Certified Legendary Thread Q: Why did Freeman Leave St Kilda? (A: He was delisted)

Should the thread be closed

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I predict that Freeman will be picked up by essendon.... play 5 games..... have a career ending knee injury....... and then get named in the 21st century team of the century....

tell your grandchildren about this post so they can marvel when it all comes to pass....

I wonder how he'd go as a back pocket? Might even help with the chronic injuries if he's running in a straight line more.

That draft cost us a flag. Only 2 players from the top ten haven't played 50 games, go on, guess which 2.

At one stage they were the only 2 players in the top 30 of that draft that hadn't played a single game.

Was more bad luck through injury than bad recruiting of the players ability, or lack of. For needs it’s why we needed, a super quick midfielder and a quality ball user from half back.

No but he dropped down the order for some other injury complaint. Having said that both choices seemed appropriate at the time, I was happy, Schaz was revered among the recruiters and Freezer was exactly what our midfield needed. Dumb bastard luck costing us flags yet again. :mad:

I've never understood why clubs look for what they need in the top 10 or so Draft pick. What makes sense is looking for whoever is the best player or possible gun no matter the position. Gun players are currency that can be used for many purposes including trading a gun to get 2 or more players to fulfill the club's needs. (A much better postiion to be in)

To me it's not rocket science, you pick up the best possible player. (a potential gun, just imagine if we picked up Cripps instead of Freeman)

I've never understood why clubs look for what they need in the top 10 or so Draft pick. What makes sense is looking for whoever is the best player or possible gun no matter the position. Gun players are currency that can be used for many purposes including trading a gun to get 2 or more players to fulfill the club's needs. (A much better postiion to be in)

To me it's not rocket science, you pick up the best possible player. (a potential gun, just imagine if we picked up Cripps instead of Freeman)
I’m a believer in best player first approach unless it’s a virtual tie and then key position or long term need can break the tie.

But!

Sometimes you know you can have a ten year prime key position player over a bit better mid, so decisions must be made.

Overall go for the gun.

The fact that Cripps went at 11 screams out that no club thought he was going to be as good as he is now. It means he was very highly rated but not in the top few.

We certainly grabbed the big steal in Grundy’s year and I’d argue De Goey is the best in his draft year too.

But Cripps would have been very sweet. Or if Bontempelli lasted till our pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a believer in best player first approach unless it’s a virtual tie and then key position or long term need can break the tie.

But!

Sometimes you know you can have a ten year prime key position player over a bit better mid, so decisions must be made.

Overall go for the gun.

The fact that Cripps went at 11 screams out that no club thought he was going to be as good as he is now. It means he was very highly rated but not in the top few.

We certainly grabbed the big steal in Grundy’s year and I’d argue De Goey is the best in his draft year too.

But Cripps would have been very sweet. Or if Bontempelli lasted till our pick.

Thanks for the reply Saintly, I love to get other people's perspective on the matter.
And yeah we've had hits and misses, though the misses are frustrating for me, condersing that maybe the one extra hit in the Draft could've been the different in the 2018 GF.

Thanks for the reply Saintly, I love to get other people's perspective on the matter.
And yeah we've had hits and misses, though the misses are frustrating for me, condersing that maybe the one extra hit in the Draft could've been the different in the 2018 GF.
Absolutely.

That draft with our two picks have hurt. Really hurt.

I’m a big fan of Scharenberg. Grant poise, decision maker and skilled.
His injuries have really hurt us.
Hopefully he’ll return for a strong career.

But it’s hard not to escape thinking about the what if.... Cripps / Bontempelli

Absolutely.

That draft with our two picks have hurt. Really hurt.

I’m a big fan of Scharenberg. Grant poise, decision maker and skilled.
His injuries have really hurt us.
Hopefully he’ll return for a strong career.

But it’s hard not to escape thinking about the what if.... Cripps / Bontempelli
Need to rule out the Bont- he was never available to us. Crouch was a big slider. Considered top 3 at one point. Would love to have known our order in the draft board.

Neither of our two picks were injury prone at the time they were picked.
Both broke down.
If anyone thinks that they could have predicted the misery that these two players would have to endure, then they are in the wrong job. Go make squillions as the Nostradamus of the 21st century.
The picks were valid and on a needs basis.

Need to rule out the Bont- he was never available to us. Crouch was a big slider. Considered top 3 at one point. Would love to have known our order in the draft board.
Yes the Bont was gone by our pick.

My understanding was our pick preference was The Bont, then Scharenberg then Aish.

Caveat: that might be with the realisation that the top few would be gone (Boyd, Kelly, Billings, not sure how they were viewed).

Neither of our two picks were injury prone at the time they were picked.
Both broke down.
If anyone thinks that they could have predicted the misery that these two players would have to endure, then they are in the wrong job. Go make squillions as the Nostradamus of the 21st century.
The picks were valid and on a needs basis.

I don't think need basis should be considered at all, I believe it should ONLY be based on the best player no matter the needs.

I don't think need basis should be considered at all, I believe it should ONLY be based on the best player no matter the needs.

So, for clarification, here is Champion Data’s top 30 predictions for the 2013 draft.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/champi...k=ee7a1dece9321e58b5688381c73ad381-1557743569

Where is Cripps?

Scharenberg #3
Elite intercept player and ball-winning defender. Has the capacity to push into the midfield. Reads the play exceptionally well.

WE SAY: Sliding down the draft order, making him one of the steals of the draft. Queries on feet issues scaring some clubs.

Freeman #17
Unique ability to win clearances and contested footy but can also breakaway with super pace. Hasn't kicked a lot of goals.

WE SAY: Luke Shuey-type would add much-needed speed to Lions onball division.

So best available?
Makes the criteria when Cripps doesn’t get a mention.

So, for clarification, here is Champion Data’s top 30 predictions for the 2013 draft.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/champi...k=ee7a1dece9321e58b5688381c73ad381-1557743569

Where is Cripps?

Scharenberg #3
Elite intercept player and ball-winning defender. Has the capacity to push into the midfield. Reads the play exceptionally well.

WE SAY: Sliding down the draft order, making him one of the steals of the draft. Queries on feet issues scaring some clubs.

Freeman #17
Unique ability to win clearances and contested footy but can also breakaway with super pace. Hasn't kicked a lot of goals.

So best available?
Cripps is mentioned there in the prediction of what clubs would pick . Predicted pick 26 for Cripps (Essendon) and pick 13 for Bont (Carl) . They were way off the mark but Carlton has a win win with Bont predicted and Cripps reality.

Where is Cripps?

Scharenberg #3

Freeman #17

So best available?
Champion data’s rankings are fairly irrelevant in regards to actual draft order. Stats don’t take scope for development etc in to account. I’m fairly sure that seagull Higgins was their number 1 in 2017, and his ceiling is probably slightly better than Blair.

Yeah we were a bit unlucky there.

But to be fair, I think we could have gone Cripps and Scharenberg in hindsight. Still would have walked away with a mid and backman.

Freeman seemed an odd choice even back then given all the talk was us getting Lemon or whatever his name was that Richmond wound up with.

Yeah we were a bit unlucky there.

But to be fair, I think we could have gone Cripps and Scharenberg in hindsight. Still would have walked away with a mid and backman.

Freeman seemed an odd choice even back then given all the talk was us getting Lemon or whatever his name was that Richmond wound up with.
I don’t remember that. I remember a fair bit of talk about McCarthy, lots about the Bont (until we found out the Dogs wanted him @ 4) and plenty of talk around Aish and Scharenberg. There was a bit of noise around Freeman given our need for pace, too, and people assuming that he was going to be the next Dangerfield because he was fast and had the same body shape.

Back