List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to laugh at others recruiting when ours looks ordinary as well. Sounds like we did what they did and tried to trade with Adelaide, we tried to get Boyd on a huge deal and he rejected us, we were the same laughing at a faltering Hawks when it looked like they would give us a top 4 pick, then pretended we didn't care when they improved etc. Carlton have some good kids and if they get a decent coach at some point the could jump us. They have some kids that look very good.

Liam Jones actually looks like an excellent defender these days as well. He cost them pick 46 and some wanted him in the AA conversation last year when he had a bit of a run of form.
Yeah laugh while you can is my advice to people because their not far off being a very good side.

It will be interesting to see what they do this trade/draft period.

I'd put Seb Ross up for trade. He'd have some currency.

His ball use isn't what we need. He can't kick.

We don't have enough strong midfielders right now. Take Seb out, and instead of sometimes his kicking goes astray, it becomes most times we don't get the ball in the first place. Its possible that Langlands, Bytel, Phillips and Paton could be good though.
If Hannebery comes good, and Seb was part of a trade for a Midfielder we could use more , its a possibility.
Would we get a lot more than we'd get from Dunstan?

Particularly, most people , here and at the club, consider Seb a much better player than you do.

We don't have enough strong midfielders right now. Take Seb out, and instead of sometimes his kicking goes astray, it becomes most times we don't get the ball in the first place. Its possible that Langlands, Bytel, Phillips and Paton could be good though.
If Hannebery comes good, and Seb was part of a trade for a Midfielder we could use more , its a possibility.

Particularly, most people , here and at the club, consider Seb a much better player than you do.

Seb isn't a good kick. He misses targets often. That is our biggest problem as a team. You can tell someone to go harder at the ball, but skills are different.

Anyone that keeps missing targets is a liability in the midfield, unless they're just going to handball the ball out every time.

Game after game we build momentum due to pressure only to lose it by butchering the ball. WE NEED GOOD KICKS. Plain and simple.

The fact that Seb is highly regarded by some is good... we might actually get something for him.

I refuse to laugh at others recruiting when ours looks ordinary as well. Sounds like we did what they did and tried to trade with Adelaide, we tried to get Boyd on a huge deal and he rejected us, we were the same laughing at a faltering Hawks when it looked like they would give us a top 4 pick, then pretended we didn't care when they improved etc. Carlton have some good kids and if they get a decent coach at some point the could jump us. They have some kids that look very good.

Liam Jones actually looks like an excellent defender these days as well. He cost them pick 46 and some wanted him in the AA conversation last year when he had a bit of a run of form.

You know Gringo, until recently, I've shared 99% of the same thoughts as you on most things. When things started going to crap we weren't jumping on the sack richo wagon cos we both acknowledged our drafting and trading was the number 1 culprit.

Im also not one to slag players or opp teams, but these blues guys are next level in their delusion and arrogance. Yes they have some good youngsters there. But these guys just lack that will and hunger to win games. They dont have nearly enough mature leaders to instill that 'must win' attitide. Year after year there are always excuses(from their fans, coaches, board, the media) for their poor performances. And people wonder why they struggle to close out games.

What distinguishes us from them i think, is our guys know what its like to be competitive, most had the opportunity to watch Roo and Joey and the level of effort and care they provided each time they took the field. We lost our way last year no question, but signs are atm that they've turned it around. Primarily because the effort is there most games. The Parker pickup has been genius not just because he can play, but his whole story as a mature age recruit, with a young family, just thankful for this lifechanging opportunity to play Afl and earn a decent living. Watching his efforts would surely rub off on some of our players. Shake and remind them not to be complacent. Carlton doesnt have that. They recruited McGov and Fasolo both of who's drive i would question. After a few of their close losses I've noticed their supposed leaders like Thomas and Murphy share laughs with opponents. Casboult perpetually smiling after misses amd mistakes. And it's rubbed off on others, Plowman, O'Brien, etc.

When we recruited Hanners i immediately thought about the time we got Hamill. Whilst i loved Harvs, Burkey and Loewe, Sammy just hit a different level of intensity. I dont reckon the Hayes, Roo, Bj, and crew have 80% of the career they've had without him showing the way early on. Yes Hanners hasnt got on the park yet, but if hes improving standards in training and helping the kids, then at least we will see improvement.

* ive rambled on. ******* Carlton. I dont know how we will go the rest of this year. But at least i can see improvement and effort. The only thing im sure about is that we are still better than them and we have a brighter future as well. And i get great comfort outta that.

If we have to rely on those Four god help us , Langlands hasnt shown enough to suggest he could be a midfielder at AFL level , Bytel could be the pick of the bunch if the back holds up , he told me on the weekend he was going great so thats a start, Phillips is just a runner and iv seen nothing to suggest he could be a mid and Paton although going well looks better suited down back .
Lets face it we really need some quality mids ,

Seb isn't a good kick. He misses targets often. That is our biggest problem as a team. You can tell someone to go harder at the ball, but skills are different.

Anyone that keeps missing targets is a liability in the midfield, unless they're just going to handball the ball out every time.

Game after game we build momentum due to pressure only to lose it by butchering the ball. WE NEED GOOD KICKS. Plain and simple.

The fact that Seb is highly regarded by some is good... we might actually get something for him.
Absolutely.. if you can't kick , you simply can't make it as an AFL player.. With Sen, he has shown he can use the ball by foot, but yes of late he has been poor.

If we have to rely on those Four god help us , Langlands hasnt shown enough to suggest he could be a midfielder at AFL level , Bytel could be the pick of the bunch if the back holds up , he told me on the weekend he was going great so thats a start, Phillips is just a runner and iv seen nothing to suggest he could be a mid and Paton although going well looks better suited down back .
Lets face it we really need some quality mids ,

Guess who got the most centre clearances for the Saints on the weekend. That kind of suggests he IS a mid already. 9 contested possessions isn't so pathetic either. So doing a bit better at footy than Ursain Bolt.
I agree , Phillips is probably more a utility player . But Steven should never have been that inside mid either.

Like i said , if Seb is part of a trade for a gun mid, so be it. ... But otherwise we won't fix our team by getting rid of the players who have SOME ability to win the ball. And that beautiful speedy outside winger everyone always wants , will be crap at the Saints if we have no-one to feed him the ball.

Phillips wasn't bad last week, but how on earth do you manage to register zero tackles when you've clocked up 9 contested and 4 clearances?

Ross also had zero tackles… pretty bizarre stuff. You can't have 2 mids not laying a tackle in 2 hours.

Jamie Cripps had 13 contested and also managed 5 tackles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips wasn't bad last week, but how on earth do you manage to register zero tackles when you've clocked up 9 contested and 4 clearances?

Ross also had zero tackles… pretty bizarre stuff. You can't have 2 mids not laying a tackle in 2 hours.

Jamie Cripps had 13 contested and also managed 5 tackles

When they mark the ball you can't tackle em :(

Regardless of what happens from here we should apply for an end of first round priority pick in this years' draft. The rules give AFL House full discretion over 'exceptional circumstances'.

Between Stevens, Paddy, and Robbo missing basically two full seasons (off the back of an AA40 year) I think we have a case. This is why I wish the club would make an announcement on Paddy - he is never playing another game of AFL football, he has just had too many head knocks; however, if we pretend like he might make a return in 2020 then it fouls up the request for a PP.

If Stuv retires to manage his mental health issues (and good on him if that's what he needs to do) then we should ask for a start of R1 pick.

hmmm, we took more marks and had 25% less tackles :think:
You make a very good point regarding tackles. For a team that prides itself on pressure, we had 10 less tackles than WC.
And, as you rightly point out, we had more marks and we had more disposals than WC. I can't help thinking that if out tackle count was higher, the result would have been much closer. One thing for sure, if we don't heap the pressure on this week, Collingwood will slice us up with their quick ball movement.

Just on Seb.......he knows how to get a lot of the ball, which is the important part (A midfielder with silky foot skills means nothing if your only getting 10 possession a game.) Most of his kicks find the target. Yes..... some of his kicks tumble badly, helicopter, 9 iron, all that stuff, but it's never to late to work on improving your kicking, which I'm sure he is doing. Not a player I would be looking to trade.

So now we begin to see the impact of the mid season draft.....Grigg's retirement won't be the last I reckon and look forward to a fair number who are suddenly out for the season to allow that early mature-ager draft selection opportunity mid-season.

Pressure mounts on Armo, McCartin you would think...

Who else can hit the target often? Seb plays as an inside mid when he is not, all of the ball we get is under pressure, but he has to do most of the work because we don’t have many ready to help types.. so rather than picking on Ross, why don’t we blame the coaching staff for being blind freddy and not fixing the midfield problems we had since Dal, Ball, Goddard and Lenny left.

Who else can hit the target often? Seb plays as an inside mid when he is not, all of the ball we get is under pressure, but he has to do most of the work because we don’t have many ready to help types.. so rather than picking on Ross, why don’t we blame the coaching staff for being blind freddy and not fixing the midfield problems we had since Dal, Ball, Goddard and Lenny left.

It's not about blame. I do blame the club for where our midfield is at, but that's irrelevant. I'm looking at someone to trade that might have some currency, who i honestly believe we can do better than due to his poor disposal.

We need to sort this disposal problem out. For me, anyone who doesn't use the ball well is on the table. It's the only way we're going to eventually challenge for a flag.

Fyfe and Danger have a habit of missing targets as well. If we Lose Seb as well as Steven then we’re in trouble. Even if we wanted to trade him, which I highly doubt we are, he’s more likely to get us a draft pick than an upgrade to a better midfielder.

If Steven leaves, I'm trading our first + whatever we get for Steven to Adelaide for that #1.

Matt Rowell is your Bont, Cripps day one mids

+1

Crows might be keen on Will Gould (SA boy touted top 10 pick). If they think they could get him and a 2nd local lad they may be interested

Still, history shows it is almost unheard of for clubs to trade away pick 1. Reckon we would have to give up massive overs.

Edit:

OR...... crows go after Grundy. They don't want to give up pick 1 for him (even tho he is worth it IMO) ... so, they take our 1st (9ish) and our stuv pick (19ish)

They give 9 and their 2020 1st to pies for a 2nd and Grundy. They keep a presence in or around the end of 1st round this year for a SA kid, they also get the best ruck in the league.. all for pick 1 and their 2020 1st with a 2nd back.

I might be dreamin but i really want Rowell or Anderson!

Last edited:
It's not about blame. I do blame the club for where our midfield is at, but that's irrelevant. I'm looking at someone to trade that might have some currency, who i honestly believe we can do better than due to his poor disposal.

We need to sort this disposal problem out. For me, anyone who doesn't use the ball well is on the table. It's the only way we're going to eventually challenge for a flag.
I get what you are saying.. we’ve been trying to recruit good kicks for a long time now.. webster, white, rice, sinclair, billings.. but the result is still poor.. If you want to get rid of the poor kicks, Geary; Mckenzie and Dunstan woukdn’t get a game.. I might be wrong, the issue is in the engine room. Because we don’t have 2-3 inside mids ala Kennedy, Parker from Swans that can win the ball first then handball effectively to an outside runner, most of our kicks are rushed/under pressure.... Ross is a good kick normally, but under pressure (he has to get the ball himself and then take opponents on to kick it) his kicks are not as effective.. fix the midfield problem (by recruiting hardened bodies and players can actually get their hands on the ball first; kicking is secondary if they can handball well to others, even Clinton Jones was an effective player with us with that wonky kick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back