Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have to persist with him. Looks like he's not far away from it clicking for him.

And yet we all know he'll be dropped this week for Thompson.

On LG-H990 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he isn't an automatic inclusion after the suspension (don't get me started on that farce), then he should ask to be traded at the end of the year. He would be a walk up start in plenty of other teams.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If he isn't an automatic inclusion after the suspension (don't get me started on that farce), then he should ask to be traded at the end of the year. He would be a walk up start in plenty of other teams.

I GET that you're pissed with the way the game is right now, I truly do, but it's not the players mate.

Moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic isn't going to fix anything.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I GET that you're pissed with the way the game is right now, I truly do, but it's not the players mate.

Moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic isn't going to fix anything.
The point I am trying to make, is that if Durdin can not get back into the senior side because of the way selection works under this cluster of an administration, why would he want to stay?

There is a reason we can not attract 'high profile' players to the club, despite offering them more money than they could spend. The whole thing is a shambles.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The point I am trying to make, is that if Durdin can not get back into the senior side because of the way selection works under this cluster of an administration, why would he want to stay?

I wonder that myself.

e.g. What would Clarkson do with Ahern?

There is a reason we can not attract 'high profile' players to the club, despite offering them more money than they could spend. The whole thing is a shambles.

.............again.

"The fish rots at the head" - retired North legend

Folks need to stop playing supercoach and picking out random players as the blame/cure for things, It's not the case.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm all about winning games but at this stage surely we put games into the kids.

The kids aren't relegated to boundary umpiring because Scott Thompson is in the best 22.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
The kids aren't relegated to boundary umpiring because Scott Thompson is in the best 22.

Yes but he can educate the kids in the 2's rather than take opportunities off them in the ones. There is no long-term benefit in him playing 1's at this stage, certainly not whilst McKay, Durdin and Watson are in need of further exposure.

Seems counterproductive to our long term future to me and exactly the opposite of what good coaches would do.

How's Marc Murphy working out for you?

Yes but he can educate the kids in the 2's rather than take opportunities off them in the ones. There is no long-term benefit in him playing 1's at this stage, certainly not whilst McKay, Durdin and Watson are in need of further exposure.

Seems counterproductive to our long term future to me and exactly the opposite of what good coaches would do.

How's Marc Murphy working out for you?

Huh?

Marc Murphy plays for Carlton.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Huh?

Marc Murphy plays for Carlton.

Yes I know this. Mr Symbiosis wanted to pick up that jellyfish during trade period.

It's time to invest in our top end selections, not worry about week to week results.

Season is shot, I'd be playing our round 1 2020 team from here on in. Add a top 2 pick, Jacobs, Evw, Daw and a new coach and who knows, we could easily be top 4.

Finishing honourable 12th this year achieved nothing unless some of those wins occur with a young (for us) team.

My 2 pesos.

Yes I know this. Mr Symbiosis wanted to pick up that jellyfish during trade period.

It's time to invest in our top end selections, not worry about week to week results.

Season is shot, I'd be playing our round 1 2020 team from here on in. Add a top 2 pick, Jacobs, Evw, Daw and a new coach and who knows, we could easily be top 4.

Finishing honourable 12th this year achieved nothing unless some of those wins occur with a young (for us) team.

My 2 pesos.

Fair call then, I missed that. I thought any talk of picking up Marc Murphy for North stopped about a decade ago. Surely there's no-one left who still wants him?

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Fair call then, I missed that. I thought any talk of picking up Marc Murphy for North stopped about a decade ago. Surely there's no-one left who still wants him?

If there were any takers they surely disappeared after his game against us a few weeks back.

He makes Hrovat look like a warrior.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes but he can educate the kids in the 2's rather than take opportunities off them in the ones.............

With one minor exception...........he's in our best ****ing 22.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder that myself.

e.g. What would Clarkson do with Ahern?

.............again.

"The fish rots at the head" - retired North legend

Folks need to stop playing supercoach and picking out random players as the blame/cure for things, It's not the case.

I don't think any of the posters in this forum believe that if their chosen selections are made then North will automatically become a top 4 side. The general consensus seems to be that we are a few years off but we do have a core of very good young talent to build around on the proviso that the young talent is well managed a developed. Part of that is getting games into the guys that you really want to hit their straps in two to three years now.

Scotty Thompson has been a fine servant of the club and will probably perform better on a week to week basis than Durdin, but will not be there in two to three years. There is also a range of other mid-aged players who have been around for a while and we seem to have found their ceiling, and that ceiling is not elite. Turner and McDonald are the prime examples of this who get regular games without question by the coaching staff.

There needs to be some calls made now to get games into LDU, Ahern, Bailey, Durdin etc now rather than trying to eke out a ten win season that may save the coaches bacon.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Scotty Thompson has IS been a fine servant of the club

EFA.

There needs to be some calls made now to get games into LDU, Ahern, Bailey, Durdin etc now rather than trying to eke out a ten win season that may save the coaches bacon.

The whole AFL "development" angle is supercoach mentality stuff, and anything based upon that false premise falls over.

Back