Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

He provides more than Hall does on the wing. Trent gets it more and thus creates more opportunities.

Hall attracts too much attention and struggles to find space, Trent would probably be under the radar. Let's use that.

Tough for Hall, but I'd rather Trent there than him.

In what world wouldn't you?
Keep asking myself that question and struggling to answer it!

Season so far for both:
Screenshot_20190507-094229_AFL.jpg
Dumont matches him in intensity without ball, but beats him comprehensively with ball. The disposal discrepancy is staggering. The DE% is also in Dumont's favour. Not what I would like to see for Hall as a new recruit. Turnovers seem to be an issue for Hall as well, I hope his stint in the VFL has mitigated his issues.

For a recruit to be struggling against a player yet to reach full potential, Hall cannot just rely on pace. His game needs to improve quickly.

Dumont chooses to abide by his zone, rarely does he venture inside 50 unless absolutely necessary. Which I don't mind. But he does a wingers role well with better rebound 50 numbers.

Intercept possessions are incredibly in Dumont's favour which could be an issue for Hall. Trent can read opposition plays extremely well, something we will most likely need against Geelong.

Hall mostly puts his efforts into chasing and tackling which is fine as long as you can back that up with 20+ possies and score involvements. But Dumont matches him for that whilst getting more of it and using it better. Dumont has double the amount of SI. Whilst having less turnovers.

I can't see how Hall gets back in unless he sets the world on fire. But as long as Dumont plays well, it won't be easy.

In fairness to Hall, I don't think our set-up has really maximised his strengths. He is a more naturally direct attacking player than Frog is, who is more a "death by cuts" sort of offensive player.

No question Frog is the better player, but I still think Hall can be valuable in the right style of play.

K
Hall mostly puts his efforts into chasing and tackling which is fine as long as you can back that up with 20+ possies and score involvements.

I don't think Hall puts enough effort into chasing. He didn't against Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

has become a very solid player obviously, but i thought he used the ball very poorly yesterday, one of his worst games in that regard, certainly not one i would be using as an example of his good skills and decision making.

i think overall he has been worse this year. he has played 2 or 3 of his career worst games this season in my opinion. i know he has had to make some adjustments with his roles so hopefully he can settle back in.

i dont think he is travelling as hot as the above posts suggest, especially with regard to his ball use which was a highlight last year.

I'm not completely sold. We've highlighted his strengths and maybe pace doesn't hurt him too much, but his biggest problem is the lack of hurt factor with his disposals. 26 disposals @290 metres gained = 10 metres per possession. Hall's 20 at 382 is 19 per possession (Polec is 22 poss @434 metres gained). There's basically no difference in disposal efficiency.

I'm not going to say Hall has been all I'd hoped for - he was rightly dropped - but I'm looking for something more on the wing.

Yesterday was a bit of a blue for him I reckon, still a good player.

But he did make some costly mistakes.

If you're a one paced midfielder then you need to have serious smarts AND be able to execute very consistently.

............but you do need to be able to execute skills decently

In order to dribble a foot pass along the ground or handball to a blokes ankles.
Id love to know when they’re doing skills training, if the players are stuffing around doing these sorts of trick hand passes or kicks?

Because they all seem to do it when the pressures on.

Id love to know when they’re doing skills training, if the players are stuffing around doing these sorts of trick hand passes or kicks?

Because they all seem to do it when the pressures on.

With a 12 percent success rate!!!!

The only blokes in our side with decent deft kicking skills on our list are Tazz, Tarryn, Wright, Polec, LDU, Cunners and Bailey Scott.

The rest of them just can't do it.

With a 12 percent success rate!!!!

The only blokes in our side with decent deft kicking skills on our list are Tazz, Tarryn, Wright, Polec, LDU, Cunners and Bailey Scott.

The rest of them just can't do it.
id say most blokes in an AFL list are skilled enough to hit a target 9/10. But our kicking, hand balling, tackling all seem to go to s**t when teams applied a bit of pressure.

I’d hate to chuck in a cliche here but if you do the basics right under pressure the rest will look after it self.

Jesus Christ, he hardly deserves any criticism based on his output in 2019.... He is one of only a handful (Atley, Cunners ect) that has shown up on a consistent basis this season. Yes, his skills were down yesterday but at present we have no one who is even close to matching his work rate. He is averaging over 15km per game, and is often covering it at high speed (3.3km @ high speed in yesterdays game)

Across the season he is averaging 26.3 disposals @71% efficiency. 61% of those disposals have been in the defensive half meaning he is getting back and helping out the defense. Not only is he finding the footy, but he is averaging 21 pressure acts per game and 3 tackles per game.

Jesus Christ, he hardly deserves any criticism based on his output in 2019.... He is one of only a handful (Atley, Cunners ect) that has shown up on a consistent basis this season. Yes, his skills were down yesterday but at present we have no one who is even close to matching his work rate. He is averaging over 15km per game, and is often covering it at high speed (3.3km @ high speed in yesterdays game)

Across the season he is averaging 26.3 disposals @71% efficiency. 61% of those disposals have been in the defensive half meaning he is getting back and helping out the defense. Not only is he finding the footy, but he is averaging 21 pressure acts per game and 3 tackles per game.
I know this the Dumont thread but my input was certainly a generalisation across the list in general not singling out a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back