Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equally teams in flag contention dont just trade A graders for picks if they have a choice not to. This year shows Geelong made the right call there. Maybe both sets of supporters can accept that both clubs made the right calls for both their circumstances and there was no middle ground that could have been reached.

A very sensible post. Kelly isn't/wasn't 'being traded', he requested a trade. If Brian Cook/Stephen Wells looked at our draft picks last year and thought 'we should trade Kelly' then there would've been an uproar. If the same dialogue opens up again this year it becomes a matter of how much 'choice' each party has. An uncontracted player doesn't belong to any side.

We're happy with our 2017 draft picks and we're obviously happy with our 2018 season. 2019 needs a bit of work but you don't win the flag in May. Also worth nothing that Bryce Gibbs polled 13 Brownlow votes in 2016 and tried to get to the Crows, then 11 in 2017 when he did get there. He was supposed to be the difference and despite having a comparable season last year Adelaide went backwards. And signing a big name/money player to an established group put a few noses out of joint and they ended up losing McGovern and Cameron. Plenty of factors to consider.

A very sensible post. Kelly isn't/wasn't 'being traded', he requested a trade. If Brian Cook/Stephen Wells looked at our draft picks last year and thought 'we should trade Kelly' then there would've been an uproar. If the same dialogue opens up again this year it becomes a matter of how much 'choice' each party has. An uncontracted player doesn't belong to any side.

We're happy with our 2017 draft picks and we're obviously happy with our 2018 season. 2019 needs a bit of work but you don't win the flag in May. Also worth nothing that Bryce Gibbs polled 13 Brownlow votes in 2016 and tried to get to the Crows, then 11 in 2017 when he did get there. He was supposed to be the difference and despite having a comparable season last year Adelaide went backwards. And signing a big name/money player to an established group put a few noses out of joint and they ended up losing McGovern and Cameron. Plenty of factors to consider.

Dead right and plenty of water to go under the bridge as yet.
Until Kelly says he wants to come home for sure which I don’t think he will until the end of the year, and then if he says only West Coast again?? Then and only then is it up to the Eagles to decide do they want an A grade mid potentially for 5-6 years or are they content that Venables and co will eventually fill that role.
What we all say and think and what these AFL clubs do are poles apart generally and their appetites for young under developed footballers seems to have no end at all AFL clubs.

The Eagles list is about the next generation, think it was 9 debutants in 2018, including the more mature aged Rioli & Ryan - I'm sure Simpson & Co have a plan & its not going to be made public. Where Tim Kelly fits is for us to speculate.

Im not sure what the average is but most clubs have debutants each year .. we certainly have had a few the last two or three years. That WC would be planning for the future is no surprise .. they have a strong history..it indicates the quality of the club.

Equally teams in flag contention dont just trade A graders for picks if they have a choice not to. This year shows Geelong made the right call there. Maybe both sets of supporters can accept that both clubs made the right calls for both their circumstances and there was no middle ground that could have been reached.

Its a good point but.. id say with WC just coming off a flag , and Geelong just coming off a bum rush out the finals w1... it probably leans more WC way than Geelong ..so if ..teams is in flag contention dont just trade A graders for picks if they have a choice not to .. then conversely teams will trade picks for A graders that can added immediate value. Lets face it .. Kelly's form this year added to a flag side..for the cost of a couple of early picks etc.

I agree both clubs had their pov , and WC's form probably means both clubs have made correct choices .. and in a way I suspect most of the other clubs including WC will actually like the Kelly outcome..Geelong would not relent without a very good biased deal biased deal their way on a contracted player ..and now kelly is playing up a storm . Any player agent that wants to run the gauntlet of a contracted player best be careful about what he promises imo.

Im not sure what the average is but most clubs have debutants each year .. we certainly have had a few the last two or three years. That WC would be planning for the future is no surprise .. they have a strong history..it indicates the quality of the club.

9 is a lot in my experience, & the preceding bunch of kids drafted hadnt really stayed the course. Its the list management structure right through to debut thats been different in my experience, toss in a flag & you have a reluctance to push anyone out.

Not that Geelong wanted too much for Tim, nor that the Eagles tried to lowball Geelong.

Putting trade value aside - what a genuine gun. A rare mix of inside and outside ability and seems to have his head right.

I have seen 3 games where kelly has been tagged this year . West coast have tagged him twice including pre season and GWS once . He didn't dominate any of those games .
He will have more work put into him soon if he keeps this form up .

As of now he is smashing it . Lets just let the season pan out before we make a judgment on where he is at
He layed 11 tackles against you guys a couple of weeks ago, 18 disposals with it to... Not bad for a bloke who got tagged

I agree with all of that and i agree while pushing harder to push players out to get Kelly may have been an on field win its risky and isnt the sort of thing that successful flag winning clubs do. West Coast had larger considerations as did Geelong. Sonetimes parties have very different objectives because their problems are different.

Putting trade value aside - what a genuine gun. A rare mix of inside and outside ability and seems to have his head right.

Yep. He is a rare player. Not putting aside the trade talk, It will take a very generous deal to get Kelly back home. I can see Freo offering something decent, but it will come at a high cost. Worth it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. He is a rare player. Not putting aside the trade talk, It will take a very generous deal to get Kelly back home. I can see Freo offering something decent, but it will come at a high cost. Worth it though.

Yeah as long as he keeps playing against bottom 3 teams his entire life. Definitely worth it.

Nor they should. Because he isn't and he won't. Whereas Kelly is currently playing as a top 5 player and is currently a legitimate chance for the Brownlow. That't not just me saying it but just about every footy commentator!!

Well he hasn’t been suspended so yes, he is a legitimate chance.

Still, doesn’t change that he is out of contract with limited clubs buying :)

And vs GWS ?

That was one of the strangest games i've seen as a Cat. The Giants absolutely dominated possessions, and i doubt there's been a game where all of Danger, Selwood, Duncan and Kelly had as little of the ball as that game. Yet Geelong lost by 4 points thanks to the Giants mids dominating and Cameron doing it all. Kelly was also coming off a knee/ankle injury he sustained against the Crows the previous week so may have also been a bit tender that day too. Since then he's been outstanding, the best i've seen him play.

It's actually a bit galling to see how inept the Giants were against the Hawks, they really didn't fire a shot at all last weekend. But Tim's great form is a significant reason Geelong has started 2019 so well. He's stepped up with his usage too, he's real quality with the ball, both finding targets and with some handy goalkicking too.

TK is a professional, this aint a 3 horse race there will be 18 clubs chasing him, he will get a 5 year deal on big money and his wife will be bloody happy with it :)

Totally agree. I think a big pay day deal is coming his way

I don't think Eagles can make it happen, can Geelong?

Totally agree. I think a big pay day deal is coming his way

I don't think Eagles can make it happen, can Geelong?

We can make a huge financial offer but we all know money isn't the issue here.

In terms of our list management:

- Harry Taylor likely retirement end of 2019
- Ablett two year contract finishes, will likely play on on a one year deal
- Big money three year deals for S. Selwood, Henderson and Zac Smith expire - expect at least 2 of this group to be retained but on lower $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back