Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
Or alternatively, he went up the goal post to improve his ability to spoil the ball on the goal line.

Seriously, it’s not that hard to understand. It was stupid and unnecessary, no question, but for once the umpires actually ruled practically and appropriately. But you seem too invested in hating on Rampe to care about that.
When the coach asks after the game if there was anything more you could have done to try to win the game, Rampe can honestly answer "No".

I agree about the bias Ted and If I could have jumped through my Television Saturday night Hamish was right in line for one on the Vera Lynn. Having said that could somebody tell Rampe what is ok in the Under 11's doesn't quite wash at this Level. Ratbag.
Yeah WW but thank god he is our rat bag. It's not like he actually hurt anyone climbing the stick.
His girl comment to the umpire was wrong but I took it that he meant the umpire had a soft voice.
If not what he meant then way out of line but the guy needs a break. He's our player so we back him going forward.

That rat Toby Greene is idolised by these same idiots for sticking his boot studs in unsuspecting players' faces, rule gets made after the fact. Ramps climbs a post, no such rule to say you can't & he didn't intentionally shake the post, which is the actual rule.
Ramps getting crucified IMO but I could be way wrong.

I wonder what Timmy Watson had to say about that one ...

He chuckled of course.

Ramps defence is he is undersized Backman. He scaled the post to get a view.

Yeah WW but thank god he is our rat bag. It's not like he actually hurt anyone climbing the stick.
His girl comment to the umpire was wrong but I took it that he meant the umpire had a soft voice.
If not what he meant then way out of line but the guy needs a break. He's our player so we back him going forward.

That rat Toby Greene is idolised by these same idiots for sticking his boot studs in unsuspecting players' faces, rule gets made after the fact. Ramps climbs a post, no such rule to say you can't & he didn't intentionally shake the post, which is the actual rule.

Who gives a damn what melbourne media think or say. "You talk like a little girl" is a comment because the umpire failed to communicate loudly enough "play on". All players have a right to expect decisions are communicated loudly enough to hear otherwise the game descends into chaos. Is it offensive? No. Rather it's a lesson for the umpire IMO.

As for climbing the post. Game umpired and over. Decisions all made including telling him to get down. Nothing to talk about.

It's just fortunate that the umpire who talks like a little girl didn't ask him to get down or he might have been half way to china.

In a trading shock, Circus Oz has made a massive offer for Sir Dane. They famously employ a no animals policy, so Pies, Norf and Dopers are not allowed.

They want Sir Dane to do the Indian Rope Trick, the High Wire acts, Houdin acts involving chains and his ability to make Oppo forwards disappear. Apparently they are also interested in Sir Dane doing 'front of house.

Given Circus Oz's famous Republican stance, they do want him to drop the knighthood.

Last edited:

He could have cost us the four points for the game. And on a strict interpretation of the rules probably should have. I guess you are speaking for yourself when you say he is "our" rat bag. He certainly isn't mine. I don't like having rat bags as captains. Our club deserves better than having one as a captain. He should be stripped of the captaincy over the "little girl' comment. Longmire's arrogant response dismissing the thing after the game was also lazy and poor. Anyway your rat bag is facing a $10,000 fine. I offered to chip in 200 Philippine pesos to help the zany skipper. Wonder how many here will be putting their lazy Australian dollars where the skipper's mouth is?

In a trading shock, Circus Oz has made a massive offer for Sir Dane. They famously employ a no animals policy, so Pies, Norf and Dopers are not allowed.

They want Sir Dane to do the Indian Rope Trick, the High Wire acts, Houdin acts involving chains and his ability to make Oppo forwards disappear. Apparently they are also interested in Sir Dane doing 'front of house.

Given Circus Oz's famous Republican stance, they do want him to drop the knighthood.
Good points. Except he would be the clown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a damn what melbourne media think or say. "You talk like a little girl" is a comment because the umpire failed to communicate loudly enough "play on". All players have a right to expect decisions are communicated loudly enough to hear otherwise the game descends into chaos. Is it offensive? No. Rather it's a lesson for the umpire IMO.

As for climbing the post. Game umpired and over. Decisions all made including telling him to get down. Nothing to talk about.

It's just fortunate that the umpire who talks like a little girl didn't ask him to get down or he might have been half way to china.
Mate its all over the Sydney media. Good move by the skipper. We are struggling to win a game, crowds are down, women's and girls AFL is all the go and idiot makes a derogarotory sexist comment to an umpire. Way to go

Mate its all over the Sydney media. Good move by the skipper. We are struggling to win a game, crowds are down, women's and girls AFL is all the go and idiot makes a derogarotory sexist comment to an umpire. Way to go

It was ill judged but accept he was not being derogatory. He simply could not hear the ump.

It was ill judged but accept he was not being derogatory. He simply could not hear the ump.
Mate I am a 70 year old clapped out old South supporter. Its what the mothers of little girls who are wanting to play and follow AFL in Sydney think. I guess they are not impressed with our hero and as he is captain by association the club. The club should have quickly made an apology and supported Rampe instead of that excruciating so called apology he stammered out. Not a good show for the club.

Mate I am a 70 year old clapped out old South supporter. Its what the mothers of little girls who are wanting to play and follow AFL in Sydney think. I guess they are not impressed with our hero and as he is captain by association the club. The club should have quickly made an apology and supported Rampe instead of that excruciating so called apology he stammered out. Not a good show for the club.

Fair point. We want every kid to play and love the game.

He could have cost us the four points for the game. And on a strict interpretation of the rules probably should have. I guess you are speaking for yourself when you say he is "our" rat bag. He certainly isn't mine. I don't like having rat bags as captains. Our club deserves better than having one as a captain. He should be stripped of the captaincy over the "little girl' comment. Longmire's arrogant response dismissing the thing after the game was also lazy and poor. Anyway your rat bag is facing a $10,000 fine. I offered to chip in 200 Philippine pesos to help the zany skipper. Wonder how many here will be putting their lazy Australian dollars where the skipper's mouth is?

Ok connolly here goes, as I respect what you have said but here's how I feel after so long watching this biased crap of a manufactured competition.

So there was a point in the game where we played on from the kick out & the ball ran untouched over the boundary, INCORRECTLY one the those people with very quiet voices paid a free kick for OOF, which I repeat, is incorrect, giving the ball, INCORRECTLY back to the Bombers which in turn went forward for a goal. Decision made, game over, we don't get back the benefit of a buffer over the Bombers.

Dyson Heppell, INCORRECTLY throws the ball double handed to a team mate, which went forward for a goal to the Bombers, once again
decision made, game over, we don't get back the benefit of a buffer over the Bombers.

So as a Swan supporter I say f. o. c. k Em because I remember some Essendon bloke ran a meter over the boundary at the SCG some years back & it was called play on by the little quiet voices in yellow/white/green/red/burgundy/orange & went forward for a goal & we lost the game because of it. See the pattern. No outcry down here from the media, but we all know that the Bombers are cheats, ANYTHING for the 4 points. So whatever the right ruling is & whatever Rampe said, thank god it went our way this time so as supporters we should all chip in $1 Aussie to help pay Rampe's fine for being part of sticking it up this conflicted competition.

Yes you are correct that the little girl comments did not come across well at all but he deserves some forgiveness as he just got hammered not expecting it so I'm happy to put it down as an angry few seconds where he stuffed up.

Ok connolly here goes, as I respect what you have said but here's how I feel after so long watching this biased crap of a manufactured competition.

So there was a point in the game where we played on from the kick out & the ball ran untouched over the boundary, INCORRECTLY one the those people with very quiet voices paid a free kick for OOF, which I repeat, is incorrect, giving the ball, INCORRECTLY back to the Bombers which in turn went forward for a goal. Decision made, game over, we don't get back the benefit of a buffer over the Bombers.

Dyson Heppell, INCORRECTLY throws the ball double handed to a team mate, which went forward for a goal to the Bombers, once again
decision made, game over, we don't get back the benefit of a buffer over the Bombers.

So as a Swan supporter I say f. o. c. k Em because I remember some Essendon bloke ran a meter over the boundary at the SCG some years back & it was called play on by the little quiet voices in yellow/white/green/red/burgundy/orange & went forward for a goal & we lost the game because of it. See the pattern. No outcry down here from the media, but we all know that the Bombers are cheats, ANYTHING for the 4 points. So whatever the right ruling is & whatever Rampe said, thank god it went our way this time so as supporters we should all chip in $1 Aussie to help pay Rampe's fine for being part of sticking it up this conflicted competition.
Ted I grew up with a South Melbourne martyr complex which I have carried proudly into the bell lap of life so I agree with everything you wrote. By the way my generous 100 Philippines peso is worth $2.79 on todays exchange rate you cheap bastard.

I'm very happy with Rampe being one of the co-captains of this club and I don't think of him a ratbag in any way whatsoever. He had an absolute brainfade with climbing the post, but he's certainly a different kind of cat. The more I think about it, the less I care about his "talk like a little girl" comment. It was simply playing on the stereotype that little girls have small voices. Was it sexist? Maybe at an absolute stretch. Was it derogatory to girls? Definitely not. Either way, he's apologised now (and if you want to be a pedant about it being a terrible apology, then I can't stop you from holding an honest footballer to a higher standard than any other public profession) and I reckon it's time to move on.

He is a general of the backline that doesn't just yell at the rest of the team to get them into shape, but encourages them and teaches them. He's a natural leader and his teammates obviously think very highly of him. He has lifted his game to meet the expectations of captaincy too and I'm 100% behind him, red bathrobe or not!

Ted I grew up with a South Melbourne martyr complex which I have carried proudly into the bell lap of life so I agree with everything you wrote. By the way my generous 100 Philippines peso is worth $2.79 on todays exchange rate you cheap bastard.
I definitely must have the same martyr complex as you. It appears I'm also a cheapskate!:thumbsu:

FACT: children speak more softly than adults

FACT: little girls usually speak more softly than little boys.

Likening that the umpire spoke softly like a little girl isn't sexist. Rather it's an accurate assessment if rełevant. Personally I think Rampe showed good discretion. He could have
laid it on heavy but didn't.

Too much political correctness. Get a life I say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back