List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The game plan yesterday would have worked if our forwards could have at least laid the odd tackle or two, they let it come out of their forward line over and over again with little pressure.....Matera, Cox, Hogan, Tabernar mainly work one way when our team has the ball and are pretty poor defensively.

You can't tackle people when they have a free kick, it's in the rules. And free kicks are what you get when we kick it straight to them. I don't see how you can blame forwards lack of tackling when the problem all day was the delivery into the forwards.

We would have won the grand final and most likely two.
Is this really relevant though?

Surely no one on here is trying to argue who is a better coach, I think theres some nuance in what PurpleEyes was arguing in that is was more than who is the better coach.

As far as I'm concerned, Clarkson is the greatest coach of all time, regardless of the talent he had during that period. Not only is his team successful but most of his assistants go on to be successful.

Yes, we would have been more successful had we had the greatest coach of all time

Have we improved though? I mean we have a fully fit young team, we acquired Hogan, Tabs is one of the best markers in the game, Fyfe and Mundy are back to their best. Let’s be honest we had a dream run, dream, dream run and blew it, Suns will finish bottom 4, should have put them to the sword, North are a basket case, Saints are a bottom 4 clubs, Eagles are poor we had them in the right place, GWS was a perfect platform to launch from, Bulldogs a bottom 6 club, Tigers had half their team out and put us to the sword, as the season unfolds more we might get a clear picture but for now our game plan is too easy to get around, our skills are a pathetic as is our forward entry, many of these guys are into their second and third seasons so really should be better, I mean they’re no Tim Kelly but cmon, it’s all skills based and I don’t see us getting better in that department

But they are better and will get better yet, they just aren't at their peak is all. Players aren't beasts of the game (let alone consistent beasts of the game) until somewhere around 22-24. They don't consistently drop off either, some like Mundy can keep on at it into their early 30s, but most start to drop off around 28-30. We have multiple players that are performing to their best right now, but underperforming because they aren't in their peak years, that's a couple of disposals and better decisions difference and cumulative with each young player - and it only takes one bad decision in a chain of possession to undo 4 or 5 other good decisions by other players. Andy for example, on a good day getting 20 disposals as a young midfielder when we would hope to get 25-30+ as a competition elite in his peak, that's giving the other teams midfield an opportunity to waltz out with the ball in hand a couple of times extra and robbing us of a few chances to control the ball and send it forward.

Also, while we have players creeping past 25 games and 50 game markers, we've put games into them early into their careers. 50 game players at 20-22 is a bit different to 50 game players at 23-25. Darcy works his arse off, but is a good example that you don't just do a few weeks of exercise and it's good enough, it takes a few years to condition the players up to the AFL peak performance.

The general point you were making is that we have talent in the team now and therefore should blow the competition out of the water. Your not allowing for the reality that it takes time to "run in" an engine and get peak performance out of a bunch of new parts. The midfield and Forward line have quite a few differences in them from last year to this year, it will take time to get synergy, to have a team instead of a bunch of players (a lot of trades into the 22, on top of young players already in the team).

The rebuild is behind us, we'll just be taking on new players as per normal now. But this is a consolidation year, "running in" the engine, the difference between teamwork and having 22 players on the field as individuals, while also putting experience and conditioning into the younger players. 3 tall forwards can see the ball coming in and go for the mark, team work is where one or two of them choose to not spoil each other and do additional things (position further forward, position ready for a spill or block for your team mate etc).

You must be an absolute joy to be around - got nothing to whinge about so I'll just sit here quietly until things go bad. :rolleyes:
thi
You must be an absolute joy to be around - got nothing to whinge about so I'll just sit here quietly until things go bad. :rolleyes:
things are already bad lol
Is this really relevant though?

Surely no one on here is trying to argue who is a better coach, I think theres some nuance in what PurpleEyes was arguing in that is was more than who is the better coach.

As far as I'm concerned, Clarkson is the greatest coach of all time, regardless of the talent he had during that period. Not only is his team successful but most of his assistants go on to be successful.

Yes, we would have been more successful had we had the greatest coach of all time
QUESTION ....if ross lyon coached the hawks during there 3peat how many premierships do you think he would have won ..i say ZERO maybe one

thi

things are already bad lol

QUESTION ....if ross lyon coached the hawks during there 3peat how many premierships do you think he would have won ..i say ZERO maybe one
Whats even your point here? I just said Clarkson is the greatest coach of all time and significantly better the Lyon. Unfortunately, the greatest coaches of all time are hard to come across since there is only 1 of them...

He is better than Lyon, that does not make Lyon a bad coach, just not as good as the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

Clarksons ability has no bearing on this conversation

For those thinking there is some Clarkson conspiracy.

Hardwick and the tigers play more like Freo circa 2013 than any Clarkson team.

Also we had no difficulty beating GWS who are coached by ex Clarkson alumni Leon Cameron.

Also we had no difficulty beating GWS who are coached by ex Clarkson alumni Leon Cameron.
We beat them once in 2015 and not again till now lmao, calm down a little

Cameron spent 2 years at Hawthorn and is still yet to be involved in an AFL premiership as a player, assistant coach or head coach. He also just got schooled by his old master on the weekend. Not a good example to use.

I don’t agree with your view on the Tigers being like us circa 2013 either. They thrive on chaos, we were drilled with structures to the enth degree.

Ross loses this w/end and the pitchforks will be alight, probs like game of thrones and the dothraki.
Wins, and he's back.
Either way I think he's a dead man walking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross loses this w/end and the pitchforks will be alight, probs like game of thrones and the dothraki.
Wins, and he's back.
Either way I think he's a dead man walking

I don't see Rosich making a decision this far out because otherwise he'd have to admit that he was wrong to give him a 5 year extension. I don't see that happening somehow.

If we lose this weekend to Essendon, we could be in some real bother.

You can't tackle people when they have a free kick, it's in the rules. And free kicks are what you get when we kick it straight to them. I don't see how you can blame forwards lack of tackling when the problem all day was the delivery into the forwards.
So you totally ignore the number of times our forwards just let them waltz it out of the forward line with little to no pressure, kick in were classic where they did what they wanted largely untouched many times until they got it into their forward line

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/28d16712abde4433278a2ae1addade50

I just might leave this here.

I noted a change in our play about three weeks ago.

Apparently I had a hidden agenda.
I agree that this plan worked well in both the North and GWS games and it should be a big part of what we do every week. Let's also pay respect to the opposition who have also done their homework and will do whatever they can to minimise our capacity to do so. This style is a change from previous years so for some guys it is still new and when it gets closed down by the opposition they revert to old and not terribly effective habits.

I am pretty sure that Ross is not going to toss aside a successful new game plan after a couple of weeks! We may have adjusted slightly on the weekend to try to make sure it wasn't a shootout (didn't work too well at start of Q1 and Q4 though) but fundamentally we got nothing from Hill and Langdon who are key link up players over the last 2 weeks and they have to work their individual way through that so the team can perform consistently.

When they go well we go well....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/28d16712abde4433278a2ae1addade50

Lol this article. Yeah I'm sure Ross just flicked the switch to defence cause he hates goals.

Pretty weak analysis. Ironically it's teams that play defensive footy that we are struggling against. So they are not allowing Freo to play the game style that let's them score freely. Obviously that is it's own problem. But anyone who thinks Freo hasn't been attempting to score is kinda idiotic.

Lol this article. Yeah I'm sure Ross just flicked the switch to defence cause he hates goals.

Pretty weak analysis. Ironically it's teams that play defensive footy that we are struggling against. So they are not allowing Freo to play the game style that let's them score freely. Obviously that is it's own problem. But anyone who thinks Freo hasn't been attempting to score is kinda idiotic.
when play extra players behind the ball it work well against us.

I notice he offers no stats to support his thesis of a distinct change in style. Which is disappointing because it would have been really interesting to see.

I think there's been a few Fox pieces on how corridor use is down this year across the competition, possibly as a result of the new rules.

But yeah pretty s**t article, it would be great if those campaigners at Fox and champion data could actually give us the stats so we could see if a drastic change has been made.

I mean the Adelaide game they played perfectly to stop that quick long kick out of defence so you have to put it in that context too. Ala Clarko going the hard zone on GWS last week and ******* up their ball movement totally.

Back