Preview Rnd 9 - Carlton v GWS 4.40PM Sunday 19th May @ GIA - Final Team Post #547

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue I have with going with Marchbank is that we want him zoning off and coming in as the third man (he had 11 intercepts last week and only 1 of his 9 marks was contested) and playing on Cameron doesn't allow that.
Yeah I can definitely agree with that. The positive is that we do have options if first plan fails. Feels like it’s the first time in a long time we can say that.
Lesser so for our small defenders due to the injuries but if Newman comes up I think we will be ok.
I think our forwards match up well against them. Davis is a great shut down player but I think he won’t go to H and I think that two out of our 3 big forwards could really do damage this week - especially if our midfield breaks even or wins.

Yeah I can definitely agree with that. The positive is that we do have options if first plan fails. Feels like it’s the first time in a long time we can say that.
Lesser so for our small defenders due to the injuries but if Newman comes up I think we will be ok.
I think our forwards match up well against them. Davis is a great shut down player but I think he won’t go to H and I think that two out of our 3 big forwards could really do damage this week - especially if our midfield breaks even or wins.

I was really happy with our forward line last week, having 4 players kick multiple goals was a real positive and I doubt it would have happened for some time.

I would go with Marchbank. He is an inch shorter but I think he plays tall and will be able to keep up with him whilst matching him at ground level.
Cas goes to Himmelberg as he’s similar to Reid who he dominated last weekend.
Then Weiters to Finlayson who can peel off him at the right time to help Marche with Cameron.
I would love to see Stocker put on Greene for a bit as it would be great experience and I think he would thrive with the challenge.
I honestly think he’s the best match up with our outs. Newman is weak defensively and Daisy similar. The thing with Stocker is his aggression and that’s why I’d play him on Greene.

Jeez it’s games like this where you miss Plow. Can’t believe some people don’t rate him!

This week Cas needs to spoil to the boundary or through for a point. There were a couple (maybe three) where he just tapped it down front and center of the pack deep in D50 to a dangerous spot. He would have gotten feedback on that for sure. Stocker would also have received feedback about needing to fly etc. Those two should be all the better after having had the run against the pies and having their games analysed. Amos, Doc and Weits will be a big help for them.

Can see us really pushing the giants

Considering we got pantsed by 100 points against them less than 12 months ago...that will be quite a turnaround!

Is Whitfield back this week ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can see us really pushing the giants

Considering we got pantsed by 100 points against them less than 12 months ago...that will be quite a turnaround!

Is Whitfield back this week ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might have been a sneaky chance if they'd had a good outing against the Hawks. Still think the harder the match ups the better for us at the moment.

Cas was very good last week but don't think he is the right match up for Cameron. Wouldn't be against putting Mitch back there. In the limited viewing that I have had of Mitch going back this year he seems to have stabilised the backline when it was getting overrun a bit.

Just not sure if he has the fitness for a full game on Cameron.

Want Kennedy to get a run for another bigger body in the middle. De Boer has surprised me a bit as a tagger and another bigger body to win the ball in the middle of just apply some body to get Cripps free wouldn't go astray.

Out: Plow, Willo
In: Newman, Kennedy

B: Thomas, MM, Marchbank
HB: Newman, Weiters, Stocker
C: Walsh, Cripps, SPS
HF: Murphy, Cas, CC
F: Cuningham, H, Gibbons
R: Kruez , Kennedy, Dow

I: Fisher, Setters, JSOS, Ed
MM been to consistent for us forward this year

Without knowing the stats I would think there has been very few goal scored on Weitering this year and without Jones he is clearly our best defender, I would give him first crack at Cameron.
We really need to stop there midfield ball users especially Kelly who tore us apart last time, if he and others get as much space as last time it won’t matter who is on who as they will get the ball lace out on the lead which is unstoppable.
Really need to lock down hard on there outside runners to negate this, can’t afford to be sagging off by 2-3 mtrs or they will chop us up especially if Whitfield comes in as well, our wingers need to play a defensive role first and then attack not the other way around, this especially applies to centre clearances where I would almost like them to start at the back corner of the square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I think my preference is like-for-like, as close as we can get. Plowman and Williamson out, Newman and Garlett in. If Kennedy couldn't get a game against Collingwood, I can't see how he gets a start this week. Leave the rest of the side as is, and in position.

I know Garlett doesn't have too many friends here, and I can appreciate he hasn't done a lot in the reserves since his demotion, but I thought he was a fraction harshly dealt with at the time. Yes, he was making mistakes, but he was backing himself - he looked to me like a bloke following the coach's instructions.

What to do with Weitering? Finlayson is the one actually providing GWS's structure, and he is kicking plenty of goals of his own. I would start Weitering there, and back our midfield to choke Cameron's supply. He tends to roam far and wide to get the ball; I would try Marchbank to start with, and hope for the best. Casboult on Himmelberg is a massive worry - in 2019, Himmelberg is a significant upgrade on Reid, and I fear Casboult will be beaten for speed, athleticism or both. But what choice do we have?

Overall, just got a bad feeling about this one. I suspect one of the reasons we always trouble Collingwood is that they almost give us too much respect: they treat us as equal, and we sort of become that! In contrast, GWS know how to bully sides, it's been a devastating approach in the past as our head-to-head attests, and I suspect it might work a couple more times yet, for all our improvement.

I honestly think he’s the best match up with our outs. Newman is weak defensively and Daisy similar. The thing with Stocker is his aggression and that’s why I’d play him on Greene.

Jeez it’s games like this where you miss Plow. Can’t believe some people don’t rate him!

Nah i'd definitely go with Newman or Daisy on Greene...probably Daisy.

Our better, more experienced defenders should take their better, more experienced forwards.
Greene can be a barometer and match winner for them.

Stocker can take on a lesser light like Daniels or Lloyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back