Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy McKenna.

Didn't make the greatest coach but was the scapegoat for GC. As a player easily the best HBF i've seen play the game. I'd almost go as far to say that enright is the single most overrated player of the modern era and McKenna the most underrated.
Yep Bluey was my favourite player. So reliable.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barry Robran

Not my era, but according to blokes that were around then, he could be considered the greatest player of all time.

Yes he didnt ply his wares in the VFL... but in 1972 his Roosters beat Carlton (the VFL premiers at the time) in the Championship game.

David Dench
Barry Robran
Geoff Southby
Jocka Todd
Peter Knights
John Greening
Brent Crosswell (best big time player to play for Carlton ever)
Barry Cable
Polly Farmer
Peter Bedford
Bob Skilton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never enough love was show to Sav Rocca. 748 goals, 9+ goals on 7 occasions, 40+ goal seasons in 10 seasons including 5 seasons of 65+ and 1 93 goal season.

The big savaloy!
Hated when he marked it 55-60 out because you just knew he'd roost it home and get the crowd up and about

Swan McKay from Carlton.
Bernice Quinlan is probably the most underrated superstar from the old VFL days, what a legend he was.

David Dench
Barry Robran
Geoff Southby
Jocka Todd
Peter Knights
John Greening
Brent Crosswell (best big time player to play for Carlton ever)
Barry Cable
Polly Farmer
Peter Bedford
Bob Skilton

Did you ever see John Greening play ? Such a tragedy that his flourishing, future HOF career was ruined by an act of gutless thuggery.

Old Time Pies fans tell me he could have been the best Collingwood player in history.

Guy McKenna.

Didn't make the greatest coach but was the scapegoat for GC. As a player easily the best HBF i've seen play the game. I'd almost go as far to say that enright is the single most overrated player of the modern era and McKenna the most underrated.

Well that is a weird take.

If anyone from Geelong that was overrated it was Scarlett, not Enright.

Joel Corey another underrated champion.

James Hird

Did you ever see John Greening play ? Such a tragedy that his flourishing, future HOF career was ruined by an act of gutless thuggery.

Old Time Pies fans tell me he could have been the best Collingwood player in history.
I saw him play twice I think when I was very young...both times against Geelong. Most Pies fans my age or older will tell you that he could have been the best Collingwood player ever. Having seen Daicos, Buckley, Pendlebury and Carman ( a flawed genius if there ever was one), I'd say JG was equal in skills and courage to any of them. I'd be pretty confident that Greening would have at least matched their careers. That just leaves Bob Rose....

I saw him play twice I think when I was very young...both times against Geelong. Most Pies fans my age or older will tell you that he could have been the best Collingwood player ever. Having seen Daicos, Buckley, Pendlebury and Carman ( a flawed genius if there ever was one), I'd say JG was equal in skills and courage to any of them. I'd be pretty confident that Greening would have at least matched their careers. That just leaves Bob Rose....

Very sad reading that. Wonder how Jim O'Dea could live with himself tbh.

FYI Daicos is still the best Pies player I ever saw play (born 1980). It's a real shame he played before the age of the Internet and Social Media, many of the goals he kicked and on-field wizardry was so impressive.

Very sad reading that. Wonder how Jim O'Dea could live with himself tbh.

FYI Daicos is still the best Pies player I ever saw play (born 1980). It's a real shame he played before the age of the Internet and Social Media, many of the goals he kicked and on-field wizardry was so impressive.
It is - but its also a reminder of how utterly random life is. O'Dea could have hit him a dozen times and not done the damage he did. The game was full of thuggery back then. Greening was dreadfully unlucky. There's some YouTube videos of his career highlights which just leave you wanting more. There's also a video of accepting a life membership award at Collingwood a couple of years ago. You can tell that he is still affected by the incident. FWIW the best Carlton player I've seen was Jesaulenko (pretty similar to Daicos but a better mark and a little tougher I suspect)

The big savaloy!
Hated when he marked it 55-60 out because you just knew he'd roost it home and get the crowd up and about
The competition had its fair share who could roost it from 60 goal post high in the ‘90s. Nowadays you question players making the distance from 45-50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back