself as if he belongs in the environment and was an early starter (which he was not). Quite amazing how well he’s gone. Never ever thought he’d be this capable.

I’d guess the elite would be seen nearly always, and selected, but those who with a bit of development and be capable 150 game players of medium levels are never given the opportunity.

Mihocek was one who in his draft year was very nearly taken. He was just seen as too slow and too short to play KPP.

I'm planning a mid-season draft piece currently and only three of the 18 players I plan to mention I'm expecting get picked. The others are those kinds of stories like Mihocek where if they were picked by the right team - it's plug and play stuff. They're all AFL quality.

It seems clubs will go the youth route rather than the plug and play route for the most part which from my perspective I consider to be their loss with it being better to take someone you know is AFL quality.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure of what happened with Fev, but the relevant rule is that if a payment is made to a player it goes into the cap on the last year that he is listed, regardless of the timing of the payment. So if they paid Tippett an amount this Footy Year, but he wasnt on the list, it would go in the 18 cap. That is why Tippett was de-listed then rookie listed - so they could free up a primary list spot and a portion of his salary as a rookie is excluded from the 2019 cap.

Not sure your calcs on the % of cap jackcass - presume the retirement payout to Tippett would have been a negotiated amount reduced from the initial contract amount given he didn't fulfill the contract.

I'm only going on the article which cited "an undisclosed 7 figure sum" as his payout. Even at the bare minimum of 7 figure sums of $1m it equates to around 8% of TPC of $12.whatever million. A certain proportion of that would have already been allowed for as his 2019 salary as specified by his contract but anything over that will have will need to be absorbed.

Last edited:

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mihocek was one who in his draft year was very nearly taken. He was just seen as too slow and too short to play KPP.

I'm planning a mid-season draft piece currently and only three of the 18 players I plan to mention I'm expecting get picked. The others are those kinds of stories like Mihocek where if they were picked by the right team - it's plug and play stuff. They're all AFL quality.

It seems clubs will go the youth route rather than the plug and play route for the most part which from my perspective I consider to be their loss with it being better to take someone you know is AFL quality.
Bennell one to get picked?

Sadly I doubt they let Collingwood do that

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Bennell one to get picked?

He was good v SA in the WAFL v SANFL game on the weekend. 3 goals, 9 tackles and very lively in that first half.

The most probable selections are from the following (all of whom are receiving medicals):

Ajang Ajang (East Perth)

Frank Anderson (Northern Blues)

Daly Andrews (Western Jets)

Ray Connellan (Essendon VFL)

Josh Deluca (Subiaco)

Lochlan Dickson (Coburg)

Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland)

Oliver Eastland (Claremont)

Cory Gregson (Glenelg)

Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL)

Mitch Hibberd (Williamstown)

Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges)

Lachlan Hosie (Glenelg)

Sam Lowson (Coburg)

Jack Mayo (Subiaco)

Declan Mountford (Claremont)

John Noble (West Adelaide)

Matt Nunn (Norwood)

Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle)

Jarvis Pina (Peel Thunder)

Mitch Riordan (Dandenong)

Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder)

--
With Bennell not on that list, it's against the odds he gets picked. Though there has been some conversation around him as a possible.

Bennell is one I'd like to see what he can do in an AFL environment and would suit a club seeking another forward. He's probably not playing or playing consistent footy this year, but he's one with a year or two of development in the AFL system who with work can become something. Needs to continue building his endurance and improve his hands and consistency overhead. Very lively/dangerous though and can cause defenders headaches when he gets hot.

Ok let’s assume we have one pick at the mid draft, who would you take?

One pick for placing Dunn on the long term injury list.

This is everyone’s chance to play list manager.

Knightmare Snoop Dog Pie 4 Life
I like the look of Ben Kelly for the Bushies. Athletic tall defender who can ruck (similar to Lachie Keeffe. I dare say we will pick a mature-ager though and go with a Marlon Pickett. Wouldn’t be surprised if the player we were looking at from the WAFL last year was on our radar, whether that was Pickett, a Jack Mayo or someone else.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't care about player type. Just pick a sure fire superstar.
And if they play one game and don’t immediately look AA material, delist immediately.

I like the look of Ben Kelly for the Bushies. Athletic tall defender who can ruck (similar to Lachie Keeffe. I dare say we will pick a mature-ager though and go with a Marlon Pickett. Wouldn’t be surprised if the player we were looking at from the WAFL last year was on our radar, whether that was Pickett, a Jack Mayo or someone else.

as Long Pickett is still there

Back