2019 F1 Championship Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m still amazed at either how great our F1 crowds are, or how poor they are pretty much everywhere else (with a few exceptions).
The total 4 day crowd attendance for the Aus GP this year was 320k - DOUBLE what Spain dragged in, in a country with 45million people..
i was at the Spanish Grand Prix last year. It is a complete snore fest compared to the Aus Grand Prix. Albert Park has a lot more happening in the middle of the circuit for fans with live music, beer gardens, big screens with deck chairs, all sorts of interactive fan stations, fighter jet flyovers, easy access through gates at all corners.

Catalunya in comparison - took 90 minutes on Friday to get in. Missed first practice because there was ONE security guard checking everyone. Only 2 gates open. Circuit is an hours drive from the city. Absolute no entertainment going on. Its literally F1 and F3 cars. No big screens around teh rest of the track. I was sitting on the 2nd DRS straight at the back of the circuit and the only means of knowing what was happening on other parts of the circuit was a crappy PA system in Spanish.

The worst part is the tickets you buy online - they arent your ticket. Youve got to walk to a small station on the northwest outside the arena where everyone queues up with their receipts to pick up your tickets. And none of the staff at the event knew where the station was. From the time we left our hotel in Barcelona til when we got inside the gate was about 3.5 hours. Complete nightmare.

So yeah im not surprised Spain draws a small crowd. It was my first ever GP experience but i wouldnt go back.

I think with Ricciardo, we have to be satisfied that he drove a race and didn't make an error. It's obviously not ideal, but it's not Renault's fault he's been erratic to start the year. Keep staying out of trouble and become unoticeable, and he'll be benefitting from others screwing up.

I wonder if Red Bull will be unstoppable at Monaco again this year.

That will be a question Verstappen can be judged on. Ricciardo's not there and Gasly still not quite up to speed, it's all there for him. If MB didn't have five 1-2s to start the year, he probably would be the favourite?

It'd be funny if this was the weekend Gasly got up to speed and nailed pole!

I think with Ricciardo, we have to be satisfied that he drove a race and didn't make an error. It's obviously not ideal, but it's not Renault's fault he's been erratic to start the year. Keep staying out of trouble and become unoticeable, and he'll be benefitting from others screwing up.

That will be a question Verstappen can be judged on. Ricciardo's not there and Gasly still not quite up to speed, it's all there for him. If MB didn't have five 1-2s to start the year, he probably would be the favourite?

It'd be funny if this was the weekend Gasly got up to speed and nailed pole!

Are RB really that good in low speed corners this year?
I have my doubts and think that one reason Mercs are dominant is an improvement in this area.

Are RB really that good in low speed corners this year?
I have my doubts and think that one reason Mercs are dominant is an improvement in this area.
I'm going to say "Yes".

Idk how anyone can judge a significant can in performance without having the full facts like a race director would? (That's not a criticism of your opinion)

I also think Bottas' form this year, and lack of form last year, also clouds how the cars are judged.

Without Ricciardo there, there's no excuses for Verstappen.

Last edited:
If they didn't do it Sainz would have been gifted a lap head start on a Torro Rosso he was behind before the sc
You have a good point. Having thought about it though. What this does is give the consideration of a low position priority over the leader, and I disagree with that.

There's always going to be a loser as a result of a safety car. For the integrity of the competition, I don't think that should be the leader.

Longing for the days when it was never used. But you can't trust drivers nowadays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turned it off at lap 46 and went to bed, I can't believe I lasted that long. I don't remember the last time I've done that. I get the feeling it may not be the last time I do it this season.

You have a good point. Having thought about it though. What this does is give the consideration of a low position priority over the leader, and I disagree with that.

There's always going to be a loser as a result of a safety car. For the integrity of the competition, I don't think that should be the leader.

Longing for the days when it was never used. But you can't trust drivers nowadays.
The only one who actually gained from it was Sainz who went from holding up dan all race to sneaking a few positions with fresh boots and a couple of botched torro rosso pits, it otherwise did nothing to breathe life into a boring race.

Hamilton didn't actually earn the right to start a dozen cars ahead of Bottas most of the guys in between them were there because they pitted under the SC certainly albon and ricciardo were ahead of hamilton on track when the SC came out.

The only one who actually gained from it was Sainz who went from holding up dan all race to sneaking a few positions with fresh boots and a couple of botched torro rosso pits, it otherwise did nothing to breathe life into a boring race.

Hamilton didn't actually earn the right to start a dozen cars ahead of Bottas most of the guys in between them were there because they pitted under the SC certainly albon and ricciardo were ahead of hamilton on track when the SC came out.
It's pretty good that you can keep track of that.

It's pretty good that you can keep track of that.
Only because dan was in that group, Sainz must have just come out in front of Hamilton, Albon just behind thanks to kvyat slow stop and Daniel right behind him but somehow behind Hulkenberg.

Would have been interesting to see the tracker got me stuffed how Daniel ended up so much further behind Sainz given he was 1 second off him for the entire race somehow 3 cars ended up between them on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back