Why are Hawthorn hogging the 3:20pm slot?

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s not a conspiracy though, the AFL have made it very clear that they want us out of Tasmania.

Giving us a **** load of poorly scheduled games is undoubtedly an attempt to make the HFC board bow to AFL house.
Yeah i read the Kennett comments on Tas.

Ive missed all this - why does the AFL want Hawthorn out of TAS? Isnt the AFL clear that the state cant support a team down there and instead wants clubs visiting regularly?

Ive missed all this - why does the AFL want Hawthorn out of TAS? Isnt the AFL clear that the state cant support a team down there and instead wants clubs visiting regularly?
They can have Tasmania as their play thing if Hawthorn do not have a contract with the Tassie government.

Bayer_

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Shiny Penny
Dec 23, 2008
Inner East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This was a very decent troll thread, well done. The fact that people are still thinking it is serious shows how good it is!!

In all honesty though, this scheduling is testament to the fact that Hawthorn are not the powerhouse their 'supporters' think they are. As soon as they drop it of contention, they drop back to their natural order with the Bulldogs, Melbourne etc in terms of drawing power.

This is demonstrated unequivocally by crowd numbers this year, tv time slots fixtured and the fact that they need to sell their home games interstate and run pokies venues to make a dollar.

Make no mistake, they are a few bad years away from the bandwagon falling apart.

You're flag favourites and you couldn't get 10,000 of your own fans to show up last Sunday. Oh right, whenever you get s**t attendance it's because driving 40 mins is too much effort.

The only reason you aren't the financial equivalent of North or St Kilda is you're handed a taxpayer funded stadium to prop up your rust belt hometown.

Bayer_

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2008
Inner East
AFL Club
Hawthorn

They want North to be the one and only Tassie team.

I heard it first hand from a board member the AFL is doing what it can to push us out of Tassie.

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
You're flag favourites and you couldn't get 10,000 of your own fans to show up last Sunday. Oh right, whenever you get **** attendance it's because driving 40 mins is too much effort.

The only reason you aren't the financial equivalent of North or St Kilda is you're handed a taxpayer funded stadium to prop up your rust belt hometown.
How do you know how many Geelong fans were at the match genius? It was a North Melbourne home game, yet the commentators noticed there was a very strong Geelong contingent. Indeed, when Ablett was booed, the cheering drowned the boos out.

Obviously the truths I stated cut a bit close to the bone. With 14000 at a home game, the bandwagon is closer to falling apart than even I imagined when I wrote that post.

I don't know if Geelong have ever had less than 15000 to a home game. Hawthorn did once in the last 3 days!

Bayer_

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2008
Inner East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How do you know how many Geelong fans were at the match genius? It was a North Melbourne home game, yet the commentators noticed there was a very strong Geelong contingent. Indeed, when Ablett was booed, the cheering drowned the boos out.

Obviously the truths I stated cut a bit close to the bone. With 14000 at a home game, the bandwagon is closer to falling apart than even I imagined when I wrote that post.

I don't know if Geelong have ever had less than 15000 to a home game. Hawthorn did once in the last 3 days!

14,000 Hawthorn fans vs 10,000 Geelong fans, yet you're the ones on top of the ladder. If you want to play this silly game, it cuts both ways.

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
No.... It doesn't.... 11 game memberships don't get you into away games. Obviously you are a bit too simple to understand that.... So, it is maybe 1000 with 17 game memberships and 9000 paying above their memberships to go to an away game for Geelong on the weekend. Meanwhile, not even 1 in 6 members turned up to watch Hawthorn play a home game. Bandwagon at its finest!!

No.... It doesn't.... 11 game memberships don't get you into away games. Obviously you are a bit too simple to understand that.... So, it is maybe 1000 with 17 game memberships and 9000 paying above their memberships to go to an away game for Geelong on the weekend. Meanwhile, not even 1 in 6 members turned up to watch Hawthorn play a home game. Bandwagon at its finest!!

Yes it does. This weeks Hawthorn vs Richmond game is a replacement game for Hawthorn members.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another significant factor was no trains on Belgrave/Lilydale/Alamein/Glen Waverley lines which is all Hawks heartland.

Hawks1976

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

2012 you had less than 14000

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
2012 you had less than 14000
Ah, yes.... Against Port Adelaide.... Arctic conditions in torrential rain, in a ground which was missing 1/4 of its stands due to a redevelopment!! We also only had 40k members at that stage, so was still almost 33% of our membership numbers.

Makes the excuses from powerhouse Hawthorn seem fairly trivial!

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your club has 5 game Melbourne based members who get into away games for free.
https://membership.geelongcats.com.au/mobile/#/melbourne-5-membership

Ah, yes.... Against Port Adelaide.... Arctic conditions in torrential rain, in a ground which was missing 1/4 of its stands due to a redevelopment!! We also only had 40k members at that stage, so was still almost 33% of our membership numbers.

Makes the excuses from powerhouse Hawthorn seem fairly trivial!

Geelong is like the annoying little brother trying to claim superiority. Kindly go back to the bay and smoke some meth.

Nice retort.....a club who gets 14k to a home game isn't the 'big brother's of any other club!!!

If you put Geelong at the MCG at 3.20pm against GWS would they be able to draw more then 14,000? I think not.

Geelong got 44,000 for an Elimination Final in 2012 against Fremantle at the MCG.

Hawthorn got 72,000 against Sydney in 2014 in a home and away game!

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
If you put Geelong at the MCG at 3.20pm against GWS would they be able to draw more then 14,000? I think not.

Geelong got 44,000 for an Elimination Final in 2012 against Fremantle at the MCG.

Hawthorn got 72,000 against Sydney in 2014 in a home and away game!
In Geelong, in our home city, at our home ground, I would guarantee we would beat it!! Why make false equivalences?

Also.... Cherry picking games from 7 years ago... Haha hahaha

Back