List Mgmt. 2019 trade prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

True. Attracting talent attracts talent. I 'm not a fan of 7-10 year contracts though, especially at 1.2/3 mil a year. 5 year max for a 26 year old.

I don’t think it will matter. I don’t think he will leave Collingwood.

He will use the Croms as a leverage to get him years and dollars up.

I get what you’re saying. Grundy is a little different to the norm though.

Currently he sits at #26 in the AFL for clearances with 44. Our best is Sloane with 46. He’s also currently averaging 21 possessions a game.

Now, we haven’t even touched upon his ruck work yet.

So what you’re getting is a pretty decent mid who is a clearance beast that also rucks. It’s a fair combo.

I’m not keen to spend the Carlton pick on him, but I’m dead keen to get him
I agree, he's a special ruckman. Probably only Nic Nat rivals his ground game.

I just think his ground work is overrated cos he's a big guy and big guys shouldn't be able to get those numbers or run with the ball.

You're right, I should be bundling that with his ruck work as well. With a good midfield he's very valuable.

At the end of the day I still rate an elite mid over an elite ruck.

Sorry ....good conversation subject, but Grundy's going nowhere ......simply using the Crows to up his Contract

You folks get super excited over these nothing pieces

giphy.gif

Which shows the point precisely: teams that don't have pick 1 have easily traded in gun players over the years. So you shouldn't need to spend pick 1.

Of course at the negotiating table, things will go a bit differently because the other party will see our pick and say they want it. If anything, the exact pick you DON'T want when trading for a player is pick 1.

That's some backwards logic there. I could say my table has legs, a dog has legs ergo my table is a dog and it'd have the same meaning as that.

Teams have however, had to trade out their first round pick (or multiple) to get gun players. Why should we assume a difference because one is numbered 1, instead of 8? There is no doubt to do this trade, should we, that Carltons pick is going to be the price. We may be able to put it in a situation that makes it just that instead of our 2020 pick to go with it.

The only question here is someone like Grundy worthwhile to do so at the inevitable bounty he'll command (and really, this would take a Franklin like deal for us to do it)? At what it'd take, yes, and no are both right answers.

This Grundy is an extra midfielder needs to be looked at a bit more Closer,
We would expect Rowell or Anderson once settled 30 Disposal a game, we would expect 15 contested, 300+metres gained,
Grundy getting 21 disposals 9 contested and 100metre gained, double Handball to Kicks,
ROB currently 13.7 disposals, 10 contested, 113metre gained,

We currently have ROB, Grundy next year may cost us, Rowell or Anderson,
on Disposal Grundy is only 2 kicks and 5 handball better than ROB
Most of the Other stats are Close,
If Grundy an extra Mid then ROB is not that far away from being an extra mid,

If we do manage to get Pick 1 - When was the last time AFC had a pick inside the top 3? One thing that helps win flags is talent and those type of players generally exist around pick 1. Not a given, but in the past few years I think it's safe to say Pick 1 has been pretty talented.

As someone else has mentioned the position of a ruckman is often overrated. Don't get me wrong Grundy is a beauty - probably a once in a lifetime style ruck. But guess what? Despite his talent, he still managed to get beat by Vardy and Lycett..

Give me Matt Rowell / Anderson every day of the week and if we're lucky enough to snag Grundy the following year as a FA then happy days. If not, meh.

Yes but there is a risk with pick 1. Granted its a nice risk to have and you know you will get something special but there is always a risk that things dont pan out or that injuries happen or that he suddenly wants to go home to mummy. Trading pick 1 for an already proven star in his prime makes total sense - you are getting exactly what you hope for out of a pick 1 but several years earlier.

Carlton are showing us all exactly how useful having Patrick Cripps is when the rest of the list is bog average. We take a pick one, hope that they stay long term, hope that they turn into a star and then potentially dont have the list to maximise.

Grundy is a huge asset that can join a list that is already good.

Yes but there is a risk with pick 1. Granted its a nice risk to have and you know you will get something special but there is always a risk that things dont pan out or that injuries happen or that he suddenly wants to go home to mummy. Trading pick 1 for an already proven star in his prime makes total sense - you are getting exactly what you hope for out of a pick 1 but several years earlier.

Carlton are showing us all exactly how useful having Patrick Cripps is when the rest of the list is bog average. We take a pick one, hope that they stay long term, hope that they turn into a star and then potentially dont have the list to maximise.

The inverse is that next year, there is a real chance we don't have the list to capitalise on a Grundy type. It's another year into the legs for a lot of key players, and we're one of the oldest outfits currently.

Possible could trade our two twos with GWS for their essendon pick (like Sydney did their 13 for carltons 2 2s pre mcgov trade). Help them with academy bids and give us more ammunition.

That said dont see pies not asking for no1 if they even consider letting him go a year early.
Agree..surely 22 and 25 is worth more than 13 in AFL trying to help GWS land

Plenty of that in game of thrones last night ... What an episode!
No spoilers ....I'm just starting Season 2 ......yes I'm a touch behind :$

Grundy is a COLL entrenched player .....they'll get the deal done & he wants to stay

Why wouldn't we spend pick 1 on Grundy?

I wouldn't, teams are built by strong drafting and enhanced by trading IMO.
We don't have pick 1 yet but if that were to happen why would we not draft the high end players who commentators are saying are of exceptional talent this year.
We may only get one chance at a pick 1 - 4 and that is this year. A chance like this has never existed in our history before, so keep the pick and take the best player available and hope our recruiters know their stuff.
Swapping a good player for another maintains or marginally improves the overall team but actually adding more quality pieces improves a squad.
That is the key... adding Grundy and the pick 1 - 4.

Grundy is a fine player but at present we are getting by with the talent we have on the list.
If we are set on Grundy and need draft capital to clench the deal we go into deficit the year after when our pick is less likely to be this high.
It can be done if our list managers hold their nerve and don't buckle in their negotiations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's some backwards logic there. I could say my table has legs, a dog has legs ergo my table is a dog and it'd have the same meaning as that.

Teams have however, had to trade out their first round pick (or multiple) to get gun players. Why should we assume a difference because one is numbered 1, instead of 8? There is no doubt to do this trade, should we, that Carltons pick is going to be the price. We may be able to put it in a situation that makes it just that instead of our 2020 pick to go with it.

The only question here is someone like Grundy worthwhile to do so at the inevitable bounty he'll command (and really, this would take a Franklin like deal for us to do it)? At what it'd take, yes, and no are both right answers.
Seems like Grundy might be a bit of a pipe dream with conflicting journalist reports, but if we wanted to mitigate pick 1 being demanded by the pies, I wonder if we look to trade it with GC for Rankine (assuming he gets over his hamstring and gets on the park) and the brisbane 1st they have (maybe giving our 2nd back to them). Then we could offer that pick and pick 19 to Collingwood for Grundy. we would be totally out of the draft until the end picks, but what would it really matter

"It’s understood Adelaide would have to offer at around $1.2 million per season to secure Grundy with Collingwood unlikely to match a market offer given its salary cap pressure.
Grundy could command a seven-year deal to come home to West Lakes."

Let's get the paperwork started

There's no doubting he's a stellar player. Huge talent, and a walk up start in every single team in the AFL.

But if it's a matter of matching salary, and maybe Collingwood struggling to do so, why wouldn't we go to the draft with pick 1-2 in the draft and then pick up Grundy as a free agent in a year?

Let's face it, he's not moving for chickenfeed. If we have to offer huge salary, and surely we would, then free agency is the go and not trading away the best draft pick we've ever had?

To prize him out of Collingwood in next trade period, we'd have to offer picks better than what they'd get as compensation, and still offer the mega salary.

If that can be done ok, but surely it's better to pick him up as a free agent where Collingwood get a compo pick which doesn't involve any trade by us?

Seems like Grundy might be a bit of a pipe dream with conflicting journalist reports, but if we wanted to mitigate pick 1 being demanded by the pies, I wonder if we look to trade it with GC for Rankine (assuming he gets over his hamstring and gets on the park) and the brisbane 1st they have (maybe giving our 2nd back to them). Then we could offer that pick and pick 19 to Collingwood for Grundy. we would be totally out of the draft until the end picks, but what would it really matter

You mean pick 3 Rankin?

He must have some serious red flags that he won't make it for GC to consider that trade.

There's no doubting he's a stellar player. Huge talent, and a walk up start in every single team in the AFL.

But if it's a matter of matching salary, and maybe Collingwood struggling to do so, why wouldn't we go to the draft with pick 1-2 in the draft and then pick up Grundy as a free agent in a year?

Let's face it, he's not moving for chickenfeed. If we have to offer huge salary, and surely we would, then free agency is the go and not trading away the best draft pick we've ever had?

To prize him out of Collingwood in next trade period, we'd have to offer picks better than what they'd get as compensation, and still offer the mega salary.

If that can be done ok, but surely it's better to pick him up as a free agent where Collingwood get a compo pick which doesn't involve any trade by us?
He's a restricted FA, so Collingwood match and we are at the trade table again.

Why not go early! Betts may not have retired by then

You mean pick 3 Rankin?

He must have some serious red flags that he won't make it for GC to consider that trade.
If rankine has made any noises about returning to SA or stalled on signing a contract extension gc could be sorely tempted to replace him with an elite mid and who knows they might have pick 2 themselves. Then they can take rowell and anderson both..not bad replacements

Now imagine this, Round 1 comes..

You've given up Pick 1 for your "proven star" - Grundy goes up, pop - there goes his ACL. How's that risk free Pick 1 going?

Just saying, if there's anything I've learnt about footy is nothing is a given. Personally, I'd much prefer we take the pick and move on.

Now imagine this, Round 1 comes..

You've given up Pick 1 for your "proven star" - Grundy goes up, pop - there goes his ACL. How's that risk free Pick 1 going?

Just saying, if there's anything I've learnt about footy is nothing is a given. Personally, I'd much prefer we take the pick and move on.
And the kid at pick 1 does the same in the vfl...

Grundy is a COLL entrenched player .....they'll get the deal done & he wants to stay

I think that this is the most likely scenario. But hopefully they'll have to stump up big time to retain him.

And in doing so, put them under enough cap pressure that they've got to shed players.

Or at the very least put them out of poaching anyone that we select round one later this year for years to come ;-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back