FTA-TV Survivor 38 'Edge of extinction'

If/When Devens becomes the sole survivor, does he become the worst winner? Based on the fact he has already been voted out or does his gameplay of recent make him a deserving sole survivor?
Far from it. He's been a very good player IMO

I can't stand arrogant Yanks. ;)

I just caught up last night. Great episode.

Devens certainly is entertaining, though he does have TV experience which gives him an advantage. At this point I think he deserves to win, though who knows what will happen on Thursday? Great to see the Final is being shown live here Thursday morning.

I think you are confusing good player with entertaining player

As a TV show thats all i really give a s**t about.

So in my mind entertaining player in + winner makes him a great player.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
To think that if Wendy and Keith didn't quit the Edge, we'd be going into the finale with all 18 players still live chances of winning.
Edge of Extinction was a poorly thought out concept. What's the point in giving players a choice to stay or go home? No one has decided after tribal to not stay. At least do something to eliminate some players from the Edge.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Edge of Extinction was a poorly thought out concept. What's the point in giving players a choice to stay or go home? No one has decided after tribal to not stay. At least do something to eliminate some players from the Edge.

I don't think there was an expectation that so many people would a) choose to go, and b) choose to stay. I think they thought they made it super hard, but maybe they underestimated the will of the competitors - I expect that to be one of those "everyone is so tough" narratives that Jeff takes during the reunion.

I didn't hate the concept, but the execution of it has rendered it something that shouldn't be done again.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think there was an expectation that so many people would a) choose to go, and b) choose to stay. I think they thought they made it super hard, but maybe they underestimated the will of the competitors - I expect that to be one of those "everyone is so tough" narratives that Jeff takes during the reunion.

I didn't hate the concept, but the execution of it has rendered it something that shouldn't be done again.
Once people started to populate EoE it wouldn't have been too bad. Once Chris/Eric/Joe started catching fish, All they had to contend with is their boredom but they were heading to Tribal every 2/3 days so they had something to look forward to.

I think its an improvement on RI/Ghost Island/Exile Island as it takes up less time. I just wish it ended at the Merge.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you're all putting way too much thought into it compared to the producers, who more than likely introduced the concept for
1) Providing a safety net for the returnees
2) Not having to sink much into it by way of challenges (ie. money)
3) Not have it be Redemption Island and probably dominated by Joe (ie. ensure the other returnees don't get blown away)
4) Has a cool sounding name

Pretty much have shown they have put next to no thought into it as some cool new format of gameplay.

Another benefit is they save a heap on not sending pre-boots on vacay and housing jurors in Ponderosa. Lol.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Would the edge of extinction been better if it had ceased just after the merge?

After Devens came back in they announced there’ll be one more opportunity, but didn’t think it would be this late (ie, someone is coming back in the final episode and will be in the final 5 or 6).

JHC WTF? 4th place? After all of his conniving?
In two minds about Chris winning. At least he had the guts to go head to head with Devens when he didn't have to but it was obvious he had to do something. He never would have beaten Devens in a F3. He rolled the dice on that one and he won. Gavin was so much under the radar this season, but made some good moves. Julie was a waste of time.

JHC Not Boston Rob again.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Wow what a Finale.

Full credit to Chris. He played the perfect game once he came back in, though he was playing with a rigged deck.
The way he was able to convince Lauren to play his Idol on her was really smart, and Devins got too cocky and just gave the Idol back after finding his own.

He was also able to get the most out of all of the crazies twists that Survivor uses these days. EoE, Idols and Final 4 fire. His Final Tribal Council answers were all really good as well. Gavin never had a chance.

Back