Racing The Golden Eagle 2019

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
This is a race that shapes as a bloody interesting contest, providing the correct participants head there. There's a raft of dynamic and versatile horses that fall into the 4 year old category next year; Sprinters, Milers, Classics horses that will drop back in distance and have a crack. I'm not super enthused by the timing of it, but it is what it is so we may as well have a look at what might be served up.

Mystic Journey & Arcadia Queen both may be on Cox Plate paths, but I can't see the connections not having a throw at the stumps here if they don't win the week before.

Brutal another obvious candidate, 1500m suits perfectly.

After that, it becomes a little more interesting with a few sprinters; Sunlight, Terbium, Classique Legend, Graff etc. all recognised competitors over a shorter trip, and how far class will take them out of their comfort zone is to be seen.

And at the other end of the spectrum; Oaks winners like Princess Jenni, Verry Ellegant both have been effective over the mile-ish previously, so if set for it, can they feature? Mr Quickie probably fits into this category from the boys.

Could someone like a Ringerdingding take a step in the off season and power home with the race run correctly?

There's probably going to be one come from the clouds between now and then of course as well. But there's 10 that spring immediately to mind.

Certainly something interesting to look forward to, at any rate.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i know what they're trying to do (let 3yo's race on) but i could see this backfire. the good 3yo's like TAS will still retire. the mid range 4yo's will target this race like ringerdingding who weren't good enough to win at 3 and then retire instantly if they were to win.

i suspect it may be too short for the apparently best 3yoF in the land Arcadia Queen who really should be heading towards a cox plate, and i very highly doubt Mystic Journey will go that way either.

anything with stamina would be hard to see being brilliant enough in early november barring a setback.

Sunlight and friends wouldn't want to be going too far with the manikato a week before and sprint classic a week later.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
so who will target it.

i'd say protected entires.

Brutal front and centre. short fave at this stage. until a 4yo comes out of nowhere if they do.

it would completely drain they myer of all it's 4yos. so types like El Dorado Dreaming, Lady Cosmology, Amphitrite are probably going to make up the bulk of your high single/double figure chances

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
i know what they're trying to do (let 3yo's race on) but i could see this backfire. the good 3yo's like TAS will still retire. the mid range 4yo's will target this race like ringerdingding who weren't good enough to win at 3 and then retire instantly if they were to win.

i suspect it may be too short for the apparently best 3yoF in the land Arcadia Queen who really should be heading towards a cox plate, and i very highly doubt Mystic Journey will go that way either.

anything with stamina would be hard to see being brilliant enough in early november barring a setback.

Sunlight and friends wouldn't want to be going too far with the manikato a week before and sprint classic a week later.

Basically why i prefaced this with "This is a race that shapes as a bloody interesting contest, providing the correct participants head there"

If it does end up being s**t campaigner also rans, mid rangers etc. then no, it's gonna be a shitheap race, and we'll have another Paper Champion horse with $5m in the bank. (Not a dig at MJ btw, she's genuine)

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
so who will target it.

i'd say protected entires.

Brutal front and centre. short fave at this stage. until a 4yo comes out of nowhere if they do.

it would completely drain they myer of all it's 4yos. so types like El Dorado Dreaming, Lady Cosmology, Amphitrite are probably going to make up the bulk of your high single/double figure chances

They've already said Brutal is a lock. You'd think your Amphitrites & Nakeeta Janes of the world go there as well.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Beautide The Tassie Terminator
Article in the Mercury newspaper on Sunday with Adam Trinder. MJ came back into work last week. Will be aiming at the Golden Eagle. Also nominated for the big 3 races in the spring.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Article in the Mercury newspaper on Sunday with Adam Trinder. MJ came back into work last week. Will be aiming at the Golden Eagle. Also nominated for the big 3 races in the spring.
Well this is interesting. Golden Eagle is a week after the Cox Plate. Cant see anything running in both given they have to go back from 2000 m to 1500m in a week....

Well this is interesting. Golden Eagle is a week after the Cox Plate. Cant see anything running in both given they have to go back from 2000 m to 1500m in a week....

Seems like media bullshit to me - doubt she goes there.

I can, throw at the stumps after a failed Cox Plate attempt?

Mad not to have a crack.

Fair point - the race does seem to shape up perfectly for those who have been utter failures in genuine open age G1s

Gypsy King

Team Captain
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roheryn trials Friday. I suspect its on a Golden Eagle path. Others I like and have specked are Classique legend, who is also Everest bound. Sesar is also an interesting colt at odds, won well last start and has good form around The Autumn Sun - where he was flashing home in the JJ Atkins first prep. Change of stables and looks more polished under Hawkes. Acardia Queen is the other. Deserving fav and will be hard to toss.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Roheryn trials Friday. I suspect its on a Golden Eagle path. Others I like and have specked are Classique legend, who is also Everest bound. Sesar is also an interesting colt at odds, won well last start and has good form around The Autumn Sun - where he was flashing home in the JJ Atkins first prep. Change of stables and looks more polished under Hawkes. Acardia Queen is the other. Deserving fav and will be hard to toss.

Vince Accardi says Sesar is 2nd best 3yo Behind AQ and TAS was 3rd.

Can anyone come up with potential field ?

Gypsy King

Team Captain
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

We will play around with potential fields as the date nears closer. But I would be reasonably confident Sesar, Classique Legend and Arcardia Queen will be lining up. I have read Sesar is targeting the race, Classique Legend and Arcadia Queen are doing the Everest/Eagle double. I wouldnt lock in Brutal 100% yet, as he may head to the Epsom and Cox Plate perhaps? Likewise Verry Elleegant - who may very well go Epsom/Cox, but even Epsom/Caufield Cup would rule her out of the Golden Eagle. Stable may try avoid a clash with AQ. Up and comer Buffalo River will be trying to make the field. The race is a logical target for Roheryn, but we'll have to wait on that, until the horse trials Friday its just speculation where Roheryn could be headed.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Sesar $1.80 this weekend and potentially going this way commmeee on guyzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

i note he's on the same line $26 as some BM62 filly from WA angelic ruler.

what a bargain for the 2nd best 3yo in australia behind AQ

I thought there would be some hype about Sesar but at odds on this Saturday he is close to the lay of the century.

Happy to dutch a whole bunch of the proven WFA horses to beat him particularly Scales of Justice and Cliffs.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought there would be some hype about Sesar but at odds on this Saturday he is close to the lay of the century.

Happy to dutch a whole bunch of the proven WFA horses to beat him particularly Scales of Justice and Cliffs.

SOJ is interesting, if right should win. had severe debilitating injuries since his first run in melb mainly the back which is hard to get right.

will stay out as was terrible last time in.

i would be on cliffs but no bet.

SOJ is interesting, if right should win. had severe debilitating injuries since his first run in melb mainly the back which is hard to get right.

will stay out as was terrible last time in.

i would be on cliffs but no bet.

Surely more than enough juice in the current price to allow for this. It's not like its 7/2 second fave

Back