Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy birthday to Gary Ablett Jnr (little master), who was born on the 14th of May, 1984, today he turns 35 years old! Ablett has played 329 matches and kicked 418 goals so far in his brilliant career. He was drafted with pick 40 in 2001 draft picks, under the father and son rule. Ablett played junior football with the Modewarre Football Club until he was chosen to play for the Geelong Falcons in the Under 18 TAC Cup competition in 2000. Ablett's selection was met with controversy, as some families of other prospective junior players felt Ablett was chosen on the basis of his famous family heritage rather than football talent. However, the Falcons' football manager Michael Turner repeatedly dismissed speculation. Nonetheless, Ablett showed spectators of what he could bring to the table by receiving the mid-year State honours for Vic Country during the 2001 National Championships. After spending one year in the TAC Cup. In his first season he played 12 matches, he played every match up to round 10, then had a stint in the VFL, before returning back in round 17 and 18. He made his debut in round 1 against Essendon and kicked his first goal in his career against North Melbourne in round 3. He was 17, when he made his debut. In 2003, Ablett would improve himself as a small dangerous forward. He would play 22 matches and kicked 26 goals. His disposal of the ball was exciting to watch and was one of the few positives of 2003 for the cats, with Ablett showing a massive future ahead. In 2007, Ablett went from superstar to a master, before we even knew, what he could bring. He became the talk of the competition with his dangerous pace and efficiency when going forward. Became more as a permanent midfielder and in every stat category his numbers went up sufficiently, more than 10% for some! He was ranked No.1 for inside 50s in the completion from 25 matches. He scored more goals than any other player who average 25 disposals or more! Was equal 10th in the league for score assists and was involved 197 H&A score chains, the start of Legends! Ablett would win his first premiership alongside his brother and teammates in the cats first one since 1963. Ablett almost archived every single individual award in the completion including his first AFLCA, Leigh Matthews Trophy, All Australian and Best and fairest. In 2008, Ablett would yet again take his game to another level by playing 21 matches, kicking 26 goals, winning his second Leigh Matthews Trophy, second All Australian honour and his second AFLCA! He was the number 1 champion data player in 2008, averaging the second most disposals, but most importantly, the most effective disposals per game. He was the third most contested possession player and the most inside 50s. Probably should of won the Brownlow medal, when looking at the stats and should of definitely won the Norm Smith Medal, after finishing second in a impressive performance in the losing Grand Final side. In 2009, Ablett described his pre season, was the “best one he has had in his career!” And Ablett took it to another level by winning his first ever Brownlow medal, second premiership, second Best and fairest, third straight AFLCA and All Australian. Was clearly the best player in the competition at the time and was possibly the greatest player of the time. He averaged 34 disposals a match and had over 40 disposals on six occasions throughout the season! Ablett was just as good in the Grand Final, by setting up the Paul Chapman snap goal, when Ablett kicked long to the top of goal square, after Matthew Scarlett toe-poked to the little master. He finished up with 25 disposals and a goal in the wet conditions. In 2010, Ablett would somehow go up another level by finishing again in top 3 Brownlow count and playing 24 matches, and kicked a season high 44 goals. Had only 1 match when he collected less than 20 disposals, while 17 matches, he collected over 30 disposals! In some what ways, he should of won the Brownlow medal, after yet again being in career high form. After the disappointing finals exit in 2010, Ablett finally confirmed that he was joining the Gold Coast Suns in what was understood to be a multimillion-dollar deal, for 5 years. In 2011, Ablett was named the inaugural captain of the Suns and go on and have another fantastic season. He easily won the Sun’s best and fairest, he also won his fourth All Australian honour. Incredible, in 2012, Ablett went from strength to strength by averaging the second most disposals 33.8 disposals. Had over seven occasions when he collected over 40 disposals, including a record 53 disposals against Collingwood in round 10. Won his sixth consecutive All Australian, fourth AFLCA and leading the Sun’s goal kicking with 26 goals in 20 matches. In 2013, Gary Ablett became the greatest player in the era and possibly in history by winning his second Brownlow medal with the Gold Coast Suns. Not only that but he also won his seventh consecutive All Australian

If you tried zones in the days of Gaz snr and Plugger leading up the ground like a stream trains on the rails they would run straight through you.

Occasionally they'd get reported for charging, not many defenders volunteered to be the next victim though.
Zones and team defence spelled the death of the purely leading forward targets like Plugger and Dunstall (lesser extent Ablett snr as he had many strings to his bow). The main defender tries to force a wrestle (so a team-mate can come over the top and mark) or put pressure on the lead, a second player will get in the way of the lead early to stop momentum or change the direction, the third player takes an easy intercept mark if the kick is even slightly less than perfect. Just an example, and no one has to get hit by a Plugger steam train. If you've only got one trick, teams figure you out very quickly.

An example today is Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy (WC) and Ben Brown, who are all great leading forwards of the modern era. But the thing that makes them great is that they lead and re-lead, moving laterally as well as straight up and down the ground in order to create space where there was none.

I know about the flags but I assumed Carey was the reason for them given you stated that in your post. He wasn't though given Grant and Archer won the NS medal in those premierships.

You see, Geelong had a very ordinary side in the late 80's and early 90's but we kept contending due to a good midfield and the best player of all time up forward.

That 89 finals series is as good a final series as you'll ever see from one player. Almost won an ordinary side a premiership off his own boot.
Tim Darcy was Full-back FFS

The difference is:

Ablett is the best midfielder EVER not just of his generation.

Franklin is the best forward of his generation but not ever.

Doesn’t matter if there’s another gun from your generation if you’re the best in that position (and of any position) ever. All it shows is if Franklin is the best of his generation but not close to the best forward ever is the fact that Ablett Junior is playing against MORE competition when there’s more competition in his generation and he’s still the best of any.

I think you could make an argument for Franklin being one of the best ever. So hard to compare forwards across different eras, but Buddy's dominance in comparison to his modern-day counterparts should be considered.

LOL don't kid yourself son.
Senior had the other two covered. Passed 1000 spending at least 2/3 of his career as either a wingman or HFF.

Has Plugger, Chief and Duck covered.
Come back when you have the right opinion :thumbsu:

Cool story.

And before you son me, how old are you?

He may be the best ever - these assessments are largely subjective.

For me though, the question as to why he was overlooked for the captaincy at Geelong puts a question mark over his team ethics and thus whether he is someone who capably leads - and without being a great leader, I don't think he is automatically the best ever. The best people to decide that are the people you spend the most time with and they clearly didn't rate him as the best leader at the club, irrespective of his footy ability.

Being captain of the Suns in their embryonic days is one thing - being captain of an established footy club with high standards is another thing altogether.

For that reason, I rate other players more highly or at the least his equal overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me though, the question as to why he was overlooked for the captaincy at Geelong puts a question mark over his team ethics and thus whether he is someone who capably leads - and without being a great leader, I don't think he is automatically the best ever. The best people to decide that are the people you spend the most time with and they clearly didn't rate him as the best leader at the club, irrespective of his footy ability.

Being captain of the Suns in their embryonic days is one thing - being captain of an established footy club with high standards is another thing altogether.

For that reason, I rate other players more highly or at the least his equal overall.

Oh ffs.

So Mark Taylor is a better cricketer than Shane Warne.

Good to know.

Oh ffs.

So Mark Taylor is a better cricketer than Shane Warne.

Good to know.

This proves my point exactly, so thanks.

I am not discounting his achievements - I am suggesting that there are additional metrics which I consider valuable in the discussion.

You don't, that's fine - neither of us is required to agree with the other, so just deal with it and move on.

This proves my point exactly, so thanks.

I am not discounting his achievements - I am suggesting that there are additional metrics which I consider valuable in the discussion.

You don't, that's fine - neither of us is required to agree with the other, so just deal with it and move on.

The question isn’t about those qualities though.
You don’t need to be a captain to lead.
Who gives a s**t if one other guy at the footy club was regarded as being better suited to the job.

Maybe he should have just f***ed a teammate’s missus and led from the front that way to enhance his standing. That helps clubs I’m told.

The question isn’t about those qualities though.
You don’t need to be a captain to lead.
Who gives a **** if one other guy at the footy club was regarded as being better suited to the job.

Maybe he should have just f***ed a teammate’s missus and led from the front that way to enhance his standing. That helps clubs I’m told.

I think when you are talking the best ever that it has value.

You don't, that's no problem.

I do.

He wasn't "overlooked" for the captaincy at Geelong. He just happened to be playing in a team that at that time was blessed with leadership - Tom Harley, Cameron Ling and Joel Selwood.

But back on topic, the OP is not about the best person or best captain, but best player. On your logic, Buddy is out of the picture, but Ablett Senior (who was captain of Geelong at one stage) is still eligible?

He wasn't "overlooked" for the captaincy at Geelong. He just happened to be playing in a team that at that time was blessed with leadership - Tom Harley, Cameron Ling and Joel Selwood.

But back on topic, the OP is not about the best person or best captain, but best player. On your logic, Buddy is out of the picture, but Ablett Senior (who was captain of Geelong at one stage) is still eligible?

Sure. And that position is one which even die hard Cats' fans ITT have put forward, that Senior > Junior.

As I say, when talking about the best ever, everything that makes up a player needs to be on the table.

It seems everyone has a different criteria for how they decide the greatest player of all time. For me, it’s the first player you would choose if you lined all of them up to pick a side.

For mine, Ablett doesn’t have the leadership qualities and he can’t swing a game when everyone around him is struggling.

Carey, Voss and Hird are the 3 best I have seen in the flesh by the above criteria, and it’s probably Selwood and Franklin way ahead of Ablett if I’m lining them all up to select a team based on the last 20 years.

Since about 2007 I always got the sense that GAJ was about what a football team could do for him (his game). In his prime his number 1 priority appeared to be to rack up a million possessions a game and catch the maggots' eyes hoping to pick up 3 votes for the Brownlow.

Whereas genuine champions are always thinking about what they can do for their teams/teammates and get them involved in the game. They don't seem to be overly preoccupied wih their personal stats during a game and go about doing what's necessary to help the team win even if it means sacrificing their own stats.

This older version of GAJ though is now back to focusing (gathering less possessions being up forward) on what's in the best interest of the team instead of his.

So difficult to compare the game now as to when i started watching it with my dad and the same with players from different era's.
OK I'm a bit passe at regards football, but i like to see good honest tough football from honest players.

Leigh Matthews is better
When Garry kicks 11 and has 41 possessions he might have a claim to be equal to the best ever, until then, no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back