Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on. There was a game earlier this season where astbury screamed at him to stay down after he went into the pack and the oppo ran away with it. It's that split second thing isn't it? If he does go, then who gets the loose ball; if he doesn't then he's seen as weak.

He’s scared. If given the time he will convince himself to commit but if it happens quickly he pulls out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everyone contributed and could pick highlights from all of em but I don’t think he was the 2nd most important player on the ground.
Yeah, I picked out something he could have done better and your right it wasn’t theonly one but I did say it to point out he didn’t stop trying. I think he’s reslilent and a leader now. But I’ll be surprised of he stays.

Do you think he’s worth being one of the top ten earners at the club?
probably not but im not im not qualified to answer that, would be offering him 2 mil over 4 and advising his manager there wont be much wriggle room.

my biggest beef with his critics is how easily replaceable he will be, they say....elite runner, excellent mark one on one with similar size n shape, 50m both feet no prob, reliable set shot, showing leadership finally, good link player, disiplines, durable body never gets injured, good run with player whos towelled up brayshaw in his last assignment

makes dusty and prestia better players by always keeping tabs on their opponenents while they go for the big plays coz thats what the do, etc etc etc, brandon was considered top 3 of his draft year but was soon downgraded to one trick sissy boy/panic merchant by the masses..... but dimma made him go back to basics and made hlm get his hands dirty and 2018 wasnt great but deep down dimma kept the faith and made him keep working harder and even more defensively oriented when most were screaming wing or bust.

2019 version now seems a much more rounded version of a wingman whos got the trust of his team with or without the ball. complete B+ package for mine.

Its not that im not a fan of Ellis as i have him rated as a good ordinary player thats very outside and doesnt have an inside game, I have never potted him in his career and he has been a decent servant of the club and is a premiership player thats been on very good money based on his previous contract being in the top 25% earners at the club.

But i believe we have many players to replace him that show more upside going foward for cheaper coin that would allow us to keep younger more talented players like Bolton,Stack,Baker,Naish,Ross,RCD,CCJ etc. For the amount he will get offered the compo pick to me is more appealing.
I see it the same way so this is what I will do if a poster calls me a Hater. I will copy your post and continue to post it until it starts to make sense to these Lovers.

better stick to evolution and supercoach mate, much more your style, if hes a good ordinary player why you backpeddling and too scared to bet AGAINST him as top 5 in JD
im pretty sure you been spruiking for at least 10 ahead of him for JD and easily replaceable, not best 22 going forward etc etc etc rah rah rah. hardwick loves him coz hes a bloody good footballer and and fantastic role player.
Hardwick once loved Conca , Lids, Lloyd, CEllis and by gosh Tyrone was his pet. The childish notion that the coach loves a player is total rubbish as a coach generally loves every player on their list. Why would he suggest otherwise. You can pull an interview with Dimma where he’s asked about a player and he will speak highly of him in public. He would look like a fool if he didn’t.

This is not to say when its his turn he doesn't go, but I think he just get confused when he should go.
exactly...... that fyfe one was with 2 minutes to go when we were 37 odd points up and ellis had clocked up 92 minutes game time so a bit of confusion and tiredness no doubt plus it was fyfe magic that made it look worst.

Hardwick once loved Conca , Lids, Lloyd, CEllis and by gosh Tyrone was his pet. The childish notion that the coach loves a player is total rubbish as a coach generally loves every player on their list. Why would he suggest otherwise. You can pull an interview with Dimma where he’s asked about a player and he will speak highly of him in public. He would look like a fool if he didn’t.
your having a guess and then stating your opinion as fact. i disagree completely

your having a guess and then stating your opinion as fact. i disagree completely
Seriously mate you’ve missed the point as i can only recall KDH praising players especially in interviews and even after dropping them.
I’ll simplify it for you now. Do you reckon KDH loves Higgins Bolton KMac or whoever lesser than Brando? Lol what a load of horse s**t.
Prove me wrong. As I said he once publicly adored all those names mentioned so your comment was pointless.
It was just as bad as the childish comments you used to read on here that the boys loved Reece. They’re a team and tightly knit unit so they all love one another . These comments are just frivolous and childish to me as they’re self explanatory and expected in majority of teams. Wank wank say no more.

Last edited:
hes a role player so most weeks he is expected to contribute/sacrifice and let the stars shine, prob wont get near top 3 but id be offering him 2 mil over 4years in a heartbeat.
Please make a list on what you would pay our players - I would really love to see your valuations taking into consideration the known contracts

Im sure you must believe our salary cap is around $18 million

Please make a list on what you would pay our players - I would really love to see your valuations taking into consideration the known contracts

Im sure you must believe our salary cap is around $18 million
i get your point but let brando know what we think is fair and reasonable and let him and his manager decide. got a feeling a few WA clubs will come knockin on a few doors tryin to create a bit of homesickness with fistfuls of cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i get your point but let brando know what we think is fair and reasonable and let him and his manager decide. got a feeling a few WA clubs will come knockin on a few doors tryin to create a bit of homesickness with fistfuls of cash.

That kind of works the other way round with Free Agency matter

Manager : Hy Blair we have an offer thats pretty good
BH: What the range
Manager : $650k x 5
BH : Thats about double what we can pay with where we are at
Manager: Cool well lets see if Brando accepts $300k less but most likely not
BH: Wish him all the best at Norff and tell him he is always welcome after he retires for the reunion

probably not but im not im not qualified to answer that, would be offering him 2 mil over 4 and advising his manager there wont be much wriggle room.

my biggest beef with his critics is how easily replaceable he will be, they say....elite runner, excellent mark one on one with similar size n shape, 50m both feet no prob, reliable set shot, showing leadership finally, good link player, disiplines, durable body never gets injured, good run with player whos towelled up brayshaw in his last assignment

makes dusty and prestia better players by always keeping tabs on their opponenents while they go for the big plays coz thats what the do, etc etc etc, brandon was considered top 3 of his draft year but was soon downgraded to one trick sissy boy/panic merchant by the masses..... but dimma made him go back to basics and made hlm get his hands dirty and 2018 wasnt great but deep down dimma kept the faith and made him keep working harder and even more defensively oriented when most were screaming wing or bust.

2019 version now seems a much more rounded version of a wingman whos got the trust of his team with or without the ball. complete B+ package for mine.
I agree with alot of that.
Brando is in the top 3% out of everyone who plays footy in the country, he’s not a promising player he’s a great player.
He’s also a great example of getting the best out of yourself and resilience. He isn’t the type of player that will have two moments of brilliant natural talent to help get by after an average game, he’s an effort based guy and he’s having a better year and staying ahead of the kids.
I respect the way he’s made his career and still is, I guess we’ll see what happens.

I agree with alot of that.
Brando is in the top 3% out of everyone who plays footy in the country, he’s not a promising player he’s a great player.
He’s also a great example of getting the best out of yourself and resilience. He isn’t the type of player that will have two moments of brilliant natural talent to help get by after an average game, he’s an effort based guy and he’s having a better year and staying ahead of the kids.
I respect the way he’s made his career and still is, I guess we’ll see what happens.

Yep, good comments. The challenge is though, the better his season, the more open he becomes to offers we can't match, even if the Club wants to. If a another Club had to genuinely trade for him, we'd probably get to keep him, but Free Agency changes all that. If Clubs were capless, then no problems!

hes a role player so most weeks he is expected to contribute/sacrifice and let the stars shine, prob wont get near top 3 but id be offering him 2 mil over 4years in a heartbeat.
That is ridiculous money. You realise he was dropped last year and again this year. You would only want to give that money to a very good footballer, not one who has some flaws, flaws that the match committee see not us posters here. I see the good and the not so good with Brando, right now he deserves his spot. No way you can guarantee that over the next 4 years.

Look at 5:05 on the Richmond v Freo highlights, amateur attempt to spoil. Vlaustin or any seasoned backman, even Stack would have turned around and marked or attempted to mark that ball. Ellis went half hearted and coughed up a goal. This is why people criticise Ellis, all the hard work gets undone so easily.

That is ridiculous money. You realise he was dropped last year and again this year. You would only want to give that money to a very good footballer, not one who has some flaws, flaws that the match committee see not us posters here. I see the good and the not so good with Brando, right now he deserves his spot. No way you can guarantee that over the next 4 years.

Tough, but in what is a footballing business, FAIR! The only way I see that money offered is if the majority of his games to season's end are like that on the weekend. Recent history (2 years) doesn't support that atm. The irony lost on some is if he does maintain this form we might even be refusing to match higher RFA offers.

I'm more than reasonable. I might have agreed with you if you had bothered to read what I've said and then referred to what I've said accurately. However you consistently apportion comments or attitudes to me about Brandon that are plainly wrong. You've said 'you guys slag him off', but I haven't. I've been on here defending his value and form. I've asked questions. If anything I'm the stupid bastard in the middle. Address the deeds, don't attack the character is what I try and do.

You keep saying Brandon is not treated like the other player(s)! Guess what? - they aren't entering RFA! That's the single reason, that IN THE BRANDON ELLIS THREAD, that Brandon's entitlements to RFA are being discussed. You keep ignoring that it is also good for Brandon. He gets to consider his options on the back of his improved football form. That is good for Brandon, that is good for Richmond. You have to get over it. You can't have a full frank discussion if you can't talk about all the possible options including Compensation Picks. My goodness, how are you going to be when players move to another Club mid-season?
calm down lol, i dont want to argue with you. the guy is a whipping boy, we all know that, he gets potted as soon as we lose, when he plays well its great as it up his value. my main point still stands

calm down lol, i dont want to argue with you. the guy is a whipping boy, we all know that, he gets potted as soon as we lose, when he plays well its great as it up his value. my main point still stands
Go to 5:05 on the Richmond v Freo highlights (Rich/Website) tell me what you think of that. Am I potting him, or could he have done better.

Go to 5:05 on the Richmond v Freo highlights (Rich/Website) tell me what you think of that. Am I potting him, or could he have done better.
cbf, maybe later lol
the guy had a good game , give him a break haha

Plenty calm. Stop responding and being embittered by conversations that go beyond a few good games when you don't want to discuss it more broadly then. It's done! Buy the footy record and stay happy mate.:rainbow:

Last edited:
cbf, maybe later lol
the guy had a good game , give him a break haha
Seriously. Stop looking through rose coloured glasses. I realise he had a good game and that he has been a good player, but that effort was not good. Vlaustin takes them every match and makes it look easy, he was on his own virtually with some perceived pressure. No wonder you think he is hard done by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back