Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fourth in race 1 at Morphettville today; “Floreat Pica”.

The next Winx for sure.
Yes I noticed that.

And Osborne Bulls found yet another one to snatch a group 1 from him.

Last five starts, five seconds in five group 1s.

But I digress.

Floreat Pica is owned in part by Gary Lechte of car dealership, maybe he’s a PIes fan?

Both Fyfe & Gaz get off for crude raised elbows. Fyfe's in particular if he had of connected would have taken his head off. Gaz doesn't learn from last week and carry's out the exact same action with no penalty.
Yet Durdin lays a legit block within 2 meters of his team mate in the play and gets suspended for a perfect bump. The system is farcical.

My crusade.

This week having white background and black numbers on the jumper.

So good.

Both Fyfe & Gaz get off for crude raised elbows. Fyfe's in particular if he had of connected would have taken his head off. Gaz doesn't learn from last week and carry's out the exact same action with no penalty.
Yet Durdin lays a legit block within 2 meters of his team mate in the play and gets suspended for a perfect bump. The system is farcical.

The AFL has made it abundantly clear to all players that the perfect bump or tackle can't include contact to the head, no matter how accidental, so by their standards (and they're the only ones that matter here), the Durdin bump was significantly less than perfect. Could just as easily blocked Rohan's progress with a simple body block but instead chose to bump, got it wrong, cops his penalty. If the force of that head contact had been as per the Ablett incident then Rohan wouldn't have been forced from the ground and Durdin wouldn't have been suspended.

The AFL has made it abundantly clear to all players that the perfect bump or tackle can't include contact to the head, no matter how accidental, so by their standards (and they're the only ones that matter here), the Durdin bump was significantly less than perfect. Could just as easily blocked Rohan's progress with a simple body block but instead chose to bump, got it wrong, cops his penalty. If the force of that head contact had been as per the Ablett incident then Rohan wouldn't have been forced from the ground and Durdin wouldn't have been suspended.
Ok so maybe Durdin would have been better off raising his elbow to try and stop Rohan? There was a lot more thought in that bump than a raised forearm like those other examples. Durdin went in low, tucked the arm in and unfortunately they may have had a head clash or possibly the force of the shoulder knock itself may have caused the shock/concussion? Rohan TBH should have been expecting a hit. There was no malice in the bump just a good team block. Accidental head clashes happen just look at Liam Jones a couple of weeks ago yet Cam Zurhaar wasn't suspended for that bump.

In reference to Ablett and Fyfe. They were just lucky 1) They are big names in the game 2) Possible Brownlow contenders and 3) They didn't connect.
Both were intentional raised forearms to the head.

Ultimately the AFL suspends a player for trying to do the right thing and comes up with a way to excuse the actions of a raised elbow. Ablett gets off 2 weeks in a row for exactly the same act. The second IMO being worse. What sort of message does that send to players.

As I said before it's farcical.

Geoff Walsh just annoys me in the Injury Update videos. The guy is clearly not cut out for the gig all I hear after every word he says "Uhh" "and Ummm" "So yeah". A bit nit picky but surely they can get someone a bit more energetic and competent to present it.

Ok so maybe Durdin would have been better off raising his elbow to try and stop Rohan? There was a lot more thought in that bump than a raised forearm like those other examples. Durdin went in low, tucked the arm in and unfortunately they may have had a head clash or possibly the force of the shoulder knock itself may have caused the shock/concussion? Rohan TBH should have been expecting a hit. There was no malice in the bump just a good team block. Accidental head clashes happen just look at Liam Jones a couple of weeks ago yet Cam Zurhaar wasn't suspended for that bump.

Not so sure Rohan should have been expecting the contact, looked a little blind-sided to me.

It's a contact sport and you will never rule out accidental contact like the Jones incident or Ebert the week before in our game against the Power. And while the AFL would love it if those incidents didn't occur, it has never tried to fine or suspend any player for accidental/incidental contact that I can recall.

I don't disagree with you on the intent of the bump, but it has been made abundantly clear that if a player elects to bump and there is resultant head high contact as a consequence and the impact of that contact is sufficient, then fines and/or suspensions will result. Durdin could simply have shepherded Rohan out of that chase instead of bumping. He made the choice, he got it wrong, he pays the price.

In reference to Ablett and Fyfe. They were just lucky 1) They are big names in the game 2) Possible Brownlow contenders and 3) They didn't connect.
Both were intentional raised forearms to the head.

Yes, both were assessed as intentional but the impact wasn't considered to be sufficient to merit either a fine or a suspension. Nothing to do with them being big names or brownlow fancies.

Ultimately the AFL suspends a player for trying to do the right thing and comes up with a way to excuse the actions of a raised elbow. Ablett gets off 2 weeks in a row for exactly the same act. The second IMO being worse. What sort of message does that send to players.

As I said before it's farcical.

Yes, but doing it wrong.

It's consistent and that's the very least we should expect from a MR process.

We've seen some sensational bumps this year, Stack on Viney comes to mind. Viney ended up with an ACL injury and missed weeks. No head high contact, no MRP involvement, no fines, no suspensions. Players just need to do it within the scope of the rules that apply and know that if they get it wrong there will be consequences.

Last edited:
I find it amusing how when a team is going poorly, people say “it’s not the coach, players can’t execute basic skills and game plan, what’s he meant to do?” Etc etc..

But whenever an Alistair Clarkson lead Hawthorn side is struggling and they put in effort like the weekend all we hear is “Alistair Clarkson is a genius, what a masterful coaching display”, and not one mention of how the players actually executed the game plan.

I know Clarko has some brownie points up his sleeve, but if Carlton beat us on the weekend the focus would be on the players execution and not how Brendan Bolton’s coaching was clinical.

Last edited:
Not so sure Rohan should have been expecting the contact, looked a little blind-sided to me.

It's a contact sport and you will never rule out accidental contact like the Jones incident or Ebert the week before in our game against the Power. And while the AFL would love it if those incidents didn't occur, it has never tried to fine or suspend any player for accidental/incidental contact that I can recall.

I don't disagree with you on the intent of the bump, but it has been made abundantly clear that if a player elects to bump and there is resultant head high contact as a consequence and the impact of that contact is sufficient, then fines and/or suspensions will result. Durdin could simply have shepherded Rohan out of that chase instead of bumping. He made the choice, he got it wrong, he pays the price.

Yes, both were assessed as intentional but the impact wasn't considered to be sufficient to merit either a fine or a suspension. Nothing to do with them being big names or brownlow fancies.

Yes, but doing it wrong.

We've seen some sensational bumps this year, Stack on Viney comes to mind. Viney ended up with an ACL injury and missed weeks. No head high contact, no MRP involvement, no fines, no suspensions. Players just need to do it within the scope of the rules that apply and know that if they get it wrong there will be consequences.

TBH I don't have an issue with Durdin being given a week if there was head high contact that caused the concussion. He also has the option to fight it I would suggest. Stack is just lucky he didn't give Viney concussion as it's a very fine line. I would also suggest some players are more susceptible to concussion than others so it's all in the hands of the gods on who and when.

My problem is the acceptance by the AFL system of these 2 crude actions. Yes they luckily didn't do any damage but this type of action needs to be rubbed out. This is like the Grimes hit on Elliott last year where Billy just bounced up. The action is very dangerous and the result hinges on the effectiveness and damage it causes.

I find it amusing how when a team is going poorly, people say “it’s not the coach, players can’t execute basic skills and game plan, what’s he meant to do?” Etc etc..

But whenever an Alistair Clarkson lead Hawthorn side is struggling and they put in effort like the weekend all we hear is “Alistair Clarkson is a genius, what a masterful coaching display”, and not one mention of how the players actually executed the game plan.

I know Clarko has some brownie points up his sleeve, but if Carlton beat us on the weekend the focus would be on the players executed and not how Brendan Bolton’s coaching was clinical.
I'd say it's a bit of both. Not one side is entirely blameless and we should know that from Bucks' coaching career as of now. He coached was was essentially the remnant of Mick's team which was pretty good and actually reached the Prelim that year. Then the following years were quite depressing and the pressure was mounting of Bucks who I'd say couldn't do much as our playing group was in rebuild but as the pressure mounted he went to desperate measures (signing Mayne and Wells for a kings ransom). Fact is we just didn't have good team pre-2017. Bucks went back and moved some pieces around, tried different things over the off-season and with that the players started to improve too. It was a combined effort by all personnel at the club and all it took was a change in coaching philosophy to light the spark. In essence, it's not just the coaches fault for poor form, its multi-factorial.

I don't think Durdin intended to clash heads with Rohan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but doing it wrong.

Ablett gets suspended the week before and this time for doing the exact same thing he is cleared. I would have thought Geelong would need to challenge it again at the very least.

Consistency is not something the MRP is known for.

I know Clarko has some brownie points up his sleeve, but if Carlton beat us on the weekend the focus would be on the players execution and not how Brendan Bolton’s coaching was clinical.
Since Tom Wills was in nappies the football world has circle jerked about coaches.
It keeps it simple.
Coaches blamed or credited.

So who takes the Iron Throne?

Candidates:

• Sansa Stark
  • Jon Snow
  • Danyeras remains
  • Arya Stark (outside chance as more a warrior)
  • Tyrian (love Tyrian) the last of the Lanisters
  • Bran Stark (three eyed raven so doubtful)
  • Gendry Baratheon
  • ?

Samwell to conclude the tale, as he’s the author, by saying, and this was the story of....

Candidates:

• Sansa Stark
  • Jon Snow
  • Danyeras remains
  • Gendry Baratheon
  • ?

Samwell to conclude the tale, as he’s the author, by saying, and this was the story of....

Yara Greyjoy :think: Otherwise Sansa

Candidates:

• Sansa Stark
  • Jon Snow
  • Danyeras remains
  • Gendry Baratheon
  • ?

WTF is this shite about?

Strong woman and leader but too easily captured.
Love Arya.

She’s a star.

Sansa ascends, John protects the North, Arya is her first line of defence, and Tyrion the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back