Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Gary Ablett’s 2 elbows over 2 weeks were powder puff and I am fine with him getting off (though he should have gotten a 2nd fine for rough conduct after his 2nd elbow), but Nat Fyfe’s hit had the potential for serious damage.
A fine at the least, 2 weeks at the most. Probably should have been a week. Result: “No case to answer because there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence”... this makes no sense. Why are people reported and rubbed out for weeks for tripping when there is insufficient force to create an injury? Answer: because of the potential for serious injury. Yet Fyfe gets off Scot-free. I have been a fan of the new tribunal system with Christian to date, but this has the AFL’s publicity departments fingerprints all over it.

Note: I am a huge of Nat Fyfe fan and think he typically plays the game fairly.

Could someone with video talent put James Cousins elbow, Ablett’s elbows and Fyfe’s elbow in sequence. My bet is that, given the choice of which elbow to take, none would choose Fyfe’s.
Ablett did that to stop the disposer running on
Wansnt there a rule brought in called the Ablett rule? What happened to that?

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m sure they would be more than happy to keep their wallets in their pockets.

It would seem the gloves have come off between the hawks and the afl and I’m fully supportive of their comments on attendance at this game

In saying that our attendances at games outside these time slots aren’t that flash either and excuses don’t really cut it when you see other sides supporters rocking up

Reckon the afl would love to see bombers at the mcg and hawks at marvel
I was at the game with my brother and our kids and noted the sparseness of the crowd. That said, leaving our wives on mother’s day was not easy... until our wives knew we would be taking all of the kids... from then on, for some reason, they were all for it.

Breakfast in bed, presents, then a day off from the kids (yes she did shop)... I’m not sure why there were not 100,000 at the game! Maybe the Hawks publicity group missed a chance here.

And the bonus: the Hawks system kept the highest scoring team in the comp to just 5 goals: haha. Everyone wins. 👌😆

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ablett did that to stop the disposer running on
Wansnt there a rule brought in called the Ablett rule? What happened to that?
It was worth a free kick...

Obstruction of players happens more often than there are disposals in a game... I am not sure what you are getting at.

I know of the Toby Green rule, the Hawthorn rule (2008: taking the rushed behind) but not the Ablett rule. Please elaborate.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m sure they would be more than happy to keep their wallets in their pockets.

It would seem the gloves have come off between the hawks and the afl and I’m fully supportive of their comments on attendance at this game

In saying that our attendances at games outside these time slots aren’t that flash either and excuses don’t really cut it when you see other sides supporters rocking up

Reckon the afl would love to see bombers at the mcg and hawks at marvel

Can you blame them !!!!

I'm sure the Hawthorn supporters out there who didn't go to the GWS game for whatever reason will likely go to the Richmond game this week. It's a replacement game and Sundays weather forecast is 19 degrees sunny.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
It was worth a free kick...

Obstruction of players happens more often than there are disposals in a game... I am not sure what you are getting at.

I know of the Toby Green rule, the Hawthorn rule (2008: taking the rushed behind) but not the Ablett rule. Please elaborate.

Came about after the mitchell Ablett incident in 2008 GF, which free and 50m led to a goal in the third quarter

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Can you blame them !!!!

I think supporters including myself that attended lots of games in the past few years...and have now have peetered off......is in direct action against the the poor umpiring/the fixture and the MRP....in short alot of us think this competition is cooked now more so than ever between Hocking/Gill and Christian...never have I felt so desolusioned by this game and its outcomes as I have in 2019. A game I followed as a young kid.

Sorry Topiary its not a competition anymore..its as close to Masterchef and My kitchen Rules than it has ever been. Where the producers behind the scenes are cooking the narrative.

Can you blame them !!!!

As long as the hawks are paying their way then you would think there’s naught they can really do.

I get that the club would prefer people turning up in big numbers but the reality is for whatever reason they don’t. Club may need to look at ways of encouraging more people to attend but that’s going to be difficult with the current fixture.

It becomes a vicious cycle as the afl continue to make the fixture for hawk members unpalatable due to non attendances. Members actually playing into the afl hands.

It will be interesting to see how hard the hawks are prepared to poke the afl by airing it’s complaints and even more interesting as to who blinks first

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think supporters including myself that attended lots of games in the past few years...and have now have peetered off......is in direct action against the the poor umpiring/the fixture and the MRP....in short alot of us think this competition is cooked now more so than ever between Hocking/Gill and Christian...never have I felt so desolusioned by this game and its outcomes as I have in 2019. A game I followed as a young kid.

Sorry Topiary its not a competition anymore..its as close to Masterchef and My kitchen Rules than it has ever been. Where the producers behind the scenes are cooking the narrative.

I am sorry. How do those reasons stop you from supporting and turning up. Do you realise by not turning up THE AFL WINS and you feed their Agenda.

I am sorry, but for what it is worth, I passionately disagree.
So many of our supporters are fair weather, I get Mothers Day and the time slot, but a genuine top four supported Club would do better. The MCC expected 27k.
14000 for a so called top four club, is an utter, utter disgrace. Mother’s Day or not !! It is a convenient excuse. Any wonder this Club nearly merged. I was intensely involved in the merger debate and this effort by so called Hawthorn people is the epitome of why we were a candidate.
80000 members, I am sorry it is a disgrace.

I know this view will rankle a few, but that crowd was a massive disappointment. I will duck for cover now.
Very disappointing crowd but highly predictable.
I am a regular attendee to Home games but yesterday I could not get out of family commitments.
Saw most of the match on TV - but that does not help attendances.
Mother's day is an extremely difficult day to please the family.
Sort the commitments out. We had all my wifes family around at 12pm for lunch - meant could easily leave for the game - got there with 10 minutes to spare thanks to the train lines going down
It is merely an observation, the more I think about it the more I think our supporters have lives outside of footy. Your Pies or Tigers supporter base are the lower socio economic of the community and have nothing else better to do but turn up to the footy as it is basically there livelihoods. It's why they always turn up in droves. Was told this by a mate when I asked about attendances today.
No excuse. We all have lives outside of footy. Only a few hours every week - certainly easier to do when the match is played in the city you live in.

Yep and by not attending our matches you are contributing to us getting more and more unattractive fixtures

Believe it or not but the AFL don't want to waste "good fixtures" on teams that don't turn up

I've made it to 8/8 games so far this year. Totally get that that would be impossible for most people, but no doubt most people could have got to an extra game or two than they have so far this year.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can you blame them !!!!
State the fear: Many Hawthorn members are fair weather supporters.
Fact: Many are.

Expectation of a win for satisfaction is as superficial as makeup on a YouTube influencer. It is all based on a lie and ultimately ends in disappointment.

If this is a revelation then you probably were not a supporter in the late 1990s.

I admire StKilda supporters. They turn up to a game hoping... even though their club has won just 1 premiership, and that was in 1966.

Of course the number of people attending Hawthorn’s games will decrease when we are in transition.

Things are never as bad as you think or as good as you want.

FWIW: having a section of the stand to ourselves had our kids loving being at the game as they climbed seats and tried to do a lap of the G. It was an adventure that they will not forget ... as opposed to them being at home on an iPad.

Swings and roundabouts.
Came about after the mitchell Ablett incident in 2008 GF, which free and 50m led to a goal in the third quarter
Was Mitchell impeding Ablett... Was it another Clarko innovation?

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The Western Bulldogs game was ... confusing and greatly unsatisfying... I give you that. I don’t like it when the Hawks lose, but am OK with losing, as long as the game make sense... which on that day it did not.

I am sorry, but for what it is worth, I passionately disagree.
So many of our supporters are fair weather, I get Mothers Day and the time slot, but a genuine top four supported Club would do better. The MCC expected 27k.
14000 for a so called top four club, is an utter, utter disgrace. Mother’s Day or not !! It is a convenient excuse. Any wonder this Club nearly merged. I was intensely involved in the merger debate and this effort by so called Hawthorn people is the epitome of why we were a candidate.
80000 members, I am sorry it is a disgrace.

I know this view will rankle a few, but that crowd was a massive disappointment. I will duck for cover now.
You know it was the third highest attendance ever between the two sides yeah?

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the thumping win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 18 Bounces

O'Meara 17 (1w - de Boer 14)
Shiels 15 (3w)
Worpel 15
Henderson 14 (12w, 2i)
Scully 8 wing
Cousins 8 (2w)
Morrison 8 wing
Gunston 2 wing
Breust 2
Puopolo 1

Rucks:
McEvoy 13 (Simpson 9)
Ceglar 5 (Tomlinson 9)

1st Half - 11

O'Meara 11 (1w)
Shiels 10 (3w)
Worpel 9
Henderson 7 (6w, 1i)
Scully 6 wing
Cousins 5 (1w)
Morrison 3 wing
Gunston 2 wing
Breust 2

McEvoy 7
Ceglar 4

2nd Half - 7

Henderson 7 (6w, 1i)
O'Meara 6
Worpel 6
Shiels 5
Morrison 5 wing
Cousins 3 (2i, 1w)
Scully 2 wing
Puopolo 1

McEvoy 6
Ceglar 1

Notes:
- Morrison didn't have a start in the first term, so he ended up appearing at 8 of the final 13 bounces.

Last edited:

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why can't Isaac Smith be Henderson of this year? :(

Smitty has been on a long slow decline in form and effectiveness since that missed shot against the Catters.
Post that moment I thought he'd be back stronger and looking for leadership and the ability to be an assassin. I thought he'd suck in the Hawthorn vapors and go another level.
In effect today, he runs around alot but doesn't break down the opposition nearly as much, and his left peg has become pretty average in lethality.
Surprised.
Disappointed.
Not sure he gets back to his best over an extended period and to be relied on.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Sort the commitments out. We had all my wifes family around at 12pm for lunch - meant could easily leave for the game - got there with 10 minutes to spare thanks to the train lines going down

No excuse. We all have lives outside of footy. Only a few hours every week - certainly easier to do when the match is played in the city you live in.

Yep and by not attending our matches you are contributing to us getting more and more unattractive fixtures

Believe it or not but the AFL don't want to waste "good fixtures" on teams that don't turn up

I've made it to 8/8 games so far this year. Totally get that that would be impossible for most people, but no doubt most people could have got to an extra game or two than they have so far this year.

Mighty Hawks: anyone who is in Bigfooty on the Hawks site cares about being a Hawthorn supporter.

Slicing through their excuses only end in chopped salad. And I don’t want no chopped salad sitting next to me.

If the Hawks want supporters to turn up then they need to change the reason to come. Winning becomes a picnic at the footy.

Focusing on how good a player is becomes how the Hawks trolled the draft after trading Mitchell and Lewis and the drafted: Mitchell Lewis (abasi’s nickname Hodge).

OR

Can the Hawks crowd create the loudest boo for Breust. Stick a guy in the middle with a meter at each game. Yell: Breuuuuuuuuuuuust.

Chants: emanating from the cheers squat. Very slow and short, a well known tune, very repeatable, and join-in-able.

Everyone in bigfooty gives a sh%t.

Let not your disappointment ruin your friendships ......... ..... (is that a real quote? Or did I just come up with it. If I did: I got dibs....haha)

Last edited:

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m a legends club member and I think I’ve been to 2 games since 2018.

I work retail so Saturday Sunday I’m at work.

I’ll still buy that membership.

Judge me I don’t really care.

Also with a 1 year old I’d much rather hang with him.

But honestly the main reason is I don’t enjoy the game any more. I never understood when people would say this, but I do now. Just get Vince McMahon to replace gill, Triple H to replace Hocking and stone cold to replace Christian.

At least with WWE you know it’s entertainment.

Smitty has been on a long slow decline in form and effectiveness since that missed shot against the Catters.
Post that moment I thought he'd be back stronger and looking for leadership and the ability to be an assassin. I thought he'd suck in the Hawthorn vapors and go another level.
In effect today, he runs around alot but doesn't break down the opposition nearly as much, and his left peg has become pretty average in lethality.
Surprised.
Disappointed.
Not sure he gets back to his best over an extended period and to be relied on.

This is just factually incorrect, in terms of Brownlow Votes and almost every other stat, Smith had one of his best years statistically in 2018. He got the ball, used it effectually and when weighted against team performance he was involved in scoring as much or more than most other seasons. His highest goal tally at the club came in 2018.

He missed that goal in 2016 which was, all things considered, one of his worst years - he averaged career lows in most stats, not least of all was scoreboard impact.

I know it sounds nice and dramatic to have a trigger point for where it all fell apart or something, but let's not make stuff up.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

'Sort the commitments out.'

They have. Which is why they weren't at the game because they likely had more important things to do.

Back