Henry Slattery Effect

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
BTG.. I don't think they will give him 6 games just to break the milestone but apparently he is playing well with Bendigo and hopefully enjoying his footy still.

I think it is a case of everyone having their opinion and agreeing that we shouldn't pot a guy based on things that happened years ago. Probably it could be argued that both sides are correct. Hank was singled out perhaps unfairly for things that were going poorly for the side and couldn't be replaced due to a lack of cattle. On the flip side most supporters were able to ascertain that Hank was unlikely to ever make 'AFL' level and shouldn't be considered in our next premiership team plans..

Bringing up irrelevant team statistics demonstrating our increased focus on defence should be bought under the "why Knights was an idiot" thread rather than Slattery...

BTG.. I don't think they will give him 6 games just to break the milestone but apparently he is playing well with Bendigo and hopefully enjoying his footy still.

I think it is a case of everyone having their opinion and agreeing that we shouldn't pot a guy based on things that happened years ago. Probably it could be argued that both sides are correct. Hank was singled out perhaps unfairly for things that were going poorly for the side and couldn't be replaced due to a lack of cattle. On the flip side most supporters were able to ascertain that Hank was unlikely to ever make 'AFL' level and shouldn't be considered in our next premiership team plans..

Bringing up irrelevant team statistics demonstrating our increased focus on defence should be bought under the "why Knights was an idiot" thread rather than Slattery...

- I hope he gets a run of games as we rest a few blokes in the lead up to finals. It wouldn't be amazing if he got 4 games as Hardingham, Hibberd, Heppell and Dempsey all had a week off at different times for example.

- he did make AFL level and made it quite comfortably. He didn't make top 4 to premiership level.

I don't think Ben's saying that he "made it" at AFL level, just that he made AFL level.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But "AFL level" for a player is dictated by those who are playing in it at the time.

Really? How did he make it comfortably. What is the difference between making it and making it in a top 4 team.

Why else would you play football if not to win premierships. So how exactly did he make it?

He played 94 games and will probably add to that either here or in Adelaide. If that's not "making it" as an AFL level player, what is?

I didn't say he had a successful career or made it at the highest level, but he made it at AFL level.

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think Ben's saying that he "made it" at AFL level, just that he made AFL level.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But "AFL level" for a player is dictated by those who are playing in it at the time.

AFL level would mean he is competent at said level, no?

If you said he is a solid foot soldier who should be playing 2nd tier comps, I wouldn't disagree.

anyway - this thread shoudl be locked.

he has been a loyal dedicated servant of the club and what I have a read, a great bloke. Well done on what he has achieved with his limited ability.

time for him to move on.

AFL level would mean he is competent at said level, no?

"Competent" being said by a punter is just an opinion. The fact that he's played 50+ games at the level over the course of half a decade means that he's a part of defining what that level is, even if he's the worst player in the league. The fact that three separate coaching regimes haven't put a line through him over the course of that time means that he is a part of that level. About a third of the games he's played in are victories, and for a club that's going through a bit of a dark age at the moment that's a reasonably decent record.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
No one who plays nearly 100 games can be said to have not made it at AFL level.

Some of you not only bitter and sad, but foolish too.

"Competent" being said by a punter is just an opinion. The fact that he's played 50+ games at the level over the course of half a decade means that he's a part of defining what that level is, even if he's the worst player in the league. The fact that three separate coaching regimes haven't put a line through him over the course of that time means that he is a part of that level. About a third of the games he's played in are victories, and for a club that's going through a bit of a dark age at the moment that's a reasonably decent record.

Of course the other two thirds were entirely his fault.

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon

Who says?
1) the first coaching regime was sacked (and insane)
2) the less said about the second the better
3) the third (and best of the bunch) is about to sack him

Like Dyson, his first 30-50 games he was given leeway to find his feet. Which is fair enough. If we weren't so utterly horrible, would he have reached 94 games? Becasue now we are becoming competitive, he is nowhere to be seen, indicating he was best available. Hence DE-FAULT!!!

He got a go last year, embarrassed himself last year and had his papers stamped.

Why can't people just accept he is a schite footballer at AFL level, but a great team player and someone who got the absolute most out of his ability and probably is a very good VFL footballer. What is the shame in that?

Only the blind faithful at Essendon rate him an AFL footballer.

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
Of course the other two thirds were entirely his fault.

Quote me once where I blame Slattery. Or for that matter anyone else who solely blames Slattery (excluding trolls).

I find it absurd people cannot acknowledge that when sub-standard players like him get games, we do not play as well.

You are happy to pot Atkinson as a schite footballer (and he was average), yet defend Slatts to the hilt, despite him displaying different inadequacies.

Only the blind faithful at Essendon rate him an AFL footballer.

I'm far from a Hank fan, distant from it in fact; my argument is a semantic one.

His career is at an end for sure, but I'm just mystified in general by the perverse glee at the probable delisting of a guy who has actually served the EFC to the best of his limited abilities over a protracted period of time, when he hasn't even played a game until late last year. It's morbid, it's unwarranted, and who can really be bothered? If we do very well this year, I'd hope that the vibe was more "Thanks Hank for being a good clubman and wearing the red and black with pride if not scintillating ability" rather than "Thank Christ he's gone, because he embarasses us."

I think more often than not the EFC is good to its own people, and whether people think he should ever have played senior football or not is almost a moot point when it's all said and done, because Henry Slattery, for better or worse, is undeniably an Essendon person now.

No one who plays nearly 100 games can be said to have not made it at AFL level.

Some of you not only bitter and sad, but foolish too.

Agreed. Slattery's not my favourite player, but he should be embraced for his service to the club.

He's been named as an emergency this week, so for all we know he could be close to selection.

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm far from a Hank fan, distant from it in fact; my argument is a semantic one.

His career is at an end for sure, but I'm just mystified in general by the perverse glee at the probable delisting of a guy who has actually served the EFC to the best of his limited abilities over a protracted period of time, when he hasn't even played a game until late last year. It's morbid, it's unwarranted, and who can really be bothered? If we do very well this year, I'd hope that the vibe was more "Thanks Hank for being a good clubman and wearing the red and black with pride if not scintillating ability" rather than "Thank Christ he's gone, because he embarasses us."

I think more often than not the EFC is good to its own people, and whether people think he should ever have played senior football or not is almost a moot point when it's all said and done, because Henry Slattery, for better or worse, is undeniably an Essendon person now.

I understand what you are saying and agree he has been a great servant to the club. I would hope no one would disagree.

I think it is the fact he is taking up a spot on the list when he isn't part of the future. Did you rejoice when Henneman was finally delisted? The years of wanting him gone more has to do with the coaches than the player himself.

Much like potting Oz cricketers. The potting is usually at them, but is meant for the selectors.

Think the third coaching regime didn't rate Slattery - Is still on the list because he is contracted - Think EFC tried to trade him to Brisbane.

Slappery

Senior List
Mar 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Think the third coaching regime didn't rate Slattery - Is still on the list because he is contracted - Think EFC tried to trade him to Brisbane.

Brisbane and Port asked about Henry, but they were told he was a required player and asked for too much. Only wanted Caddy last year unless that eventuated no one else was put on the table

Slappery

Senior List
Mar 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Really? How did he make it comfortably. What is the difference between making it and making it in a top 4 team.

Why else would you play football if not to win premierships. So how exactly did he make it?

He has played 94 more games of AFL football than i have, you have and 99% of supporters. He has achieved something that we have all dreamed about and i would trade my left nut too do.

Of course you play football to win premierships, but because he didn't win one doesn't mean he didn't make it. How many champions have never won a premiership or played in a top 4 team..does that mean they didn't make it?

What about the guys that played less than 20 games and won a premiership...did they make it more than Henry...or did they get extremely lucky?

Every time he stepped onto the field he gave everything for Essendon, sacrificed himself more so than others at the time....he may not be the most talented player and yes others have gone past him (that is good thing, makes our footy club stronger) but he gave it everything which is all you can ask for. He bled Red and Black

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
So studying the current playing list, I was a little shocked to see the lack of players on the positive side of the W/L ledger with our club. We all have our opinions on which players actually make us a better side. But whose record stacks up?

I think moving forward we need to build around these guys. They are winners. Its science.

Dylan Clarke: 100% winning ratio. When he plays Essendon win
Zac Clarke: 66% a serendipitous discovery is we should recruit more Clarkes
Dyle Longfark: 66% another whose record stacks up well, unlike that 34% hack Kyle Langford
Jake Long: 60% not too shabby, Jake rounds out the guys with a clearly superior record
Jordan Ridley: 55% a reasonable ratio, should lead to fairly regular finals appearances
Matt Guelfi: 55% as above, but his ratio has dropped rapidly since the hair do which is an unfortunate discovery. Still, better to know these things.
David Myers: 52% reluctantly I have to see reason, the stats don't lie. Or does an exception prove the rule?
Andrew McGrath: 51% wins more often than not, what you'd expect from the top pick

Now the list can't go forward with just our 8 proven winners. So I think it's fair to say Begley, Ham and Saad stay as we are a 50-50 proposition with them in the side. That's pretty good odds in a two horse race. We would obviously keep Mozzie, Houlahan, BZT, Gown, Draper, Mynott and Jok and give them a chance to prove if they are also winners.

That's our 18 to take forward and build the side around. From the rest I guess you probably have to trim pretty hard starting from the bottom of the list, until they either improve or we can move them all on:

Heppell: 48%
Smith: 48%
Stewart: 47%
Hurley: 46%
Stringer: 46%
Hooker: 46%
Baguley: 45%
Zaharakis: 44%
Bellchambers: 44%
McKenna: 42%
McKernan: 42%
Merrett: 41%
Redman: 40%
Ambrose: 40%
McNiece: 40%
Orazio: 39%
Hartley: 39%
Shiel: 38%
Parish: 37%
Daniher: 37%
Dea: 36%
Brown: 34%
Langford: 34%
Francis: 33%
Laverde: 33%
Gleeson: 30%
Mutch: 25%

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Time travel or alternate universe?!?!

This is clearly the Baguley thread and yet they are referring to him as some form of species they call the "Hank"???

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
That's our 18 to take forward and build the side around. From the rest I guess you probably have to trim pretty hard starting from the bottom of the list, until they either improve or we can move them all on:

Heppell: 48%
Smith: 48%
Stewart: 47%
Hurley: 46%
Stringer: 46%
Hooker: 46%
Baguley: 45%
Zaharakis: 44%
Bellchambers: 44%
McKenna: 42%
McKernan: 42%
Merrett: 41%
Redman: 40%
Ambrose: 40%
McNiece: 40%
Orazio: 39%
Hartley: 39%
Shiel: 38%
Parish: 37%
Daniher: 37%
Dea: 36%
Brown: 34%
Langford: 34%
Francis: 33%
Laverde: 33%
Gleeson: 30%
Mutch: 25%

Zaharakis doing alright considering he played in 2016.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Zaharakis doing alright considering he played in 2016.
I had wondered whether to discount 2016 for the likes of Zaharakis and Hartley. The question would be if it unfairly impacted their records or if it has shaped the culture to which they are now accustomed? Probably needs to be taken into consideration while there are still only 18 proven winners on the list.

Back