Autopsy Richmond d Freo Rd 8 2019

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
As said by others. Feeling flat after that non-performance. Fyfe a certainty to get week(s).

Backline was poor - Wilson, Langdon, BHill invisible, Colyer awful, Cerra and Brayshaw poor. Just bombing it in all game over and over. Out pressured and sucked into almost every contest leaving Richmond free on the outside to spread and use the ball cleanly.

We were comprehensively beaten all over the ground by a side missing a third of their B22 and only had two on the bench for the last half.

The upside is that we kept in it and didn't get blown away.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan's also had no real preseason to speak of. When did he join the full group proper, a week before the season started? Given that, he's going alright.

He’s also a key reason in Taberner kicking goals. Hasn’t had to worry about being the focal point. He’s doing more than just his own work

Becky2Belts

Senior List
May 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well we are. We will have good and bad days. To be honest yesterday was our first bad day at the office this year. Our players just played into the Tigers plan, over using the ball and rushed. Our forwards seemed to congegrate all together again... The midfield was a two man show with Lobb and Fyfe.
We are a rebuilding side, that's not what I questioned. We will have good days and bad days, what we do now is the difference.

If we're satisfied being a rebuilding side then yesterday was fine, these things happen. If we actually want to have some pride and make a crack at finals, then performances like yesterday are unacceptable and need to be major learning moments. The club seem very satisfied by being thereabouts.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/pe...er-collapsing-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881196995z

I saw this going on in block 117 or 118 in the last quarter. Hopefully he pulled through: they were working on him for a solid 20 minutes before they were able to move him out of the ground. They even evacuated the entire block of supporters with 5 minutes to go in the game and blocked off the walkway behind it after the siren.

Credit to the members of the public who performed CPR until the paramedics arrived.
This happened just over the way from us. That woman who performed CPR was a heroine. Good upon her and how happy I am to have read the man was saved.

It wasn't a good time for me and the team. Even though they lost I found myself feeling sorry for them. A surprising reaction, but as others have said, they were buggered before they started.

I wish they didn't have to play an exhausting brand of footy. I am longing to see them run free, playing some bruise free footy for a changeup.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought that a super disappointing performance.

Our backline were terrible. The ball was coming in clean and quick, which didn't help them, but that aside they were close on uncompetitive. We know they are better than that, so I guess we review and move on.

With Ryan and Wilson having bad games, and BHill and Langdon well beaten, we had no ability to move the ball. A new problem for the coaching panel.

We had no idea what to do with Richmond's spread. An old problem for the coaching panel.

Our forward line is dysfunctional. A very old problem for the coaching panel.

I have said this before - in Project Management you always start work early on tasks that are high risk or ill understood. It seems to me that our approach of building a backline and then a midfield and then thinking about the forwards is the exact opposite of this philosophy for us. There is definitely an argument that if your not getting the ball in the forwards can't do much, but we surely need to focus on the forward line now. We have no tactics, no structure and never ever try anything different.

By year end, I feel like the coaching panel need to show that they can make a reasonably functional forward line, and can find a way to play against Hawthorn, Brisbane and the Eagles. Address the biggest problems, and then concentrate on incremental improvement.
Such a sensible post

but! we got the impatienz

It's a long long road

Mundy Mundy

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was gutted after 2015 as well and have since made a conscious decision to try and keep it in perspective.

However I will still get annoyed when we put up such a poor performance against a very weak opposition at home with so much to play for.
It was only top 4.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
So, I was pretty gutted after coming home from the game last night. But on reflection I’m ok with that performance given Richmond was consistently pumping us by over ten goals a year ago.

Still HATE losing at home though.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So, I was pretty gutted after coming home from the game last night. But on reflection I’m ok with that performance given Richmond was consistently pumping us by over ten goals a year ago.

The Tigers really turned up to play. They brought fantastic pressure, got their slingshot revving again and nailed some really marginal goals. Whereas we fluffed a few gimme's both in the kicking at goals and what we're looking like formalities in the setups.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor

We would've beat them if it was at the MCG

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was going to put this in the Media thread, but it could be just as well placed here with the beating them at the MCG idea. It was just a point about the messaging and psychology with the team coming into the game.

I thought Lyon's messaging re the "ambush" line put the emphasis more on Richmond and their capabilities to do that, rather than on what Freo would actively take into the game.

A better message would've been to make Richmond more generic as part of the ability of any team to win on the day and that "we need to bring X and do Y to bring our A game". The ambush line became a big takeaway from that messaging and sent a more angsty message to Freo as a more passive party, hoping it wouldn't happen, but could've also fuelled Richmond's psychology that they could. Lyon also referenced the Port game, which would also added to the Tigers confidence.

In a similar vein, I think Alex Pearce's line about Lloyd's comments on Lynch placed too much emphasis on Lynch and instead better aimed at making him a generic "elite player, not a liability at all, shouldn't feel the need to justify himself and I need to keep on edge for all challenges, bring X and Y...".

Maybe neither of these had any real impact psychologically, but they seemed to be consistent with what actually happened on Sunday. Particularly in the opening salvos and then in the respective teams ongoing self-belief and vigour after the long break. I'm also thinking where I've heard a number of coaches say that what they say to the media is always thought of in terms of messaging to the players.

Back