2018/19 Lower & Non-League Thread: Now featuring Sunderland AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Solihull's first appearance in the football league if I'm not mistaken?

Not yet, they have qualified for the playoffs. The playoff system in the National League more closely resembles the finals system in the A-League.
Explained below.

National League
_106619060_leyton_orient_getty.jpg

Leyton Orient have returned to the EFL after a two-year absence
Leyton Orient were promoted to League Two after drawing 0-0 with Braintree on the final day of the season to clinch the title.
In the first round of the play-offs, AFC Fylde meet Harrogate Town (1 May) while Wrexham host Eastleigh (2 May).
In the semi-finals, runners-up Solihull Moors will entertain Fylde or Harrogate (4 May) while the winners of Wrexham and Eastleigh will go to third-placed Salford City (5 May). The winners of the final (11 May) earn the second promotion place.

Last day of League One in a couple of hours (for most teams at least).

Wimbledon might make it through as they are but any result should make it a certainty especially with two of the teams below them (plymouth and sc unthorpe) playing each other.

Go Portsmouth! Watching Sunderland flounder in League One for as long as possible is amusing
I'd prefer if both were in the Championship because they are proud clubs. But unfortunately for them, only 1 (maybe even neither of them) will get that 3rd spot.

I myself am rooting for Doncaster (against Charlton) to get promoted because Herbie Kane (Liverpool loaneee) is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Wombles are staying in League One :D. Not the most exciting 0-0 draw last night but they needed the point and stayed out of the relegation zone on goal difference alone.

Carlisle finish the season in 11th after a 0-0 draw with relegated Yeovil Town. We finished only 3pts from a playoff spot, so it was a fairly tight season.

Notts County, one of the founding clubs of the English Football League were relegated to the fifth tier for the first time. 130 years after the founding of the league.
I don't know if there are any Notts County fans on this forum, but about 10 years ago the Daily Mail wrote an article on the most stressful football clubs to support, and County came out on top. Carlisle United came in third.:mad:

10 Worst Clubs to Follow

Carlisle finish the season in 11th after a 0-0 draw with relegated Yeovil Town. We finished only 3pts from a playoff spot, so it was a fairly tight season.

Notts County, one of the founding clubs of the English Football League were relegated to the fifth tier for the first time. 130 years after the founding of the league.
I don't know if there are any Notts County fans on this forum, but about 10 years ago the Daily Mail wrote an article on the most stressful football clubs to support, and County came out on top. Carlisle United came in third.:mad:

10 Worst Clubs to Follow
If Portsmouth get in the Championship they shouldn't be on that list.

10 Worst Clubs to Follow

Shame you guys missed out. Was hoping you could sneak in at the last minute. Sucks for these teams that just miss out, all that hard work and 50+ games just becomes nothing. Onwards to next season I suppose!

If Portsmouth get in the Championship they shouldn't be on that list.
I think when this article came out (2007) Portsmouth may have been in the Premier League, so they would still be disappointed that 10/12 years later they are only now making it back to the Championship.

Carlisle on the other hand were in their first season back in League One after consecutive promotions, we were in the Conference only two season before, so we should have been on a real high, yet we came in third.

I don't know if there are any Notts County fans on this forum, but about 10 years ago the Daily Mail wrote an article on the most stressful football clubs to support, and County came out on top.
Carlisle United came in third.:mad:

10 Worst Clubs to Follow

I do sypathise with Notts as they are a proud club but they shot themselves in the foot with mismanagement.
Doesn't feel that long ago they had Sven Goran Eriksen, Sol Campbell and David James in the hope of rising up the leagues.

Took a bit of an interest in them this year after they sacked Kevin Nolan and brought in Harry Kewell.
They didn't even give him half a season or a transfer window and also gave him the ass.
So clearly it's not the managers fault here and they either had a s**t squad or a dysfunctional & nonperforming one.

It's a hell of a fight to get out of the Vanarama League...

It's a hell of a fight to get out of the Vanarama League...

Certainly is. That bottleneck to fight for top spot or then squeeze into the playoffs is intense. Barnet and Chesterfield would have favoured ourselves plenty to go straight back up and both copped an early reality check and couldn't catch up. Certainly a tough league to go up into

12 years ago Bolton finished high enough in the Premier League to qualify for the Europa League. In it they drew both group games with Bayern Munich and qualified for the knockout round where they eliminated Atletico Madrid and then lost by a single goal over two legs to Sporting Lisbon.

Now for next season they will play in League One beginning dead last with a 12 point penalty.

12 years ago Bolton finished high enough in the Premier League to qualify for the Europa League. In it they drew both group games with Bayern Munich and qualified for the knockout round where they eliminated Atletico Madrid and then lost by a single goal over two legs to Sporting Lisbon.

Now for next season they will play in League One beginning dead last with a 12 point penalty.

12 point deduction is just brutal. Sad that the suffering fans, who've already sat through a relegation, will be impacted like that. But it needs to be out there to send a message to the owners that they can't just come in and do what they want. Hopefully Bolton bounce back and get themselves back up there.

Does anyone know where Portsmouth is at in terms of finances? I know they were in a similar situation, going down to League 2, but seem to be on the up now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back