Best acts on a footy field

Remove this Banner Ad

Fourthawn

Senior List
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All too often, threads on this site become mired in pessimism and nastiness. The weekly media cycle also tends to focus on the negatives, the things that annoy and frustrate and downright infuriate.

Perhaps, in the wake of Jarryd Roughead's outstanding coaching of his opponent in the weekend's VFL game, it is an opportunity to focus on some of the better moments we have witnessed on the footy field. Those acts of sportsmanship or camaraderie than linger and leave a lasting impression of pride.

What random acts of kindness have you witness that stand out for you?

A couple to get started - the way Richmond players last year all circled around Reece Conca after his shocking ankle injury was inspiring. Similarly, I will never forget the way Collingwood and Hawthorn players formed that circle at the start of the match the week that Phil Walsh was killed.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I was a little kid at the footy very close to fence and Robert Muir was going beserk. Scary site. Wayne Harmes comes up grabs him in a massive bear hug and does not let him go until he calms down. I believe Harmesy was just as much protecting Muir from himself than from other players or crowd over the fence. The guy was out of control.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
images

Still think this is the iconic and inspiring act I have ever seen on a football field.

At 13 years of age (when it happened) to opened up my young eyes to the horrific and toxic abuse the Indigenous players and champions of the game have copped over the years.

Nicky Winmar would be in my top 3 Favourite Non Carlton players of all time too, how he is not in the Australian Rules Hall of Fame yet is a farce.

Fourthawn

Senior List
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
images

Still think this is the iconic and inspiring act I have ever seen on a football field.

At 13 years of age (when it happened) to opened up my young eyes to the horrific and toxic abuse the Indigenous players and champions of the game have copped over the years.

Nicky Winmar would be in my top 3 Favourite Non Carlton players of all time too, how he is not in the Australian Rules Hall of Fame yet is a farce.

Fantastic example! The bravery he and Gilbert McAdam showed that day was incredible.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
jun-2001-stephen-silvagni-for-carlton-walks-from-the-field-after-his-picture-id930798

The guard of Honour that Richmond players gave Stephen Silvagni after his 300th game, which the Tigers, was extremely classy and respectful gesture by the RFC and it's players, at the time, we very rarely saw opposition players honour and pay homage to a Champion of a game, of course it's the usual thing these days, but The Tigers to their credit, kick started this fine tradition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back