Charlie Payne

Senior List
Sep 11, 2016
Safety Beach Country Club
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
So I was walking down the street and I saw a Maggot so I shot him.

Cops pull me over and told that is against the rules. I said that the rules allow me some discretion. So they let me go.
confused.png

As mentioned elsewhere we have a maggot in the family (by marriage I hasten to add) and he told my brother that the AFL have given him discretion regarding the Rampe incident. Never mind a free kick is the difference between 0 or 4 points. And of course he happens to barrack for the AFL Lovechild #1.

And of course, their Irishman getting a BS 50, and running deliberately into Smith to get a reaction, causing another 50??? All good of course in AFLSSR.

Funny isn’t it. The “Saga” stain is a gift that keeps on giving or not. Having Collingwood, Geelong and Swans is “good for Footy”. Can’t have those drug “cheats” on our Finals is the thoughts from the General Secretary Gillon.
rage.png

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing but a token fine, $1000 fully suspended. This whole situation is farcical, from the non free kick and the support of Kennedy and Gil and now a token fine for something the power brokers gave the all clear to.

The League is run by idiots that constantly take the piss out of supporters. Can't wait to see the back of Gil, trouble is, the next muppet won't be any better.

May 8, 2018
Shanghai
AFL Club
Essendon
Treleor & Reiwoldt on 360 both agree it was 100% a free kick & pointed out that that Irish fella playing the game for 4 years knew it was a free. Anyway it'll all be forgotten shortly when the AFL embarrass themselves again with the next inane controversy.
True, but can they please leave us out of the next one for a change :huh:

So I was walking down the street and I saw a Maggot so I shot him.

Cops pull me over and told that is against the rules. I said that the rules allow me some discretion. So they let me go.
confused.png

As mentioned elsewhere we have a maggot in the family (by marriage I hasten to add) and he told my brother that the AFL have given him discretion regarding the Rampe incident. Never mind a free kick is the difference between 0 or 4 points. And of course he happens to barrack for the AFL Lovechild #1.

And of course, their Irishman getting a BS 50, and running deliberately into Smith to get a reaction, causing another 50??? All good of course in AFLSSR.

Funny isn’t it. The “Saga” stain is a gift that keeps on giving or not. Having Collingwood, Geelong and Swans is “good for Footy”. Can’t have those drug “cheats” on our Finals is the thoughts from the General Secretary Gillon.
rage.png

I find it funny that Devon Smith gets zero warning. Additional 50m paid against instantly and a goal for Sydney.

Rampe gets a warning, told to get off goal post. No free kick to Essendon which should have been an Essendon goal.

Such horse s**t. And the AFL wonder why they need to change culture towards umpires? Here’s an idea. Call a fair game you bunch of campaigners.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-14/aflpa-concerned-over-excessive-rampe-fines

Now the AFLPA getting in on it, claiming the 'little girl' comment was an excessive fine considering good behaviour and contrition after the fact, should have been a smaller fine. Probably right about that but :shrug:

But the bit I like best;

After initially clearing Rampe of any wrongdoing in Friday night's Swans win against Essendon at the SCG, and again on Saturday morning, the AFL on Monday issued him with a 'please explain' letter relating to his scaling of a goal post as Bomber David Myers kicked for goal after the final siren, and also for words directed at a field umpire.

"The sanction for climbing the goalpost is puzzling given the AFL’s position that this action was not even worthy of a free kick during the game."

😅

I find it funny that Devon Smith gets zero warning. Additional 50m paid against and a goal for Sydney.

Rampe gets a warning. No free kick which should have been an Essendon goal.

Such horse ****. And the AFL wonder why they need to change culture towards umpires. Here’s an idea. Call a fair game you bunch of campaigners.
They just need to remove all the 'grey interpretation' BS they have added to fluff out the rules.

Nice backhanded slap.

The w***er deserves every cent of it.

He knew god damn well he was deliberaltey shaking the post and neither him or his shitful coach have the balls to admit it.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
I find it funny that Devon Smith gets zero warning. Additional 50m paid against instantly and a goal for Sydney.

Rampe gets a warning, told to get off goal post. No free kick to Essendon which should have been an Essendon goal.

Such horse ****. And the AFL wonder why they need to change culture towards umpires? Here’s an idea. Call a fair game you bunch of campaigners.
Everyone is forgetting Rampe not returning the ball when asked, as well. Ignoring an instruction from an umpire and pretending he didn’t have the ball in his hand when he stood up.
That’s another 50m penalty.
Add them up and it does start to look like we’d be a couple of goals up.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
the whole thing is a mess in every direction bar Essendon's, who can't do much other than inquire as to what the hell happened. it would be nice if Hocking took some questions on it. He hid after ANZAC day when umpires got lambasted in every direction (note: I felt the umpires got most of the decisions that upset Essendon fans so I felt Hocking should have stood up) and he's hiding now. (when the umpire has clearly bottled it).

it's Tuesday and it's still unclear to me what the AFL's answer to the question "what decision should have been made?" is

Rampe's fines are clearly ridiculous, the normal processes (MRP officer judging it) have been ignored without any announcement, and the fine amount is much greater than the MRP guidelines for umpire abuse offense.

the more this goes on the more it becomes similar to the Swans trading ban after the Buddy signing; things being done left, right and center based on the vibe instead of the rules which are very black and white in this case.

So what we should all now celebrate is Channel 7's ability to turn a coverage into being about it's commentary team for, of all reasons, botching the pronunciation of a player's name having not even asked the player what he likes to be called.

My theory about Channel 7's coverage is that Roy Masters and a few other NRL douche bags employ a Russian troll farm to endorse the coverage, make suggestions and complete surveys.

Well played Roy.

Tbf, this really only picked up a head of steam from being a jokey thing (on the Friday night) to something a bit more serious after Taylor's ridiculous quote on Saturday

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-14/aflpa-concerned-over-excessive-rampe-fines

Now the AFLPA getting in on it, claiming the 'little girl' comment was an excessive fine considering good behaviour and contrition after the fact, should have been a smaller fine. Probably right about that but :shrug:

But the bit I like best;

😅
Of course they went heavy on the fine. Allowed them to go easy on the other fine so it could be dismissed as no big deal, and still achieve the overall result they wanted.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It's telling that the umpiring department/afl have declared it wasn't a free kick, while Roos said on the couch* that a player told him umpires informed prior to a game on Saturday that if another was to do the same thing it would be a free kick and report.

Also shoutout to Rampe for 'explaining' he had no idea what he was thinking before seconds later saying it definitely wasn't his intention to shake the post.

*It was a weak moment

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s not that we lost that annoys me, we played like s**t. It’s the inconsistency in application and the AFL doing its usual ‘move along, nothing to see here’ thing, when it was clearly spotted by the umpire and clearly should have been a free kick.

Missing a free because they’re on the wrong angle, or having a 50:50 call go the other way, is very different to telling a player explicitly not to do what they’re doing and then not awarding the free.

All the more ridiculous given that 100m penalty against Smith, and Rampe having 3 distinct moments in the game where they should have paid frees against him but they didn’t. All of which the umpires were 100% aware of his actions.

Not returning the ball directly to the player, but instead putting it on the ground after being asked and feigning throwing it. Free kick.

Umpire abuse. Free kick.

Shaking the post. Free kick.

Why even bother with rules or umpires if you’re not going to apply them when you see the incident. These weren’t missed, the umpire was interacting with Rampe on each occasion.

This whole ‘feel of the game’ or ‘players intention’ is nonsense. Either pay the free because the rule has been contravened, or don’t pay the free. Don’t pick and choose when to pay it in the exact same circumstances.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the AFL low-key wish the free-kick was paid as it is easier to defend it. They've backed themselves into a corner that's proving hard to manoeuver out of.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Tbf, this really only picked up a head of steam from being a jokey thing (on the Friday night) to something a bit more serious after Taylor's ridiculous quote on Saturday

Except it was based on a comment by Heppell when Fantasis has consistently confirmed the appropriateness of the use of anglacised version of his name. Of course BT knew that.

Fantasia says that he uses the anglacised pronunciation. Which is pretty standard.

I'd have some inclination to give 7 the benefit of the doubt if the mo of the commentary was about the game and not about themselves.

Think the captain should have remonstrated with the umpires more ‘vigorously’ at the time Rampe was shaking the post and made a bigger scene of it. Umpires would have conferred and maybe even paid the penalty?

Can’t think of any other pro sport in the world where an official blatantly ignores the rules. A shambles

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
It’s not that we lost that annoys me, we played like ****. It’s the inconsistency in application and the AFL doing its usual ‘move along, nothing to see here’ thing, when it was clearly spotted by the umpire and clearly should have been a free kick.

Missing a free because they’re on the wrong angle, or having a 50:50 call go the other way, is very different to telling a player explicitly not to do what they’re doing and then not awarding the free.

All the more ridiculous given that 100m penalty against Smith, and Rampe having 3 distinct moments in the game where they should have paid frees against him but they didn’t. All of which the umpires were 100% aware of his actions.

Not returning the ball directly to the player, but instead putting it on the ground after being asked and feigning throwing it. Free kick.

Umpire abuse. Free kick.

Shaking the post. Free kick.

Why even bother with rules or umpires if you’re not going to apply them when you see the incident. These weren’t missed, the umpire was interacting with Rampe on each occasion.

This whole ‘feel of the game’ or ‘players intention’ is nonsense. Either pay the free because the rule has been contravened, or don’t pay the free. Don’t pick and choose when to pay it in the exact same circumstances.
Is it anti-Dons bias?

I think the AFL low-key wish the free-kick was paid as it is easier to defend it. They've backed themselves into a corner that's proving hard to manoeuver out of.
Nah it's easy. Just go to ground and provide other distractions if possible until the next games start and everybody will forget about it. Except us. But we're just a small fraction of the total football supporting number so we're easy to ignore. Just hope somebody else gets ****ed over next and not us again. This sport is becoming an absolute farce.

Could you imagine if shoe was on the other foot, Sydney and Longmire would be in tears demanding action.

Woosha’s right, this isn’t the same as a missed free kick during a game. In this case the umpire knew there was an infringement but made a choice not to pay it which is ridiculous

Back