Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd

I find it absolutely crazy that we weren't even considering him until Charlie moved on?!

I thought he was well worth at the very least a rookie spot regardless of Charlie being here or not, and could be used as a small forward/defender. Showed a lot to like in the SANFL I thought. Absolutely ecstatic he's on our list now and making some great inroads, and maybe what Hamish says to players, and what he is actually thinking is quite different so that they keep the hunger and don't get complacent, but I liked him a lot regardless.

Rare you get someone with his speed, aggression, strength and such a booming kick. Hopefully he keeps this upward trajectory.

I find it absolutely crazy that we weren't even considering him until Charlie moved on?!

I thought he was well worth at the very least a rookie spot regardless of Charlie being here or not, and could be used as a small forward/defender. Showed a lot to like in the SANFL I thought. Absolutely ecstatic he's on our list now and making some great inroads, and maybe what Hamish says to players, and what he is actually thinking is quite different so that they keep the hunger and don't get complacent, but I liked him a lot regardless.

Rare you get someone with his speed, aggression, strength and such a booming kick. Hopefully he keeps this upward trajectory.

Could be question marks on his tools, or simply we thought there was no shot of him making it whilst we had Charlie.

That is a near impenetrable road block after all seeing Charlie's defensive prowess, and electric pace.

He is however, a very viable replacement.

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
I don't get to see much SANFL - [country SA gets QLD Tv] but in 2017 Murphy as a small defender how did he go?

What I'm getting at is if we ever need to "Go full Blighty" could he be swung down back on a damaging small forward?

With the determination he has shown to succeed I would think he would be a very difficult opposition as he seems to hate to be beaten.

Up against a team such as Richmond may be an ace!

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I don't get to see much SANFL - [country SA gets QLD Tv] but in 2017 Murphy as a small defender how did he go?

What I'm getting at is if we ever need to "Go full Blighty" could he be swung down back on a damaging small forward?

With the determination he has shown to succeed I would think he would be a very difficult opposition as he seems to hate to be beaten.

Up against a team such as Richmond may be an ace!
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-10-06/murphy-earns-bailey-award

A courageous defender, Murphy averaged 16 disposals, four marks and three rebound 50ms a game as a mainstay of the Club’s SANFL backline.

The long-kicking left-footer impressed on debut in Adelaide’s two-point win over reigning premiers Sturt and earned the opening nomination for the SANFL’s Breakthrough Player award.

Murphy ranked second at the SANFL Crows for effective kicks (126), handballs received (106) and rebound 50ms (51) and finished third at the Club for marks (72) and disposals (286). He also collected more intercept possessions (88) than any other Crow outside of League leader Tom Doedee.

The skillful small showed his versatility in Adelaide’s final game of the season by booting two goals in the Club’s thrilling clash with South Adelaide.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...k/news-story/efcbe97739c2f9d9e12faaad91a8cfd0

LACHLAN Murphy thought he had made it last year when he was selling Eddie Betts guernseys and badges and the Adelaide pocket rocket would pop into the club’s Crowmania store to say hello and ask how his weekend was.

Now, according to Betts, Murphy wants the Eddie Betts Pocket at Adelaide Oval renamed the Eddie Murphy Pocket.

“It's clever,’’ noted Betts as he gatecrashed Murphy’s interview with The Advertiser.

“But I’m not having any of it, I said no.’’

The banter — and friendship — between the pair is obvious.

Murphy has gone from selling Betts souvenirs and heat-pressing his number (18) onto the back of guernseys to being his small forward sidekick.

“I thought it was pretty cool last year when he would come up and talk to me, give me the occasional high five and ask how my weekend was and how I’d gone in the SANFL,’’ teenager Murphy, 19, said.

The 173cm small forward/midfielder made the last cut for Victorian under-12, 15 and 16 State teams but never made the final team.

And he missed out on being drafted when he was first eligible in 2016, despite winning TAC Cup side Northern Knights’ best and fairest award from just 10 games — when his best friend, Matthew Signorello, was picked by the Crows.

It was only thought his friendship with Signorello — “we were best mates from the time we met at school (Ivanhoe Grammar) in Year 7,’’ Murphy said — that he ended up at Adelaide.

“I’m very family-oriented (he has two younger brothers, Blake, 17, and Sebastian, 10) and questioned whether I wanted to move away from them, so it was tough,’’ he said.

“Obviously I was shattered at not being drafted and there was some interest from some VFL clubs so I wasn’t quite sure what to do. It was tough and I asked for a couple of weeks to think about it.

“But in the end I thought that you only get one crack at an opportunity like this and while the odds might be still stacked against me getting drafted it would be worth giving it a go.

“Even if it didn’t lead to anything I thought getting the exposure of playing in an AFL environment, even if it was with the Crows’ SANFL team, could be pretty cool, so I took up the offer.’’

A breath of fresh air to talk to because of his drive and bubbly personality, Murphy bases his game on forward 50 pressure, saying “it’s my main role in the side’’.

But he loves celebrating a goal and makes no apologies for his animation.

“It’s because as a kid the thing I loved most about football — and still do — is watching a player kicking a goal on the run and the crowd all going up as one,’’ said Murphy.

“I used to dream about that scenario so for me to actually be that player in the last quarter against Geelong was amazing.

“Sometimes I can’t control my body (celebrations), to be honest, and probably celebrate a bit too much but I think it’s just because of my love for the game and knowing how hard it was for me to get to this position and that I don’t want to waste a second or any opportunity.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Got to admit at not being too excited by Murph initially - a rookie small forward with not too many tools?

I'm really glad he's proving me wrong. One of my fave's now.

I was most impressed with his little interview at the end of the Geelong game last week, where he made it clear he's done it the hard way and in no way take it for granted.

Got a bit of the Sloane's about him in that he's clearly busting his gut and going that much harder than the others around him.
He's got a great attitude and without having any insight into it I'd assume he's a bit of a fave with the players as well because of it.

He's also faster and a better kick than I gave him credit for.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Thought this bit of play was brilliant from the little man, huge bump, the follow-up HTB tackle then to slot the goal to put is in front after the qtr time siren was just beautiful. Should play every game for the rest of the year.

Nice. A well done from the great man Matty Crouch too.

Cockwomble

All Australian
May 3, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whyalla under 9's
Really like Murph hes a nice young man, had a chat with him when buying some gear on a trip down . His pressure is huge, will be well pissed if he's dropped.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Have to admit I've liked what Lachie Murphy brings to the table ever since I saw him running around in the midfield for the Northern Knights over here.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/70376641e991e0b473b2a0c1f031dd33

Warren Tredrea: Have Adelaide Crows finally found a replacement for Charlie Cameron?
1557801301355.png

Have Adelaide finally found their forward-50 Energizer Bunny?
For the past 12 months the Crows have rued the loss of pressure forward Charlie Cameron to Brisbane and been unable to replace his lightning speed and tackling pressure.
But all of a sudden, the faith being showed in small forward Lachie Murphy by coach Don Pyke is paying dividends in Adelaide’s forward half.
They just might have found the answer to their forward pressure issues.
Go back 12 months and the football world wasn’t convinced the loss of Cameron to Brisbane would hurt Adelaide that much. But by season’s end the Crows forward-half tackling pressure had fallen off a cliff.
And while Cameron averaged more than four tackles per game in the Crows’ march to the 2017 Grand Final, he also kicked an impressive 29 goals.
Now a Lion, Cameron’s in career-best form — averaging 13 disposals and 1.5 goals per game (12) in season 2019.
This Saturday Charlie and his Lions host the Crows, and all of a sudden it looks like we could be treated to a forward-pressure masterclass.
After the first four rounds of 2019 the Crows were at the crossroads, with only one win from four games.
They couldn’t win enough football at the contest let alone generate enough pressure on their opposition to win it back — put simply they were too easy to play against.
Fast forward a month, they now sit 5-3 after eight rounds and much of it has to do with the 19-game Energizer Bunny Lachlan Murphy.
Averaging 12 disposals and a goal a game, Murphy’s hitting his straps. And while he has a long way to go replicate or even better Cameron’s output, he’s on the right track.

In Saturday’s night’s Showdown, he proved as much, gathering an impressive 11 disposals, laying an unbelievable 11 tackles of which eight were inside the 50 metre arc. He also had two goal assists and kicked one himself — it was a very good performance in 88 per cent game time.
On the field Murphy is playing on edge, he knows that giving anything less than 100 per cent won’t cut it. He’s been brilliant.
He’s not in the team for his brute strength, clearance dominance or ball-winning ability — he is there to bring the heat.
And when he spoke to FIVEaa football immediately after the Saturday night’s dour 20-point Showdown win, he was asked what it is that coach Don Pyke expects from him every week? words like ‘Pressure, intent, having a dip, tackle and bring speed’ quickly rolled off his tongue.
It’s was obvious to all 49,675 Showdown fans on Saturday night why Murphy’s played every game in 2019, and what he has to do to stay there for the rest of the season.
No matter who you support, it’s hard not to appreciate what Lachie Murphy is bringing to Adelaide’s forward line — he’s playing for his life.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He has to keep this level, but the guy wants it bad enough so I see no reason why he couldn't.

I reckon he benefits from the shift away from JJ. Himmelberg creates the contest meaning the next ball is under pressure..... Murphy is almost always there.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Two of my favourite crows are Murphy and Milera, for opposite reasons. Milera because he is one of the classiest, most natural footballers I've seen In a crows Guernsey of recent times, and Murphy because he is one of, if not the most determined player in the AFL at present.

Up forward, Riley Knight used to be unparalleled in our side as an aggressor, a tackler and a gut runner who gives his all. However Murphy has just completely outdone him in these raw attributes.

Yes he isn't silky in his movement or disposal, but the amount of 2 on 1, 2 on 3 or even 1 on 3 contests he has broken even in or won, are absolutely unreal. And it isn't from size, strength, speed or unnatural levels of footballing ability, but through a work rate that quite honestly I don't believe his opponents anticipate until it's too late.

His tackle on Broadbent is an example from the showdown. He competed for the mark in the air, hit the ground and immediately chased down the opposition player with the ball, and when the releasing handball to Broadbent was given, immediately turned and ran him down before Broadbent could process where the "extra" crows player had come from.

He may not ever win best and fairests for us, or lead our goal kicking, but I'll be damned if a player out there bar Sloane gives his all each week like Murphy gives it.

Love having him as part of the club.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Really is starting to find his feet as that defensive small. Could have a long career too at it, as the offensive is at an ok standard for the role.
Relies on a 100% work effort ......if he drops that, he hasn't the tricks to compensate .....but give me a Murphy over a Wingard anyday

Relies on a 100% work effort ......if he drops that, he hasn't the tricks to compensate .....but give me a Murphy over a Wingard anyday

All defensive forwards are like that. Players usually end up in that position due to effort, and a lack of tricks.

I'm confident Murphy won't drop, seems the type that'd understand he is never a comfortable best 22 option.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Two of my favourite crows are Murphy and Milera, for opposite reasons. Milera because he is one of the classiest, most natural footballers I've seen In a crows Guernsey of recent times, and Murphy because he is one of, if not the most determined player in the AFL at present.

Up forward, Riley Knight used to be unparalleled in our side as an aggressor, a tackler and a gut runner who gives his all. However Murphy has just completely outdone him in these raw attributes.

Yes he isn't silky in his movement or disposal, but the amount of 2 on 1, 2 on 3 or even 1 on 3 contests he has broken even in or won, are absolutely unreal. And it isn't from size, strength, speed or unnatural levels of footballing ability, but through a work rate that quite honestly I don't believe his opponents anticipate until it's too late.

His tackle on Broadbent is an example from the showdown. He competed for the mark in the air, hit the ground and immediately chased down the opposition player with the ball, and when the releasing handball to Broadbent was given, immediately turned and ran him down before Broadbent could process where the "extra" crows player had come from.

He may not ever win best and fairests for us, or lead our goal kicking, but I'll be damned if a player out there bar Sloane gives his all each week like Murphy gives it.

Love having him as part of the club.
Supporters love players who bleed for their club ......Murphy's effort the other week to take that mark running into the oncoming pack was superb

Sloane slipped down the draft order, because he was seen as vanilla with average skills & not a lot of tricks .......effort & determination has always got you a long way in this game .......JJ you reading this ?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
All defensive forwards are like that. Players usually end up in that position due to effort, and a lack of tricks.

I'm confident Murphy won't drop, seems the type that'd understand he is never a comfortable best 22 option.
This ....knows he has 2-3 players breathing down his neck

For me, he could easily do Browns defensive role too

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
This ....knows he has 2-3 players breathing down his neck

For me, he could easily do Browns defensive role too
Well he is keeping a few lads in the SANFL with his performances and does not look like he will relinquish that spot in the near future. Playing each week has given him the confidence he needs to do what he does at his best. Enjoying what he us bringing..keep it up fella

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What I like most about Murphy is he doesn't ever give up no matter how far the opposition player is in front of him.

If he chooses to chase he is 100 percent committed.

I haven't actually been to a game this year, so I can't say from watching the TV, but my gut feel is he is a very smart chaser. The reason I say this is because he doesn't seem to be out of breath when chasing.

If I compare that to Knight, even though he has an amazing tank, I've often seem him look buggered chasing a player to the point where he's clearly not catching them, let alone tackling him. With Murphy he always looks like he's in with a chance, which must put added pressure on the opposition player.

As long as he's kicking goals happy to have him up forward. Like others, if the goals dry up would like to see him tried I'm defence.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have to admit I've liked what Lachie Murphy brings to the table ever since I saw him running around in the midfield for the Northern Knights over here.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/70376641e991e0b473b2a0c1f031dd33

Warren Tredrea: Have Adelaide Crows finally found a replacement for Charlie Cameron?
View attachment 673605

Finally found a replacement?

That wording is amusing given we only played a season without Charlie before having Murphy this year

Back