Opinion Scott Pendlebury’s exit strategy

How do you reckon Pendles will exit Collingwood?

• Retire a one-club player at the top of his game

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • Retire when body gives up

Votes: 77 54.2%
  • Traded out

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Sacked over drug fuelled sex scandal involving organised crime and an outlaw motorcycle gang

Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Delisted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course Scott Pendlebury will break Michael Tuck’s Boomer Harvey’s * game record ...

... (currently Pendles 286, Harvey 432) ...

... but what do you reckon Pendles’ exit strategy will look like?

(1) First up, how many seasons do you think Pendles has left in him?

He’s currently 31.

His current contract runs out end of 2020 season.

Our previous three captains were Maxwell (retired at 31), Burns (retired at 33) and Buckley (retired at 35)

GAJ and Luke Hodge are currently 35

(2) On the question of the captaincy, should/would there be a succession plan that allows an orderly handover / crossover, like happened with Maxwell -> Pendlebury? Or will Pendlebury exit the captaincy on the day he retires without a succession plan in place like what happened with Buckley -> Burns?

(3) How do you think Pendles will exit Collingwood?

Will he retire at Collingwood when he’s at the top of his game? (eg: Leigh ‘The Anvil’ Brown)
Will he retire at Collingwood when his body has given up and he can give no more? (Eg: N.Buckley)
Will he seek / get traded, Eg: to get the experience of another club environment? (Eg: Hodge, Mitchell)

And for completeness ...

Will he get sacked over some drug fuelled sex scandal involving organised crime and an outlaw motorcycle gang?
Will he get delisted?
Will he leave as a free agent? (Not up with the FA rules, is this an option? Somebody let me know and I’ll add to poll if necessary)

Poll above

(4) What are the considerations of Pendles going to another club?

IIRC, he’s interested in a future in coaching, so maybe he’d benefit from seeing inside another club environment?

Would Collingwood consider trading him out while he still has some value? (Obviously Ed would rather cast Pendles in bronze before he’d allow that to happen, but would / should Collingwood be ruthless in the quest of Premierships if that makes sense?)

Or let him go where he wants to go for peanuts?

Obviously Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge are useful prototypes for this discussion.

* Thanks 35Daicos Pricey97

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge were desperate to play sometime in their career in better looking jumpers.
Anything but poo and wee jumpers.

Scott’s jumper can never be bettered. One club player.

The end.

Last edited:
Of course Scott Pendlebury will break Michael Tuck’s game record ...

... (currently Pendles 286, Tuck 416) ...

He’s currently 31.

Our previous three captains were Maxwell (retired at 31), Burns (retired at 33) and Buckley (retired at 35)

(2) On the question of the captaincy, should/would there be a succession plan that allows an orderly handover / crossover, like happened with Maxwell -> Pendlebury? Or will Pendlebury exit the captaincy on the day he retires without a succession plan in place like what happened with Buckley -> Burns?

Will he retire at Collingwood when he’s at the top of his game? (eg: Leigh ‘The Anvil’ Brown)
Will he retire at Collingwood when his body has given up and he can give no more? (Eg: N.Buckley)
Will he seek / get traded, Eg: to get the experience of another club environment? (Eg: Hodge, Mitchell)

And for completeness ...

Will he get sacked over some drug fuelled sex scandal involving organised crime and an outlaw motorcycle gang?
Will he get delisted?
Will he leave as a free agent? (Not up with the FA rules, is this an option? Somebody let me know and I’ll add to poll if necessary)

Poll above

IIRC, he’s interested in a future in coaching, so maybe he’d benefit from seeing inside another club environment?

Would Collingwood consider trading him out while he still has some value? (Obviously Ed would rather cast Pendles in bronze before he’d allow that to happen, but would / should Collingwood be ruthless in the quest of Premierships if that makes sense)

Obviously Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge are useful prototypes for this discussion.

Succession plan announced after the 2022 flag. Following the 2023 flag, club trying to convince Pendles to be a playing coach rather than coaching from the box in 2024.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I voted for:

Sacked over drug fuelled sex scandal involving organised crime and an outlaw motorcycle gang and a guinea pig.

He's done everything else that you could possibly hope for in an AFL career. This is all he needs to complete his career.

EFA

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely a 1 club player. Will retire on his terms but could conceivably play for another 3-4 seasons. Doubt he'll get close to either Tuck or Harvey but Tony Shaw's Collingwood record will be broken.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm hoping it's

Takes over as lead of the fight against the pony menace, leading the fightback against the Pony King and saving Winterfell The Holden Center from the pony hordes in a last ditch battle, followed by a march on Princess park to burn it to the ground as punishment for tacitly supporting the pony apocalypse in the forlorn hope everyone else will be killed and they can finally win some matches by default.

Side by side - Burn them All

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jokes aside I'd say he has 2-3 years tops. The running game will leave him behind unless he's re-invented as a smaller CHF and quite frankly there's a lot of competition for that spot from taller, younger players.

He is invaluable as a centre player right now but watch the younger brigade come through and burn him for speed in no time flat.

He will bow out in a Buckley-style fashion at the top of his game but at the end of his body's peak performance. He would never suffer an extra year of sub-par performance, way too proud.

He's already mentoring the right players to come up through the ranks. See a dignified, planned and well-executed handover to Taylor Adams with De Goey and Moore as co-captains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jokes aside I'd say he has 2-3 years tops. The running game will leave him behind unless he's re-invented as a smaller CHF and quite frankly there's a lot of competition for that spot from taller, younger players.

He is invaluable as a centre player right now but watch the younger brigade come through and burn him for speed in no time flat.

He will bow out in a Buckley-style fashion at the top of his game but at the end of his body's peak performance. He would never suffer an extra year of sub-par performance, way too proud.

He's already mentoring the right players to come up through the ranks. See a dignified, planned and well-executed handover to Taylor Adams with De Goey and Moore as co-captains.

Explosiveness drops when blokes hit their 30s. There's no reason for endurance to. His days in the centre square are numbered, but if he keeps his endurance up, he could play a role like Tom Phillips for a fair while to come

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Explosiveness drops when blokes hit their 30s. There's no reason for endurance to. His days in the centre square are numbered, but if he keeps his endurance up, he could play a role like Tom Phillips for a fair while to come

Yep, remains our most influential transition player. Until someone takes that mantle from him I doubt he'll get much time away from the midfield rotations.

Pacman Carney

All Australian
Aug 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely a 1 club player. Will retire on his terms but could conceivably play for another 3-4 seasons. Doubt he'll get close to either Tuck or Harvey but Tony Shaw's Collingwood record will be broken.

agree.
pendles will break shawryy record
Sidebottom will break pendles record
then Stephenson will break Sidebottom record
then..... i'll be dead so I don't know

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
agree.
pendles will break shawryy record
Sidebottom will break pendles record
then Stephenson will break Sidebottom record
then..... i'll be dead so I don't know
So you’re aiming for another 15 years or so.

I’m sure you can push on from there....

Pendles strikes me as more like a ruthless pragmatist rather than a hopeless romantic.

If he truly aspires to a career in coaching then he’d likely benefit from seeing the inside workings of another club, particularly given that he’s only been coached by two coaches.

It was probably a limitation of Buckley’s education (A year at the Bears as a first year player hardly counts).

Would there be value to him playing under a different coach? (Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge)

Or would working behind the scenes be enough? (Nick Maxwell at GWS, although Nick’s aspirations are more in the business management side than coaching side)

Additionally, would he see value in playing interstate? Particularly before his kid reaches school age?

My guess ...

- The captaincy will move onto Steele Sidebottom at the start of 2020
- Pendles will play the 2020 season at Collingwood which would take him until the end of his current contract
- BTW, that will allow him to overtake Tony Shaw’s club record
- Pendles then to play one maybe two more seasons at another club, a Qld or NSW club.

Last edited:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Of course Scott Pendlebury will break Michael Tuck’s Boomer Harvey’s * game record ...

He’s currently 31.

And for completeness ...

Will he get delisted?

Poll above

Would Collingwood consider trading him out while he still has some value? (Obviously Ed would rather cast Pendles in bronze before he’d allow that to happen, but would / should Collingwood be ruthless in the quest of Premierships if that makes sense?)

Life is complicated. Like Jesus said about himself.... let's just enjoy him while we got him..

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope so..... 15 more years, 72..... fingers crossed.

one thing is certain, i wont see the younger Buckley break Stevo game record!
Why not?
Sounds a good thing for your later years.

He’s currently 31.

And for completeness ...

Will he get delisted?

Poll above

I admire Pendles and have also been critical this season at the start of the year and been proven wrong which is fine.
But you use the Term Trade and i am not sure what value we would get and that all comes back to Scott and the path he wishes to go down.
In an ideal world Pendles retires on his own terms and sadly this time is close,Just being real.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
Seriously though he’s contracted next year. We have players that will need to “get paid” can anyone else see him playing 2021 , 2022 on masively reduced salary

Back