Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps looking a little deep here, but I find it encouraging that the local State Member for Wendouree (Julianna Addison) was hosting the State Treasurer (Tim Pallas) two weeks before the State Budget at the game:

59850257_395540257843355_6069447224914345984_o.jpg

Perhaps looking a little deep here, but I find it encouraging that the local State Member for Wendouree (Julianna Addison) was hosting the State Treasurer (Tim Pallas) two weeks before the State Budget at the game:

View attachment 673265

Knew Julianna pre-politics, very dedicated teacher. She’ll do well, great with people of all ages.

Have enjoyed my 2 trips to Ballarat, but didn't get there on Sunday. Good to hear the Lions weren't happy going there.

I don't want opposition teams being happy going there. No-one is happy going to Launceston either and the hawks have an awesome record there.

I want us to have a Hawthorn type record at Mars eventually.

I also laugh when I hear opposition supporters going to Willy, my other home.

Half of them are beaten before they get there.

Have enjoyed my 2 trips to Ballarat, but didn't get there on Sunday. Good to hear the Lions weren't happy going there.

I don't want opposition teams being happy going there. No-one is happy going to Launceston either and the hawks have an awesome record there.

I want us to have a Hawthorn type record at Mars eventually.

I also laugh when I hear opposition supporters going to Willy, my other home.

Half of them are beaten before they get there.
It's funny, back in the old days before the Mars Stadium arena (Built 1991) and when the original Ballarat Showgrounds trotting track (Circa 1951-1990) was there, the North Ballarat Roosters used to play on an oval in the middle of the old trotting arena. To describe that as an Oval was actually a bit of a stretch. It was effectively a paddock that was mowed to look like an oval with goal posts at either end. It was cold, open, a mud pit across the surface and the winds used to howl through there. It's the ground that Tony Lockett and Michael Malthouse cut their teeth on. There was no protection for spectators or players from either the wind or constant chilly drizzle and showers that Ballarat is famous for. Only North Ballarat could play on it and everybody else (including the spectators) hated it.

Ohh the good old days :think:

More people should consider using the train to Ballarat for our Mars Stadium games. Very relaxing way to travel and it can be a quicker way to get there and back.

Recently, me clan went to Ballarat. They got the train at Footscray. At the same time friends left Seddon to drive to the same address in Ballarat where they were meeting. My lot beat them there by 20 minutes. Going home they left at the same time, again my lot on the train back home about half an hour earlier.

More people should consider using the train to Ballarat for our Mars Stadium games. Very relaxing way to travel and it can be a quicker way to get there and back.

Recently, me clan went to Ballarat. They got the train at Footscray. At the same time friends left Seddon to drive to the same address in Ballarat where they were meeting. My lot beat them there by 20 minutes. Going home they left at the same time, again my lot on the train back home about half an hour earlier.
Though I am not a supporter of the Ballarat experiment, I will always support the dogs so if the game is not on a Saturday afternoon, will and have gone to Ballarat.

Going by train is easy and relaxing. It does expose how little has been spent on rail infrastructure by multiple state government over the years with long stretches of single track to a major population centre, but this does not take away from it being relaxing.

It is also a part of the catch 22. As well as the stadium being to small to achieve any of the stated goals,ie anything other than money, it surely would not have cost to much to update the spur on the rail line to just outside the ground.

Apart from the first game I have travelled by train for all the other games (3). It is a comfortable journey.

FROM THE BALLARAT COURIER: Two weeks ago.

Western Bulldogs' plan to keep game in Ballarat
Melanie Whelan

r0_0_4501_3117_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LOUD BARK: Young Western Bulldogs fans Jamison and Braxton get cheering for the club's AFL practice match against St Kilda at Mars Stadium in March. Picture: Adam Trafford.

WESTERN Bulldogs will not be drawn on playing AFL premiership matches in Ballarat beyond 2021 amid a bold push to bring AFL back to the club's spiritual home in Footscray.
In a completed $150 million master plan for Whitten Oval, released on Thursday, Bulldogs' chief Ameet Bains said there was potential for "heritage" games at the ground in the long-term, given the number of AFL boutique stadiums already in play.

A $150 million full redevelopment, made in stages, would include convert the ground into an 18,000-seat venue likely to suit low crowd-drawing interstate rivals. Mars Stadium in Ballarat has a capacity for 16,000 fans. Mr Bains, in a statement, said the club's immediate focus for the ground was to ensure Whitten Oval stays a key AFLW venue. This stage is likely to cost about $40 million and be underpinned by the club's sale of two pokie venues.

Time needed to make this a reality offers Ballarat breathing space. The Bulldogs have reiterated the partnership with Ballarat and western Victoria remained a long-term strategic focus. This includes Bulldogs-led community development programs in Ballarat, independent of the possibility the Bulldogs might play AFL at Whitten Oval in the future. City of Ballarat remains confident the Bulldogs are fully committed to to a long-term partnership with the region. The City's community development director Neville Ivey said there was no intention for any changes to the ongoing agreement to play AFL games in Ballarat. "We understand the primary Whitten Oval redevelopment focus is for events other than AFL as part of its ongoing commitment to the local community as the Whitten Oval becomes the community hub for the west," Mr Ivey said. "...City of Ballarat (also) continues to advocate for AFLW matches given the success of the last two years where AFLW practice matches have been successfully hosted at Mars Stadium."

Mr Ivey said the City was working with the state government to improve fan facilities at Mars Stadium, which has a capacity of 16,000. Premier Daniel Andrews made a $6.6 million promise to upgrades in last year's election race.

Victoria Sport Minister Martin Pakula also remained confident in the partnership. "I'm in constant dialogue with the Bulldogs and the club has assured me of its commitment to Ballarat," Minister Pakula said. "The Andrews Labor Government has delivered more than $38 million to redevelop the Eureka Sports Precinct and committed a further $11.8 million to transform the precinct and help to bring more major sporting events to Ballarat, including AFL and AFLW games."

The last AFL match played at Whitten Oval, formerly known as Western Oval, was in August 1997. Included in the $150 million plans is the potential for residential development and enhanced community facilities on adjoining land gifted to the club last year.

Melanie Whelan

LOUD BARK: Young Western Bulldogs fans Jamison and Braxton get cheering for the club's AFL practice match against St Kilda at Mars Stadium in March. Picture: Adam Trafford.

WESTERN Bulldogs will not be drawn on playing AFL premiership matches in Ballarat beyond 2021 amid a bold push to bring AFL back to the club's spiritual home in Footscray.
In a completed $150 million master plan for Whitten Oval, released on Thursday, Bulldogs' chief Ameet Bains said there was potential for "heritage" games at the ground in the long-term, given the number of AFL boutique stadiums already in play.

A $150 million full redevelopment, made in stages, would include convert the ground into an 18,000-seat venue likely to suit low crowd-drawing interstate rivals. Mars Stadium in Ballarat has a capacity for 16,000 fans. Mr Bains, in a statement, said the club's immediate focus for the ground was to ensure Whitten Oval stays a key AFLW venue. This stage is likely to cost about $40 million and be underpinned by the club's sale of two pokie venues.

Time needed to make this a reality offers Ballarat breathing space. The Bulldogs have reiterated the partnership with Ballarat and western Victoria remained a long-term strategic focus. This includes Bulldogs-led community development programs in Ballarat, independent of the possibility the Bulldogs might play AFL at Whitten Oval in the future. City of Ballarat remains confident the Bulldogs are fully committed to to a long-term partnership with the region. The City's community development director Neville Ivey said there was no intention for any changes to the ongoing agreement to play AFL games in Ballarat. "We understand the primary Whitten Oval redevelopment focus is for events other than AFL as part of its ongoing commitment to the local community as the Whitten Oval becomes the community hub for the west," Mr Ivey said. "...City of Ballarat (also) continues to advocate for AFLW matches given the success of the last two years where AFLW practice matches have been successfully hosted at Mars Stadium."

Mr Ivey said the City was working with the state government to improve fan facilities at Mars Stadium, which has a capacity of 16,000. Premier Daniel Andrews made a $6.6 million promise to upgrades in last year's election race.

Victoria Sport Minister Martin Pakula also remained confident in the partnership. "I'm in constant dialogue with the Bulldogs and the club has assured me of its commitment to Ballarat," Minister Pakula said. "The Andrews Labor Government has delivered more than $38 million to redevelop the Eureka Sports Precinct and committed a further $11.8 million to transform the precinct and help to bring more major sporting events to Ballarat, including AFL and AFLW games."

The last AFL match played at Whitten Oval, formerly known as Western Oval, was in August 1997. Included in the $150 million plans is the potential for residential development and enhanced community facilities on adjoining land gifted to the club last year.
I think we stick with the two games there, play one or two at Whitten Oval and then the remaining 7 or 8 at Marvel. Good mix, assuming we start playing Mars Stadium better.

I think we stick with the two games there, play one or two at Whitten Oval and then the remaining 7 or 8 at Marvel. Good mix, assuming we start playing Mars Stadium better.
It takes time, particularly as a rapport is built with the community the Dogs will develop a sense of it being their territory. I just do'nt know whether the Club is quite there yet and of course whether the football community in Ballarat fully convinced that the Dogs are there for the long haul. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Melanie Whelan

Currently Ballarat has a 11,000 capacity if that and a 5,000 seating capacity. Only an upgrade will take it to 16,00₩

Currently Ballarat has a 11,000 capacity if that and a 5,000 seating capacity. Only an upgrade will take it to 16,00₩
I reckon the guy got confused, as men do ;)

My undrstanding is that 16,000 is the cacity that the Council are planning for with the next major stage of development.

I reckon the guy got confused, as men do ;)

My undrstanding is that 16,000 is the cacity that the Council are planning for with the next major stage of development.
I believe that is true to but if the error was not made the WO development is 7,000 more in total and 12,000 seats more.

It would show the small capacity will always severly restrict any ability to generate additional support by playing regular season games at Ballarat on just capacity alone making the article inaccurate fluff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like 90% of the stuff put out about this venture it’s complete and utter tripe.

Spin spin by all and sundry to make this look better than it is. A total of 16000 capacity is still far less than a decent crowd and I can’t understand why any government would even consider ab upgrade with us not being able to fill the place with its current capacity. Money down the drain.

I believe that is true to but if the error was not made the WO development is 7,000 more in total and 12,000 seats more.

It would show the small capacity will always severly restrict any ability to generate additional support by playing regular season games at Ballarat on just capacity alone making the article inaccurate fluff
I think that the WO development is necessary in order to combat or to counter-balance the Western United's massive influence that they will have once they consolidate in the West of Melbourne. They will already garner support from the huge pool of new Asian migrants settling in that area which is something that AFL cannot capture. But at least the WO development offers growth and accessibility of Aussie Rules to women. The new facilities when built will offer a revitalised hub for AFL to the Western suburbs.

Of course the elephant in the room is the question of "who funds the ongoing maintenance and operation of the redeveloped WO sports hub?" It's an expensive undertaking and one which will not receive a brass razzoo of financial support from the AFL or likely much from the WBFC beyond maintaining their own immediate facilities. The short answer is that the local ratepayers around Footscray will foot the bills, as do the rate payers of Ballarat for Mars. Remember that the AFL don't put any money into stadiums except the MCG, Marvel, and Metricon.

I don't believe that the Ballarat endeavour is necessarily about accommodating Melbourne based supporters over the long run but about growing membership beyond outer Melbourne. They will never build a stadium bigger than 16-20,000 capacity for a mere two H&A season games per year in any regional city. Hobart, Launceston, and Canberra don't offer venues that seat anything greater than 13,500 simply because it does'nt make economic sense from an ongoing maintenance and local usage POV. Each of those venues still have significant standing areas and I would envisage Mars Stadium may well end up seating around 10-12,000 with expanded semi-covered standing areas for another several thousand. But that's some years away. The government won't announce further expansion of the ground unless there is a political motive, e.g. an election (not for another three years Federally or State), or unless there's a bi-election in Ballarat (unlikely). The only other driver would be if the Western Bulldogs put the screws on the government and Council in twelve months time stating that any commitment beyond 2021 is conditional on expansion of the ground. And that would'nt be an unreasonable demand on their part either.

Personally I believe that Mars Stadium must be consolidated beyond just AFL. Significant future development must involve a major upgrading of the stadium's lights and PT access. Not just to accommodate AFL football but an array of other potential sports. The new Western United Soccer Club are currently in negotiations for Mars Stadium to be used to host five home games for approx 2-3 seasons (from next year) while their new home stadium is being built at Tarniet. The Melbourne Reds Rugby Union team are keen to utilise the ground for pre-season games, and longer term the Ballarat Council are expressing a keen interest in the ground being used for BBL games during summer.

Ballarat has resigned itself to the truth that the VFL and Cannel 7 are not interested in non-AFL team aligned clubs and therefore it's only a matter of time before the Frankston Dolphins, Werribee and Williamstown are given the arse from the VFL too. So it's likely that the ground will never be used for VFL again despite Stage 1 being specifically designed to support that. Interesting times. :think:

Last edited:

On the subject of ground capacities, is 18,000 enough for a Melbourne based game? Few if any games in Melbourne get under 25,000 and an 18,000 capacity WO would mean that the Club would have to impose the same financial restrictions or premiums on members eager to go to a WO game as they do for Ballarat. In fact the premium to payed would likely have to be much higher in order to temper the demand. Would supporters or members be prepared to support that? Would members be prepared to pay perhaps a $100-200 premium on top of their membership to secure a reserved place at WO games? You could bet your left 'whatsit' that that is exactly what would happen. The club would be happy because they'd make a killing on it, but would members who are already grumbling about the Ballarat premium be happy paying more again?

It's food for thought. :think:

Is paid a lot more money to watch a game of footy at WO than i would to travel to that frozen hole of a joint and I’d bet my a$$ at least 18000 members would also.

But the 3-4000 members that go to Ballarat says heaps. Tells us 90% of members have zero interest in going to Ballarat

The AFL tried to move the game from Ballarat to Marvel for CH7 knowing people might tune in more for the make up of the eight but the City of Ballarat denied them contractually . So they are stuck with 1pms due to poor lighting.

Bad luck. The AFL were dumb enough to schedule the second game in the last round that is thier fault. The second Ballarat game should have been vs Fremantle just gone by. They should be listening to schedule feedback.

I just find it funny is all.

This dud deal just gets worse every day

We may now have a game to fight for the 8 and hardly anyone will be able to go

Literally cannot stand this deal there is not one positive thing about it

Sorry BB but it doesn’t help us in anyway mate

The AFL tried to move the game from Ballarat to Marvel for CH7 knowing people might tune in more for the make up of the eight but the City of Ballarat denied them contractually . So they are stuck with 1pms due to poor lighting.

Bad luck. The AFL were dumb enough to schedule the second game in the last round that is thier fault. The second Ballarat game should have been vs Fremantle just gone by. They should be listening to schedule feedback.

Pretty sure they were scheduled on feedback that the games should either be early or late in the season, to avoid the middle of winter.

No we and we alone are at fault. The AFL did not sign up to the deal, we did.

We agreed to sell 2 home and away games to Ballarat for money to a facility that holds 11,000 max 5,000 seating in a region known for being slightly colder just over an hour from our home ground.

Other than money or other financial kickbacks there was never going to be anything in this deal to grow our supporter base, it wont by anything significant, that would not put out the vast majority of our supporter base. The facility, and its location is seriously inadequate for AFL home and away games.

If we did not have this deal, the game would be at Marvel and potentially 35,000 people will not be locked out of a home game in Victoria.

How sad it is that to save massive backlash we need to stink up the next 3 weeks.

We agreed to sell 2 home and away games to Ballarat for money to a facility that holds 11,000 max 5,000 seating in a region known for being slightly colder just over an hour from our home ground.

Other than money or other financial kickbacks there was never going to be anything in this deal to grow our supporter base, it wont by anything significant, that would not put out the vast majority of our supporter base. The facility, and its location is seriously inadequate for AFL home and away games.

If we did not have this deal, the game would be at Marvel and potentially 35,000 people will not be locked out of a home game in Victoria.

How sad it is that to save massive backlash we need to stink up the next 3 weeks.
That seems a bit unfair. Sure the club signed the deal but the AFL determine the fixture. Could’ve been played in a different round for example.

The alternative is Cairns not Marvel FYI.

One of the worst deal the club has ever signed.

No upside other than a cash handout.

No one can still explain to me the long term positives of this deal other than Ballarat expecting more games WHICH IS NOT A POSITIVE. If we must continue to go do it once early in the year against the Suns and get it over with.

When we agree to play in games like this how can we then turn around and be p!ssed at the AFL for giving us a sh!t fixture when these two games add to the crappiness of the thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back