Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this earlier in the year but after yesterday am even more keen on him after his 34 and 2 goals - Tom Phillips.

Extremely underrated, plays 4th-5th string in the Pies midfield, is only 22, out of contract. Plays mostly outside but a bit of inside, can rack up the pill unlike SPS and Dow who are still 2-3 years away from consistently being at the level required. Really good option to bridge the gap imo. Similar to a Neale at Brisbane albeit not as much a 'star'.

What would we need to give up for him? Apparently is a loyal guy so would be tough to get him across. Would take a monster amount of money I'm guessing.
The irony. I just posted about him.
Then read this. Apparently we all want him. But hate Marc. Hilarious.

I think he's out of contract at the end of 2020.

He can find the ball but his disposal lets him down at times. I suspect this is the reason why he's not getting a game at the moment.

Even as a contracted player, Brodie is probably only worth a mid-late second round selection.
Wouldn’t get a game.

Like the biggest problem on our list is....small forwards. Pick a club. I’ll find ya a weakness. Pick any club. Our weakness is small forward? Who gives a ****.

We ain’t losing because we don’t have small forwards. We are losing because we are SO young. And I’m ******* fine with that.

Maybe the list management thread isn't for you.
There are though the Positive and the Depth threads floating about.

Hey Windows. Love your passion, agree with 99%. Just wondering what you see as our main problems.

I think we could really use an indigenous lad in the forward 50 with speed and defensive nous (Pickett). The ball too often is able to come back out a bit too easy. I’d love a Eddie or Jeffry again, speculative picks that paid off. Exhilarating to watch too.

Happy if the club takes a flyer on Dunkley in the midseason or even Tipungwuti. Neither expected to move the needle, but could be low risk-high reward.

Mathematically the probability of success is demonstrated by the historical success of players picked at different ranges of the draft. This success is converted mathematically into the Points system that is used for father son and academy selections.
SO the reason we do poorly with late picks is because ON AVERAGE OVER TIME all clubs do.
Have there been errors? Of course. Most late picks and rookie players- bar far and away most - do not make it.

Late picks don’t work. Which is why sos traded out players for early picks. Giving him any credit for that? Cc? McKay? Yeah didn’t think so.

He’s put together the best 24 and under list in the history of the afl. Yep. Best ever.
And we whinge.
SHUT UP.

You may be replying to many posts here but isolating the one. That's OK.
I'll also excuse your fuel-filled(?) exuberance after an honourable loss and a scan at our list.

Has SOS done a good job?
1. In terms of doing the deals to get what he wanted - 10/10
2. In terms of draft selections (more of a team effort) - 9/10
3. In terms of Free Agents and rookie draft selections - ????? Let's be nice and just say it's nowhere near a top mark.

You're not going to pull future champions from everywhere and anywhere, but there's a clear drop in results (and effort?) when discussing the #3
For me, it's not even about the misses but rather the types we've gone for and the expense of needs.
We've discussed this before and as far back as 18 months ago and somehow the same results still show up. Wonder why?

My take is the defence is looking very very good. Newman has been great and a fit Docherty & Williamson will make a big difference. Weitering Jones & Marchbank all guns.

Midfield will be a weapon in 2-3 years. Not only has talent and depth but a lot of elite talent.

Forward line has the tall talent and all young. A small forward would be good but needs to be a good one. We don't need role players as we have enough

Ruck is great if Kruezer is fit but we need another gun option. IMO TDK is more a forward/ruck but can do both very well. We are much better if he can be 2nd ruck

IMO important to add some top end talent on the ground and doesn't matter where. Quality over quantity this year

Hey Windows. Love your passion, agree with 99%. Just wondering what you see as our main problems.

I think we could really use an indigenous lad in the forward 50 with speed and defensive nous (Pickett). The ball too often is able to come back out a bit too easy. I’d love a Eddie or Jeffry again, speculative picks that paid off. Exhilarating to watch too.

Happy if the club takes a flyer on Dunkley in the midseason or even Tipungwuti. Neither expected to move the needle, but could be low risk-high reward.

You agree with 99% and then say we need speed and small goal-kickers?
I'd peg back that 99% to a somewhat lower figure.

The individual got a little ahead of him/herself, with his/her 'robust' attack on posts.
You may say passion.....I may say......Shiraz (or something like that)

Our main problem is age in the midfield. By miles. Yes agree a dangerous small forward would help. I just don’t see it as the huge problem others do. Cunners Fish Dow SpS splitting time mid and forward keeps the midfield fresh, them in the game, and plenty of forward ground ball winning ability. CC, McKay and MCG are all fat more adept at ground ball winning than most key forwards. Cripps is magnificent at forward 50 stoppages. We scored off 58 percent of forward entries on the weekend.

Not really interested in picking up an ‘average’ crumbed if it weakens our mid/forward group. A ‘lethal’ one sure. But who are they? There aren’t heaps of the level of Fantasia. And that would be the quality I’d be interested in.

Just my view! 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You agree with 99% and then say we need speed and small goal-kickers?
I'd peg back that 99% to a somewhat lower figure.

The individual got a little ahead of him/herself, with his/her 'robust' attack on posts.
You may say passion.....I may say......Shiraz (or something like that)
Or you may be flat out wrong. I don’t drink or do any illegal substances. Ever. I was simply awake. And tired of the usual mindless negativity that I was reading for the 1,000th time.

Debate me on facts Harks. Do your best.

Our main problem is age in the midfield. By miles. Yes agree a dangerous small forward would help. I just don’t see it as the huge problem others do. Cunners Fish Dow SpS splitting time mid and forward keeps the midfield fresh, them in the game, and plenty of forward ground ball winning ability. CC, McKay and MCG are all fat more adept at ground ball winning than most key forwards. Cripps is magnificent at forward 50 stoppages. We scored off 58 percent of forward entries on the weekend.

Not really interested in picking up an ‘average’ crumbed if it weakens our mid/forward group. A ‘lethal’ one sure. But who are they? There aren’t heaps of the level of Fantasia. And that would be the quality I’d be interested in.

Just my view! 😊

100% agree

My take is the defence is looking very very good. Newman has been great and a fit Docherty & Williamson will make a big difference. Weitering Jones & Marchbank all guns.

Midfield will be a weapon in 2-3 years. Not only has talent and depth but a lot of elite talent.

Forward line has the tall talent and all young. A small forward would be good but needs to be a good one. We don't need role players as we have enough

Ruck is great if Kruezer is fit but we need another gun option. IMO TDK is more a forward/ruck but can do both very well. We are much better if he can be 2nd ruck

IMO important to add some top end talent on the ground and doesn't matter where. Quality over quantity this year

You don't take speed for speeds sake, but a little extra zip out of the backline and some smaller fear-factor-type in the forward line and it's up to fitness and coaching from there.

I feel we've really missed Pickett operating around our forward line and even though he isn't a high possession player, he's dangerous on many levels.
Polson, Gibbons and ECurnow aren't those types that can sit on heads and catch you in a flash. Pickett (at his best) scares the runners in the defensive 50.

Can't say I'm buoyed by Le Bois, but am looking forward for him to come back this weekend.
Russell has had plenty of time to get his body right and who knows - We may just have a more confident Kym out there.
Guy has tricks but one just can't showcase them without ball in hand. All the best to him.

Or you may be flat out wrong. I don’t drink or do any illegal substances. Ever. I was simply awake. And tired of the usual mindless negativity that I was reading for the 1,000th time.

Debate me on facts Harks. Do your best.

Have a look at my facts and debate them. They're there in black and white.
Have a look and tell me just how well we've done via FA and rookie drafts?

.....and you don't take substances? Maybe you should :) Just kidding......now debate.

Question for those constantly complaining whinging and whining about how badly we need ‘mature aged mids’:

Who are all the mature ages mids who are out there better than Eddie C, Gibbons and Kennedy - none of whom can get a regular run in our midfield? Who are all the mids we passed on with our late picks that are better? Just a brief run down would be good.

SHUT UP
Your right we don't need any more because we have them but won't play them in their preferred position ED or in the side Kennedy .
Yes Kennedy isn't mature age yet but he is a big body who knows how to use his body .

You may be replying to many posts here but isolating the one. That's OK.
I'll also excuse your fuel-filled(?) exuberance after an honourable loss and a scan at our list.

Has SOS done a good job?
1. In terms of doing the deals to get what he wanted - 10/10
2. In terms of draft selections (more of a team effort) - 9/10
3. In terms of Free Agents and rookie draft selections - ????? Let's be nice and just say it's nowhere near a top mark.

You're not going to pull future champions from everywhere and anywhere, but there's a clear drop in results (and effort?) when discussing the #3
For me, it's not even about the misses but rather the types we've gone for and the expense of needs.
We've discussed this before and as far back as 18 months ago and somehow the same results still show up. Wonder why?
Not getting the Free Agents we would dearly love isn’t a fail by SOS. It’s a consequence of where we were. Had he kept the players he traded (Henderson et al) he wouldn’t have got the FA’s either. Why? We’d have stayed rubbish. He has a strong chance NOW of picking up quality FAs because any prospect can see that they are joining the best young list in the comp.

I really find the rookie list stuff laughable. Like just look at how you positioned it. 1,2,3. As if some how they are equivalent. Split 3 into 3 and 4. 3 is free agents. 4 is rookies. 4 matters about 10 percent compared to the rest. Rookies if you get really lucky may provide a couple of depth players.

BUT to be fair I’ll balance up. I haven’t liked some of them myself. I just think we need to put them in context. Perspective. Their importance is far less than I think is generally reflected.

Last edited:
Like the biggest problem on our list is....small forwards. Pick a club. I’ll find ya a weakness. Pick any club. Our weakness is small forward? Who gives a ****.

We ain’t losing because we don’t have small forwards. We are losing because we are SO young. And I’m ******* fine with that.
No we aren't LOSING because of a lack of quality small forwards but I'm tipping if we had a quality small forward or 2 we would be WINNING a little more seeing the difference ?.
Downplay it all you like but it is a key ingredient in all successful sides.
If we are to be successful in future this area will need to be addressed either internally with players stepping up or externally bringing players in .

Look at our next great midfield

Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Dow SPS Fisher Cuningham Walsh O'Brien Stocker Gibbons maybe Lang. Can't fit them all in even using them through the forward line and bench. We will also add at least one more this year

Would definitely look at someone like SPS off HB. Run, creativity and ball use off HB would be a weapon.

Docherty Jones Marchbank
SPS Weitering Williamson (Plowman Newman Macreadie Thomas Simpson) Schumacher Goddard BSOS developing

Looks awesome to me.

Last edited:
Not getting the Free Agents we wild dearly love isn’t a fail by SOS. It’s a consequence of where we were. Had he kept the players he traded (Henderson et al) he wouldn’t have got the FA’s either. Why? We’d have stayed rubbish. He has a strong chance NOW of picking up quality FAs because any prospect can see that they are joining the best young list in the comp.
I really find the rookie list stuff laughable. Like just look at how you positioned it. 1,2,3. As if some how they are equivalent. Split 3 into 3 and 4. 3 is free agents. 4 is rookies. 4 matters about 10 percent compared to the rest. Rookies if you get really lucky may provide a couple of depth players.
BUT to be fair I’ll balance up. I haven’t liked some of them myself. I just think we need to put them in context. Perspective. Their importance is far less than I think is generally reflected.

That's not being fair........just clear of mind.
Nothing more to debate. Our rookie/PSD's/FA's have largely been deplorable and not only because of the names but for the types.
One can ignore it, but I don't think the CFC should. Plenty of gold to be found via rookie drafts.

The only players that have made for any sense to me over the past four years have been LeBois (even though he's been a mile off) and Fasolo (who doesn't look like getting a game right now) One can say ASilvagni and that's a 50/50 for me, but after that........terrible.
EDIT: Wright was good as he was the right type for the right hole.....You see how this works?

Have a look at my facts and debate them. They're there in black and white.
Have a look and tell me just how well we've done via FA and rookie drafts?

.....and you don't take substances? Maybe you should :) Just kidding......now debate.
Ha ha. Fair enough. I did agree. Possibly begrudgingly!

Free agents YES vital but we would never have got them without a full rebuild (too s**t) and we haven’t been able to get them yet because of the rebuild (too young). My bet is that changes this year. If it doesn’t let’s see.

To be fair though MCG while not a FA was an out of contract and he is a ripper. SOS deserves a tonne of credit for that. One MCG quality a year would be amazing.

Rookies, just rookie drafting? Agree. Rubbish picks. Happy? Just accept though that it’s USUALLY not very successful and in my view won’t affect our flags at all.

But yes I’d like a different approach. I’d rather see ya try Stack types than Goddards.

Look at our next great midfield
Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Dow SPS Fisher Cuningham Walsh O'Brien Stocker Gibbons maybe Lang. Can't fit them all in even using them through the forward line and bench. We will also add at least one more this year
Would definitely look at someone like SPS off HB. Run, creativity and ball use off HB would be a weapon.

Docherty Jones Marchbank
SPS Weitering Williamson (Plowman Newman Macreadie Thomas Simpson)

Looks awesome to me.

You really see this don't you?
I don't like it but then again, I didn't like the idea of Yarran going back when he was teamed up with Betts & Garlett forward.

I don't know. I see this imaginary exit-player that can run and kick with precision & penetration........Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back