Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

At some point it will be easier to sack the coach.

I think they can ignore us for a while longer yet, and the losses, but when the $$$$$$ start biting due to lack of attendances then this can be there in to do what they seemingly can't do at the minute, it will be the excuse they need - not to mention the reality if we are losing money again.

Yes. They will ignore us until, .... the threat of non renewal, or non attendance or both becomes reality. Till then, they don't get it. I believe they are more deluded they the supporters who believe bar a few loses everything is going just fine thanks very much. My guess is, initially during the remainder of 2019 in regard to home day attendances, followed by off season (non renewal) culminating during next season (with another round of non attendance). An 18 month process with additional damage being achieved due to lack of action when most required (this year). When the decision finally comes, it wiill be purely based on $$$$. Nothing else. Such a great example for the community, a pillar of integrity, something to be proud of. !!!? Koch and Hinkley will then leave with praise an fanfare awarded by everyone except the members but not before the 150th year book have produced with their names duly inscribed.

Oh, and the 150th year book will NOT be on my must buy list if those muppets are being acknowledged in any way.

Koch, KT and Davies went to Ken's house and made him the 3 year offer that weekend after we lost the EF. It was their decison, they have to own it.

Those 3 have backed the wrong horse, and they know it.

The 100% soft cap tax means they are legally responsible if they sack him. They know that if we sack Ken and get slugged with it, the members will say they have to pay up for ******* up.

That's why they won't sack him, and Ken knows it. That's why this malaise I have been talking about for 2 or 3 years will continue because no one will make fundamental change.
It's going to do more damage in the long term keeping him on the books. They're more interested in covering their own arses than seeing the big picture.

I and others have heard this as well 2021 is not set in concrete it all depends where we sit end of next year. So that means are stuck with ken next year. And unless he can pull off a miracle he will be gone end of 2020 and we will have a new coach 2021. No payout required
And therefore koch has failed in his ambition to get ken to be a 10 year coach so i see him falling on his sword too.

Yeah, unless Koch and the board re-sign him to a new contract during the 2020 year. Previous contract would then become null and void, new contract kicks in with get out clause written for say, 2022 or 2023. Not saying that would happen, just saying it could if they wanted at the time. The underlying issue is whether there is trust in the board and in the club President\chairman.

The problem with football club professionals is that they tend to think anyone who is passionate and upset is the mental equivalent of the facebook mob so they smile and nod and pretend to listen but inside they just think you are a an over invested simpleton. It's no different to sports reporters or football journalists, one day they get picked to be the newest football reporter on the team and suddenly anyone they talk to is an idiot and doesn't understand the game like they do.

What they should be doing is realising that they are getting these reactions from people who are actually quite well versed in all the issues and also understand the position of people who work at the club yet still demand change. The people upset aren't the over reactionary 1 loss and I have a facebook melt and 1 win it's the greatest club ever again and the reason their membership engagement is so baffling to them I would think is because they treat us all with that assumption so they can't rationalise it all back to their position and end up dumbfounded.

We gave out Yes We Ken tshirts in conjunction with the advertiser years ago, they'll change their tune each win as they loved those tshirts so we know they love Ken.

Yeah, unless Koch and the board re-sign him to a new contract during the 2020 year. Previous contract would then become null and void, new contract kicks in with get out clause written for say, 2022 or 2023. Not saying that would happen, just saying it could if they wanted at the time. The underlying issue is whether there is trust in the board and in the club President\chairman.
The end of 2020 is still a long way away. Even if that information is correct, there will be a lot of pain and lost revenue between now and then.

So if he gets dumped for not making finals by the end of 2020 then unfortunately for us it is ok for him to not make finals in 2019. No wonder he appears unfazed with our losses.

About the only person who couldn't foresee that AJ's selection would end in failure was the head coach. Port won't sack him this year but why not reduce Ken's influence. Appoint Schofield as the head of the selection committee. Ken can have input but Jarrad will have the final say. Ken will be pissed off but that's one of the objectives of the move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About the only person who couldn't foresee that AJ's selection would end in failure was the head coach. Port won't sack him this year but why not reduce Ken's influence. Appoint Schofield as the head of the selection committee. Ken can have input but Jarrad will have the final say. Ken will be pissed off but that's one of the objectives of the move.

So you want Schofield to essentially be head coach without the title? This is where the soft cap comes into it, we still have to pay Ken a head coach wage and Schofield will rightfully deserve more than he's getting now.

So you want Schofield to essentially be head coach without the title? This is where the soft cap comes into it, we still have to pay Ken a head coach wage and Schofield will rightfully deserve more than he's getting now.
That's where we have to know if coaches can get the equivalent of outside the cap ASA's with sponsors.

Do you remember when KT after 2014 or 2015 said that we have a top four list? How then can you sign on a coach that is not getting anywhere near top 4 after a further 4 to 5 years?
I have put the quote up several times before, and it was in 2016 and he didn't say top 4, but said he believed when we had our best side we were competitive against everybody.

KT has never been confident enough to say outright we are a top 4 side.

That says something in itself with the benefit of hindsight. We want to be competitive not the best.

So if he gets dumped for not making finals by the end of 2020 then unfortunately for us it is ok for him to not make finals in 2019. No wonder he appears unfazed with our losses.

Yep. But heh, he's got another million in the bank, its not all bad for him. He's doing OK without too much effort thank you ver much

I have put the quote up several times before, and it was in 2016 and he didn't say top 4, but said he believed when we had our best side we were competitive against everybody.

That says something in itself with the benefit of hindsight. We want to be competitive not the best.

I definitely remember him describing our list as top 4, no doubt in my mind.

Edit: From memory it was in a radio interview or in the club rooms at Talking Footy or both.

Last edited:

Weasel words as Lockhart Road would put it. Conditionally competitive equals accountability out the window.

Do you remember when KT after 2014 or 2015 said that we have a top four list? How then can you sign on a coach that is not getting anywhere near top 4 after a further 4 to 5 years?
It was Koch who said we had a top 4 list and KT said we had that sort of list - when we had blokes not suspended by CAS and not a full medical room. He said we need to add to the 2016 list - "there’s just a couple of elements that need to be improved for us to be consistent top four material."

In might be semantics, but KT has never done a Koch and said no ifs or buts we are top 4. He isn't that confident a sort of person. He is cautious. The headline is by a sub editor, not a quote from KT's mouth.

Power list is top-four quality and not in need of overhaul, says chief executive Keith Thomas
ANDREW CAPEL, The Advertiser July 4, 2016

PORT Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas insists the Power’s premiership window is open and that the playing list is not in need of an end-of-season overhaul. Thomas has echoed president David Koch’s declaration that Port has a top-four list and has underachieved this year and that the squad will be finetuned at the end of the season rather than rebuilt.

This is despite the 7-7 Power, which meets triple premier Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval on Thursday night, sitting a disappointing ninth and being likely to miss the finals for the second consecutive year.

“We don’t need an overhaul,’’ Thomas said. “We like a lot of what we are doing and we certainly believe that this year is well and truly alive, we haven’t given up on this year at all.“And I haven’t changed my opinion (of the list). I think that we have that sort of a (top-four) list.’

“It (winning) is not an exact science, it’s not easy to win and it’s not easy to win this competition.

“Our club needs to keep building on the lessons that we’ve learned over the past couple of years and I think we’re doing that.’’

Thomas conceded Port had badly missed Court of Arbitration for Sport-suspended players Ryder and forward Angus Monfries this season and that injuries to key players had also played their part in the club’s failure to already be cemented in the top eight.

“Clearly our depth has been challenged this year,’’ he said. “If you have a look at the sort of injuries that we’ve had we’ve had a big part of our backline dismantled. “(Alipate) Carlile, (Jack) Hombsch, (Tom) Jonas and (Jackson) Trengove (who has been forced to play ruck) were in our first six (defenders) to start the year and they haven’t been there.

“And an area we’ve been thinking about a lot has been the midfield with the loss of Ryder and then (Matthew) Lobbe to injury. “It’s just meant it’s changed our thinking around what we’ve needed in there and it’s probably taken us a little longer than hoped to get that exactly right.

But my view is that a full strength Port Adelaide is highly competitive against everyone in the competition and that there’s just a couple of elements that need to be improved for us to be consistent top four material.’
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/17b098fd6532499628798127fa3b9f9e

Remove this Banner Ad

Back