• 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

• 48: Liam Baker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me if my observations aren't worthy of your greatness.
I'll leave you and your arrogance alone.
No offence mate, but perhaps if you want to have a 'meaningful footy conversation', you probably shouldn't come right out (on an oppos board) and say 'I don't think you can win without Nank'! It just gets everyone's backs up and certainly doesn't make for meaningful discussion!

....just my opinion! :shrug:

For what it's worth, I think you're wrong. I think this game is definitely winnable for us....we just need to play like we did against Freo. Yes, Nank is a loss, but I think it is definitely manageable.....and in case you didn't notice, we don't do so well at centre clearances anyway and still manage to win games!

Like I said....just my opinion!

Last edited:
Gidday Team- Having watched the VFL live over the last 2 and half seasons and watched Garth, Balta, Shai, develop the way they have? I really'' really'' believe that big Ivan is going to impress every one with what he can do, ''no probs''-i made a preseason post on here after the practice games had finished and made comment on Soldo being the huge improver his 2019 season! and stand by it right now [lets see if i'm wrong team]. I also went up to the GC last year to watch us play, and if you can find the replay you will see how well Ivan did filling in for Nank [sore] in his only game-he was 'very' good-and then next week he was out. He does not have to leap, he is strong, bustles and use's his big bulk well to keep the 'opp' ruck off balance and is taking the big grabs well this season-AS has been shown this season, have faith in the men coming up from vfl, they can and ''will'' perform!! Go Tigers.
SPOT ON,couldn't agree any more, like your good self ive watch a lot of the 2s
And really y impressed with big ivy improvements,, he will not let us down

No offence mate, but perhaps if you want to have a 'meaningful footy conversation', you probably shouldn't come right out (on an oppos board) and say 'I don't think you can win without Nank'! It just gets everyone's backs up and certainly doesn't make for meaningful discussion!

....just my opinion! :shrug:

For what it's worth, I think you're wrong. I think this game is definitely winnable for us....we just need to play like with did against Freo. Yes, Nank is a loss, but I think it is definitely manageable.....and in case you didn't notice, we don't do so well at centre clearances anyway and still manage to win games!

Like I said....just my opinion!
Fair enough.
I'm not writing off your chances BTW, simply pointing out the obvious that Nank is a big loss and structurally the most important player in your team.
It does come to a point with injuries where it does tip the scale too far. This season has been one of surprises and it wouldn't surprise me if the Tigers win this week.

Hawthorn are a side that historically and statistically score well from center clearances. If they can get quick ball movement out of the centre they have excellent footskills and are able to hit their passes better than say an Essendon side with Shiel or Heppel who tend to spray or bomb the ball.

Having said that, Hawthorns forward line has been somewhat disfunctional recently. Dropping Roughead is evidence of that.
I believe the key to Richmond winning the game will be your backline which even with injuries has remained strong (except for Naughton - but you played poorly against the Bulldogs and didn't have a matchup for him - not even "Jesus Christ").

The concern I rightly have is that your replacement inexperienced ruck may be torn apart and dominated by McEvoy and Ceglar. This may tip the scales and give Hawthorn more opportunities to have first use of the ball, more centre clearances than would normally be the case against Nank. I hope not. I have read with interest some of the accounts on your board of Soldo's form in the VFL and hope that he can hold his own in the ruck. Around the ground may be another matter.
I am not trying to get your back up by stating that a Hawthorn win is more likely - just my opinion - I appreciate and respect your passion and support for your club.
I am not trying to be a downer. I think you will beat Essendon and Carlton in the following weeks.
It was also good to see Dusty showing some glimpses of returning to form last week. A good performance from him would go a long way to nullifying any perceived advantage that the Hawks have with their rucks.

Last edited:
With all our misfortune with injuries we are still right in the top eight.

Let me posit one unsung hero at the club who has made much of this possible and that is Fly.

View attachment 673585

Hope we manage to keep him
Would love him to take over from Dimma
Definitely one of the blokes opp clubs would be offering a Sr gig too

With all our misfortune with injuries we are still right in the top eight.

Let me posit one unsung hero at the club who has made much of this possible and that is Fly.

View attachment 673585

As a supporter who sees very little VFL, like 1 game per year. In 2017 grand final I could not believe how top heavy the team was. The VFL team just had to try to eke out victories with whatever personnel they had. Too bad if you are too tall (Griff, Maric, Hampson ). And the 2018 final, we had Egg just coming back and not quite fit and still a lot of young talls. Very hard for a coach to deal with all that. Kudos to McRae for developing all the B boys ¬ Baker, Balta, Bolton and the others that will get AFL games this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.
I'm not writing off your chances BTW, simply pointing out the obvious that Nank is a big loss and structurally the most important player in your team.
It does come to a point with injuries where it does tip the scale too far. This season has been one of surprises and it wouldn't surprise me if the Tigers win this week.

Hawthorn are a side that historically and statistically score well from center clearances. If they can get quick ball movement out of the centre they have excellent footskills and are able to hit their passes better than say an Essendon side with Shiel or Heppel who tend to spray the ball.

Having said that, Hawthorns forward line has been somewhat disfunctional recently. Dropping Roughead is evidence of that.
I believe the key to Richmond winning the game will be your backline which even with injuries has remained strong (except for Naughton - but you played poorly against the Bulldogs and didn't have a matchup for him - not even "Jesus Christ").

The concern I rightly have is that your replacement inexperienced ruck may be torn apart and dominated by McEvoy and Ceglar. This may tip the scales and give Hawthorn more opportunities to have first use of the ball, more centre clearances than would normally be the case against Nank. I hope not. I have read with interest some of the accounts on your board of Soldo's form in the VFL and hope that he can hold his own in the ruck. Around the ground may be another matter.
I am not trying to get your back up by stating that a Hawthorn win is more likely - just my opinion - I appreciate and respect your passion and support for your club.
I am not trying to be a downer. I think you will beat Essendon and Carlton in the following weeks.
It was also good to see Dusty showing some glimpses of returning to form last week. A good performance from him would go a long way to nullifying any perceived advantage that the Hawks have with their rucks.
Hey, no problem, I do understand where you're coming from. I also understand where everyone else is coming from....we can be a wild, passionate, one eyed bunch of supporters you know (and rightfully so)! :relaxed:

For what it's worth, I think some of the points you raised are quite valid and do enjoy getting the perspective of oppo supporters on here. Like I said, we can be a bit one eyed over here so having an outside perspective can be quite refreshing.

Hey, no problem, I do understand where you're coming from. I also understand where everyone else is coming from....we can be a wild, passionate, one eyed bunch of supporters you know (and rightfully so)! :relaxed:

For what it's worth, I think some of the points you raised are quite valid and do enjoy getting the perspective of oppo supporters on here. Like I said, we can be a bit one eyed over here so having an outside perspective can be quite refreshing.
Cheers matey.
Great win against Freo too. I was concerned that the Tiges were showing signs of having thrown in the towel with their performance against the Doggies.
Best win I have seen from your boys in a long time.
Having substantial injuries does add a new dimension to supporting your club. Whilst frustrating it is interesting to see how your team adapts to covering its losses and you get to see players on your list that you wouldn't normally see. More gametime, more opportunity for them too.
I had a hell of a ride watching my team play under similar circumstances last year. A Tiger mate of mine said he is getting a similar perverse joy of watching a cobbled together side performing this year. As long as you can see effort and determination in their play you can forgive any shortcomings.
Hope your luck with injuries changes soon. It will be good to see Cotchin return. You have missed his leadership onfield.

Cheers matey.
Great win against Freo too. I was concerned that the Tiges were showing signs of having thrown in the towel with their performance against the Doggies.
Best win I have seen from your boys in a long time.
Having substantial injuries does add a new dimension to supporting your club. Whilst frustrating it is interesting to see how your team adapts to covering its losses and you get to see players on your list that you wouldn't normally see. More gametime, more opportunity for them too.
I had a hell of a ride watching my team play under similar circumstances last year. A Tiger mate of mine said he is getting a similar perverse joy of watching a cobbled together side performing this year. As long as you can see effort and determination in their play you can forgive any shortcomings.
Hope your luck with injuries changes soon. It will be good to see Cotchin return. You have missed his leadership onfield.
Absolutely, I have to admit though as frustrating as it was, I think we needed that loss to WB. It just brought a few things into perspective for us I think and we came out this week firing! I felt this week had a real 2017 feel about it in terms of the pressure we brought and how we played out the game.
Yes, I have really enjoyed watching how we have adapted to the injuries, the young guys are so exciting to watch. It was a real shame to lose Ross though, he looks so solid out there already, and I don't think we've really seen what he could be capable of yet, would have been nice to get a few more games into him, but 'that's footy'!

I genuinely liked a comment by an Essendon fan after the goalpost debacle and they misunderstood.
Crazy because most of my family supports the Dons.
They have been dudded of two wins due to umpiring, Collingwood and Sydney.
If it was Richmond fans, we would be furious.
It is just that Essendon fans have become resigned to failure and do not protest anymore.
Two losses can cost a finals berth.

I suspect Soldo will do well enough that there will be some debate about playing both rucks against sides who warrant it when Nank returns.

We’ve probably got enough running power to afford the luxury and it makes us less vulnerable on several levels. There’s a case to be made for and against if Soldo competes well over the next few weeks - which I’m sure he will.

All rucks are keenly aware how much physical punishment they can absorb and keep backing up at a high level week to week - particularly the largely solo rucks. As happens in all contact sports with individual 1:1 contests, there’s an unspoken agreement on how much you try to sap each other. That’s why finals football is different from H&A, in finals you prepare to give every last bit and leave nothing behind, for rucks H&A is all about body management.

The next few weeks are Soldo’s finals come early, for McEvoy, Bellchambers etc. it’s just another week of a long season to survive.

Coming up against an imposing, fiercely competitive unit like Soldo playing for his career is an assignment that no regular senior ruck would look forward to; they know he’s gonna leave nothing behind, there will be no unspoken agreement to leave a little in the tank for the rest of the season, they’ll have to give everything to match him.

Really looking forward to seeing how it plays out. :thumbsu:

Grigg - send off game in the ruck?

No but I think Soldo plus Balta will be a competitive ruck duo. Put a rocket up Soldo and tell him this is a big month in the context of your career mate and we're backing you in.

From the Herald-Sun re Soldo:

Last week against Frankston Soldo had 114 ranking points, 14 disposals at 100 per cent kicking efficiency, 38 hit-outs, nine hit-outs to advantage and five tackles.

Soldo was awesome last week in the VFL ...huge presence around the ground...blitzed in the ruck...worked hard
Will be solid giving our mids first use
With Balta doing the running work as 2nd tall option when needed
Soldo rests forward giving crumbs to our smalls...I’m fine with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back