Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

But the ump did know the rules, he didn't intentionally shake the post so no free.
And the umps do that sort of stuff every game when it comes to things like warning players to get back on the mark who may have already encroached..sometimes the 50 is given, others not. We have part time umpires in what is a full time professional sport - it has to change

And the umps do that sort of stuff every game when it comes to things like warning players to get back on the mark who may have already encroached..sometimes the 50 is given, others not. We have part time umpires in what is a full time professional sport - it has to change
Disagree. The umps know the rules, most fans and many on here don't. If they were full time they would spend most of the week drinking coffee and playing golf.

Bit disingenuous to make out they are part time and not professionals. You’d be better off investing in your professional development rather than crying about the inherent vagaries of human judgement.

Disagree. The umps know the rules, most fans and many on here don't. If they were full time they would spend most of the week drinking coffee and playing golf.
Disagree, if they were full time, they would be able to devote more time to the nuances of the role and be more aware of what ius and is not an infringement in the heat of battle. I just can't fathom how the AFL does not invest the money to ensure that all umpiring positions are full time roles as it would send a message to people wanting to get into the profession that there is a well paid career available

That's not what intentional means.
His intention was to climb the post.
The rule needs to be reworded.
No one knows what his intention was. That's the problem.

You're right though, way too grey for mine. It's either a free or isn't. Shouldn't be based on a different umpires interpreration of whether or not it was intentional. Un-intentional would be getting pushed into the post, or running back with the flight and hitting the post. What Rampe did wasn't an accident, he climbed up the post and it shook. Simple as that. No one knows what his intention was and no-one ever will. Fact is he climed up the post (intentional act) resulting in the post shaking.

So if umpires are 'part-time' how much do the top umps make for their part time hours? FWIW I make 80k in a good year for 40-45 hours a week.

I imagine they'd have to get paid a heap just for the travel to interstate games which takes up days of their time to umpire a 3 hour game.

Main thing is Essendon lost and their fans are still bleeding 4 days later. Breaks my heart

Assuming sarcasm.....Yeah cause Collingwood supporters wouldn’t be pissed at all about it if it was them in the situation.....

You know, they’d not mention it all I’m sure.....

Let us melt like you damn well know you would too you crumpet.

But the ump did know the rules, he didn't intentionally shake the post so no free.

Nah he jumped up there to get a better view of the kick

Amazed people think rampe wasn’t deliberalty shaking the post rofl. His own coach said to him that it was a free kick after the siren went for *s sake!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazed people think rampe wasn’t deliberalty shaking the post rofl. His own coach said to him that it was a free kick after the siren went for ****s sake!
Ask an independent person that doesn't care about AFL what they think Rampe's intentions were. The rule is poorly worded. His coach and most supporters including myself didn't know the exact rule.

No one knows what his intention was. That's the problem.

You're right though, way too grey for mine. It's either a free or isn't. Shouldn't be based on a different umpires interpreration of whether or not it was intentional. Un-intentional would be getting pushed into the post, or running back with the flight and hitting the post. What Rampe did wasn't an accident, he climbed up the post and it shook. Simple as that. No one knows what his intention was and no-one ever will. Fact is he climbed up the post (intentional act) resulting in the post shaking.
He intentionally climbed the post. The post shook.

Pretty simple free kick.

Also incredibly easy to fix going forward. Added rule: You cant climb the post. Sorted.

Ask an independent person that doesn't care about AFL what they think Rampe's intentions were. The rule is poorly worded. His coach and most supporters including myself didn't know the exact rule.

Dustin fletcher used to do this s**t a while ago as well. It was a shitful display then and it still is now.

Rampe knew exactly what the * he was doing, except he probably did not know the rule either. Hence why long,ore told him after the game that that was a free kick.

If anyone thinks he was climbing the post to somehow extend his reach honestly needs their head examined.

Amazed people think rampe wasn’t deliberalty shaking the post rofl. His own coach said to him that it was a free kick after the siren went for ****s sake!
Do you jump on the bowl to shake your dick after you take a piss?

Here’s the thing - even it was technically against the rules there is nothing more Australian than being a loveable larrikin and having a laugh. I’m glad Gil saw it this way and we can all see that Rampe was enjoying his footy and being a goose

Lol.

I can’t believe people are still running with this. It’s hilarious.

It’s a free kick for intentional shaking of the post.

I know an AFL umpire personally. I asked him. It’s a free kick on the goal line and a report.

As Paul Roos said on On The Couch - go and watch it - he spoke to a player who played on Saturday. The player asked the umpire about it before their match. He said it was a free kick on the goal line and a report, and the officiating umpire got it wrong. The umpires had been discussing it since Friday night and were in agreement.

Find an AFL umpire who says otherwise. You won’t.

This was a simple umpire error. A missed free kick. Nothing more, nothing less. He either didn’t know the correct action to take, or (most probably) the moment got to him and he bottled it. Whatever.

The AFL CEO said it was a free kick FFS. He used his laughable “practical umpiring” thing, but even he didn’t try this moronic “climbing not shaking” idiocy. Even the AFL, the straightest-faced liars you’ll find anywhere, haven’t run with this garbage.

The AFL have done what they always do when there’s these clear issues that decide results. They never, ever admit error or fixing (tanking etc) by anybody in the league. Sports gambling is big business and the AFL are in bed with it - they reap significant revenue directly, and their single biggest revenue source - television - rely on it for a huge amount of their advertising revenue. They have to care, they’re on the gambling teat.

They don’t want it upset and they certainly don’t want opportunistic lawyers lining their pockets and public profiles by gathering punters for class actions against the AFL for money lost.

Headaches, huge bills, games decided in court. Urgh. That’s why they have their (not so) slick PR machine that swings into action and pumps out transparent “solutions” and a scripted video by the player concerned. One where he’s meant to be talking about what happened but he actually doesn’t even address it beyond “oh um there was a lot going on in the heat of the moment”.

So if umpires are 'part-time' how much do the top umps make for their part time hours? FWIW I make 80k in a good year for 40-45 hours a week.

I imagine they'd have to get paid a heap just for the travel to interstate games which takes up days of their time to umpire a 3 hour game.
Google: Base 65k + match payments
22+ finals + GF: about $150k all up

Those figures from 2017 and given by an ump who last umpired in 2014. So I think you can expect the real figure to be a fair bit higher. I spoke with a goal umpire ages ago who said he made near 100k in a year he did the GF.

Lol.

I can’t believe people are still running with this. It’s hilarious.

It’s a free kick for intentional shaking of the post.

I know an AFL umpire personally. I asked him. It’s a free kick on the goal line and a report.

As Paul Roos said on On The Couch - go and watch it - he spoke to a player who played on Saturday. The player asked the umpire about it before their match. He said it was a free kick on the goal line and a report, and the officiating umpire got it wrong. The umpires had been discussing it since Friday night and were in agreement.

Find an AFL umpire who says otherwise. You won’t.

This was a simple umpire error. A missed free kick. Nothing more, nothing less. He either didn’t know the correct action to take, or (most probably) the moment got to him and he bottled it. Whatever.

The AFL CEO said it was a free kick FFS. He used his laughable “practical umpiring” thing, but even he didn’t try this moronic “climbing not shaking” idiocy. Even the AFL, the straightest-faced liars you’ll find anywhere, haven’t run with this garbage.

The AFL have done what they always do when there’s these clear issues that decide results. They never, ever admit error or fixing (tanking etc) by anybody in the league. Sports gambling is big business and the AFL are in bed with it - they reap significant revenue directly, and their single biggest revenue source - television - rely on it for a huge amount of their advertising revenue. They have to care, they’re on the gambling teat.

They don’t want it upset and they certainly don’t want opportunistic lawyers lining their pockets and public profiles by gathering punters for class actions against the AFL for money lost.

Headaches, huge bills, games decided in court. Urgh. That’s why they have their (not so) slick PR machine that swings into action and pumps out transparent “solutions” and a scripted video by the player concerned. One where he’s meant to be talking about what happened but he actually doesn’t even address it beyond “oh um there was a lot going on in the heat of the moment”.
I think the AFL low-key wish the umpire paid the free kick. It's easier to defend giving the free than the non-call.

Why are people being so obtuse with this? Yes he did something wrong, obviously they don't want people climbing posts, it is dangerous, could block goal post cameras, could cause the post to move, could be considered unsportsmanlike or even cheating, but there is currently no rule saying it's a free kick. They will add it to the rule book.
Irrespective of rule 17.11, if the umpire felt it was "unsportsmanlike or even cheating", he could have played a free kick according to 17.12(g) which refers to misconduct. Doesnt need a rule stating that you cant climb a goal post, I would have thought that common sense would apply and that either 17.11 or 17.12(g) would cover those strange and bizarre isolated events....

To the absolute letter of the law it’s not actually a free kick. He didn’t ‘intentionally’ shake the post. But he’s a peanut and if the umpire had ‘feel for the game’ it was a free kick. Most of the arguments are the wrong way around, eg Robbo and Gil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back