Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have midfield talent no doubt. But without some mature aged stars to help them, they will struggle.

Coniglio would be great, but I just don't see it happening unless we can win 10 games this year (which won't happen).

What about Tom Phillips? Not that he's a star, but could be a decent option.

We already have the stars in the making, they just need time. We need durable, tough role players and or players with burst speed that can hit targets

surely the argument is moot? how do you know any of Lyons, Barlow, Darcy Fort etc, would 1. make the slightest difference 2. get out of the nbs 3. even be required? this "if we had them now" stuff is total fantasy - we work with what we have, any idea that what we don't have is the answer is cray cray for mine

My take on it is basically you draft a development player eg Ben Silvagni, Finbar, TDK etc. Knowing that they will not be AFL ready for 2-3 years for argument sake.

If you already have a number of talented kids that might need to be rested etc and some senior players with injury issues in specific positions eg the Ruck with Kruzer and Phillips.

It is negligent from a list management perspective to not have some 24-28 senior bodies that can fill a gap/protect the kids.

Just my take on it because looking at players some weeks that should be in the VFL but having noone in the VFL to fill the position is frustrating.

I just think some of our late and rookie picks could have been used for insurance for injury/young bodies and not more long term development players.

Pickett out for the year and i gotta say, is looking pretty out of shape in that indigenous jumper photo on the club website.

I'd like to give him one more year under Russell and hopefully injury free but wouldn't be surprised if we cut him. Maybe demote him to rookie.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-14/carlton-unveil-indigenous-guernsey-

He looks okay to me. Better than I have seen him. Might be a chance to stay

Really like the jumper. Looks good

My take on it is basically you draft a development player eg Ben Silvagni, Finbar, TDK etc. Knowing that they will not be AFL ready for 2-3 years for argument sake.

If you already have a number of talented kids that might need to be rested etc and some senior players with injury issues in specific positions eg the Ruck with Kruzer and Phillips.

It is negligent from a list management perspective to not have some 24-28 senior bodies that can fill a gap/protect the kids.

Just my take on it because looking at players some weeks that should be in the VFL but having noone in the VFL to fill the position is frustrating.

I just think some of our late and rookie picks could have been used for insurance for injury/young bodies and not more long term development players.
sure but every game we get into the fledglings is another closer to them being those hardened, seasoned players - the losses continue but the wins approach on the horizon - only the stubbornly unsatisfied would be spending too much time retrospectively drafting now............no point......

We already have the stars in the making, they just need time. We need durable, tough role players and or players with burst speed that can hit targets

Exactly - in the making.

Until they reach their potential, they will need better support than Cripps and Kruze who play a lone hand in that.

As for players with burst speed who can hit a target, who could we recruit with those attributes?

Tough role players, anyone in mind you want us to chase?

He looks okay to me. Better than I have seen him. Might be a chance to stay

Really like the jumper. Looks good
repeat post - just once do you think Hyundai could get the **** out of the way and let the message shine? alone? it's basically been defaced.........

Exactly - in the making.

Until they reach their potential, they will need better support than Cripps and Kruze who play a lone hand in that.

As for players with burst speed who can hit a target, who could we recruit with those attributes?

Tough role players, anyone in mind you want us to chase?

Plenty that are FA this year and given how the landscape has changed, wouldn't surprise me if 2020 FA are also targeted. Some have one or all those attributes

Pass on Brodie.Cant get a game hasn’t established himself yet and we need mature senior players not anymore young players,we have an abundance.

Scrimshaw couldn’t get a game, hadn’t established himself and supposedly didn’t have a position, was traded for FA and now he’s a regular for the hawks.

My point was, will he be as cheap and could he have similar output? If we trade in experiences olayers, he would be a good target so as to not miss out on good youth.

Also not overly young.
What? Hope? Do you watch closely? Honestly WHAT? Setterfield is playing with zero preseason. You get that right? Started joining the full training in like Feb. missed a year of footy. Has no conditioning behind him at all. It’s incredible he is playing afl. And yet he’s hard at it, chases, clean hands and his disposal is getting better.

I’m stunned. I’m not sure there’s a young player other than Walsh I’m more confident in. Just needs to get through the year. Then big preseason. Then next year will be a huge lift. Then again big preseason and he’s an AA.
Bank on it.

I think your post totally supports my point. All the excuses Will has are valid, that doesn’t change that he has only played 4 AFL games and in 2 of those he looked totally off the pace.

So it seems your basing your support on Setterfield making it on hope, or going of his body of work as a junior.

By the way, I’ve never suggested I don’t rate him, I just hate the argument that we can’t target players a,b,c because we have Setterfield. There is no guarantee he turns in to a gun.

Pickett out for the year and i gotta say, is looking pretty out of shape in that indigenous jumper photo on the club website.

I'd like to give him one more year under Russell and hopefully injury free but wouldn't be surprised if we cut him. Maybe demote him to rookie.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-14/carlton-unveil-indigenous-guernsey-
Amazing how he and doc miss similar footy through injury. Doc is as lean and as fit as you could get while picket just adds cms by the day. Big difference in professionalism.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is dribble. It’s the worst piece of analysis I’ve ever seen. To bracket players like TDK and Ben S as you have is a joke. You create a long list of Cats players as if they are all good- I wouldn’t have MOST of those guys. Menegola is C grade. Whylie Buzza? Are you for real? Constable is as slow as a wet week. Narkle? I mean do you just throw any old name in to make the list longer?

Mathematically the probability of success is demonstrated by the historical success of players picked at different ranges of the draft. This success is converted mathematically into the Points system that is used for father son and academy selections.

It’s therefore a comprehensive and factual representation. You need 3 third round picks to equate to one late first rounder.

Better eg? You need about TEN late picks (say around 60) to give you the value and probability of a mid first rounder.

SO the reason we do poorly with late picks is because ON AVERAGE OVER TIME all clubs do.

The fact we have Setterfield Kennedy McGovern Marchbank Plowman TDK Williamson Macreadie (I’ve hope for) Jack and Ben Silvagni Cuningham Fisher (if you’re throwing in Kelly as evidence I’m throwing in Cunners and Fish) Gibbons and Newman without a single top 20 pick amongst them being used is enormous credit to sos and BETTER ThAN AVERAGE.

Have there been errors? Of course. Most late picks and rookie players- bar far and away most - do not make it.

Which btw sos knows. Which is why he trades his late picks and often second rounders. Gets bagged on here for trading second rounders for MCG. Anyone bagging him for that on Saturday? Yeah didn’t think so.

Late picks don’t work. Which is why sos traded out players for early picks. Giving him any credit for that? Cc? McKay? Yeah didn’t think so.

He’s put together the best 24 and under list in the history of the afl. Yep. Best ever.

And we whinge.

SHUT UP.

Lost me at Menegola is C grade.

Agree with you regarding Pickett, likewise Garlett both should be onlu be retain as rookies ands , if Le Bois shows zilch for another year again he should be delisted.

Hilarious that this **** continues. Happy with him on the weekend? I wonder if poor old Tom Phillips has copped this **** week in week out? They play the EXACT same role - outside wing. Look up their stats. Almost identical. Murph is the least of our problems. But hey, let’s focus on him again and again and again.

Your posting this past day is pretty poor to be honest.

Have a read of what you quoted. Have another look. IF MURPHYS POOR FORM CONTINUES. It seems you miss the point of nearly every poster you reply to.

No player at Carlton is above getting dropped. If Murphy or anyone lse for that matter continue to perform to poor standards then they should be dropped, regardless of status.

Are you going to go searching through peoples posting history ever time someone has a good game and have a whinge about it?

I missed the game on the weekend so I can’t comment on Marc’s game, if he played well, great, I hope it continues. Up until now he hasn’t been going well, he might be finding the ball but that doesn’t mean he has been playing well.

Look at our next great midfield

Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Dow SPS Fisher Cuningham Walsh O'Brien Stocker Gibbons maybe Lang. Can't fit them all in even using them through the forward line and bench. We will also add at least one more this year

Would definitely look at someone like SPS off HB. Run, creativity and ball use off HB would be a weapon.

Docherty Jones Marchbank
SPS Weitering Williamson (Plowman Newman Macreadie Thomas Simpson) Schumacher Goddard BSOS developing

Looks awesome to me.

You seem quite bullish on Kennedy and have probably seen him play ha lot more than I, so. Where he at? Is it fitness or does Bolton or match committee not think he works with structure?

I’m fairly concerned that with our start to the year, our injuries that he hasn’t played. He is suppose to be part of the future but seems on the outer.

If it’s fitness, how long does he need to play VFL before we start getting concerned about why he’s not getting picked.

You seem quite bullish on Kennedy and have probably seen him play ha lot more than I, so. Where he at? Is it fitness or does Bolton or match committee not think he works with structure?

I’m fairly concerned that with our start to the year, our injuries that he hasn’t played. He is suppose to be part of the future but seems on the outer.

If it’s fitness, how long does he need to play VFL before we start getting concerned about why he’s not getting picked.

Personally on currently team balance I want Kennedy in, he may not be our best runner but if he can improve our clearance numbers and get the ball forward then it certainly makes up up for it.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2019-fa-targets.1210090/#post-59080139

You could also add a host of OOC players (not up to speed with who has been re-signed, Knight, Lewis Taylor, Robertson, Cutler, Max Lynch, Elliot, Phillips, Langdon, Crossley, Sam Gray, Amon, Bolton, Butler, Mcintosh, Zak Jones, Daniel etc etc. Plenty that could add to the short term, some longer

Tomlinson's been a target for years. I'd like to finally get him in Navy Blue too.

Harry Cunningham, another good option.

Doubt they'd be let go as FA's though.

Grundy isn't happening. No way McChins will allow him to go anywhere.

I'm willing to pack it in on Pickett and Garlett both were highly touted first round picks who have spent time at two clubs. I'd rather a guy out of the state leagues hungry for a chance at league football. Appears the Coburg small forward Sam Lowson is the popular elect ahead of the mid-season draft.

Tomlinson's been a target for years. I'd like to finally get him in Navy Blue too.

Harry Cunningham, another good option.

Doubt they'd be let go as FA's though.

Grundy isn't happening. No way McChins will allow him to go anywhere.

GWS and Swans have minimal control, our cap could comfortably handle anything their clubs could realistically offer.

As for Grundy, I did state it was unlikely, but as we saw with Shiel last year, anything could happen, especially how player driven the AFL is nowadays, which the AFL love to promote and nurture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back