Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the stats that have been thrown up etc this one is probably the one I feel means the most.
Probably means that we haven't recaptured the form from last year when our entire game evolved to be built off that running and pressure.

I guess maybe the argument could be made we have changed things so we aren't having to run as much maybe? With the way it's all setup, but I have a feeling that might be clutching at straws a bit.

I still think a lot of the issues fall on the players not the coaching staff. Then again there does come a point where it's on the coaches not getting the players into the mindset to win.

I think it also comes back to our game style a bit - we don't play possession footy like Collingwood does. Instead we still heavily lean on last years approach of trying to turn the ball over at the HBF and rebound through the center. As a result we spend much more time on defense then other teams do which reduces the average running speed.

The problem is we don't have a good possession footy game and I think this comes down to both personnel and coaching. On the coaching side this clearly isn't a style we can adapt to quickly.

On the personnel side we have two issues:
  1. Midfielder's who can take contested marks (height/build)
  2. Kicking efficiency
Compare our midfield kicking efficiency to Collingwoods for example:
  • 70%+ Pendles, Sidebottom, Mayne, Greenwood, Zaka
  • 65%+ Grundy, Mcgrath
  • 60%+ Merrett, Treloar Parish, Langford, Ham
  • 55%+ Beams, Heppell, Adams, Bellchambers
  • 50%+ Shiel, Myers, Phillips
  • <50% Smith

The problem for me is that it’s presented as a top 5 in a pair with top 5 attacking speeds for the same game.

The two sets of stats nearly always have opposite representation. The defensive running seems to be pretty much always a player chasing an attacking player in full sprint.

There are so many factors that would be affecting that stat that we can’t really adjust for in order to get much meaningful out of it, for example things like game plan- are the opponents deliberately playing a slow kick-mark attack? Most will not take us on in a shoot out coz they’ll lose. And when we are in shoot out mode they have to run hard to catch our mckennas and saads and fantasias, so they tend to go faster than we do in defence.

The guys that tend to rank consistently for defensive running speed are Heppell- nearly always him at around 9.1kmh if we have anyone in the top 5. Mutch features a few times, Langford features a few times and Guelfi, Merrett, Ambrose, McKenna, Smith occasionally too. Begley once. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else in there going back through 2018 data and we rarely go over 9.2 in any case. Those names seem to be our fastest midfielders, but even then there are guys in the league that hit 10kph for this stat some weeks.

It’s most likely also dependent on match ups. We wouldn’t waste a quick defensive mid on a slow offensive mid in a match up most of the time, so it’s more likely to be the same guys each week posting high speeds.

Unusual start given the speed we have off half back, guess a couple of the big fellas drag the average down.
Even when we were smashing North they were still moving the ball between the arcs with ease, this is on the midfield.

Generally I'm pretty level headed and optimistic about these sort of things, but if we don't bounce back over the next month and win 3 of the next 4 before heading to Perth, he's gotta go.

Still hasn't won anything with the reds yet.
No, but look at what he’s brought to that club without oil money. His enthusiasm and personality are infectious and he has driven a complete overhaul in a culture based on fan engagement and entertaining football without losing sight of the priority of winning games of football. He’s a revelation over there and I’d love someone of his ilk driving us forward. One loss for the season. Third highest points scored in league history. CL final to come. And they were tenth when he arrived at the club.

My fear if we went down the path of getting Clarkson would be, as is usual with our fanbase, that the expectation would be that everything just clicks straight away.

Part of why he's been so successful at Hawthorn is that he has moulded an entire list in the image he wants. If he comes into Essendon he needs to start that process from afresh and that will mean, probably, pain for a while. I don't think our fanbase has the patience for that because the appointment would be made with some of the messiah stench attached to it.

While he is quite evidently the best coach in the game, it's folly to assume some mysterious alchemy kicks in if that coach transfers to another club straight away.

You can imagine it though. In a hypothetical world where Clarkson is our coach next year, and we start the year 2-3, and our grizzled fans moaning about THIS ******* HAWTHORNE IMPORT!!!
Well, Beveridge, Hardwick and Simpson all did their apprenticeships under Clarkson and so the last 6 premierships have been won by Clarkson or his apprentices. It’s an amazing record.

"Hi John, when out to dinner and the restaurant don't have your normal meal, do you just go hungry or do you have a second idea of what you may want to eat?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it is he has to adjust a few things. I hear his player pecking order and a few other issues are causing some friction with the two boys who where left out of the leadership group. Also I know he is big on not changing a lot while we are "learning" but they really ****ed up the selection last week despite the injury issues.
There is no way Francis should have played as a forward. I have been big on keeping the back 6 in tact but Frang is not in good enough form right now top be playing forward. Hooker should have gone forward from the start and Francis played back or Hartley into the side.
The Ham selection did not work but I do not have as much of an issue with that as he had some form and was not horrible in his first game.

There are a few issues out of his control but he has to start bending a little and also start leaving out a few old favourites if some of the younger brigade are putting together some good VFL form. Also has to make an example st some stage with those who keep leaving holes in the team defence.

Still hasn't won anything with the reds yet.
He inspires and that's alot more than what Woosh does. Which is sad. Woosh made me feel proud to watch Eagles when he was played even though I hated them.eg. Ironing out Gablett Snr in both GF 92 & 94. That was fantastic! But to coach our group.... he can't do it. If he inspires into our group 1/10 of the way he played, we won't have to talk finals, we would already know we are there.
Until then throw the kitchen sink at Klopp or dream of finals...that's wishful thinking.

It's literally the same conversation as last year.

Seriously think we have both the thickest group of footballers in the league and the most inflexible coach in the league.

A recipe for success!
It's damning on Dodoro that we are regarded as the team that conducts the strangest draftee interviews and yet when it comes to player psychology we seem to select the wrong types.

My take is he'll just trot out the same ********* about 'playing the way we want to play etc...'

Watching it will make me want to spew.

Only Al Clarkson ha
He inspires and that's alot more than what Woosh does. Which is sad. Woosh made me feel proud to watch Eagles when he was played even though I hated them.eg. Ironing out Gablett Snr in both GF 92 & 94. That was fantastic! But to coach our group.... he can't do it. If he inspires into our group 1/10 of the way he played, we won't have to talk finals, we would already know we are there.
Until then throw the kitchen sink at Klopp or dream of finals...that's wishful thinking.

Errr not sure I needed to be quoted but assume you’re just using it to continue the convo.

But reality is the Klopp is inches either side of brilliant motivator/technician/manager versus sacked has no idea coach. He was 0-3 against Barcelona, pulled off a miraculous victory but 1 fumble from his goalkeeper could have ended it differently AND he still needs the victory against Tottenham to make the dream complete otherwise it’s 2 CL finals losses in a row. IF this transpires and IF he finished out of top 4 next year in EPL Liverpool would sack him? You only have to go back to Benitez days.

Back to AFL - don Pyke with crows was seen to be the answer at Crows but now is deemed as the passenger of the late Phil Walsh’s hard work. Like beveridge was seen as a massive motivator of the Bulldogs but now?

You then have bomber at cats, Hardwick at tigers and Buckley at pies who almost lost their jobs through fierce criticism but are now deemed super coaches???

I’m not backing Worsfold BTW he lost me on Friday night. This was make or break year for me and I’m now broken. Last year was forgivable but not forgotten but I hope the club doesn’t go down the path of twice bitten 3 times the fool for another wasted year next year.

It's damning on Dodoro that we are regarded as the team that conducts the strangest draftee interviews and yet when it comes to player psychology we seem to select the wrong types.

Really?

What the * do they think they are doing down there? It's a footy club not a ******* variety show!
The whole joint needs a big * off broom!

It's literally the same conversation as last year.

Seriously think we have both the thickest group of footballers in the league and the most inflexible coach in the league.

A recipe for success!

I agree but we also have Dumbest coaches as well. If we lowered our eyes more often then not entering our forward line we’d present more opportunities for set shots at goal (which they’d miss because none of them practice anymore).. but instead the coaching staff instruct them to stick with the team plan and bang it in high and long. Seriously we should have opened up the forward line to Raz on Friday when he was on fire with Hooker the only other marking option. But we banged in in long and got picked off every time, like we do week in week out with different personal the last 3 years. So to back my point - dumb coaching because if the players are suppose to be lowering their eyes instead of bombing it, any half witted selection committee would not be playing those players again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back